Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I think I've done at least a dozen cruises with him by now (as in same ship, not "with" him before someone takes this conversation off the rails! LOL).  

But I rarely ever see him, as I'm very sensitive to tobacco smoke, so I never even walk through that whole side of the pool deck.  I usually find out he's on the same ship because someone either mentions it, or I see him at the B2B meeting.

I guess he didn't get much work done online the last couple of weeks on Explorer.

• Haha 1

@grapau27Just adding my two cents to the discussion about your hips.  I worked for a Physical Therapist for 6 years and can honestly confirm what others have expressed that you cannot compare it to the knee.  It is a much, much less invasive procedure and the majority of patients don't even have outpatient physical therapy anymore.  Not that I want you to have surgery, but if you are delaying the inevitable, you should rethink that.  In my experience working with post surgical patients, the majority regretted pushing their surgery forward and wished they had done it sooner.  I wish you all the best in whatever direction you proceed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

He only gets 15-30 minutes outdoor max and not every day. And only when we are outside with him.  But as a few people here on CC warned me , as he gets more comfortable with the outdoors, it might be hard to keep him inside. We've started to notice some of that recently. He is still mostly timid - as evidence of his running away from a gang of rouge Japanese red maple leaves. But in the past he'd always run alongside us when we went back in the house. Now, he tends to linger in the back yard until we call him or shake his bag of goody treats to lure him back inside. Or sometimes, he'll run to the door and meow non-stop as to say "Let Me Out". Its' really cute when he does it around midnight. Not!

I'm thinking the first time he experiences freezing rain, that will dampen his enthusiasm. (pun intended).

Our cat who lived with us 19 years only was outside when we took her in a carrier to the Vet.We often had a chair facing outside so that she could look outside.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Interesting article on the new yacht Capt. Lee will run with the new season of Below Deck. She's a beauty and apparently the largest yacht of the franchise.

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/news/st-david-yacht-below-deck?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=belowdeck_news_oct22&fbclid=IwAR3kr2w-xQuWpS_EIdkGDunDAc2cpa_lNrn-Wt56p31YhFul1R5_08xZGFY

Stunning ship, I love the classic look and all the woodwork, detail is so much better the The Home.  I really don't care for that yacht.   I wonder if Capt Sandy likes it.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

I had an appointment with my musculoskeletal doctor this morning to discuss my hip x-ray's.

Not good news with an op an option but I will delay that as long as possible.

I hope everyone is well.

Sorry to hear the not so good news.   Do they want to do a hip replacement?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Hello Friends...

We've been playing in Fort Lauderdale for the past few days. Right now we're aboard Harmony on a b2b waiting for sail-away. 

Couple of pics of our room and balcony. I'll catch up with everyone on the 20th.

Everyone...stay safe, drive safe, travel safe! Stay healthy!

20221107_155541.jpg

20221107_155528.jpg

20221107_155456.jpg

20221107_155436.jpg

Nice!   I hope you have a wonderful cruise.  Beautiful cabin.  Great itinerary for a b2b.  Enjoy!   

Bon Voyage😃

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Will you be OK to share your recipe? Thanks.

Nothing written.  I just follow what my mom did every week when she made chicken soup.  I add some low sodium chicken stock to water and put in the chicken. I add beef marrow bones, veal or beef neck bones (can't get veal here, this was in NY), lots of veggies, carrots, celery, sometimes leek but it's a pita to clean, onion, parsnip, fresh parsley and dill.  Don't want to gross anyone but I put in some chicken gizzards.  The added "secret" ingredient at the end is believe it or not, a cinnamon stick, placed in the soup pot the last 15 mins.  You won't taste cinnamon, but it just adds something to the soup.  Mom did it so I do it.

We all have favorite recipes but I just about gagged when Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) added cream to her chicken soup.😛

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

@BonTexasNYGood luck with your cataract surgery tomorrow, Bonnie!!

Thanks for remembering and for your good wishes.

Anesthesiologist called earlier to introduce himself and asked if I had any concerns.  I told him to keep the valium handy. 🤣

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Stunning ship, I love the classic look and all the woodwork, detail is so much better the The Home.  I really don't care for that yacht.   I wonder if Capt Sandy likes it.

I think the Home is ugly. I'm not so sure I care for the lines of this new boat either.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Nothing written.  I just follow what my mom did every week when she made chicken soup.  I add some low sodium chicken stock to water and put in the chicken. I add beef marrow bones, veal or beef neck bones (can't get veal here, this was in NY), lots of veggies, carrots, celery, sometimes leek but it's a pita to clean, onion, parsnip, fresh parsley and dill.  Don't want to gross anyone but I put in some chicken gizzards.  The added "secret" ingredient at the end is believe it or not, a cinnamon stick, placed in the soup pot the last 15 mins.  You won't taste cinnamon, but it just adds something to the soup.  Mom did it so I do it.

