The Daily for Thursday May 7, 2020

richwmn

today is National Tourism Day

According to my best recollection, I don't remember.
        -- Vincent "Jimmy Blue Eyes" Alo

Meal suggestion for today - Smoky sweet potato & bean cakes with citrus salad

At Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Cape Town South Africa eta 5/11
Nieuw Statendam destination Rotterdam eta 5/12
Rotterdam destination Cape Town eta 5/19
Veendam destination Cape Town eta 5/21
Volendam destination Cape Town South Africa 5/11
Zaandam destination Rotterdam eta 5/12
Zuiderdam destination Walvis Bay eta 5/19

At Sea Pacific
Eurodam destination Manila eta 5/8
Maasdam destination Labuan Malaysia eta 5/27
Noordam destination Manila 5/23
Westerdam destination Manila eta 5/23

Ensenada
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

At Sea Indian Ocean
Amsterdam destination Manila eta 5/12

I was going to change today's holiday because it somehow doesn't seem appropriate given yesterday's announcement. However, I saw this as part of the writeup:

Mark Twain once wrote: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Tourism gives people new experiences, enriches their lives in countless ways, helps businesses, and bolsters the economy.

Yesterday we found out that most cruises are over until next year. An opening was given for a "soft" start with Caribbean cruises starting with the usual season around the beginning of November. I would suspect that any itinerary currently on the books would be subject to change. Ships, ports, and dates are all subject to being altered due to the new circumstances.

It looks like several ships will spend the pause near Cape Town, South Africa. A couple will be in Rotterdam with the rest around Asia unless things change.

I am also not sure of the future of this forum, as there won't be much positive to talk about for the next few months.

Rich

• Thanks 1

Rich: 

I was saddened to learn that NO ship would go to Alaska this year.  I have been in Alaska for every year since 1997, with the exception of 2003.  I think of the native Alaskans who will suffer economically because of this decision.  When  ever I am in Alaska, I make it point to only support stores owned by people who live in Alaska all year.   I am more than a liyyle concerned about the future of cruising.

• Like 1

Thank you for the daily....I expect the forum will continue, at least for a long while.  Cruising itself is another question.  Let's hope for the best.

Rich I heard this morning that today is National Prayer Day.  That might be appropriate at this time.  A lot of us are praying for refunds or FCCs to finally show up.  Everyone is praying that this virus goes away and we find a vaccine and treatments.  And the cruise lines are praying that they get back to business safely ASAP.  I'm praying for all of them to come true!

• Like 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Good morning my fellow Daily-ites & CC Sisters! 

Rich, I hope you are wrong about this forum. My hopes: People will continue to ask questions, and plan. We will continue to learn from each other. We will continue to celebrate each other. We will continue to commiserate with each other a la @kazu’s broken foot.  We will continue to share memories.

But I am the eternal optimist. 

I am going to tuck today’s meal suggestion away for the future. It sounds interesting.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Rich I heard this morning that today is National Prayer Day.

Probably the most relevant date for today.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Mark Twain once wrote: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Tourism gives people new experiences, enriches their lives in countless ways, helps businesses, and bolsters the economy.

Sad that travel is on hold as we seem to have a lot of prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness in the world and we need travel more than ever.

Roy

• Like 4

Thanks for the Daily!  I DO hope this will continue - how else would I know what day it was, and what to cook for my DH?  You've turned me into quite the culinary goddess, you know!  Even if your suggestions aren't my favourites, they still give me ideas for alternatives.  Like today's - the only thing I can pick out of it is a citrus salad.  LOL   I did make the Cheeseburger Pie yesterday, and a ginormous batch of Sunny Summertime Pasta Salad that I think we're going to be working on for the next week.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 3

Good Morning Rich and Daily-ites. I would be sad if you were to cancel the Daily, although I would understand. It's become my morning coffee first read and we all enjoy your witty words and menu suggestions.

To my CC sisters Denise and Cat, don't give up hope. We will travel again in the future. I am still holding my breath as to Hawaii opening up again sometime soon. So many service people out of work and living on an expensive island has got to be tough.

