Masks probably required

22 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

I don't have to deal with anything.  I won't go any place that requires a mask.  I will only make an exception for taking a short flight while the airlines are requiring it, but I will remove the mask frequently to take drinks.  Other than that, if a mask is required I will do something else.  

Good luck with that..........have fun in your basement........

• Like 3

According to my scientific CC poll twice as many people say they will NOT cruise if masks are required.  So there you have it😇   All theme parks are starting out requiring masks so I have a feeling the ships are going to as well

Ships will be 1/2 empty or 1/2 full 

Edited by molly361

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

everything said about a subject has already been said.

That just means "I didn't say it yet"......LOL

Or.... I haven't yet convinced you that I am right and you are wrong....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Good luck with that..........have fun in your basement........

I don't have to stay in my basement.  I have been able to go out and about freely and have yet to put on a mask (well I did for two minutes of a drywall project but quickly determined that I would rather breathe the dust than wear a mask).  There are plenty of places in this country not requiring masks and those are the ones I will choose to travel to and spend my $ there.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

So Carnival will bring out a brand new ship if this starts happening and cal it. The Carnival Cremation

might help to explain their smokey stacks going forward. Really, one stop shopping. Board for your cruise and finish with a burial at sea.  Just have a cash account.😉 (Joke Font)

53 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

We'll see if the mods agree with you.

more subtle. 

49 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When has that ever stopped us before?

never. LOL

20 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Or.... I haven't yet convinced you that I am right and you are wrong....

tug of was and both sides are strong willed. 

11 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

I just dry heaved.

Imagine if the sneezer was wearing this. Would you like one? Early Christmas gift?

734E43B6-D497-48B2-BC8D-6300DEB006CD.jpeg.81bcf7478f479ee448bc98cbd039d9e9.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, molly361 said:

According to my scientific CC poll twice as many people say they will NOT cruise if masks are required.  So there you have it😇   All theme parks are starting out requiring masks so I have a feeling the ships are going to as well

actually its worse that that.  The poll i just put up, 8 out of 10 people responded they would not cruise if masks were required.  Im not overly concerned what peoples views are on masks, but i am concerned that people start cruising again when they reopen and the mask seems to be a showstopper for most...

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I totally agree with you. I was being sarcastic.  The evidence is heavily weighted on the side of asymptomatic transmission.

Stupid to post a graphic some non-verifiable words on a cell phone.  And I am NOT going to search to find the citation.

Lazy posting.

Hey if something happened to ONE person, and somebody wrote about it somewhere, it MUST be true, and it must apply to everybody everywhere!

I agree, it was a totally silly and pointless post.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 20165 said:

actually its worse that that.  The poll i just put up, 8 out of 10 people responded they would not cruise if masks were required.  Im not overly concerned what peoples views are on masks, but i am concerned that people start cruising again when they reopen and the mask seems to be a showstopper for most...

Where is this poll?  If it's on cruise critic, then it probably is not representative of the cruising population in general.  

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Where is this poll?  If it's on cruise critic, then it probably is not representative of the cruising population in general.  

oh i absolutely agree with you on that.  If 8 of 10 cruisers on cruise critic wont cruise with a mask, i think there is little chance for the general population will do it.  

Viral vaccines are rare, the fastest, EBOLA, was developed in FIVE Years, so many won’t be cruising for awhile.

So, this long term cruiser will not cruise if mask are required and petition for full refunds on any cruise requiring them.

One Cruisers opine

Edited by Slidell_Cruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Or completely full of complying passengers...just wait and see....

21 minutes ago, hazence said:

Governor of Va taking selfie at the beach this weekend. He just mandated use of masks in public places.

FC233C1D-4E8A-4A70-9018-EDE0EAE8CACC.jpeg

Wasn't there one from the governor of New Jersey also?  Plus the Michigan's mayor husband wanting to break the rules to get his boat out.  And the Illinois governor's wife leaving the state.  They just go on and on. 

Honestly, time to just open back up, protect the nursing homes and other vulnerable, keep an eye one the hospital capacity in areas and let this virus run its course.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

Wasn't there one from the governor of New Jersey also?  Plus the Michigan's mayor husband wanting to break the rules to get his boat out.  And the Illinois governor's wife leaving the state.  They just go on and on. 

Honestly, time to just open back up, protect the nursing homes and other vulnerable, keep an eye one the hospital capacity in areas and let this virus run its course.  

If they really really believe this stuff, why aren’t they afraid not to practice it?! Back mid March when my refugee daughter came here from London ( after a week at the Armory Show in NYC) ...she has accused me of following her around, spraying her with Lysol.

Not quite... but my hands actually bled...wiping down everywhere...constantly...with those Healthcare Clorox wipes. She could only use her own bathroom...couldn’t come into our room...couldn’t help with anything. No fever...no symptoms..but we wouldn’t let her leave the house because we cared about our neighbors.

I believed!!!! Don’t they BELIEVE? This is why I have come to increasingly think all this is COVID-security- blanket stuff.  If you FEAR ENOUGH...you never forget.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

Yes.

Let's do just like Sweden.  Keep everything open, only those who want to stay in do so.  No restrictions in place.

Oops....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'll post this again for all those folks who want to chime with an opinion but don't want to read the 40 pages of this thread.

I don't understand why so many people are anti-science.  Masks are unhealthy and do not prevent the disease.

That's science, if you believe differently is because you are acting and thinking ideologically and not critically.

Interesting. Missed that before.

Lots of citations, but relatively few of them evaluated the mask vs no mask scenario.

Even the authors of the linked article say, "we don't recommend them because we're not sure if they help". 

(GAH! I typed in the quote and now can't edit.  Not a fan of the quoting on this forum. Sure would like the old way back)

Data lacking to recommend broad mask use

We do not recommend requiring the general public who do not have symptoms of COVID-19-like illness to routinely wear cloth or surgical masks because:

• There is no scientific evidence they are effective in reducing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission
  • Their use may result in those wearing the masks to relax other distancing efforts because they have a sense of protection
  • We need to preserve the supply of surgical masks for at-risk healthcare workers.

Their points are:

1) We're not sure if they're effective.  (as opposed to "it has been demonstrated that they're NOT effective).  Wording matters.

2) We're afraid of other consequences that are unrelated to the effectiveness of the masks

3) Healthcare workers need them (despite the lack of evidence that they're effective)

These points also amount to opinion, not science. 

I skimmed several cited references looking for the "mask vs no mask" nugget without a lot of luck.  Interesting studies of various sorts though.

This one caught my eye:

https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1003205

"These results suggest an important role for aerosols in transmission of influenza virus and that surgical facemasks worn by infected persons are potentially an effective means of limiting the spread of influenza."

Certainly nothing conclusive on the topic.   They block large particles well and aerosols less well.  What that means for mask vs no mask in a real-world scenario (i.e. a cruise ship) isn't conclusive whatsoever.   

Edited by D C