Taking a cue from hotels

drew69

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

If I want to clean my own room, & make my bed  I can do that at home. 

Agreed!  But I don’t count on this happening.

The latest research on the spread of the virus indicates that it mostly happens by droplets spreading from the mouths of infected people, not from contact with surfaces, so this shouldn’t interfere with room attendants doing their jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marieps said:

Sun and a breeze are great disinfectants, which is why most warm weather cruising is safer than is being depicted, IMHO.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but medical experts have denied this time and time again in relation to COVID-19.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, marieps said:

Sun and a breeze are great disinfectants, which is why most warm weather cruising is safer than is being depicted, IMHO.

Then please explain Brazil. 

Lots of sun and warmth. Not so much social distancing since Bolsinaro didn't think it was effective. Currently #2 in the world behind US. 

• Like 2

Optimists are booking cruises now because they trust that the COVID precautions will be effective and will not degrade the cruise experience significantly.

I wish I was an optimist, but I'm not wired that way.  I kind of fear the worst until I have evidence otherwise.  I see a high potential for COVID precautions to alter the cruise experience in a negative way.  I hope I'm wrong.  I very much want to take a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2021, but I'll likely wait until 2022.  I need to evaluate the cruise experiences reported by the optimists (thank you for being the trailblazers).  That way I'll have a better idea if cruising still holds the value for me that it once did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drew69 said:

While there has been much speculation on changes when cruising returns, it has mostly focused on the public spaces and modifications.  Based on what is happening with hotels - and I mean luxury hotels such as the Four Seasons, etc. - much will most likely change in the cabin, cabin service, butler service, etc.

Little or no interaction with steward or butler

No daily housekeeping - you make your own bed and tidy your own cabin.  Supplies - towels, toiletries, toilet paper, etc. are dropped off in a bag and you leave dirty towels in a bag to be picked up

Cabin stripped of many amenities/surfaces for easier cleaning - minibars, coffee makers/kettles, glasses, printed material, etc. removed from room

Limited room service, dropped off with disposable cutlery, dishes, etc.

Deep cleaning with rooms not being ready until much, much later upon boarding

No more unpacking - for anyone who did use this butler service - shining shoes, mending, etc. to minimize interaction with guests and guest belongings

No behind the scenes or bridge tours

Elsewhere, self-service  beverage stations gone.  Stacks of pool or gym towels gone, libraries gone, etc.

These are in addition to the impact to dining, bar service, public spaces, shows/events, ports, etc.

When cruising does return, after health considerations  - which are most important for everyone to decide if cruising still works for them - the many changes needed have to be weighed to determine the value proposition/bang for your buck - to see if it is still worth the price beign charged

My Magic 8 Ball say's, "very doubtful". 🎱🤣

I guess I have two thoughts, one that I'll put into the "realist" category. If the cruise line can't provide the "luxury" (let's not have that argument, please) experience for the luxury price, given that there is no other reason to take a cruise (it's not transportation, like an airplane in this day and age), then there's no reason to get on the ship. So if the necessary controls take you out of the experience for your own and your fellow guests safety, I don't see how they operate. Maybe the early runs at diminished capacity that have been proposed, but not for long after that.

Business travelers will tolerate a lot at a hotel, up to a point. Been there, done that. This isn't business travel.

And the somewhat sarcastic thought is I hope we're not handing out Darwin awards to the optimists and near deniers since the lines are probably going to push forward regardless...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Optimists are booking cruises now because they trust that the COVID precautions will be effective and will not degrade the cruise experience significantly.

I wish I was an optimist, but I'm not wired that way.  I kind of fear the worst until I have evidence otherwise.  I see a high potential for COVID precautions to alter the cruise experience in a negative way.  I hope I'm wrong.  I very much want to take a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2021, but I'll likely wait until 2022.  I need to evaluate the cruise experiences reported by the optimists (thank you for being the trailblazers).  That way I'll have a better idea if cruising still holds the value for me that it once did.

Someone has to be the first group of cruisers for sure, whenever that is.

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

And the somewhat sarcastic thought is I hope we're not handing out Darwin awards to the optimists and near deniers since the lines are probably going to push forward regardless...

And what will likely happen when they do push forward.

All you have to do is to read earlier on in this thread at a hotel in SC last weekend: 

Roof top pool: People all over seemingly without a care.

And recent news strories:

Lake of the Ozarks.

Boat parades packed nose to tail with no social distancing.

Spikes in several places attributed not to increased testing but to increasing ignorance of social distancing.

Admittedly, the jury is still out on what the outcome of all this.  Could be virtually nothing, which would be wonderful.  But for congregating in public or going on a cruise, I'm gonna take a wait-and-see approach.

10 minutes ago, yorky said:

Someone has to be the first group of cruisers for sure, whenever that is.

We are still planning on our September 2020 Eclipse cruise. Unless Celebrity cancels it. Final payment is due 13 June and I plan on making it. 🤞

• Like 4

For us, there are just too many variables still unanswered.  No one know exactly what will be implemented and most likely those implemented processes will change and evolve.

The cruise lines have still been very silent about exactly what the scenarios will be, but are still selling cruises and collecting final payments for an unknown product.

I think it is fairly safe to assume, it will not be the same cruise experience as before.

Before I hand over my money and commit to going, I want some specific details on what exactly am I buying - how will F&B venues be handled, what facilities/entertainment  will be curtailed or unavailable, how will housekeeping, crew interactions be handled, what about spas, gyms, pools, exactly what is the mask policy, etc.

