1 Night Dead Head Repo Cruise

When I saw this in the RC app, it made me think that someone at Royal was a fan of the Grateful Dead. 😆 

This is what they renamed the canceled 4 night Galveston cruise that was supposed to occur next year on the Allure. 

D710D541-DCB3-4B4D-9F95-ECE723BF0EC6.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WeighAnchor said:

When I saw this in the RC app, it made me think that someone at Royal was a fan of the Grateful Dead. 😆 

This is what they renamed the canceled 4 night Galveston cruise that was supposed to occur next year on the Allure. 

D710D541-DCB3-4B4D-9F95-ECE723BF0EC6.jpeg

Great time to learn all the Nautical Lingo

https://cruising.org/travel-agent-center/professional-development-training/knowledge-center/nautical-lingo

Another keyword to learn Royal caribbean is "Space Ratio"

Edited by Jimbo

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

https://cruising.org/travel-agent-center/professional-development-training/knowledge-center/nautical-lingo

I believe the term was used in aviation before it was used in cruising and it refers to a crew member flying as a passenger, or the entire plane flying without passengers, in order to get to another airport for duty (as opposed to a crew member flying for vacation. To be a deadhead is to be on duty and generating no revenue for the boss). As for the cruise in question if they are selling cabins to passengers it's not a proper deadhead, it's simply a re-positioning cruise. 

Edited by sparks1093

As the spouse of an airline employee, I've been on flights that are being ferried from one airport to another w/o pax.  Except me, that is.  At times, flights are no-go due to a mechanical (for example, cabin communication systems goes out) and cannot be flown with pax.  However, craft needs to go to a maintenance base so are ferried by crew.  

4 hours ago, stevea36 said:

Nov 7 is a 1 night, non -revenue (no passenger) sailing from Port Canaveral to Port Everglades.   Starting on November 8th, Allure will be doing a 5 night sailing.    

Does that mean I am booked on a cruise with no passengers? Weee... that would be fun, if it ever happened. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by WeighAnchor

Every cruise whether it is for paying passengers or a non revenue repositioning cruise would be assigned a voyage number and itinerary.

Under normal circumstances paying guests would never see these non revenue trips.  Because of how the cruise planner populates certain fields of data people who were booked on a sailing that now has turned into a non revenue cruise are seeing that data that should have been viewed internally only.  Thank the IT department. 

On 6/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, Jimbo said:

deadhead is not just a nautical term.  I believe it is used in the trucking business, a freight truck is returning to its "home" base empty after delivering a load. 

Edited added...

Should have read some of the replies. Yes I have heard it in regards to passenger airplanes.

Edited by gatour

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was in high-school and saw them in 1992. 

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was in high-school and saw them in 1992. 
Classic Rock music will never die.Mick Jagger is 77,Ringo Starr is 80 and they still sell out at concerts.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Can someone please kindly tell us exactly what a "dead head" sailing really mean? Thanks.

Used in the shipping, airline, and trucking industries to indicate a trip without cargo or passengers.  Alternatively an employee who is being transported on a scheduled trip for no charge.