Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?

jonthomas

7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I listen to scientists not politician's 

Well, while some scientists would like to be the new dictators (At least in Germany we have a few notorious ones.), politicans have to take the decisions they are in office for. 

Real science does not claim to know the one and only truth for ever but is able to question itself. Do you remember the days, just a few weeks ago, when the WHO saw no reason for everybody to wear masks? 

Scientists alround the world experiment with vaccines and with treatments, they collect data and test hypothesises. 

Scientist get even contradictory results, which require further analyses and research. they even sometimes come up with different conclusions based on the same facts. We all learn more over time, sometimes being able to falsify or verify previous ideas.

A good politician, IMHO, takes as good as possible facts and advice from (hopefully more than one) scientists, and takes into account as good as possible all areas and questions impacted not just one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Clearly a mistake- perhaps he was required to say that!!  Things keep getting worse now!  We are back to square one!

So very sad for our US neighbours.  It's going to be a long time before we see any cruises start up. Hope they don't go bankrupt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Scientist Fauci said in late January that the US had nothing to worry about and didn't need to change anything in regards to daily life.

Going back to January is really more than a bit unfair.

• Like 4

On 7/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, pumpkin 11 said:

Well that is just your opinion. The curve has flattened deaths are 80% down hospitals are not overwhelmed... as far as i'm concerned our work here is done! 

EbXf4xWXYAAHaYq.jpg.e9979081b6e1c1d867c36c620d3050a6.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, journeymore said:

My original hope was September. I have a cruise booked for December 26th and looking at what’s going on here in Texas my bet is April 1, 2021 for $20. 

We had a cruise booked for January 2021, but IMHO - odds are on your bet.   We moved Jan 2021 (Caribbean out of Tampa, Florida = BIG NOPE!) to April 2021 (Asia = more likely).

Edited by hvbaskey

With each release of case counts daily, the restart date gets pushed further and further out.

11,458 in Florida today, new record and up considerably (again).

Hospitalizations still on the rise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

So very sad for our US neighbours.  It's going to be a long time before we see any cruises start up. Hope they don't go bankrupt. 

I’m keeping the hope alive for the winter / spring 2021 season of Asia cruises, continuing into Europe.  I’ve counted out the Caribbean with embarkation in US ports.

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

With each release of case counts daily, the restart date gets pushed further and further out.

11,458 in Florida today, new record and up considerably (again).

Hospitalizations still on the rise. 

Dreadful figures.

1 hour ago, journeymore said:

My original hope was September. I have a cruise booked for December 26th and looking at what’s going on here in Texas my bet is April 1, 2021 for $20. 

Good one! 😎

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I live in Ontario Canada and went to a shopping mall the other day, was amazed that just about everyone was social distancing and had a mask on ...

Even the young people. GO CANADA!

Good for Canadians. I went to the liquor store and it was busy because of our holiday weekend. There were seven people checking out ahead of me and not one was wearing a mask, three behind me were not as well. So including me, out of eleven people I was the only one wearing a mask. Frustrating.

5 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Scientist Fauci said in late January that the US had nothing to worry about and didn't need to change anything in regards to daily life.

And your point is that in a fluid situation (at it's infancy) we should cherry pick comments to prove what point?

You want good information from an expert? Try this weekly podcast. And guess what? The information changes as the virus changes. Lets not forget, it is not just infected people and deaths we need to be concerned about, there are people who are dealing with this dreadful disease for months. And the majority of those are in there 20's. The very same group that is currently disregarding any rules/suggestions.

Oh and speaking of a fluid situation, we are now seeing more reports of children being hit by multisystem inflammation syndrome. No one was speaking of it in January.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I find it hard to believe that there is anyone in the world who honestly thinks that they are never allowed to change their mind when new information comes along.  Doubting everything said by scientists because one person's stance has changed is an intellectually dishonest argument.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I live in Ontario Canada and went to a shopping mall the other day, was amazed that just about everyone was social distancing and had a mask on ...

Even the young people. GO CANADA!

Canadians get it.  So do Europeans, Asians and pretty much every other nation, EXCEPT AMERICANS.

i wish we weren’t so egotistical and arrogant to not get what every other nation  has figured out.

Very sad and ashamed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Canadians get it.  So do Europeans, Asians and pretty much every other nation, EXCEPT AMERICANS.

i wish we weren’t so egotistical and arrogant to not get what every other nation  has figured out.

Very sad and ashamed

I think you are overreacting. 

