Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We weren't able to celebrate mother's day last Sunday so we celebrated last night.  Both daughters were here with their boyfriends.  My oldest daughter's boyfriend Matt is a chef and often cooks for us when they visit. We feel a little guilty but he genuinely seems to enjoy it...or he's doing a good job of acting like he does in front of his girlfriend's parents. 

Last night, he made paella.  He started by cooking the octopus, shrimp, and mussels.  He left some of the mussels for an appetizer.  All we needed were frites and that alone would have been a nice meal. 😄 

IMG_7028.thumb.JPEG.432b38bbb3979456e74afc5abf019305.JPEG

IMG_7029.thumb.JPEG.abc8aa648f1fdc682100971843e4a188.JPEG

My younger daughter and her boyfriend are not fans of seafood so Matt kept some of the rice separate before adding the octopus (since it has a strong flavor) and kept the scallops on the side.  It was outstanding, especially since we're no where near an ocean.  We finished the night playing Mexican Train, one of Micheline's favorite things since it gets everyone together around a table with no TV and mostly no phones.  Lots of talking and laughing, aided by a few bottles of wine.

IMG_6985.thumb.jpg.a6932e235620b5e0cd95f5027f586ae0.jpg

Hoping for peace and safety for you Dani!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

1st time in Tel Aviv and here -- siren during the day...

Was just trying to recuperate from the night and get some sleep....

The news this morning did not seem very encouraging. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mugtech said:

Currently reading Baldacci's Hells Corner, the 5th in the Camel Club series, just read the previous 4, loved them all.  Gotta agree Win was not a very good Harlan Coben book, enjoyed his Myron Bolitar novels more when Win was not featured, just a minor player.  Looking forward to the latest Jack Reacher novels and James Patterson's Deadly Cross, featuring Alex Cross.  Been doing a lot of pandemic reading. 

James Patterson is another of my favorites.  My next to read is Deadly Cross.

• Like 1

I was a big Lee Child fan but ran out of Jack Reacher books and switched to other authors.  I was in an actually book store the other day (no really) and saw that there were a few new Reacher books that I hadn't read.  Just finished Past Tense and have started Blue Moon.  I've also enjoyed the Virgil Flowers series from John Sanford.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

+ Grisham, Baldacci & James Patterson's Women Mystery Club series. I'll have a look at Robin Cook.

S Plum series.jpg

I am currently reading my second Women Mystery Club book by Patterson 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've been reading Allison Brennan's Lucy Kincaid series. She's in the FBI. They do need to be read in order to keep the story straight.

They are definitely NOT a cozy mystery. Lots of shooting and murders.

I may try these. My father was a homicide squad commander. My cup of tea. 

• Like 2

Dani, are the ports where the Odyssey will stop in range of the rockets?  I think the ports are Ashdod and Haifa.

Makes me wonder if they will ever be sailing to Israel, and if this is part of the thought process.  Probably not, but still....

jc

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

+ Grisham, Baldacci & James Patterson's Women Mystery Club series. I'll have a look at Robin Cook.

S Plum series.jpg

My, you ARE a fan of Evanovich!  Two more I like; Tess Gerritsen medical thrillers ala Robin Cook and Lisa Scottoline.

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We have kinda "ancient agricultural festival" Sunday&Monday, the tradition for me is to bake a cheese cake, and people usually eat diary products.

Bought all the special ingredients, not sure I'll go ahead and bake it, since, for now, we can't host the family.

I am so sorry that this will not be the Shavuot (ancient agricultural festival) you anticipated. Bet your cheesecake is superb.  We read with dismay that the attacks are getting worse and as always we pray for a quick successful outcome.

Israel holds a special place in my heart.  I was married there to my Israeli in Ramat Gan, we lived in Tel Aviv for a year, and we visited 19 times.  My husband's sister, 2 nieces, 1 nephew and their sweet families live in Israel, Modi'in, all of them. Hate to admit that even though my husband has gone back to visit family, my last visit was 26 years ago. I would say we're due for another visit. 

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Drove down Coastal Highway 1 to little town of Gualala (maybe a place Laura of John/Lala would like) 😉 Lunch of fish and chips with great view, then stopped along the way back for this view.  Thought Bucky's sweatshirt was appropriate. 😄    Sea birds enjoying some "rock time" as well.  

What beautiful pictures. Drove Highway 1 many years ago. I need to visit again.

14 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We were hoping for a quieter night, since from 9PM there was a lull all over the country.

Sadly, the lull lasted only 4 hours.

1PM -- Sirens in Tel Aviv -- DS1 rushing to the stairs. Check 😢

1.12 - Our turn.   Check 😢

1.23 - DS2. Our in laws don't have a shelter, so they're spending the night in DS2's new apartment. It was crowded with DDIL, DS2 + 2 grandkids.  Check 😢

Another sleepless night awaits us....

My thoughts are still with you and your family.

14 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Unfortunately we need the sad emoji again.  

Yes please!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love lighthouses. I climb them whenever they are open.

I too am a big fan of Lighthouses ! I wanted to live in one until I saw the movie "The Lighthouse😬

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

and are sitting in our regular spot in the local beach car park.e is a sea fret so we are going home.

I learned a new word today. Thank you Graham!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Dani, are the ports where the Odyssey will stop in range of the rockets?  I think the ports are Ashdod and Haifa.

jc

Thanks, JC.

Ashdod -- yes, sadly very much so.

Haifa -- for the moment no (the rockets are launched from the South/Gaza Strip), but if the "guys" from Hezbollah (north, aka South Lebanon) will decide to "join the party", then -- very much in the range.

No way Israel will be included in the itinerary IF hostilities are going on here.

Hopefully, you'll be lucky and will arrive in a period of [relative] peace.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, retiredgram said:

For anyone who loves a good mystery book series.  Check out the Fern Michaels "Sisterhood Series".  You should start with the first book in the series to acquiant yourself with the characters.  Each book is a total story, not a continuation.

I have read all of them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Last night, he made paella. 

Hoping for peace and safety for you Dani!

Thanks, Bob. This paella, and, especially the meaty scallops, looks very "inviting" 😁

This boyfriend should be labelled "a keeper" 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

My, you ARE a fan of Evanovich!  Two more I like; Tess Gerritsen medical thrillers ala Robin Cook and Lisa Scottoline.

I am so sorry that this will not be the Shavuot (ancient agricultural festival) you anticipated. 

Israel holds a special place in my heart.  ... I would say we're due for another visit

+1.

I've just checked the expiring date of the cream cheese I've bought for the new cake I was planning to bake... It is good for another 2 weeks. Hopefully, in a week, this unscheduled "rodeo" will be over...

Pls. tag me when you're planning to visit !!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Stephanie Plum series is mindless entertainment.  Laugh out loud funny novels by Janet Evanovich!

At my previous job, I remember laughing out loud reading during lunch, seated in a large company cafe.  I don't mean dignified giggling.  I am talking loud belly laugh.  People stopped by asking what I was reading, others walked away after staring at me.  I decided to save reading Evanovitch at home.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1