Lost Luggage

We drive to our departure port and hand our luggage over to the handlers while keeping a small carryon bag with us.

Under this scenario, has anyone experienced a loss of the checked bags?

I have not but wondering if I still need a carryon.

Just now, Houndfish said:

We drive to our departure port and hand our luggage over to the handlers while keeping a small carryon bag with us.

Never! 

Not me but I did share a table at lunch in the WJ with a lady whose suitcase had fallen in the water while being loaded onto the ship. They were dry cleaning everything for her and paying her for things (e.g., shoes) that were irreparably damaged. I would never pack medicines or valuables in luggage that leaves my possession in any event. 

• Like 2

Absolutely not, but still need a carryon for bathroom stuff, makeup,  meds,  jewelry, anything important, and change of clothes for dinner.  I always assume my luggage will be last delivered...someone's is so could me mine.

Plus they do occasionally put the luggage outside the wrong door.  Worthwhile checking the hall occasionally during delivery and the area outside the crew elevator where the luggage is coming up from loading.  Different crew members bring luggage bins up to the passenger floors, unload them into the hallway, and then deliver to outside your door.  If your luggage loses a tag (rare) it will wind up at Passenger Services.  If you put something in it that looks like a prohibited item it will wind up in the "Naughty Room" and you will eventually get notified to retrieve it.

We had heard about people losing their luggage and thought that would be hard to do, since there are tags with room numbers on them.  Then we went on Liberty in the Presidential Suite, largest on the ship, and guess what...they could not figure out where the suite was.  We had to hunt down our luggage, it was at doors at the front of the ship, and anywhere but at our door and we only had 4 pieces of luggage.  That is one of the nice things about Star Class, your luggage is handed over to one person who takes it directly to your suite. 

1 hour ago, Houndfish said:

You should have a carryon for any valuables and medication.  Also, tip the porter.  My husband did not once because we got separated and I had all the cash.  Needless to say that night we went to gs and there were 2 bags with luggage tags ripped off. 

3 hours ago, Houndfish said:

We cruise 5-6 times a year (or should I say we use to cruise 5-6 times a year). Never had a bag "lost". We always have a luggage tag on both handles of the bag and our name on the bag (required by the airlines). We always check all of our bags with the porters and carry small backpacks on board with important stuff. 

We had the great pleasure of being called to the naughty room on one cruise and saw about 20ish bags (out of say 7000 checked bags) looking for owners. Either bags where the luggage tags were lost or bags which never had a luggage tag on them. The ship uses any external name to call its owner to come and pick it up. 

28 cruises and never a lost bag.  Well, except one on Carnival when we got it about 1/2 hour later than the rest because our tag had been torn off.  Our steward found it and brought it to us.

Nope.  I've got my regular name tag on all my luggage, the cruise line's cabin tag (in a plastic holder with a steel wire attachment instead of having it stapled to a handle) and a copy of that same paper tag in my luggage in case I'm really unlucky with the external tags and they need to open a bag.

Edited by mk-ultra

Never had luggage lost.

ALWAYS take a carry-on for things that would ruin my cruise if they were lost/damaged/stolen -- electronics, medication, and contacts/glasses.  (I don't wear jewelry, but if I did, that would also stay with me.)

Clothes and toiletries can be replaced -- if worse comes to worst I can always wash my outfit in the sink at night and wear it every day for the whole cruise! 

But if I didn't have my phone (which is also my camera, my alarm clock, and my information holder), my medications, or my prescription contacts/glasses, then I would not be able to participate in the cruise at all.

The only weak point in the luggage chain - where they dump off and line up the luggage at the end of cruise point, it is not regulated or supervised - and people can literally just walk off into the parking lot with stolen luggage. 

Out of 84 cruises only once was there a problem. Cruising out of Fort Lauderdale, it rained. Rain in Florida must be a rarity. They did not cover the luggage but let it sit out in the rain. The luggage tags became ruined. Even one of ours in a plastic sleeve. There was complete chaos at guest relations trying to straighten that mess out.