Masks probably required

I guess I am confused by this whole mask shaming which is going in both directions here and throughout the US (but surprisingly, very little in other countries around the world).

So here is my brief take:

If you shame someone for wearing a mask, there is absolutely nothing that person can do that can affect your life.  None.

If you shame someone for not wearing a mask, there IS something that person can do to affect your life.  The risk may be extremely low.  But that behavior could, again, in a very rare instance, end your life.

Big difference.

• Like 1

I have worn a mask while driving to the local Lowe's or Walmart. It is an N95 mask bought among several years ago for dust when driving my tractor.

With glasses and a hat, it is a bit easier to do it at home than in the parking lot. If I were biking somewhere, it would likely be better to wear it than to crush it into a tight sweaty pocket. N95 masks are stiffer than the bandana type and do not uncrush well.

There can be lots of reasons besides stupidity for doing what the biker was doing. If meeting up with friends, having the mask easily available seems quite reasonable. Heck, maybe he has allergies and doesn't want to sneeze.

It is very interesting, though, to see how many people here think it is worse to be overly cautious. I remember noro discussions where some people insist their lack of hand washing or sanitizer use doesn't affect anyone.

23 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

My own physician doesn't wear a mask during flu season when treating patients in an examination room (very small, closed door) unless that patient presents with symptoms of the flu (coughing, fever, etc).  

Are you seeing @Ocean Boy ?  

Mine, the boss, is wearing her mask with patients but has a majority of elderly people that have known issues. 

9 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

Using that as a basis for having everyone else wear masks in public makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.  

Guess those videos showing a shower of small, tiny specks of fluid emitted even more than 6 feet away when most people speak were somehow "video-shopped"...they said "say it don't spray it" decades ago.  Still applies.

How does someone without a mask know that the person they could be affecting might be a high risk individual?  Cancer patients, diabetics, etc. aren't typically obvious. It's for that very reason the cruise lines will adopt mask policies and procedures...to protect all passengers...yes...even those who are too foolish to understand they need protection.

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I have worn a mask while driving to the local Lowe's or Walmart. It is an N95 mask bought among several years ago for dust when driving my tractor.

With glasses and a hat, it is a bit easier to do it at home than in the parking lot. If I were biking somewhere, it would likely be better to wear it than to crush it into a tight sweaty pocket. N95 masks are stiffer than the bandana type and do not uncrush well.

There can be lots of reasons besides stupidity for doing what the biker was doing. If meeting up with friends, having the mask easily available seems quite reasonable. Heck, maybe he has allergies and doesn't want to sneeze.

It is very interesting, though, to see how many people here think it is worse to be overly cautious. I remember noro discussions where some people insist their lack of hand washing or sanitizer use doesn't affect anyone.

You make very good points.  As prevously stated we have not been asked to wear masks in the outdoors and there is very little evidence for wearing them.  I am very cautious about noro, however, as have experienced it in the family when the kids were young two Christmasses running (not a pun).   The problem with being overly cautious in my opinion only is that it will make it much harder to get back to whatever normal will be when this goes away.  While it had had clearly dreadful and fatal consequences healthwise it has also caused the vast majority of the world to halt economically. 

8 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I guess I am confused by this whole mask shaming which is going in both directions here and throughout the US (but surprisingly, very little in other countries around the world).

So here is my brief take:

If you shame someone for wearing a mask, there is absolutely nothing that person can do that can affect your life.  None.

If you shame someone for not wearing a mask, there IS something that person can do to affect your life.  The risk may be extremely low.  But that behavior could, again, in a very rare instance, end your life.

Big difference.

Very well said!

Sadly some here just won't ever accept that reality. Hopefully they choose another vacation choice other than cruising.

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

If one wants to be overly cautious there is nothing wrong with it, IMO.  Others, without masks  should also be cautious of those around them.  Respect to others, both ways is important. Sadly it seems to have gone out the window, and Covid is just another example over and above hand washing to prevent Noro.

What I do not like is how someone who is cautious and watchful of others gets painted with a wide brush.  Just because they aren't wearing a mask the moment they leave their home, it doesn't mean they don't care for their fellow man.

Masks, worn or not, seem to have become the newest form of virtue signalling in today's society. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5

I expect the policies of all cruising companies to have a clasue about mask and gloves requirenment. It will take (in my opinion) the entire year until they change it. It clear that we wont be able to cruise without any things being prohibited. Masks will be required for sure. The only place where mask will not ba required is your cabin. So yes, get ready for a new reality 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I expect the policies of all cruising companies to have a clasue about mask and gloves requirenment. It will take (in my opinion) the entire year until they change it. It clear that we wont be able to cruise without any things being prohibited. Masks will be required for sure. The only place where mask will not ba required is your cabin. So yes, get ready for a new reality 

i dont disagree that this may happen, but i think that will further hurt the cruise industry.  A lot of us wont cruise if there is a mask requirement and we are the fanatics.  Think about the general population that is already weary of cruising and now telling them they have to wear a mask at all times except in their cabin??  Not feasible in my opinion or at the very least will make it difficult to get people back on the ships.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If one wants to be overly cautious there is nothing wrong with it, IMO.  Others, without masks  should also be cautious of those around them.  Respect to others, both ways is important. Sadly it seems to have gone out the window, and Covid is just another example over and above hand washing to prevent Noro.

What I do not like is how someone who is cautious and watchful of others gets painted with a wide brush.  Just because they aren't wearing a mask the moment they leave their home, it doesn't mean they don't care for their fellow man.

Masks, worn or not, seem to have become the newest form of virtue signalling in today's society. 

