BEWARE! Celebrity is NOT refunding money for cancelled cruises

wsjim

45 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Celebrity is in a very hard situation right now. They will issue all the requested refunds but it will take aproximatly 120 days from the moment of a claim. The reason to it is that they want to hold on to your money until they can cover all the mandatory payments they have. Taxes, dock charges and crew salaries 

Where did you hear that?  My refund took a few more than 30 days, (about 20 business days).  The idea that Celebrity is holding refunds to pay operating expenses - while a common theory here on Cruise Critic - is not being borne out by reality. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, s0479 said:

Definitely not by sail date.  Mine was 3/13 and still haven’t received.

Did you get a cancellation notification from Celebrity? We received one on the 15th March re their global cancellations. Your cruise pre-dates this so I presume people like yourselves and Argo would have received cancellation notices particular to your specific cruises.

I would say that ours was straightforward as it was purely a cruise, no airfare involved. 

Edited by downsmead

14 hours ago, downsmead said:

Did you get a cancellation notification from Celebrity? We received one on the 15th March re their global cancellations. Your cruise pre-dates this so I presume people like yourselves and Argo would have received cancellation notices particular to your specific cruises.

I would say that ours was straightforward as it was purely a cruise, no airfare involved. 

Our cruise was cancelled after we left - or maybe call it ended very early.  No airfare involved for me.

Edited by s0479

On 5/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, wsjim said:

To all Celebrity cruisers:

Celebrity will NOT refund our cruise money for a sailing we had booked on Celebrity Edge for March 22, 2020.

This cruise was part of the first wave of cruises cancelled by Celebrity in early March.  When we found out, we called and asked that they cancel our cruise.  Turns out we called a few hours before it was official, so what they're saying is that we cannot get our money, and that we're stuck.  NEVER will I ever cruise again with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.  NEVER.  If this is how they treat their customers (especially all of us in our group, who are Diamond and up), then they deserve to GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

It appears that you need a new TA more than a new cruise line.   The problem is with your TA.

I'm sorry we'll never meet.  

Bye

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Does anyone really expect that making numerous calls and waiting extended times on hold and sending numerous emails is going to somehow speed up getting a refund? The calls/emails from all of us, US and UK, are and will in the future get the same response of ‘the refund is in process/being worked/will be sent.....etc, etc, etc’ until they actually send the refund. So why are so many making these calls and getting upset over something you have no control over and your efforts make no change to the situation. All it does is get you more upset and suspicious of getting a refund that others are reporting they are getting, including me.

Den 

Well it would help if they had some decent communication.  I cancelled via a link in their email but didn't have a confirmation email, so had to try and contact them to check that they had received it.

The initial email said a refund in 30 days.  I waited 30 days but no refund so tried to contact again.  They then said 40 days for refund, but yes you've guessed no refund after 40 days.  No further communication no answering of phones.  Yet some people have received a refund in 2 - 3 weeks according to these boards including some people who cancelled after me.

Can you really not see why people are worried/suspicious?  Presumably you are not worried because you have received your refund.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, Orator said:

The key fact is that YOU cancelled before the announcement was official.You lost the game of chicken. Since you cancelled before Celebrity they own you what your contract requires.Surprised that your TA didn't charge $100 cancellation fee as they normally do. 

Really sorry that this happened to you. celebrity might have done some goodwill, but they are not required to do anything.

As side note to the OP's issue, most good TAs do not charge a $100 cancellation fee normally.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sam49 said:

......Can you really not see why people are worried/suspicious?  Presumably you are not worried because you have received your refund.

Yes I can see why people, including me,  were and are worried. Suspicious? No, but concerned yes of when I was going to get my money back and I didn’t want to have to pay off a chargecard and then get the refund after that. But I didn’t quit worrying because I got mine and don’t care about anyone else. I was concerned when it would come in and I’m concerned for my friends and community, but the point I am making is calling numerous times over and over again does nothing. Two posts pointed out the Line didn’t get their request for a refund and hadn’t acted so a call was not only appropriate, but required. But calling day after day does nothing productive. 

