Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Oh Dani

My heartfelt prayers to you and your loved ones.

What would it take for you to leave and relocate to a safer country?

I mean to live in such fear.

Prayers.

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

I would leave tomorrow and DH too, and he was born here...

We don't see any future in Israel, for the few years we have left, nor for our kids, and so painful -- for our grandkids.

But we can't leave them.

One of the reason we liked traveling, and cruising in particular, is that it enabled us, even though for a very limited period of time, to live a normal life, without fear, seeing youngsters being preoccupied with their NBA of NFL leagues games and not preparing themselves for 3 years of compulsory army service.

A life without our worries. Our boys served 4 years (as officer) and 3 years (as a sergeant) combat duty, and then went on to serve in reserve duty. DH served in reserve until 46 years. Perpetual worry.

I remember when our eldest was born (he is now 40), thinking -- "in 18 years time there will be peace, he will not serve". Now our eldest grandkid will be 5 years, and 13 years will pass very quickly...

Sorry for the long rant. Cruising was my oxygen.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

We don't see any future in Israel, for the few years we have left, nor for our kids, and so painful -- for our grandkids.

But we can't leave them.

One of the reason we liked traveling, and cruising in particular, is that it enabled us, even though for a very limited period of time, to live a normal life, without fear, seeing youngsters being preoccupied with their NBA of NFL leagues games and not preparing themselves for 3 years of compulsory army service.

A life without our worries. Our boys served 4 years (as officer) and 3 years (as a sergeant) combat duty, and then went on to serve in reserve duty. DH served in reserve until 46 years. Perpetual worry.

I remember when our eldest was born (he is now 40), thinking -- "in 18 years time there will be peace, he will not serve". Now our eldest grandkid will be 5 years, and 13 years will pass very quickly...

😢 

💙🤍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

But we can't leave them.

You definitely deserve to rant ,  tough worrying about yourself and your family. Please rant on .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

But we can't leave them.

Dani, my thoughts and prayers are being sent to you and your family and the entire Country.

Stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

But we can't leave them.

If you left precious Israel, where would you want to go?  You'd need a sponsor in that country?

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

But we can't leave them.

We all support you Dani.

Your reports bring the grim reality of life in Israel home to us who have no conception of what it must be like living with the threat of air strikes at any time and your children facing compulsory conscription to the army.

Take care and stay safe we are thinking of you and your family.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh Sue,

You so nailed it.

But we can't leave them.

I didn't see this post as a rant at all. You have provided a perspective that has made this conflict a reality for me like never before. I really have difficulty wrapping my head around what life is like there. It just seems so foreign.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

If you left precious Israel, where would you want to go?  You'd need a sponsor in that country?

Thanks, we didn't even "explore" the "requirements" because, as I've mentioned, there is no point for us living in another country (even though I have an European passport), while our only family, 2 sons and 2 grandkids are here...

A classic "catch 22" situation -- we can't live here and we can't leave too 😢

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

A classic "catch 22" situation -- we can't live here and we can't leave too 😢

My best friend, left Belarus in the early 80's.

It was a scary day for them.

They had their passports for years and just packed a travel bag and flew to New York after waiting months to get approval from the powers that be.

The week before they left, when they found out they were permitted travel outside the country, they had to pack a bag of clothes, and few memories, in case their bag was searched and it was determined they were leaving for good.

They left behind their first life.

Pictures are what they miss the most of family, and events.

But what hurt the most was her wedding gown, which her mom had made, and she wore proudly.

Her mom died of Ovarian Cancer just months before they left.  Their was no medical help for her.

I saw the suitcase she brought and it was old and standard size.  

She often talks about how the best day of her life was when the family (husband and son) landed in New York and their sponsors brought them to Ohio.  Jobs apartment and new friends waiting with open arms.  She too is Jewish, and the community temple welcomed them with open arms.

So, if your children and grandchildren need to find a new residence join them.  It can be done, and you are never to old ........

Be safe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is currently 70°F and we have just had a walk along the beachfront promenade.

We went to church this morning and Pauline wrote all of our parents memories in our Church Book Of Remembrance.

Prayers to Dani and her friends and family.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20210512_130458.jpg

IMG_20210512_130524.jpg

• Like 11

Hello Dani

It is a new day. I am hoping that you,your husband,children and grandchildren remain safe today.

I noticed that you have read some books written by Susan Wittig Albert. I read her Darling Dahlia series. The books are about a group of women living in a small Alabama town during the 1930’s. The somehow get involved in intrigue and mysteries that occur in the town. The women are individuals in their own right,but are connected to each other through their memberships in the local garden club.

The latest book in the series is The Darling Dahlias and  the Voodoo Lily. I find reading is a diversion for me. Trying to solve the mysteries before the solution is revealed is a way to exercise my brain power.

Take care-

MJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Graham- 

Thank you for posting the photos and the information about the Beatrix Potter locations. I would like to visit Hilltop Farm.  Maybe,someday....

I also enjoyed the photos you posted some time ago of your visit to Liverpool, including the Beatles tour. That is another place I would like to visit as I was  quite the Beatles fan at age 11 when they first came to the US. 

From the photos you posted today, it seems that you and Pauline are enjoying a sunshine day. It is a pretty day here on Eastern Long Island. My DH and I plan to take care of some errands today and enjoy the sunshine and local scenery.

Take care- 

MJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Hello Dani

It is a new day. I am hoping that you, your husband, children and grandchildren remain safe today.

I noticed that you have read some books written by Susan Wittig Albert.

I find reading is a diversion for me. Trying to solve the mysteries before the solution is revealed is a way to exercise my brain power.

Take care-

MJ

Thanks, every one had a sleepless night, and during the day the shooting is mainly aimed at the south of the country. 6 deaths. If you take into account that more than 1000 missiles were fired, "Iron Dome" is doing an excellent job -- in the circumstances....

