Best X Itinerary for Europe

We've never done Europe before.  I've tried to research, but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer from what I can see.  Thinking about either an eastern or western Mediterranean or Fjords cruise.  Everything appeals to us since we've never been, and quite clearly we can't see it all in one cruise.  What would be the best to start?  A sailing anytime between end of May 2021 through July 2021.  Some info:

Prefer S Class but could do an MClass if there's clearly a better itinerary.  Never have sailed Edge Class so can't say.  We cancelled our Edge and Apex for the fall/winter.

We don't mind port intensive itineraries.

Sailing cannot be longer than 9-10 nights.  7 nights preferable.  DH just can't take that much time of from work when you factor in travel time and pre and post cruise stays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Looks like we won't be sailing for quite some time, so we'd like to make this a great cruise.  TIA!

I think I have done them all except fjords, as I canceled to do a spring TA.  They are all excellent, so that should not be a worry, but I have done the Greek Islaes and Turkey twice; that is an itinerary I loved.  Also, the Adriatic with Croatia, Venice, Dubrunik, Montenegro, Varenna... are fantastic.  Even around the Med with Spain, France and Italy...awesome!  We have also done a 14 day western Med cruise too.  Once again, you cannot go wrong, especially since it is your first one.  I loved my first and it had to include Italy.  Usually I return to Italy for a cruise and my own land itinerary for just two of us, but this year, I had to cancel Edge and Apex.   My next cruise is Galapagos in May of 2021 and then a b2b in Sept/Oct 2021 with time in Italy beforhand.  There is no one best answer, because you will want to return!  You can save the fjords and Russia/Scandinavia for later...you can always read up on all the ports and go from there, or just pick several cruise to compare.  Nothing beats your own research!  Try not to do just seven days - my best tip...

Edited by Lastdance

41 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

We've never done Europe before.  I've tried to research, but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer from what I can see.

Yes, you're right.  There isn't a clear cut answer.  

We've done both an Eastern and Western med cruise (not on Celebrity though) and both were good.  I  thing I'd prefer the Eastern though.  Ours was 7-nights Barcelona to Rome.  It gave us a good mix of places we had been to before (Florence & Rome) and new places.  

Most European. cruises tend to be longer than 7 nights.

It really depends whether you want culture ( Scandinavia /Russia) or hot weather cruise (Mediterranean).

Normally, sailings from Southampton are 14 nights.

IMO, it’s not worth the effort of getting to the port for sailings of less than 14 nights, so we have never done a short cruise of 7 nights, so I cannot advise on that length of cruise.

When you say that you've never done Europe before, do you mean at all or not by cruise ship? If you have never visited at all, I would definitely do a Med cruise, preferably not a closed loop given your available time. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to which Med cruise as it's so subjective. 

On the other hand, if you have done land tours in Europe previously, definitely consider the fjords. We spent two weeks cruising Norway last year and loved it. If you have done an Alaskan cruise and enjoyed it, you should very happy with the fjords.

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

When you say that you've never done Europe before, do you mean at all or not by cruise ship? If you have never visited at all, I would definitely do a Med cruise, preferably not a closed loop given your available time. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to which Med cruise as it's so subjective. 

On the other hand, if you have done land tours in Europe previously, definitely consider the fjords. We spent two weeks cruising Norway last year and loved it. If you have done an Alaskan cruise and enjoyed it, you should very happy with the fjords.

I have never been to Europe before at all.  DH has but it's only been for business so that doesn't count.  So, you would pick the Mediterranean over the Fjords for a first time?   What would be the definite Med ports to be considered for the first time?  Thank you.

It depends really what you want to see. Ancient history? More recent history? Scenery? Pretty Islands? Beaches? Arts and Architecture? Europe has pretty much most of everything. Focus on your own interests and try to base your cruise on that. If it were up to me and it were my first time in Europe I’d go for Mediterranean Europe something that included Rome or even Athens. Venice is unique and worth a visit if you can fit it in. Florence has amazing architecture and art, Naples is gritty and authentic + amazing pizzas! There’s loads of ‘pretty’ places to visit all around the Med. 
It all depends on you. My worst nightmare would be a beach everyday or a private island but everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you choose. Hopefully Europe will be open for you. 

• Like 2

I would pick the Med over fjords for my first time.  I think the quintessential Med cruise should include Venice and Rome (and Greece).

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Eastern med always gets my vote, love the smaller ports of greece and the weather will be warmer at night to be outside even  when windy in summer months, the western med can be chilly when the ship is moving with the winds

For a first time in Europe cruise I suggest you do "Europe's Greatest Hits!".   

Start with the biggies:  Rome, Venice, Florence, &  Paris.  

Get as much time off as you can because 7 days is tough....Can't see enough and the flights are LONG.

Timing - Summer is quite hot.  May & Sept should be beautiful.  October and Nov can be rainy.

