What'd you buy for your cruise that's now useless?

Vagabond Knight

We have a couple hundred Euros we held on to after our cruise last year that we planned to use this year. The good news is that it’s worth more now than we we got it in 2019.

I guess it doesn’t really apply in this thread since it’s doing better than my current investments. Should have bought more Euros last year. 

21 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We didn't buy anything special for our March 23 cruise, although we received something special from Celebrity.

For the first time ever we were given a complimentary upgrade to Aqua Class.

Wow, Pinboy,  That really sucks.   Sorry, couldn't come up with something more ladylike.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

apparently my airfare LAX-YVR then SEA-LAX,  thanks @flightsbycelebrity :classic_huh:

If you have non-refundable tickets, but the airline has cancelled your flight(s), you’re entitled to a refund under DOT rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

If you have non-refundable tickets, but the airline has cancelled your flight(s), you’re entitled to a refund under DOT rules. 

Same here. Canceled our July 2020 Alaskan cruise but still had over $2K in NR airfare with Alaskan Airlines.  Luckily, they changed our flights to different times (greater than 1 hour difference) and that qualified us for a full refund if we did not wish to fly at the different times - which of course we took advantage of.  Welcome home $2K!

For our February SE Asia cruise we bought N95 mask, hand sanitizer, gloves and Clorox wipes. We can use all of them now. But also got $535.16 USD in Thai Baht money and $238.95 USD in Singapore money. Rate to exchange it back was Really bad so we are going to keep it for now and hope to use it in the future. We also have insurance but can also use it at a later date.

11 minutes ago, chemmo said:

A new posh frock!

I am going to wear it, however, the evening of the day we should cruise with a cocktail in my hand and a toast to the future!

Is your new frock anything like Hyacinth’s? 🤣

We bought 3 super duper neck cushions for our long flights to Australia and back from New Zealand. We also bought water shoes for our Fiji excursion . Our currencies I returned and lost £90 in the transaction but did not want all that money lying about the house. Countless new tops and shorts but will use them sometime 

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

A new posh frock!

I am going to wear it, however, the evening of the day we should cruise with a cocktail in my hand and a toast to the future!

Another posh frock...good for you! Wherever and when you wear  it enjoy.  I still love the one I bought for my big b day cruise on EDGE

Glad we had the professional photos..great for the memories

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thank you, Hcat.  I was looking at it as a bad omen.  I like your perspective.  Will use it proudly.

Not a bad omen.. you will get many compliments and make new friends.

25 minutes ago, Sharkette76 said:

Turtle neck sweaters and layers for our Alaska cruise. Sigh.....we live in Florida. Not much use for those here.

Same here! We bought sweaters and turtlenecks for layering and some UGG boots for our May 22 Millie cruise!  We can use them for a few winter days here in Texas!  Hopefully, we can book another Alaskan cruise one day!

Thanks for starting this thread! This is so much more fun than the threads with the contentious back and forth arguments regarding when cruises will start. I’m learning about some things too; ginger gravel, scrubba bags - pretty cool!

I bought beach/cruisewear for my now cancelled cruise next week. I’ll be able to use them on a future beach vacation but won’t likely wear them otherwise. Hopefully I will still fit in them when the time comes!

• Like 1

Great thread.

I finally went ahead and bought one of those KYSS safe lock bags. We have wanted to get one for a while, just never went ahead with it until now! We booked a golf cart in Bonaire and thought it would be useful if we headed to the beach. Not sure what we will need it for now. 🙄
Also, after 12 cruises, and snorkelling on almost every cruise we’ve taken, we finally bought our own snorkelling gear😂

We bid on an upgrade to a Concierge suite too, and it was excepted. Also some great new shoes!! Being at home, I don’t really have an opportunity to wear them! 

Hahaha...oh yes, the drawer of scorned cruise items:

Full faced snorkels

Snorkel vest

Sea bands

Seasickness patches

Many new swimsuits

Dressy clothes and shoes for rapidly growing teen boy

Waterproof backpack

Water proof phone case

Rubber Birkenstocks 

And of course the worst of all...my non-refundable cruise!!! 

Edited by sydbarrett

10 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

A pile of USD for tours that we didn't take because the Eclipse was denied docking and just sailed on.

I'll send you my mailing address.😉 Or you can use it on our September cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

51 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

A pile of USD for tours that we didn't take because the Eclipse was denied docking and just sailed on.

With the Loonie's dive of late, you could make a few dollars selling back the USD.

I had forgotten about this until my wife reminded me

We went to the Doctor to ask about getting a blood test to see if we were immune to Measles

Our cruise was going to Samoa and they'd had a pretty bad measles outbreak

So we paid $48 each to see the doctor, then went to the blood test place and had to pay another $48 each as this type of blood test was not funded by the New Zealand government / ministry of health.

then 2 weeks before our cruise, Celebrity changed the itinerary and removed Samoa and American Samoa because they had both closed their ports to cruise ships - so that was nearly $200 down the drain!

The good news is we are both immune to measles and have a letter from the doctor to say that.....

• Like 2

Travel medical insurance that we bought last Fall, an annual policy that expires this fall.  We haven’t used it yet....   Our Daughter is/was getting married (the date keeps getting bumped back due to Covid19 rules), our B2B inaugural cruise on Mardi Gras for August got cancelled, Las Vegas is basically closed......all of our vacation plans have disappeared.  We are hoping our replacement cruise in December will carry on as planned.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:54 PM, mek said:

I bought a new set of luggage in December.  I was able to use some of it in February for my last cruise, but looks like it will be stored in a closet for longer than expected.

Same here!  Oh well.  We have a cruise booked for October.  We'll see.....