We all have favorite recipes but I just about gagged when Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) added cream to her chicken soup.😛

Anesthesiologist called earlier to introduce himself and asked if I had any concerns.  I told him to keep the valium handy. 🤣

Thank you. That sounds delicious. I like the cinnamon idea. I think I will stick to all chicken and try it out. No cream! 

Good luck and all the best for tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I hope everything goes well tomorrow,Bonnie.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think the Home is ugly. I'm not so sure I care for the lines of this new boat either.

Ugly and too narrow. The pantry by the gallery is horrible. And that pitiful bar in the main salon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

A few of the more recent wedding I've attended, they had done away with the throwing of the flower bouquet & garter belt. 

This I can get behind, because they promote the idea that EVERYONE should get married whether they want to or not ("all the single women/men, come out to catch the bouquet/garter").  

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

And is the reason for not doing the cake cutting is to avoid the cake-in-the-face routine? That makes sense. A lot of money is spent on a dress, professionally done makeup and tux rentals. I wouldn't want to ruin those either.

That's what I was thinking... but nothing says they have to feed each other the cake -- just cut it and each eat a piece with a fork.  Seems like a personal respect thing -- if you tell your partner not to smash cake in your face and you still can't trust them enough to not do that at your wedding, then you probably have made the wrong choice in partners!  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Thank you. That sounds delicious. I like the cinnamon idea. I think I will stick to all chicken and try it out. No cream! 

Good luck and all the best for tomorrow.

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I hope everything goes well tomorrow,Bonnie.

Thanks Lenny!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I've heard the hip operation is so much easier than the knee, Graham!  One of the women I play Mahjongg with was playing two weeks after surgery, I didn't even realize she'd had it done!

Have a great cruise!!  Bon Voyage!!!  🛳️Love your room, btw!

10 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

+ 1  @grapau27

@grapau27, Graham -- does NHS offer the option of a second opinion?

Nancy & John, wishing you a very enjoyable cruise 🌹

10 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Hopefully they can do something for you before it gets too bad. 

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Graham, so sorry to read this. I wish the best for you no matter what road you take.

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Welcome back. That update for CC was a real PITA. Caused me a lot of headaches.

Sorry to hear this. Arthritis in the hips is very painful. I take it the next big step would be hip replacement. From what I hear it's less painful than my knee replacement. Right now my other knee is really giving me fits. I may need to get it replaced soon too. I'm not looking forward to that at all.

10 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I had no mobility in my right leg due to arthritis.  They don’t know how I was walking.  My ortho guy said he tells his knee replacement patients that they will hate him afterwards for awhile!

9 hours ago, Keksie said:

I am so sorry.  If it helps my husband's mother had a hip replacement and bounced back quickly.  It really helped her a lot and she was not the type to generally bounce back easily.

7 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

@grapau27Just adding my two cents to the discussion about your hips.  I worked for a Physical Therapist for 6 years and can honestly confirm what others have expressed that you cannot compare it to the knee.  It is a much, much less invasive procedure and the majority of patients don't even have outpatient physical therapy anymore.  Not that I want you to have surgery, but if you are delaying the inevitable, you should rethink that.  In my experience working with post surgical patients, the majority regretted pushing their surgery forward and wished they had done it sooner.  I wish you all the best in whatever direction you proceed.  

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear the not so good news.   Do they want to do a hip replacement?

Thank you everyone for your concern and excellent advice.

My GP said he would leave it up to me and he would refer me when I was ready.

He agreed with me at 66 might be too young as he said the hip replacements last only 10-15 years.

• Like 9

Yesterday was a long day for us.  That’s why it was nice that Susan made us a nice filet, bacon ranch potatoes, and baked corn supper.  Cooking for us and my daughter’s family.  Grandson loves those filets. 

AA4A8922-2910-42F1-A755-0749617F2EF3.thumb.jpeg.87e24b310f84877641e0d4dbaedd71de.jpeg

Up early this morning to watch the eclipse. Perfect clear sky to view it.  I still haven’t figured out how to get a clear shot with my iPhone. This is the best I could do. 

23C76EC7-4BEE-4032-9A31-33238D9A593B.thumb.jpeg.85bfb8d3233474d416170e4a768eb176.jpeg

• Like 22

Had a lovely day today. First day of our road trip.  We left Sydney this morning and drove most of the day.  This trip was my son’s idea and he  booked us the lovely accommodation several months ago.  We are currently in modern self contained accommodation on a private property surrounded by bush, beautiful views and wildlife.  
We only have 4G and CC is being glitchy so will post photos at the end of the trip.