Maybe we will plan on spending another month there rather than cruising next March. So much up in the air right now.

Keep your chins up, and look towards spring and summer, flowers and murder bee invasion.. LOL

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good Morning Rich and Daily-ites. I would be sad if you were to cancel the Daily, although I would understand. It's become my morning coffee first read and we all enjoy your witty words and menu suggestions.

At this point I am not planning to stop these threads. My concern is that with no concrete plans for new cruises people will not find a reason to visit, and those who do visit will find mostly negative threads - ie - Where is my refund??

I hope we can start talking about new cruises soon, and the good aspects about cruising.

• Like 5

Good morning Rich!!!’

First I must say “Don’t give up the ship!!!!”

The Daily brought on by you is creative, inspirational, gives us positivity, AND MOST IF ALL 🌺HOPE! At least for me 

it gets me started in the morning always,

and it is a place where as family we can talk about anything and our dreams of the future!!

Please keep this going. Rich I do understand if you don’t and will always be grateful for how you gave us all our dream of travel through HAL!

Your the Captain of our CC ship here!!

Sincerely,

Denise😊

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

At this point I am not planning to stop these threads. My concern is that with no concrete plans for new cruises people will not find a reason to visit, and those who do visit will find mostly negative threads - ie - Where is my refund??

I hope we can start talking about new cruises soon, and the good aspects about cruising.

Glad to hear your thread will continue. 🙂 

I share your concerns and  hope ❤️ 

Thank you for the daily report.  It’s always appreciated.

• Like 1

Good morning Joy and Cat!

To my CC sisters Denise and Cat, don't give up hope!! ( Joy never!!!! Right? All for one,

one for all!) Wasn’t that the 3 Musketeers! LOL. Have a great day both of you!!!!

Rich’s quote for the day by Jimmy Blue eyes

that seems to be My Mantra right now! LOL.
Denise😊

• Like 2

Isn't that the truth. 

I don't often reply but read this daily.  Thank you, Rich, for the Mark Twain quote.  I do hope that this thread and others can continue and will inspire other's to plan and discuss future cruises.  Having a cruise in my  "bucket" is one of many things that I enjoy and keeps me sane in the midst of all what is going on in the world.  Appreciate all the positive advice and cheer that is posted here.  Keep up the great work everyone.

Prayers to everyone, our nurses, doctors, responders, and especially family and friends.  Stay strong and well.

• Like 3

So far they canceled my Alaska cruise on the Maasdam but I had planned a continuation to San Diego and Mexico. With Alaska gone I had booked a repeat of the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego. So far neither of those have been canceled. I am not holding my breath about them being canceled but maybe, just maybe the Maasdam will be one of the lucky first ships to sail again. 

I too hope you continue Rich. It is one of the bright spots in the cruising world. 

• Like 2

Just now, lindaler said:

So far they canceled my Alaska cruise on the Maasdam but I had planned a continuation to San Diego and Mexico. With Alaska gone I had booked a repeat of the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego. So far neither of those have been canceled. I am not holding my breath about them being canceled but maybe, just maybe the Maasdam will be one of the lucky first ships to sail again. 

I too hope you continue Rich. It is one of the bright spots in the cruising world. 

Fingers crossed for you lindaler! That will

be a great cruise to look forward too!

Hope your doing well!

Have a good day

Denise😊

• Like 2

Thank you for doing the Daily Report, Rich and I hope you continue. If we have nothing to talk about for 2020, we, at least, have plans for 2021. That gives us hope and a reason to keep chatting!

Edi

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thank you for doing the Daily Report, Rich and I hope you continue. If we have nothing to talk about for 2020, we, at least, have plans for 2021. That gives us hope and a reason to keep chatting!

Edi

We have up coming cruises also! Koningsdam 1/9 Hawai’i/ Mexico!! And in 2022! So at least like you we have something to look forward too and for me to keep talkingLOL🙄

Denise😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1