The short term future of swimming pools

Not sure if it would carry over to cruise ships, but gyms in my area re-opened recently, but all pools, hot tubs, stream rooms, saunas, water fountains, showers and locker rooms have to remain closed. It seems they consider anything with liquid a higher risk of spreading the virus.

29 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Then they will be keeping a lot of people (not necessarily old) from cruising. Also, who's going to climb from Deck 1 to deck 10 multiple times a day?? No logic is shutting down elevators. Quite possibly limiting the number of people on at one time but not shutting them down completely.

I never said shut them down

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Somewhere there is a corporate suit who first said, “Here’s an idea. Why don’t we spend a few hundred $million adding water slides and turn our ships into giant water parks.”

People loved it, not sure I get your point.

Most people point to the adding of cabins at expense of public space to be the issue

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Not sure if it would carry over to cruise ships, but gyms in my area re-opened recently, but all pools, hot tubs, stream rooms, saunas, water fountains, showers and locker rooms have to remain closed. It seems they consider anything with liquid a higher risk of spreading the virus.

Haven't heard anything about treated pool water spreading CV. Where I'm at Water Parks opened yesterday, this along with outdoor Malls. All under the outdoor open air in the Sun is safer, still maintaining social distancing and free masks provided those want them while shopping

Edited by ONECRUISER

23 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Then they will be keeping a lot of people (not necessarily old) from cruising. Also, who's going to climb from Deck 1 to deck 10 multiple times a day?? No logic is shutting down elevators. Quite possibly limiting the number of people on at one time but not shutting them down completely.

Not many people have access to deck 1 , we use the stairs multiple times a day and see others using the stairs too . Seems to be very popular , you should try it . it's not that hard you just take one step at a time . It has health benefits too :classic_rolleyes:

https://hr.duke.edu/wellness/exercise-fitness/take-stairs/benefits-taking-stairs

There is the logic ......

SAY NO TO ELEVATOR ADDICTION :classic_smile:

We have a large HOA with 6 pools.  They usually open April 1st.  DH asked one of the maintenance men on his run this week when they would open.  They thought June1st.  The chlorine should kill the virus.  It’s figuring out social distancing and crowd control ...

so they be open but limit how many can use them at a time.  Simply because hot tubs put mist into the air I might stay away from public ones for awhile.

4 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Not many people have access to deck 1 , we use the stairs multiple times a day and see others using the stairs too . Seems to be very popular , you should try it . it's not that hard you just take one step at a time . It has health benefits too :classic_rolleyes:

https://hr.duke.edu/wellness/exercise-fitness/take-stairs/benefits-taking-stairs

Last 8yrs done 3-6 weeks a yr on Cruises. Haven't been on a Royal Elevator since 2002. Understand that I'm fortunate able do just stairs. Wipe down my Cabin and never touch doors, railings or chairs with hands, this before CV. Not 100% but do what can. Cruises I take are 10-16niters so already have less passengers then most, many Solo's and typically only 10-30 kids at most on a sailing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

I use the stairs usually for a deck or two, but not from 1 to 9 or 10 or anywhere near close to that. Arthritis (and overweight due to arthritis) just doesn't make it possible for me, at least not an any decent speed. Sure, if my wife and friends don't mind waiting half an hour for me I'm sure it could be done but I'd have to get up around 0500 to get to the breakfast buffet on time.

And yes, some of us are routinely on deck 1 due to the cabins being inexpensive so we can cruise more often. 30 completed, 9 booked. Yea!!!

My point though is that anyone of any age could be in a wheelchair, electric scooter ,or one of those push scooter things they rest their injured leg on and push themselves around and stairs aren't an option for them. Period.

Edited by Computer Nerd

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

You may not have but Molly sure did and that's who I quoted when you jumped on the bandwagon.

Sorry, you quoted me😉

I really don't jump on any Bandwagon

I am the Bandwagon 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I use the stairs usually for a deck or two, but not from 1 to 9 or 10 or anywhere near close to that. Arthritis (and overweight due to arthritis) just doesn't make it possible for me, at least not an any decent speed. Sure, if my wife and friends don't mind waiting half an hour for me I'm sure it could be done but I'd have to get up around 0500 to get to the breakfast buffet on time.