Reading is one of my favorite pastime. Being a small market, many many of the authors are not translated in Hebrew, and even in English many more do not "arrive". Susan is one of them. I've read the China Bayles and Robin Paige series.

I'll look into the Dahlia series. 

I used to read many second hand books, my DS1 was a flight attendant until 18 months ago, and I could order them to his hotel in New York or LA, for as little as 4$ a book.

He was confident that I'll be able to continue this "arrangement" even though he stopped working, by ordering in the name of his colleagues.

When Covid started and the flying stopped, he installed Kindle for me, and I'm a "new" woman 😁, being able to order whatever I want and quickly. A lot more expensive, though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Hello Dani

It is a new day. I am hoping that you,your husband,children and grandchildren remain safe today.

I noticed that you have read some books written by Susan Wittig Albert. I read her Darling Dahlia series. The books are about a group of women living in a small Alabama town during the 1930’s. The somehow get involved in intrigue and mysteries that occur in the town. The women are individuals in their own right,but are connected to each other through their memberships in the local garden club.

The latest book in the series is The Darling Dahlias and  the Voodoo Lily. I find reading is a diversion for me. Trying to solve the mysteries before the solution is revealed is a way to exercise my brain power.

Take care-

MJ

Thanks for mentioning the Darling Dahlias series. I’ve read a couple of them, but Fantastic Fiction says there are more!

The drawback to ordering books from the library for curb side pickup (which is the only way available), it is that one has to know what one wants to read. Sometimes it doesn’t work that way! The pleasurable finding of a book, sitting on a library shelf is something that I miss. 

I wanted to express my horror at Dani’s situation, but others have said it more eloquently than I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, every one had a sleepless night, and during the day the shooting is mainly aimed at the south of the country. 6 deaths. If you take into account that more than 1000 missiles were fired, "Iron Dome" is doing an excellent job -- in the circumstances....

Reading is one of my favorite pastime. Being a small market, many many of the authors are not translated in Hebrew, and even in English many more do not "arrive". Susan is one of them. I've read the China Bayles and Robin Paige series.

I'll look into the Dahlia series. 

I used to read many second hand books, my DS1 was a flight attendant until 18 months ago, and I could order them to his hotel in New York or LA, for as little as 4$ a book.

He was confident that I'll be able to continue this "arrangement" even though he stopped working, by ordering in the name of his colleagues.

When Covid started and the flying stopped, he installed Kindle for me, and I'm a "new" woman 😁, being able to order whatever I want and quickly. A lot more expensive, though.

My SIL loves her Kindle but I guess I am still "old fashioned" and prefer to hold a book in my hands.    Especially when doing a favorite past time of reading on the beach on a beautiful sunny day.      There is a wonderful consignment book shop I go to wherever we are "down the shore".    I stocked up last fall and have a bag full of books to take back to them in June.    We will be back our beach house for the month of June, cannot wait to get there.   The current renters leave on Monday, May 31st and June is the only month it is not rented as we love June at Spray Beach, LBI, NJ.    

Stay well and stay positive 😍

Sure hope it warms up...crazy spring weather this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My SIL loves her Kindle but I guess I am still "old fashioned" and prefer to hold a book in my hands. 

My wife was like you until she got used to her Kindle.  Now, she takes it everywhere.  It weighs less than a book, is easier to hold than a book, takes up less space in her bag, can hold multiple digital books at the same time (always another book ready to start reading) and maybe most importantly, she can adjust the font size (no need to use her readers!). 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am still "old fashioned" and prefer to hold a book in my hands. 

I too prefer a book in my hands, but the "supply" has dried out... Amazon isn't sending 2nd hand books to Israel and they charge a lot of dough for shipping new ones 😢

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My wife was like you until she got used to her Kindle.  Now, she takes it everywhere.  It weighs less than a book, is easier to hold than a book, takes up less space in her bag, can hold multiple digital books at the same time (always another book ready to start reading) and maybe most importantly, she can adjust the font size (no need to use her readers!). 

It took some time for me to get used... but now all I can see are the advantages of "one click buy" and in a minute - the book is downloaded... It surely beats waiting for DS to be in NY and fetch the 2nd hand books I've ordered to his hotel 😉

Fingers crossed for your house sell today... May it sell waaayyy above asking price !!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My SIL loves her Kindle but I guess I am still "old fashioned" and prefer to hold a book in my hands.    Especially when doing a favorite past time of reading on the beach on a beautiful sunny day.      There is a wonderful consignment book shop I go to wherever we are "down the shore".    I stocked up last fall and have a bag full of books to take back to them in June.    We will be back our beach house for the month of June, cannot wait to get there.   The current renters leave on Monday, May 31st and June is the only month it is not rented as we love June at Spray Beach, LBI, NJ.    

Stay well and stay positive 😍

Sure hope it warms up...crazy spring weather this year. 

I felt the same about wanting to hold a book in my hands and turn the pages, so I resisted getting a Kindle for several years.  Finally gave in about 10 years ago and now I love it, especially being able to have immediate access to an unlimited library.  My absolute favorite feature is the ability to download a free sample to see if I like the book before buying it.  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I felt the same about wanting to hold a book in my hands and turn the pages, so I resisted getting a Kindle for several years.  Finally gave in about 10 years ago and now I love it, especially being able to have immediate access to an unlimited library.  My absolute favorite feature is the ability to download a free sample to see if I like the book before buying it.  

how is the sun glare with kindle as I do majority of my reading outdoors, either on my patio or on the beach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Hello Dani

Take care-

MJ

This sounds similiar to Lily’s Payback by Andy Rose.This book is about a group of NYC school teachers who solve murders.

• Thanks 1