I’ll end it there. I hope there is no one out there that paid for their cruise, and it is now having a major financial issue trying to survive without it being returned. But it’s our money and we are owed it back, but while I waited for my refund, I was more focused on keeping healthy and keeping distant from all those that somehow ignore the reality of this pandemic. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Yes I can see why people, including me,  were and are worried. Suspicious? No, but concerned yes of when I was going to get my money back and I didn’t want to have to pay off a chargecard and then get the refund after that. But I didn’t quit worrying because I got mine and don’t care about anyone else. I was concerned when it would come in and I’m concerned for my friends and community, but the point I am making is calling numerous times over and over again does nothing. Two posts pointed out the Line didn’t get their request for a refund and hadn’t acted so a call was not only appropriate, but required. But calling day after day does nothing productive. 

I’ll end it there. I hope there is no one out there that paid for their cruise, and it is now having a major financial issue trying to survive without it being returned. But it’s our money and we are owed it back, but I while I waited for my refund, I was more focused on keeping healthy and keeping distant from all those that somehow ignore the reality of this pandemic. 

Den

I must admit while this has been going on my mindset has been that’s it’s money that would have been for a cruise anyway so why is everyone panicking about how quickly it’s returned, the main thing is it is returned, even if it takes longer than usual. I never thought that maybe some of the cruise passengers were now in financial difficulty and desperately needed that money in order to survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I must admit while this has been going on my mindset has been that’s it’s money that would have been for a cruise anyway so why is everyone panicking about how quickly it’s returned, the main thing is it is returned, even if it takes longer than usual. I never thought that maybe some of the cruise passengers were now in financial difficulty and desperately needed that money in order to survive.

Yes, I haven't said it, but all of these posts made me think of the people on here who are always saying "If you're having to budget that closely you shouldn't be cruising." and lecturing about having enough savings in case of emergency.

And I'm pretty sure that some who have done the chastising previously are among those freaking out that they haven't gotten their money back yet.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yes, I haven't said it, but all of these posts made me think of the people on here who are always saying "If you're having to budget that closely you shouldn't be cruising." and lecturing about having enough savings in case of emergency.

And I'm pretty sure that some who have done the chastising previously are among those freaking out that they haven't gotten their money back yet.

Yes, most of us that can afford 3-5 cruises a year will still survive if we never see

our money again. HOWEVER, I worked long and hard for most of my life and for many

years saved for being able to enjoy my retirement. I still can't throw my money away!

Also supporting Billion dollar companies with a donation is not my idea of fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BP99 said:

Yes, most of us that can afford 3-5 cruises a year will still survive if we never see

our money again. HOWEVER, I worked long and hard for most of my life and for many

years saved for being able to enjoy my retirement. I still can't throw my money away!

Also supporting Billion dollar companies with a donation is not my idea of fun!

I never said they should not refund the money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I never said they should not refund the money.

Sorry. From your opening statement, I wasn't sure what you meant.

You were quoting and thinking about what others have posted but

I misinterpreted where you stand.

I have a cruise in August.   I am NOT cancelling it.  I fully intend on going.  Period.  If I don't go, it's because Celebrity cancelled it and I'll then expect my money to be returned.   That also includes one excursion and my airfare.  No FCC for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My friend, you have cancelled the cruise before an official statement. So it was you who initiated the process of cancellation. Judicially, they dont have to refund you anything. I mean, I totally understand you and I wish they could refund you  but in this situation the law is not on your side. I hope you are doing alright 

2 hours ago, yorky said:

I think that there may be two or three issues at play. While I think that you are probably right for the most part, don't forget that there are a lot of people who aren't working right now, so there's no money coming in. While many of us don't need the money to survive, there may well be some who do.

There is also a lot of discussion both in the media at large and here on CC about the financial standing of a number of cruise lines, bankruptcy often cited as a possibility. While I doubt that Celebrity will go bankrupt, there are those who feel it's a real possibility and are concerned about getting their refunds before that eventuality ever comes to pass. If you are one of those will multiple cancelled cruises and thousands of dollars in refunds that never seem to come, you too might be a tad panicky.

And then there are those who are simply impatient. "I want my refund and I want it NOW!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that there may be two or three issues at play. While I think that you are probably right for the most part, don't forget that there are a lot of people who aren't working right now, so there's no money coming in. While many of us don't need the money to survive, there may well be some who do.

