Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, singinalot said:

Nate's back surgery is finally, officially, scheduled.  He's all set for December 29. We were hoping to get it done around the holidays so that he has best possible time to recover before his business picks back up.  He goes in to get fitted for a back brace next week and then the COVID test on the 23rd.  So so relieved to finally be making progress.  Onwards and upwards!

All the best for a speedy recovery.  

38 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If so, with what ship?  Pretty sure Empress and Majesty will not weather the COVID storm. 

M8

It would be a land trip. 12 nights, fully guided. We had been planning it with our travel agent and then the doors slammed shut. A friend went and loved it.

John is planning on retiring Jan 2022. We have Vision on the books for Feb 2022. So we're looking at fall 2022. 

of course this is all dependent on getting rid of this nasty virus!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Plus, they still had to help in making it! It seemed a bit high to me but the last time I had anything cateted it was my wedding 40 years ago.

If it was something I wanted to eat, I think I'd enjoy participating, as long as my job wasn't clean up

38 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

It would be a land trip. 12 nights, fully guided. We had been planning it with our travel agent and then the doors slammed shut. A friend went and loved it.

John is planning on retiring Jan 2022. We have Vision on the books for Feb 2022. So we're looking at fall 2022. 

of course this is all dependent on getting rid of this nasty virus!

I'd like to do a guided land trip

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Today played with the drone some more with active track. I thought it worked pretty good. We are setting up patterns and marking for a upcoming class. 

The video is my buddy on my bike. I was the drone operator. The still is of me in the same pattern he is running. 

The active track worked great.  Followed the bike nicely.  What's the objective of that pattern?  Speed through the corners?

7 hours ago, singinalot said:

Nate's back surgery is finally, officially, scheduled.  He's all set for December 29. We were hoping to get it done around the holidays so that he has best possible time to recover before his business picks back up.  He goes in to get fitted for a back brace next week and then the COVID test on the 23rd.  So so relieved to finally be making progress.  Onwards and upwards!

This is great. My fingers and toes are crossed that this goes through as planned. 

26 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The active track worked great.  Followed the bike nicely.  What's the objective of that pattern?  Speed through the corners?

That and practicing “Threshold Braking”. Most people are trained to stay off the front brake unless going straight. Threshold braking is where you use a little (tiny) bit or light squeeze on front brake. It’s a technique that collapses the front forks for a tighter turn radius at speed.   Make sense?  It’s not an easy technique to learn. Takes a lot of practice. 

M8

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That and practicing “Threshold Braking”. Most people are trained to stay off the front brake unless going straight. Threshold braking is where you use a little (tiny) bit or light squeeze on front brake. It’s a technique that collapses the front forks for a tighter turn radius at speed.   Make sense?  It’s not an easy technique to learn. Takes a lot of practice. 

M8

Makes sense.  I drove a small, street legal 125 many (many) years ago and had an incident where I used too much front brake when trying to slow quickly and the back wheel came off the ground.  The bike pivoted on the front wheel and I laid it on its side.  No damage to me or the bike (other than some scratches) but definitely scary and embarrassing.  If I'd been going faster or had a large bike, it could have been much worse.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Now that the snow is back we can see the animal highway behind the garage. 

Saw this a little over a week ago in front of our garage door (Ohio, not Florida).  I'm in a neighborhood of about 100 houses in the middle of suburbia.  Food must be scarce.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Makes sense.  I drove a small, street legal 125 many (many) years ago and had an incident where I used too much front brake when trying to slow quickly and the back wheel came off the ground.  The bike pivoted on the front wheel and I laid it on its side.  No damage to me or the bike (other than some scratches) but definitely scary and embarrassing.  If I'd been going faster or had a large bike, it could have been much worse.

The training we use is the same as most Motor Officers are trained. My buddy is retired NYPD and certified motor officer instructor. He goes back to NJ to assist with the motor schools during the summer.   Good stuff. 

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Yesterday I had a long day... drove 1.5 hours each way to celebrate the 70th b'day of one of my HS friends. The friend who offered her spacious kitchen booked a chef who specializes in Asian cooking (for the very expensive rate of 100$ pp, not including the b'day girl; I've mentioned the outrageous price, but was "over-ruled"...).