How will it be handled when someone does get sick- and someone will.  Will we be left on the ship endlessly, quarantined, what?

I don't believe in buying the proverbial "pig in a poke." 

Also, as demonstrated in many States where thing were opened quickly and caution was thrown to the wind, there are many people out there who cannot be trusted to behave responsibly.  I am not going to be stuck on a ship with them.

• Like 2

We'll be the Beta group in September 2020. Looking forward to our cruise. 🤞 

If we have to take care of our own stateroom, no biggie. We always keep our stateroom tidy. We can make our own bed, change the sheets every third or fourth day (whatever the rotation is), wipe down the bathroom counter top, shower, request fresh towels twice a day and request ice twice a day. We still want our evening chocolates!! 🤣 But for the first time ever we will seriously consider not be paying gratuities for the stateroom attendant "if" Celebrity discontinues the stateroom service we have always had, been use to and appreciated from our stateroom attendant. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, drew69 said:

For us, there are just too many variables still unanswered.  No one know exactly what will be implemented and most likely those implemented processes will change and evolve.

The cruise lines have still been very silent about exactly what the scenarios will be, but are still selling cruises and collecting final payments for an unknown product.

I think it is fairly safe to assume, it will not be the same cruise experience as before.

Before I hand over my money and commit to going, I want some specific details on what exactly am I buying - how will F&B venues be handled, what facilities/entertainment  will be curtailed or unavailable, how will housekeeping, crew interactions be handled, what about spas, gyms, pools, exactly what is the mask policy, etc.

How will it be handled when someone does get sick- and someone will.  Will we be left on the ship endlessly, quarantined, what?

I don't believe in buying the proverbial "pig in a poke." 

Also, as demonstrated in many States where thing were opened quickly and caution was thrown to the wind, there are many people out there who cannot be trusted to behave responsibly.  I am not going to be stuck on a ship with them.

And this is where we look to the first set of cruisers and their experiences, we need this in order to make our own judgements moving forward.

• Like 1

The River Cruise Companies have already published their new methodologies under the virus.   Just look at the news area of cruise critic.  No mention of cleaning your own cabin or of paper plates and plastic flatware, but there are definite changes.  The ocean cruise lines may follow similar procedures.

7 hours ago, drew69 said:

While there has been much speculation on changes when cruising returns, it has mostly focused on the public spaces and modifications.  Based on what is happening with hotels - and I mean luxury hotels such as the Four Seasons, etc. - much will most likely change in the cabin, cabin service, butler service, etc.

Little or no interaction with steward or butler

No daily housekeeping - you make your own bed and tidy your own cabin.  Supplies - towels, toiletries, toilet paper, etc. are dropped off in a bag and you leave dirty towels in a bag to be picked up

Cabin stripped of many amenities/surfaces for easier cleaning - minibars, coffee makers/kettles, glasses, printed material, etc. removed from room

Limited room service, dropped off with disposable cutlery, dishes, etc.

Deep cleaning with rooms not being ready until much, much later upon boarding

No more unpacking - for anyone who did use this butler service - shining shoes, mending, etc. to minimize interaction with guests and guest belongings

No behind the scenes or bridge tours

Elsewhere, self-service  beverage stations gone.  Stacks of pool or gym towels gone, libraries gone, etc.

These are in addition to the impact to dining, bar service, public spaces, shows/events, ports, etc.

When cruising does return, after health considerations  - which are most important for everyone to decide if cruising still works for them - the many changes needed have to be weighed to determine the value proposition/bang for your buck - to see if it is still worth the price beign charged

And this is why the more I think about it, and the longer this goes, the more convinced I become that there will be no cruising without a vaccine and enough vaccine to cover most all people.

Hotels have been looking to scrap daily maid service for years and Covid is a handy excuse. The service on a cruise is part of the experience, even diluted as it has been over the last 10 years, I’m not sure how this will pan out going forward.

Its inflammatory and probably not fair to say the CDC has it in for the cruise industry and is trying to send a message, but I do think there is little incentive for CDC to prioritize cruising, or even cut the industry a break. CDC is mostly providing guidelines and suggestions, but for cruises they actually get to decide yea or nay, and I suspect that behind the scenes the reopening plans have to be either proof of vaccination by almost everyone onboard or an equivalent level of safety.

9 hours ago, helen haywood said:

If these measures were to be implemented I'd expect the price of the cruise to go down versus full service cruises prices in the past. 

But if the Marriott Courtyard example of no housekeeping doesnt translate to lower rates.....

28 minutes ago, hcat said:

If we have  to do it ourselves, we  may as well go camping or rent an RV.

Camping in the Covid era? Sanitary? Are you insane!!?? 🤣

Edited by BEAV

Let me rephrase.  If these measures are implemented and the cruise price does not go down to reflect less service, then I won’t be interested in paying the same for less.  I had a reservation at a 5 star resort once...and they lost a star and didn’t change their prices.  I canceled my reservation.  Just my personal opinion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There's nothing intrinsically unsafe or unsanitary camping or RV'ing during this or any other era. 

...unless your Mother forgets to pack (and schlep) half the cleansing aids my Mom did when we set out on childhood “vacations”. 

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We are all entitled to our opinions, but medical experts have denied this time and time again in relation to COVID-19.

The US Department of Defense says the half life of the virus in UV light is 3 seconds.  It was part of a task force update weeks ago.  

• Like 2