Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

Florida Governor is currently having a round table meeting with Miami-Dade mayor, the CEO of Jackson Health, and the mayors of several cities in Miami. Local News 10 showed this chart. If you are thinking about cruising from Florida, best bet would be Port Canaveral over PortMiami or Port Everglades. 

E8BAFC18-9D1C-4EAC-9709-FE4FF4E46364.png

8 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

This same thing happened to friends we know here in Tennessee. They both went to get tested and waited an hour and half to get the test and decided to leave and try another testing facility. They drove by the other testing facility and the line was too long so they were going to go back in two days when it was open again. Got a call the following day from the first place saying their tests were positive...they never took that test! Again, we personally know these people.

I agree with the first part of your statement...this virus will be with us for a while and a vaccine isn't always the answer, especially one that is being rushed in the manner this is happening. Herd immunity and building up your immune system is a positive answer for sure. Masks, that's something I don't agree on...and we can agree to disagree on that. BUT, anywhere I've been in the past several months, it's the older folks that are not wearing masks unless forced to do so, but yet the millennials that are wearing the masks like they are a new accessory. Even my 90 year old in-laws do not wear masks, and one of which has a pacemaker (his 3rd).

Different places have different circumstances and attitudes -- people are going to do what they want to do until there are penalties and enforcement.  Our local physicians have been warning us that transmittal is not only through droplets but also through aerosolized particles that linger in the air longer and are more transmissible than the droplets.  Apparently the aerosol particles can be spread just by talking and singing not just by coughing and sneezing. 

There's been a tremendous number of cases here this month and the majority of cases can be traced to people not wearing masks and not social distancing.  The reason indoor venues have for the most part closed here again is for that reason.  If we don't do something about it now -- we will suffer more later. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

See, I'd be fine with that, mistakes happen. Not wearing a mask is a choice

I do find it enough to just shake my head when .....they care enough to wear a mask...then ignore the signs and the announcements they play over the loud speaker to follow the one way request.  😮😒

Edited by island lady

My guess is in the grand scheme of things, not following the one way aisles isn’t a big contributor to the pandemic. But it’s a good indicator people aren’t good about following rules, no matter how small. 

If cruises are to restart before the pandemic is gone, people are going to have to get a lot better about this stuff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

The clear facts in Florida are

- Too many people are getting sick

- Too many people are dying 

- The strain on hospitals and providers is too great

The reason why we aren’t cruising anytime soon out of Texas, California and Florida is the reason above in red. The cruise lines aren’t even thinking about dropping ropes until that stops happening.  The risk is not work it for them. 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think people these days believe what they want to believe. People said we would by cruising in May. 

M8

2021?😉

45 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

See, I'd be fine with that, mistakes happen. Not wearing a mask is a choice

LOL, there is a different type of mask to prevent that from happening.😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Are you hoping we fail? I’m not. I am concerned as the boss rounds three hospitals and has been consulted on COVID19 patients. My son is an ICU RN in the States largest hospital.

I really hope you don't think that I want anyone to fail. Of course I don't. That suggestion stings. What I'm getting tired of is all the happy talk and trying to dismiss the numbers as being fake or spinning things in a positive manner. The virus doesn't care what we believe. It's really hard to look at 15,000+ new cases in one day and think that everything is even close be being under control. It's not and we all need to get serious about it. I don't actually care how many ICU beds are available or occupied, and neither did Bahamas Paradise when they decided to delay another month. I don't want anyone in the hospital at all and the way to get there is to mask up, distance, and be smart about this, but not to think that the testing is unreliable or that we are OK because there is plenty of hospital capacity. My $0.02 FWIW which probably ain't much these days.

• Like 9

I don't understand why Florida did not learn anything from the pandemic we in the Northeast experienced in March.  NYC was the hot spot and things were crazy.  We were wearing masks in RI by March 20th, business shut down and social distancing.  My work remained open because we are an essential business.  We have recovered wonderfully, but are still guarded.  We are still required to wear masks in public and keep social distancing.  Indoor dining at 50%.  At our high point we had 25 to 30 people a day dying.  Most days now is 1.  Working together to keep eachother safe.  Our governor follows the CDC and Science.

If Florida doesn't get its act together, we will not be cruising anytime soon.  We always fly there for our cruises, or do Disney.  We won't be doing any for a long time at this rate (and yes, I know Disney is open, but I wouldn't go there now either). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I wonder if these Florida residents going to their Canadian cottage, who broke Canadian quarantine laws, come from the Villages? 🤷‍♂️

The article will work for all.

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/two-floridians-fined-for-violating-the-quarantine-act-in-northeastern-ontario-1.5023603

I didn't realize that people were allowed to enter from the U.S. at all. Did they enter under an exception? Hawaii has some exceptions too but they still technically require the 14-day quarantine.

31 minutes ago, elaineb said:

I don't understand why Florida did not learn anything from the pandemic we in the Northeast experienced in March.  NYC was the hot spot and things were crazy.  We were wearing masks in RI by March 20th, business shut down and social distancing.  My work remained open because we are an essential business.  We have recovered wonderfully, but are still guarded.  We are still required to wear masks in public and keep social distancing.  Indoor dining at 50%.  At our high point we had 25 to 30 people a day dying.  Most days now is 1.  Working together to keep eachother safe.  Our governor follows the CDC and Science.

