Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Bought that at the pier in Amsterdam.

IMG_20190522_001452_975.thumb.jpg.859654aa465ae44cf3f738d535713887.jpg

She had a cool 'Russian' hat from Estonia, but she gave it away. Probably wishes she still had it.

20200903_172534.thumb.jpg.07b90ec94dcc817bff51fa24f95d636f.jpg

Yes that's the one I remember from your review.  That's nice of her to give away.  Hopefully that person is enjoying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you for all this information.    Sure does sound like a great option.    if you don't mind me asking, where are you staying?

Sounds like getting a test there would be a lot quicker than trying to get one around here.    We do have the option to work from home or wherever we have internet so quarantine before departure or even if needed when I get home would not be an issue for us.  

I've learned more about the different types of Covid testing than I care to know.  LOL. Check out Aruba.com as their testing requirements do change occasionally but basically you need to take a PCR test which takes 2-5 days.   There are rapid PCR test where you can get results back within a few hours but most places I called only have a limited supply and therefore prioritize who can take those.....and understandably, travel to the Aruba is not high on that list. They might be more available now however.

The other type of rapid Covid test is called Antigen where results are back in an hour or less. But Aruba does not accept those as they are less accurate. That was my backup plan if I didn;t get my regular PCR results back in time. Take the Antigen test before leaving here so I would have a reasonable good chance of knowing I would pass the PCR test at the Aruba airport.

The resort I stayed at was a small, 72 room boutique type place called Manchebo Beach Resort. Laid back, quiet with a huge, spread out beach as you can see my previous picture.  Perfect place to relax but if you have children, they will be bored out of their minds. It's mostly a couples place. Check out the reviews on CC's sister site, TripAdvisor. It's only a 10 minute cab ride to the high rise hotels should you desire "high energy" action, although thanks to the pandemic, it's not quite a high energy as it used to be.

Got for it. You won't regret it.  Plus, most hotels have flexible cancellations polices so if you change mind and cancel before 24 hours of arrival, full refund.  And it won't take 3-5 months like certain cruise lines. 😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mets07 said:

I just finished this book. Really enjoyed it, but quite long (especially in large print - ha). I did not read any of the previous ones. 📚

The previous ones are awesome too, if you've got time -- go for it -- it gives you "perspective" 😁

I'm in mid book and quite struggling with this one... I've lost count of the various characters, relatives included, confusing astrological signs, etc., but I soldier on, since all in all she's a very talented author -- sheer joy to read her books.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sgmn said:

in God's own county of Cornwall,

According to the book, the people of Cornwall see themselves as "Cornish", and would like to be independent of the UK.... [pls. get in line... 😁]

And to think that the future (??) Queen of England is titled "HRH The Duchess of Cornwall"😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

According to the book, the people of Cornwall see themselves as "Cornish", and would like to be independent of the UK.... [pls. get in line... 😁]

😉

It's complicated. The Cornish have traditionally seen themselves as different from the rest of England, with more in common with the celtic nations of Wales, Ireland and even closer ties to parts of France than London. All my extended family are Cornish going back through the generations, but I travelled the world as a child and ended up in the south of England. I still feel its my spiritual home.  It is beautiful and we try and visit several times a year to visit family. If you want to read some more novels set in Cornwall I like the Poldark series. Or see the film 'Fisherman's Friends' based on a true story and set in the same village the TV series 'Doc Martin' was filmed in 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sgmn said:

If you want to read some more novels set in Cornwall

Many years ago I've read Susan Howatch's "Penmarik", and since then, I feel quite "at home" in Truro and St. Ives 😁  I think Rosamunde Pilcher had also a nice novel based in Cornwall, can't remember now...

I hope I would visit someday Cornwall as well as the Lake District.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a long day... drove 1.5 hours each way to celebrate the 70th b'day of one of my HS friends. The friend who offered her spacious kitchen booked a chef who specializes in Asian cooking (for the very expensive rate of 100$ pp, not including the b'day girl; I've mentioned the outrageous price, but was "over-ruled"...).

I'm not keen on Asian food, was at least hoping for some Chinese portions. No luck.