Had the fire going tonight and could see the eclipse but didn’t think our photos would do it justice so didn’t take a photo of it.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I'd like to understand the "postcard" option ... "postcard" like the postcards we were sending back from abroad in the 70s? Like "hard copy" ones?

It's fancier looking than a postcard, and it is put inside an envelope, but it's just a single piece of stiff paper.  Here are some examples.  A more traditional invitations is a folded card with tissue paper inside and often a card inside with RSVP details, plus wording like "Mr & Mrs blah blah blah invite you to the wedding of their daughter...yada, yada, yada.  She wants something that's both elegant and somewhat informal.

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

I know this was a typo, but I was thinking.... they have a party just for pot?  LOL

As for the rest of it, I've always thought that the invitation thing was backwards.  Should send the formal invitations out once the date/venue is in place, many months in advance.  Then people can put it on their calendars and RSVP at that time -- get your firm numbers right then so you can plan on everything else based on those numbers.  Then a month or so before the wedding, send out the "reminder" postcards with any updated/changed info, explicit directions to the venue, etc.

Maybe suggest to Micheline that she recommend a "hybrid" invitation plan. The younger kids are all about the digital, while the older crowd is more traditional -- why not do both?  Go through the guest list and try to think of what each individual would be more likely to prefer... do formal invites for the grandparents, aunts/uncles, older family friends, etc., and do the e-vites for the younger guests.  Saves money on not having to print and mail as many formal invites, and also caters to the digitally-minded folks.  

I'm curious about the cake-cutting, though -- is she not wanting to serve cake at all, or thinks that she has to participate in the face-smashing aspect if they do an official cake-cutting event at the reception?  The face-smash has been falling out of favor over time, and if you pay all that money to have a beautiful cake made, it would be a shame to not have pictures of the bride and groom with the cake.  

Okay, nosey old biddy rant done! 😉

As I was typing the reply to Dani above, I again typed "weeding of their daughter". 🤣  For the cake, she wants to skip the whole cutting ceremony.  She might compromise and have a separate small cake that they cut, without the face smashing.  Either way, they will serve cake.  Not sure how this will actually play out.

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@bobmacliberty im also curious the reason why they have dont wish to cut the cake (is it the type of cake they are serving?).  Also, curious what other traditions they are negotiating?

Re cake cutting.  When my parents renovated their house, a long steel ceremonial sword immaculate in  it’s sword case was discovered by the builders.  My dad displayed it in the house on the wall.  When we were planning our wedding, dad suggested we use the sword to cut the wedding cake.  Mum was very quick to nix that idea!

They'll probably skip the tossing of the bouquet & garter (to avoid a strange guy pushing the garter up a girl's leg), and even the father/bride and mother groom/dances.  Her groom doesn't really want to dance with his mother (nor she with him), so they'd drop both dances.  It's an awkward part of some receptions that I've been to, so they may skip it completely.

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

A few of the more recent wedding I've attended, they had done away with the throwing of the flower bouquet & garter belt.  And is the reason for not doing the cake cutting is to avoid the cake-in-the-face routine? That makes sense. A lot of money is spent on a dress, professionally done makeup and tux rentals. I wouldn't want to ruin those either.

Exactly, although I think she's going with a "second look" for the reception after making her entrance. Still, she doesn't want to ruin her make-up and dress.

My daughter has a very large and very tight friend group and she wants the reception to just be a fun party.  This is her special day and I'm not as much tied to tradition (in anything really).  Micheline is similar but wants to be sure that our daughter doesn't regret skipping something and then not having that memory/picture.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

For the cake, she wants to skip the whole cutting ceremony.  She might compromise and have a separate small cake that they cut, without the face smashing.  Either way, they will serve cake.  Not sure how this will actually play out.

My daughter has celiac and my SIL has nut allergies, won't eat baked goods he can't guarantee don't have nuts and afraid of cross contamination, so cakes are a hard thing.  I was the taste tester for their cake, daughter did taste most fillings and icing.  Anyway since nether could eat their cake my daughter made a small cheesecake that they cut and nicely fed to each other.

I get skipping a lot of the old rituals, but kinda sad to see.

• Like 5

Nothing like a burger at 8 in tje morning as you are at the airport heading out for a cruise.

Skipped having breakfast st 5 am when we left home so I was pretty hungry and sbout halfway through the burger before I remembered to take a photo.

Flying into Houston, staying overnight by IAH and then taking the free shuttle Royal is providing to Galvsston in the morning.  Boarding Allure for the 4 day trade event sailing to Cozumel.  

I had John send me his 8 day drink list from his Mariner sailing....going to see how much of a dent I can put in thst in 4 days. 

• Like 21