I'm not keen on Asian food, was at least hoping for some Chinese portions. No luck.

Moreover, turns out that we also had to participate in the making. When I saw what the chef was going to "serve", I understood that I'll be left "starving", more or less. Only the curry involved some chicken meat, the rest was gyoza filled with herbs, Vietnamese rice rolls filled with vegetables, a very spicy Indian soup which nobody ate, and a very dry chocolate cake with cheap vanilla ice cream.

For this price, I was, at least, expecting some premium products.... BUT, the most important thing is that the meeting was very very nice, while wearing masks unless eating.

Miriam's birthday.png

When I finally got home, I told DH that I'd like to "eat something 'edible'' ". He quickly concocted an avocado with hard eggs salad, which more than compensated for the poor/expensive not meal ....

Dinner.png

I have never had hard boiled egg with avocado.  I will have to try that.  Glad you girls were able to get together.  That's what matter.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Now that the snow is back we can see the animal highway behind the garage. 

This morning the fox made an appearance.

24791638-B9EF-4A2B-AE11-26C955D73D1A.thumb.jpeg.862376b5d8d5dba93b465b31ac03dc42.jpeg

F261FBEA-DA19-499E-B07C-6527C90F1868.thumb.jpeg.10ec744b5af69a0feb4b80d198bddbb3.jpeg

I have a fox that regularly goes thru my lake house back yard, walks to the stairs to the patio, which trips the light, that the ring has already detected.  then it walks down the steps and runs past the house.  the other night there were 8 white tail deer hanging out for about 2 hours nibbling grass and laying in the backyard at the lake.

• Like 2

One of our neighbors told my wife today that we had a big 8 point buck in our front yard.  We are pretty suburban where we live, and that is not very normal, as there is not a lot of wild areas close to our house.  Used to be when we built it but now the wild farm lands and forests are about a minimum of 1/2 a mile away in most directions.  

• Like 2

My new town has a lighted boat parade tonight and tomorrow a lighted street parade.  Last year we had just moved in and didn't go.  My decorations are up and now I need to start baking.  My son has a favorite cookie I need to make along with cranberry bread, fudge, peanut brittle and some cookies.  Maybe a pie or two.  I love Christmas.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Plus, they still had to help in making it! It seemed a bit high to me but the last time I had anything catered it was my wedding 40 years ago.

Exactly... Here I was, dressed up and perfumed for the 1st in ages, already cutting thin slices of green onions, carrots, cucumbers and radishes, and the "chef" asks if I'd like to cut "regular"" onions too, since I've been doing such a nice job... I drew the line !!

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If it was something I wanted to eat, I think I'd enjoy participating, as long as my job wasn't clean up

There was absolutely nothing I wanted to eat....

The hostess's hubby, who was lurking in the hope of getting some spare bits (and agreed with me that us carnivors were "doomed"), was the designated cleaner. Has done an excellent job, since really the kitchen was a mess.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

One of our neighbors told my wife today that we had a big 8 point buck in our front yard.  We are pretty suburban where we live, and that is not very normal, as there is not a lot of wild areas close to our house.  Used to be when we built it but now the wild farm lands and forests are about a minimum of 1/2 a mile away in most directions.  

We had a six point hanging out around our back yard a few weeks ago..which was not the usual.  Mostly it's just the regular troupe of Does we get.  Now the Buck is missing, but the Does are getting quite fat...and It's not just all the handouts of dry corn I am giving them.  😉 

6 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Feeling domestic I made Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies for John. It's been, ummm, 10 years since I last baked something sweet.

I made Blueberry bread (from Maine wild blueberries 🙂 ) yesterday for the first time in years...Mmm...made house smell good.  Guess this lockdown is bringing out the bakers in us.  😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@Domino D and @firefly333     We miss you here 😁

I'm here. I took my dad to hearing aide doc yesterday and today to gp. He thinks he has a infection. Plus my bil turned 82 yesterday, might be 83 but I think 82, though we are buying tamales he loves and a bunch of tacos and sides, not making a big mess at moms cooking.

Tamales are seasonal here though idk the reason, but everyone has them this time of year. I'm so so on them. But he grew up here and loves them. 

• Like 4