If Florida doesn't get its act together, we will not be cruising anytime soon.  We always fly there for our cruises, or do Disney.  We won't be doing any for a long time at this rate (and yes, I know Disney is open, but I wouldn't go there now either). 

We were wearing masks in RI by March 20th, business shut down and social distancing.

On March 20th Rhode Island had 1 covid death. Today it is 985. Apparently the masks failed big time, social distancing a disaster, and shutting down the businesses failed also. But at least everyone worked together.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I didn't realize that people were allowed to enter from the U.S. at all. Did they enter under an exception? Hawaii has some exceptions too but they still technically require the 14-day quarantine.

Just goes to show how everything is clear as mud.  And it changes day to day, state by state and depends on what country you are in.  I would have to believe cruising will not start until there is enough consensus to all move in the same direction with regard to this virus

7 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Carnival has now said 2022 to get back to a full schedule.  Meaning some stuff they are selling for 2021  won't sail.  Will be the same for all the major lines.  I can't imagine sending a cruise line any money for quite some time.  But they like the loans from people willing to do it.

I wonder what will happen as those 125% FCC expiration dates start to come around?

40 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Just goes to show how everything is clear as mud.  And it changes day to day, state by state and depends on what country you are in.  I would have to believe cruising will not start until there is enough consensus to all move in the same direction with regard to this virus

The article is light on details.  Reporter should have found out if they have dual citizenship, that's the only way they should be able to cross to their cottage (or so we're told for border crossing for non-essential reasons).  

Rules are clear and easy: isolate for 2 weeks so you don't unknowingly spread the virus.  It doesn't mean stop to get food, haircut, check out the tourist trap.  Get a neighbor to buy food and stay put.  Don't do it, risk an outbreak and fines.  

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

The article is light on details.  Reporter should have found out if they have dual citizenship, that's the only way they should be able to cross to their cottage (or so we're told for border crossing for non-essential reasons).  

Rules are clear and easy: isolate for 2 weeks so you don't unknowingly spread the virus.  It doesn't mean stop to get food, haircut, check out the tourist trap.  Get a neighbor to buy food and stay put.  Don't do it, risk an outbreak and fines.  

They had Canadian citizenship. They moved to Florida but maintained a home in Canada.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Unless they are essential they are not supposed to enter Canada. There are some exceptional circumstances though, to which some are abusing. 

The main one is driving through to Alaska.  Americans are supposed to go directly to Alaska as quickly as possible, with as few stops as possible.  Be masked while in public, pay for gas at the pump, avoid unnecessary contact with other people etc... There are further rules, I just threw these these from my head.  Unfortunately some of these folks have been ticketed with fines in Banff National Park and parts of British Colombia which are far off the direct route. 

In this story the individuals were going to their season residence which they own, but broke the rules and were not quarantining.  When the officials followed up with a health check the Floridians were not there. 

If people just show at border with no justification and try to enter they will be turned back. Unfortunately in this story these two seniors were not following the rules to the country they were visiting and have racked up some fines, while endangering other with their laissez faire attitudes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

So, if they have dual citizenship are they really Canadians living in FL?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

I really hope you don't think that I want anyone to fail. Of course I don't. That suggestion stings. What I'm getting tired of is all the happy talk and trying to dismiss the numbers as being fake or spinning things in a positive manner. The virus doesn't care what we believe. It's really hard to look at 15,000+ new cases in one day and think that everything is even close be being under control. It's not and we all need to get serious about it. I don't actually care how many ICU beds are available or occupied, and neither did Bahamas Paradise when they decided to delay another month. I don't want anyone in the hospital at all and the way to get there is to mask up, distance, and be smart about this, but not to think that the testing is unreliable or that we are OK because there is plenty of hospital capacity. My $0.02 FWIW which probably ain't much these days.

COVID19 is no hoax. I’m not one of those. Two people very close to me are in Healthcare. It’s like certain agendas are hoping for failure. I hope we don’t fail and the economy rebounds. We wear our masks. However, the media reporting is very one sided, in my opinion. Like this morning’s 48 hospitals have no ICU beds. Very misleading. 

M8

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

COVID19 is no hoax. I’m not one of those. Two people very close to me are in Healthcare. It’s like certain agendas are hoping for failure. I hope we don’t fail and the economy rebounds. We wear our masks. However, the media reporting is very one sided, in my opinion. Like this morning’s 48 hospitals have no ICU beds. Very misleading. 

M8

Very well said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

We were wearing masks in RI by March 20th, business shut down and social distancing.

On March 20th Rhode Island had 1 covid death. Today it is 985. Apparently the masks failed big time, social distancing a disaster, and shutting down the businesses failed also. But at least everyone worked together.

794 of those cases were for people over 70, and sadly most in nursing homes.  That is not a statistic anyone should be proud of and shows room for improvement there.  However, our governor believes in Science and watches the numbers as she reopens our state in stage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-07-13/rhode-island-s-gina-raimondo-leads-the-way-on-covid-19-response