There is also a lot of discussion both in the media at large and here on CC about the financial standing of a number of cruise lines, bankruptcy often cited as a possibility. While I doubt that Celebrity will go bankrupt, there are those who feel it's a real possibility and are concerned about getting their refunds before that eventuality ever comes to pass. If you are one of those will multiple cancelled cruises and thousands of dollars in refunds that never seem to come, you too might be a tad panicky.

And then there are those who are simply impatient. "I want my refund and I want it NOW!"

The longer this goes on the more likely that some, if not a lot of holiday companies will go bust. So I personally would like my money back, not wait for almost seven weeks with little or no communication from Celebrity. and no sign of a refund.

The other point to bear in mind is that certainly in the UK (not sure if it is the same in the US) is that we can apply for a chargeback through our credit card company.  However in order to do so you have to provide evidence that you have actively tried to get your money back from the company concerned. This would include copies of emails, phone calls etc.  Just sitting there saying oh I thought they would because people on a forum said be patient wouldn't really work.

Can someone advise me if this is the same in the US?  Or could this be why Celebrity are dragging their heels in refunding UK cruisers?

As happens all too often, OP has not replied to supplemental questions or provided requested info.

I have one question. Maybe I missed it, but where did OP say anything about a TA giving out the info, or using a TA rather than dealing directly with X?

On 5/8/2020 at 2:03 PM, wsjim said:

To all Celebrity cruisers:

Celebrity will NOT refund our cruise money for a sailing we had booked on Celebrity Edge for March 22, 2020.

This cruise was part of the first wave of cruises cancelled by Celebrity in early March.  When we found out, we called and asked that they cancel our cruise.  Turns out we called a few hours before it was official, so what they're saying is that we cannot get our money, and that we're stuck.  NEVER will I ever cruise again with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.  NEVER.  If this is how they treat their customers (especially all of us in our group, who are Diamond and up), then they deserve to GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

Your title to your thread is incorrect! :classic_rolleyes:

The issue with refunds is crazy accounting.  Shore excursion $ in one account, port charges in another.  Makes each refund exceedingly cumbersome.  Add in that most are working from home and impossible to hire additional staff and you have a fiasco.

The good news is RCCL has borrowed sufficient funds to cover refunds.

The bad news is The next chunk of cancellations coming shortly and the accounting backlog with likely only get worse.

• Thanks 1

There are kind responses to the OP here but there are also some responses that really show a disturbing lack of empathy or appreciation that other people's situation might be different to their own.  I hope every one gets their money back or their future cruise and that the cruise companies survive so that we can cruise again one day. 

One thing I have noticed with this whole pandemic and its effects is that there seems to be some big (cultural?) differences in how people respond to these circumstances.  Why do people put down other people who are anxious about getting their money back instead of supporting them and wishing them the best?  

10 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I think because OP knows s/he is wrong and is not getting the support here s/he was hoping for.

Or maybe he's creating a new screen name for a new thread.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

There are kind responses to the OP here but there are also some responses that really show a disturbing lack of empathy or appreciation that other people's situation might be different to their own.  I hope every one gets their money back or their future cruise and that the cruise companies survive so that we can cruise again one day. 

One thing I have noticed with this whole pandemic and its effects is that there seems to be some big (cultural?) differences in how people respond to these circumstances.  Why do people put down other people who are anxious about getting their money back instead of supporting them and wishing them the best?  

Very much appreciated perspective.  The tone of some of the responses  on this thread are fairly  harsh...perhaps in reaction to  the initial post???? Time to move on from one person's scenario...

We learned our lesson on our first ( self)  cancellation ..Cruise with Confidence.. We should have waited but we were very frightened of Covid consequences and  Celebrity cruise line dallied in canceling back then. Thought we bailed out with the best deal possible.

After that experience,  we cancelled most of our bookings with X based on how they were approaching things..canceling cruises AFTER final payment dates for cruises that could never happen,  and then delaying refunds.

We have one more refund in process and one res open...to hopefully use up our FCC. At present, there are no assurances the medical note is gone forever, or that other  health exclusions may apply going forward. Hoping for the best.......

• Like 1