Long ago we did a Venice to Barcelona itinerary.  Stops should include: Venice, Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo & French Rivera, Barcelona.  Great introduction to some of Europe's great sites.

As suggested, stay a few days in the cities of embarkation and disembarkation.

Also, if time permits, flights and trains in Europe are very cheap and it's all so close.  After Barcelona get on a train to Paris for a few more days.

ONE IMPORTANT SUGGESTION:  When you pick an itinerary look at what day of the week you are in each port.  Many top museums are closed on Monday and the Vatican Museum (Sistine Chapel) is closed Sundays.  Don't be there on those days! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I have never been to Europe before at all.  DH has but it's only been for business so that doesn't count.  So, you would pick the Mediterranean over the Fjords for a first time?   What would be the definite Med ports to be considered for the first time?  Thank you.

Yes, definitely Med for first time around. I like @Cat4158's post, but I also agree with @mahdnc's comment about Venice and Rome. Very conveniently, Celebrity offers a seven night Venice to Rome cruise which meets your time preference.

Our first cruise was Southampton to Santorini.  Will never forget those blue/white buildings in Santorini and the deep pink bougainvillea hanging over them.  I think you can't go wrong with Europe, anywhere.  No matter what you do, I would try to spend a few days in Paris before or after the cruise.  We also loved the Baltics which we did on Eclipse.  Venice is spectacular.  I don't know how long it is going to be available to cruise ships, so maybe should be on your list.  I could go on and on.....

Another idea is a river cruise, totally different but I think you see more.  We sailed from Budapest (another wonderful city) to Amsterdam.

I would not pick August as it is hot and everyone is on holidays, so places are crowded.

Edited by TeaBag

47 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I would pick the Med over fjords for my first time.  I think the quintessential Med cruise should include Venice and Rome (and Greece).

Totally right I think for a first timer a Med.cruise from Barcelona . Got great advice to stay a couple nights in Barcelona on this site ,Glad I listened.  

• Like 2

Count me as another vote for the Med, either East or West (although I prefer Eastern....)

My biggest comment is this:  fight for every day you can get. The flights are long and there is a LOT to see. Can your husband start working with his employer now to try to negotiate for extra time?  You won't be sorry to spend at least two weeks on this, your first visit.

We like a cruise that has different embark and disembark cities. Allows a few days in each and may avoid a sea day returning to the original port. Rome to Barcelona or reverse is a good starter and tends to hit many of the highlights. The Greek Islands are also great and for us is more relaxing as things tend to be closer to the ports.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

We have cruised with X 3 times in the Med : a 11 night Eastern Med ( Rome to Rome-on the Reflection ) , 11 night Western Med ( Rome to Rome on the Reflection) and a 9 night Venice to Barcelona on Connie. We love the Med ! We spent 5 nights in Rome before the first cruise , 5 nights in Paris before second cruise and on last cruise we spent 4 nights in Venice before and 3 nights after in Barcelona. We really enjoy spending time in cities before and after cruises. My favourite port out of all the ports was Valetta Malta I was on deck at 6 am sailing into the harbour it was stunning more so then Dubrovnik. We are hopefully going to do another cruise with stops in Portugal and Spain.

I have cruised the Med and visited many, many times land based and yacht sailed Greece/Turkey/Croatia. I think the itinerary Venice to Rome or reverse would be great particularly if stops off in Dubrovnik/Valetta/Corfu.

Timings wise I would avoid July (perhaps not the first week) and August as the schools are off, it is very hot and Europeans decamp to the coast. We always holiday in June and September to avoid the crowds and little darlings.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, Want2Cruise 701 said:

We've never done Europe before.  I've tried to research, but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer from what I can see.  Thinking about either an eastern or western Mediterranean or Fjords cruise.  Everything appeals to us since we've never been, and quite clearly we can't see it all in one cruise.  What would be the best to start?  A sailing anytime between end of May 2021 through July 2021.  Some info:

Prefer S Class but could do an MClass if there's clearly a better itinerary.  Never have sailed Edge Class so can't say.  We cancelled our Edge and Apex for the fall/winter.

We don't mind port intensive itineraries.

Sailing cannot be longer than 9-10 nights.  7 nights preferable.  DH just can't take that much time of from work when you factor in travel time and pre and post cruise stays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Looks like we won't be sailing for quite some time, so we'd like to make this a great cruise.  TIA!

Nothing wrong with a 7 day cruise if thats all you can do especially since you should arrive to your embarkation port 2 days early..  For our 1st Med cruise, we got to Italy 4 nights early and spent time in Italy before boarding a 7 day cruise.

a day or preferable 2 days early.  

Have a look at 27 May 8 night cruise laving Venice, Zadar, Kotor A wonderful port just for the arrival alone, Naples, Rome, Florence , Marseille, head into Provence and late lunch in Cassis,  ending Barcelona.   

On the sea day travel trough the Strait of Messina, you may get a glimpse of two active volcanoes, Etna and Stromboli.

Edited by Redrobo
  • Like 1