I wonder if the decision makers at RCCL saw the video of the gentle folk at a Staten Island grocery store accosting a non compliant unmasked shopper?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shoppers-at-staten-island-grocery-store-scream-at-woman-for-not-wearing-mask-2020-05-25/

Now in NY, there is a law requiring mask wearing...but one can only imagine if some cruiser from my State should innocently leave his cabin, unmasked...and be confronted by screaming, cursing, threatening masked mob from another State...who feel he is a threat to their lives.

If one of that mob should be transported...”beam me up,Scotty and drop me in S.C.”...he would die of fright in my Walmart or grocery store.

But any day now...as I have been told here for months...we are going to be COVIDly punished for it....

6 minutes ago, 20165 said:

i dont disagree that this may happen, but i think that will further hurt the cruise industry.  A lot of us wont cruise if there is a mask requirement and we are the fanatics.  Think about the general population that is already weary of cruising and now telling them they have to wear a mask at all times except in their cabin??  Not feasible in my opinion or at the very least will make it difficult to get people back on the ships.  

Agreed.  I also noticed they mentioned gloves.  Gloves are absolutely ridiculous.  Much safer just to wash your hands frequently.  The only place I could see a glove working out is if they offered single use oversized plastic gloves that basically fit like a mitt to use at buffets.  Obviously, that would result in a lot of trash, but would minimize some of the concerns about buffets.  

But count my family as one of the first to jump on a cruise as long as masks aren't required.  If masks are required, we will vacation somewhere where they are not.  Pretty simple.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

If this is what you truly believe, then you better not drive your car, because you could be involved in a motor vehicle accident.  You shouldn't go out even after covid 19, because you might have another germ that could affect someone.  You shouldn't even be around anyone else at all, because accidents happen, and even if you didn't mean it, you could accidentally put someone else at risk.   I hear there are private islands for sale if you really wanted to live this way. 

Based on this logic I can only presume the author ignores speed limits, stop signs, and traffic lights when driving.

It is fact that one can have COVID-19 and not know it. It is fact that such a person can infect others. Like obeying traffic laws, following public health directives is a civic duty. Just because one doesn't agree with a particular speed limit does not make it okay to speed. Just because one doesn't agree with a mask wearing directive does not make it okay to not wear a mask. 

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

Based on this logic I can only presume the author ignores speed limits, stop signs, and traffic lights when driving.

It is fact that one can have COVID-19 and not know it. It is fact that such a person can infect others. Like obeying traffic laws, following public health directives is a civic duty. Just because one doesn't agree with a particular speed limit does not make it okay to speed. Just because one doesn't agree with a mask wearing directive does not make it okay to not wear a mask. 

CC91E4A6-E858-4C95-9ECE-E6CDA859B611.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

True all of that.  Virtue shaming is just another word for telling you that you don’t matter unless you behave exactly how they want you to.  Freedom must die.  The individual has no rights.  Have a problem that could cause you to die wearing a mask.  Don’t care.  You will obey or you will be abused.  Period.

Welcome to Orwells world.

jc

6 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

That's helpful.

Actually, it isn't.  It was a study of 1 patient in a hospital setting, and the only conclusion offered was that "some" asymptomatic carriers may be weak transmitters of the virus.

Compare to the numerous outbreaks where no one was symptomatic. Big whoop!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

WOW...all those poor doctors and nurses wearing masks all the time for decades...they’ve been exposed to unhealthy practices...

Who knew??? (apparently not the entire medical world)...

Also...don’t recall one single claim that masks prevented Covid...only reduced the potential spreading via coughing, sneezing, and other oral contagious actions...

So much for “science”....

Based on that post logic...cruising, air travel, social events with more than 2 people, etc are years away...

Agree to disagree.

You obviously didn't bother to read the study before commenting.

Enjoy cruising.

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Actually, it isn't.  It was a study of 1 patient in a hospital setting, and the only conclusion offered was that "some" asymptomatic carriers may be weak transmitters of the virus.

Still...how do you explain it? Come on...try....

Not one case. And the problem with your “conclusion” is that we don’t know if the asympotmatic individual was the one who infected the others...or not. The asympotmatic may simply have had antibodies and so did not get sick.

And may not have enough viral load to pass on the disease.

There will be more studies.And it will explain why certain areas have been lax in these demanded practices and still have not had a responding surge.

• Like 1

Medical masks are required for nursing staff and doctors. In the OR and many other places in a HOSPITAL!

The CDC has changed their recommendations just about every week. Weare masks, no need to wear masks.

Plus, most of all the masks will do nothing for you. There are only two types that will. Surgical face masks and the N95. Anything else and they are just about useless. So everyone walking around wearing a homemade mask or a bandana are just kidding themselves. 

20 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I totally agree with you. I was being sarcastic.  The evidence is heavily weighted on the side of asymptomatic transmission.

Stupid to post a graphic some non-verifiable words on a cell phone.  And I am NOT going to search to find the citation.

Lazy posting.

Edited by ECCruise
Too many "
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Medical masks are required for nursing staff and doctors. In the OR and many other places in a HOSPITAL!

The CDC has changed their recommendations just about every week. Weare masks, no need to wear masks.

Plus, most of all the masks will do nothing for you. There are only two types that will. Surgical face masks and the N95. Anything else and they are just about useless. So everyone walking around wearing a homemade mask or a bandana are just kidding themselves. 

Every week?  This is typical FBook BS. Several articles have been written about that.  PolitiFact and MediaWise among others.

How about one major restatement in over 3 months.  And the early recommendation was because of fear of hording and starting to analyze the data.

I can't believe in this day and age people either don't get the purpose of a cloth mask or simply continue to pretend to be uninformed.

CDC.  Today:

two people wearing cloth face coverings. Text: your cloth face covering protects them. Their cloth face covering protects you.

• Like 4