Moreover, turns out that we also had to participate in the making. When I saw what the chef was going to "serve", I understood that I'll be left "starving", more or less. Only the curry involved some chicken meat, the rest was gyoza filled with herbs, Vietnamese rice rolls filled with vegetables, a very spicy Indian soup which nobody ate, and a very dry chocolate cake with cheap vanilla ice cream.

For this price, I was, at least, expecting some premium products.... BUT, the most important thing is that the meeting was very very nice, while wearing masks unless eating.

Miriam's birthday.png

When I finally got home, I told DH that I'd like to "eat something 'edible'' ". He quickly concocted an avocado with hard eggs salad, which more than compensated for the poor/expensive not meal ....

Dinner.png

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

Nate's back surgery is finally, officially, scheduled.  He's all set for December 29. We were hoping to get it done around the holidays so that he has best possible time to recover before his business picks back up.  He goes in to get fitted for a back brace next week and then the COVID test on the 23rd.  So so relieved to finally be making progress.  Onwards and upwards!

Sending our best wishes for Nate's back surgery and quick recovery afterwards.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 2

Yesterday I had a long day... drove 1.5 hours each way to celebrate the 70th b'day of one of my HS friends. The friend who offered her spacious kitchen booked a chef who specializes in Asian cooking (for the very expensive rate of 100$ pp, not including the b'day girl; I've mentioned the outrageous price, but was "over-ruled"...).

I'm not keen on Asian food, was at least hoping for some Chinese portions. No luck.

Moreover, turns out that we also had to participate in the making. When I saw what the chef was going to "serve", I understood that I'll be left "starving", more or less. Only the curry involved some chicken meat, the rest was gyoza filled with herbs, Vietnamese rice rolls filled with vegetables, a very spicy Indian soup which nobody ate, and a very dry chocolate cake with cheap vanilla ice cream.

For this price, I was, at least, expecting some premium products.... BUT, the most important thing is that the meeting was very very nice, while wearing masks unless eating.

Miriam's birthday.png

When I finally got home, I told DH that I'd like to "eat something 'edible'' ". He quickly concocted an avocado with hard eggs salad, which more than compensated for the poor/expensive not meal ....

Dinner.png

Nice photo.

• Thanks 1

Nate's back surgery is finally, officially, scheduled.  He's all set for December 29. We were hoping to get it done around the holidays so that he has best possible time to recover before his business picks back up.  He goes in to get fitted for a back brace next week and then the COVID test on the 23rd.  So so relieved to finally be making progress.  Onwards and upwards!

Hey singin'! I see with your posts you've been well this year. I've been a major lurker on these boards recently. Just stopping by here to say 'hi' and wish you & Nate well through holidays with the surgery.

You still on track planning Egypt/Jordan next year? I'm dreaming/hoping/praying for Machu Pichu in September and very likely 3 weeks Thailand late Nov/early Dec.... if the planets align!  

• Like 1

That's so interesting.  In the states, Chinese is considered a budget food.  Yes, there is high end but, in general, it's a go to when on a limited budget.  $100 pp seems on the high side.  That would get 14 take out meals here (entree, rice, egg roll/soup).  The portions are so big, it's actually 42 meals.

Sorry for you disappointment.

• Thanks 1

Thinking of you. John has had 2 back surgeries. Super successful. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

That's so interesting.  In the states, Chinese is considered a budget food.  Yes, there is high end but, in general, it's a go to when on a limited budget.  $100 pp seems on the high side.  That would get 14 take out meals here (entree, rice, egg roll/soup).  The portions are so big, it's actually 42 meals.

Sorry for you disappointment.

Plus, they still had to help in making it! It seemed a bit high to me but the last time I had anything cateted it was my wedding 40 years ago.

Today played with the drone some more with active track. I thought it worked pretty good. We are setting up patterns and marking for a upcoming class. 

The video is my buddy on my bike. I was the drone operator. The still is of me in the same pattern he is running. 

Weather was so nice today. 

A6927188-FF3F-4E96-A1BC-90452A46556C.png

• Like 6