And yes, some of us are routinely on deck 1 due to the cabins being inexpensive so we can cruise more often. 30 completed, 9 booked. Yea!!!

My point though is that anyone of any age could be in a wheelchair, electric scooter ,or one of those push scooter things they rest their injured leg on and push themselves around and stairs aren't an option for them. Period.

Ok, name a Royal ship with passenger cabins on deck 1.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Ok, name a Royal ship with passenger cabins on deck 1.

Based on your hoity toity response, I guess none. I usually sail Carnival and stay on Deck 1 (Riviera) all the time. SO, since you want literal numbers, try using the stairs to go from Deck 3 on the Oasis to the WindJammer on Deck 16. Only 13 flights. 🙄

Seems some folks miss the intent because they are too busy critiquing the specifics. 🙄

Before a Royal Loyalist jumps on me asking "why is a Carnival cruiser on a Royal board" it's because 7 of my next 9 cruises booked are on Royal so I can get to Diamond status. 😄

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry, you quoted me😉

I really don't jump on any Bandwagon

I am the Bandwagon 🤣🤣

Yes, you quoted my response to Molly and therefore I quoted your response to me. Wouldn't think it would be that hard to follow but I guess I'm wrong in that aspect. I'll try to simplify things for you in the future.

• Haha 1

Yes, you quoted my response to Molly and therefore I quoted your response to me. Wouldn't think it would be that hard to follow but I guess I'm wrong in that aspect. I'll try to simplify things for you in the future.

You really don't seem to understand how quoting works. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Based on your hoity toity response, I guess none. I usually sail Carnival and stay on Deck 1 (Riviera) all the time. SO, since you want literal numbers, try using the stairs to go from Deck 3 on the Oasis to the WindJammer on Deck 16. Only 13 flights. 🙄

Seems some folks miss the intent because they are too busy critiquing the specifics. 🙄

Before a Royal Loyalist jumps on me asking "why is a Carnival cruiser on a Royal board" it's because 7 of my next 9 cruises booked are on Royal so I can get to Diamond status. 😄

I typically go to 17😇

And yes, I have gone from deck 5 all the way to 17. Generally after muster, because aint nobody catching an elevator then. 😉

BTW, Oasis doesn't have a deck 13, so your example is really 12 flights 😎

Welcome to Royal, we cruised Carnival back in the day.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about Covid-19 being passed through the water in the pool, but through the giant sneeze from the person standing too close to you! Think about how crowded these tiny pools are normally. Yes they will try their best to limit capacity and keep people six feet apart, but all it takes is one jerk who won't follow rules and now you have exposure to lots of people. 

4 hours ago, cello56 said:

I wouldn't worry about Covid-19 being passed through the water in the pool, but through the giant sneeze from the person standing too close to you! Think about how crowded these tiny pools are normally. Yes they will try their best to limit capacity and keep people six feet apart, but all it takes is one jerk who won't follow rules and now you have exposure to lots of people. 

Yep.  And if you think that "social distancing" has become the "new normal", just take the example of this Cape Cod ice cream shop as how little this has become "ingrained" in our habits:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/us/ice-cream-shop-closes-employee-harassment-trnd/index.html

7 hours ago, cello56 said:

This is why it will be difficult. How do you tell 1 person they can use the pool and the next Sorry. It's literally impossible to Social Distance in a cruise line pool with the amount of pax. Pools are a social gathering place.

Can you imagine the worker that has to enforce that, the amount of abuse would be crazy.

Would it be better to just keep the pool closed, which is unlikely as that would be taking something else away from pax.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and how pax adjust. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:40 PM, Computer Nerd said:

Sorry, not all of that is going to happen. You every seen anyone get a scooter/wheelchair up or down stairs?

I am pretty sure there was some sarcasm in Molly's post.