The short term future of swimming pools

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yep.  And if you think that "social distancing" has become the "new normal", just take the example of this Cape Cod ice cream shop as how little this has become "ingrained" in our habits:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/us/ice-cream-shop-closes-employee-harassment-trnd/index.html

Chengkp75

i have enjoyed and taken your word as the absolute truth 100% of the time. Sorry to say, it dropped to 99% after this post. Quoting CNN as fact is just wrong. 

The article has more to do with requiring customers wanting ice cream to call ahead with their orders at least an hour ahead of time.  Those that showed up without an order were abusive to the staff. 

I wouldn’t trust anything that comes out of CNN. They have one agenda. 

Respectively

M8 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

No way, the pools must be open.  I can't imagine cruise life without the pools open.

Especially since it would be a VERY long week for you without a pool.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Chengkp75

i have enjoyed and taken your word as the absolute truth 100% of the time. Sorry to say, it dropped to 99% after this post. Quoting CNN as fact is just wrong. 

The article has more to do with requiring customers wanting ice cream to call ahead with their orders at least an hour ahead of time.  Those that showed up without an order were abusive to the staff. 

I wouldn’t trust anything that comes out of CNN. They have one agenda. 

Respectively

M8 

Fair enough, but every major news channel in Boston, as well as all the papers have covered the same story.  The ordering in advance was to keep "social distancing", and those that did not want to practice "social distancing", or were unhappy with new sanitation protocols practiced by the employees became abusive to the employees.  As far as I can see, civilization as we know it is coming to a crashing end with this pandemic, where people cannot treat each other with respect even in the simplest of circumstances.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As far as I can see, civilization as we know it is coming to a crashing end with this pandemic, where people cannot treat each other with respect even in the simplest of circumstances.

Was just talking about this very thing yesterday.  The world has gone mad and one doesn't have to dig too deep to find sampling of that with some of the abusive posts right here on CC.  (Just a general observation not related to this thread.)

I have to agree with @Milwaukee Eight, your posts are always very informative and I respect and appreciate your vast knowledge of all things maritime.  Thank you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hey, Milwaukee....Fairly certain you had also posted to that "Why are you here" thread. What happened to it? Removed?  Seems to be gone. 

It probably got political or too abusive.  Once that happens, the mods will remove it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yep.  And if you think that "social distancing" has become the "new normal", just take the example of this Cape Cod ice cream shop as how little this has become "ingrained" in our habits:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/us/ice-cream-shop-closes-employee-harassment-trnd/index.html

I believe this...goes right along with other displays of impatience, disrespect, and even violent outcomes I've heard about - not necessarily on CNN either. At least segments of the US are not prepared to truly practice and adhere to social distancing. It's becoming obvious. Our county commissioners are now going against the governor's shutdown / stay-at-home orders. I totally get the plight that businesses are in, since my brother is a small business owner and so understand that side of the coin. It's a problem not encountered before, other than going back to the Depression - and yet different than that in a way since it was essentially an economic problem not compounded by the presence of a novel virus. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It was getting that way. Maybe it was reported??? 😇

To me, the whole thing felt like an opportunity to do some trolling - not that there weren't some valid concerns raised, but it sort of seemed like a chance to complain about people complaining (or being negative), which likely just invites more of the same (?)

• Like 2

Call me a Pollyanna, but I see 95%+ of people doing everything they can for the good of public health. Calmly waiting in lines to enter stores, standing six feet apart. Yeah there is a small group of Yahoo!’s being jerks, but for the most part I’m pretty impressed with how people are behaving. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I see 95%+ of people doing everything they can for the good of public health.

Sometimes, it's so ingrained and automatic, folks just don't think. I was on a flight this weekend and everyone followed instructions from crew up until arrival. Without any specific instructions, when the plane pulled up at the arrival gate, everyone except me and one other person (of the 62 on the plane) stood up and crowded together in the isle to disembark.

Yes, this is the best and worst of times in how we treat each other.

On one hand I have been overwhelmed with gratitude for the the amazing, kind and thoughtful people that live in my neighborhood. So much checking in on each other..”need anything from the store”...”I have extra...I’ll drop It over.”...that kind of thing. Two neighbors sent out an email early on to everyone..they will make a cloth mask for free...pick your fabric. When the Food Bank put out an SOS, neighbors put together 90 lbs of supplies. We truly love our neighbors!!

Old friends from far away...now are calling frequently...yes, partly  time on our hands. But I know a lot of these reconnections will continue...we won’t lose each other again. . Spent over an hour Saturday laughing about old times and old romances with my college roommate now in NJ. 

But then...social media...and even here sometimes. If someone doesn’t agree with another poster’s view, prediction, or politics..there is just no tolerance. We are politicized without even talking politics..we can’t even talk about or work together in regard to a killer virus. I hope that’s just the anonymity of the Internet.

I know, in my real life...I see so much more positive than negative.

If they limit capacity on the elevators or in the pools, will there be someone there to enforce it?  My husband uses a scooter & we were waiting for an elevator & people pushed past us to get on the elevator leaving no room for us.  I can't see any ship assigning a crew member at each bank of elevators or pool to tell passengers they can't go in or get on.  

On 5/7/2020 at 6:34 PM, Billy Baltic said:

I’m in the theoretical low risk category and was keen to start cruising as soon as possible but I’m not paying full price for less than full amenities. 

I just went through this at a hotel. We still had to pay the resort fee even though everything was closed except the hotel rooms. No pool, no pool deck, no gym, nothing. Yet they still charged it. 

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I typically go to 17😇

BTW, Oasis doesn't have a deck 13, so your example is really 12 flights 😎

Welcome to Royal, we cruised Carnival back in the day.

Thanks for proving my point. 🙄

Have no idea what's on 17 though another post mentioned something bout suites which is probably why I have no idea what's up there (even though I've sailed Oasis twice).

We sail a mixture of both. Platinum on Carnival and still love to cruise there but wife really wants to get the 3 hours of free booze at Diamond on Royal so our efforts are concentrated there for the time being. 7 Royal and 2 Carnival booked and after that it will probably go down to 50/50 between the two lines.

28 minutes ago, RedLightVegas said:

I just went through this at a hotel. We still had to pay the resort fee even though everything was closed except the hotel rooms. No pool, no pool deck, no gym, nothing. Yet they still charged it. 

That's a bunch of malarkey. They should not be charging a fee for something that isn't available.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:44 PM, zekekelso said:

Call me a Pollyanna, but I see 95%+ of people doing everything they can for the good of public health. Calmly waiting in lines to enter stores, standing six feet apart. Yeah there is a small group of Yahoo!’s being jerks, but for the most part I’m pretty impressed with how people are behaving. 

I'm not seeing that in many cases, especially the idiot that came out of the local post office yesterday - took his mask off as soon as he's out the door and then as he's approaching me (coming the opposite direction towards the PO) he coughed a few times. Thanks a LOT pal..... Like it would have killed him to keep the mask on for another minute till he gets to his car??  I see this all the time with people removing masks too soon. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm not seeing that in many cases, especially the idiot that came out of the local post office yesterday - took his mask off as soon as he's out the door and then as he's approaching me (coming the opposite direction towards the PO) he coughed a few times. Thanks a LOT pal..... Like it would have killed him to keep the mask on for another minute till he gets to his car??  I see this all the time with people removing masks too soon. 

As soon as the state Governors open the states you will see many,many people not wearing masks ,walking hand in hand and coughing into the air.