What percentage of Celebrity cruisers are actually over 70?

Quo Vadis?

What % of Celebrity Cruisers are actually over 70 who may be impacted with the policy now in effect?  

401 members have voted

1. 1. If you have cruised on Celebrity over the last year or have a new booking that may be impacted by the policy now in effect, what was the age of passengers in your stateroom?

Quite a few threads have discussed the impact of the medical note requirements of passengers over 70 during this crisis.  But what percentage of Celebrity cruisers who follow Cruise Critic are actually affected by the ruling?

Edited by Argo.
  • Like 2

I suspect that Cruise Critic members tend to be a bit older than the average Celebrity passenger, which may skew the results a bit. But even taking that into consideration, I'm surprised with the results so far, with 56.25 responding 70 and older.

• Like 2

Results did not surprise me at all.  Look around on X ships.  Who do you see?  Older people!  

I think the "over 70" group is actually under-represented in the poll so far at 45%.  I think it should be higher.

4 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

I think the "over 70" group is actually under-represented in the poll so far at 45%.  I think it should be higher.

The numbers will change as votes are cast.  It was higher a half hour ago for over 70 (56.25).

The problem is that this fluctuates with the itinerary.....  Caribbean cruise between Thanksgiving & Christmas is going to skew the oldest, along with Transatlantic & more traditional Europe cruises....  the more exotic, adventure based itineraries will skew much younger....  on our last cruise (Iceland)  the majority of people whom I met in Luminae & Michaels & on our roll call were in the 40's to early 60's group.  Australia, New Zealand was a younger crowd as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cluso said:

The numbers will change as votes are cast.  It was higher a half hour ago for over 70 (56.25).

Yes, the title itself encourages self selecting (it's going to automatically attract more viewers over 70)

• Like 1

We started cruising just over 20 years ago when 27/36. Felt like we were the youngest people on the ship. The demographic has certainly dropped since then for the average cruise on the average cruise line.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Also surprised.  We are on the lower side of 50-59 category.  I retired at age 52 last year and couldn't wait for my life of cruising at anytime of year I pleased to begin...oh well...

I hear you! We are 53 and 55 and newly retired. We did get a retirement cruise in October, but had planned to start traveling full-time after our youngest graduates high school next month. 

30+ years of scrimping and saving, living below our means, and investing as much as possible for the retirement of our dreams, alas... the best laid plans of mice and men.

I'm very, very fortunate to have the problems I have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

I’m not sure what the purpose of this poll is. Celebrity has this information already.  Their numbers are actually accurate unlike the results this poll will produce. 

If you would provide a link to that information, that would be great. We can then see for ourselves how far the poll actually skews. 

5 hours ago, mom says said:

If you would provide a link to that information, that would be great. We can then see for ourselves how far the poll actually skews. 

I didn't say I have this information.  I said X has this information since we all give them our exact ages when we book a cruise.  The only thing this poll will reveal is the small percentage of cruisers that belong to Cruise Critic who reply to this thread. In other words, it has no relationship to the true numbers. Right now the poll has 165 replies.  Please don't try to make any conclusions about the percentage of cruisers age 70 and over based on these numbers.

These are not Celebrity specific numbers and I do question the methodology on a few of the surveys, but overall it's as expected IMO. I do agree that the average CC user skews a bit older so these numbers, while not specific to Celebrity, are a good snapshot of the population. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.03.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.03.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.10.19 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried to allow more than one answer for cruisers who may have traveled with children or grandchildren.  The results will be  skewed because there are few children on these boards who book their own cruises....

My guesstimate for the age of Celebrity cruisers would show about 15% over 70, 20% over 60 but then we sail primarily on longer cruises.  The short cruises attract a much younger demographic.

When we started cruising 30 years ago, we were in our early 40s. I remember our first cruise, our TA told us that the cruise line would try to seat us at a dining table with people close to our age. We were, by far the youngest at the table. This was a 7 night Caribbean cruise and even then, the average age was older.

Back then, we few from Texas to Miami the day of the cruise and didn't buy travel insurance. Some things might change but I suspect that cruising has always skewed towards older folks.

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that Cruise Critic members tend to be a bit older than the average Celebrity passenger, which may skew the results a bit. But even taking that into consideration, I'm surprised with the results so far, with 56.25 responding 70 and older.

I would have thought the opposite. The older cruisers are less likely to be planning on the internet

It depends on the cruise. Longer cruises, cruises during school are an older crowd. We dis an 11 day cruise in Feb in the Caribbean and at our ages of late 40's-early 50's we felt we were in the youngest 10%

20 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

The problem is that this fluctuates with the itinerary.....  Caribbean cruise between Thanksgiving & Christmas is going to skew the oldest, along with Transatlantic & more traditional Europe cruises....  the more exotic, adventure based itineraries will skew much younger....  on our last cruise (Iceland)  the majority of people whom I met in Luminae & Michaels & on our roll call were in the 40's to early 60's group.  Australia, New Zealand was a younger crowd as well.  

Also into consideration is the fact that families cruise in only a few times per year....major holidays.

"Mature" (LOL) passengers cruise any time of year.

I think that "mature" passengers are far and away the bread and butter of the cruise industry. I am not just speaking of Celebrity. We have cruised a number of lines and they re all the same demographic.

Make it difficult for them and you will see the industry recovery be slow if it recovers at all..

Edited by pete_coach

Observations on our 9 cruises from February 2019 to March 2020 do not resemble the analysis. We are over 70, and on 8 of those(Celebrity) cruises we were comfortable that the average age was much higher then your depicting. We did 2 transatlantics last year, a 15 and a 13 day, both would not fit the model displayed; other then a few preschool grandchildren and homeschooled, the age group was totally skewed up and over 70.
JuliaMS estimation that her age group was in the lower 10% (we were on the Silhouette b2b during February) is close to what was observed on our cruises.

just observations

Hal