18 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’m not shocked that the country is going through a bad second wave with that kind of attitude 

Unfortunately, the USA is still in the first wave (it never ended, just got worse).  In order to have a second wave, you must first get through the first.    

https://theconversation.com/the-us-isnt-in-a-second-wave-of-coronavirus-the-first-wave-never-ended-141032

1056662786_ScreenShot2020-07-05at6_28_27AM.png.ea6a8aec67a2c16b1d4ed180db0999ec.png

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Unfortunately, the USA is still in the first wave (it never ended, just got worse).  In order to have a second wave, you must first get through the first.    

https://theconversation.com/the-us-isnt-in-a-second-wave-of-coronavirus-the-first-wave-never-ended-141032

1056662786_ScreenShot2020-07-05at6_28_27AM.png.ea6a8aec67a2c16b1d4ed180db0999ec.png

And yet amazingly I see a quote this morning which states that “the US is on it’s way to a tremendous victory over Covid 19“. Defies belief.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, yorky said:

And yet amazingly I see a quote this morning which states that “the US is on it’s way to a tremendous victory over Covid 19“. Defies belief.

Yup ... 🙄   and then believers of that statement think the crisis is over and cannot understand why walls (travel restrictions / barriers) have been put up to countries who cannot control the first wave.

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I ashamed that is people’s reaction .  I’m not shocked that the country is going through a bad second wave with that kind of attitude 

You get ashamed pretty easily.   How are you feeling right now?  Better, I hope?

It's a shame that a thread initially posted for people to hazard a guess when cruising will start up again has turned into such a political mess, primarily aimed at trashing the US and it's response (rightly or wrongly - this is not a statement pro or con as regards to that).  

I wish the hosts would just remove this thread entirely.  These boards are supposed to be about people talking about cruising; not giving their armchair quarterback opinions about political matters.   Yes, there is a relationship to how countries are doing and when we can cruise again.  But these boards are not the place to trash country's responses.  There is so much hate and animosity on this thread it is very disturbing.    Those of us in countries such as the US who are currently really struggling with the virus (for whatever reason) do really not need to be kicked while we're down by our fellow cruisers.  We are suffering enough thank you.  We are not the politicians; we are not the ones making these decisions.  A little kindness would go a long way.  Consider it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

It's a shame that a thread initially posted for people to hazard a guess when cruising will start up again has turned into such a political mess, primarily aimed at trashing the US and it's response (rightly or wrongly - this is not a statement pro or con as regards to that).  

I wish the hosts would just remove this thread entirely.  These boards are supposed to be about people talking about cruising; not giving their armchair quarterback opinions about political matters.   Yes, there is a relationship to how countries are doing and when we can cruise again.  But these boards are not the place to trash country's responses.  There is so much hate and animosity on this thread it is very disturbing.    Those of us in countries such as the US who are currently really struggling with the virus (for whatever reason) do really not need to be kicked while we're down by our fellow cruisers.  We are suffering enough thank you.  We are not the politicians; we are not the ones making these decisions.  A little kindness would go a long way.  Consider it.

It’s a difficult one when the thread is about start up dates given that’s very much dependant on Covid 19 being reduced or eliminated and that’s down to partly how people behave and how those running countries react to the crisis along with the message they send out to the population. I can’t really see how you can have any discussion on start up dates without  including the main factors involved. You could of  course restrict the discussion to start up dates from certain countries but the US cruise industry is so huge it’s difficult to see it just being ignored. We have had discussions about various countries and how they are reacting one being the UK decision to force individuals to isolate for 14 days should they enter the UK which obviously would impact anyone flying into our country to cruise from Southampton. Through all of this everything is linked including the responsibility of individuals to protect themselves and others, England has just opened up pubs again and last night crowds gathered with no social distancing and hardly anyone wearing masks, chance of a second spike in London ? I would say pretty high. We are all making decisions in truth.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

We are not the politicians; we are not the ones making these decisions.

Politicians are playing to their base, though.  So it's not true to say we the people have no voice in the matter.  Individual policy decisions?  Maybe.  If everyone was unified in clamoring for action, it would happen.  It already is happening to a great degree, since top leaders of the one holdout side have finally decided in the last few days to buck their leader and to talk up mask usage and are starting to wear masks in public.

This of course all does have a direct link to when cruising can resume in the U.S., so it is very relevant.  Florida's response has ensured that their tourist industry will suffer longer than was necessary, for example.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 8

Very difficult indeed to make any kind of  prediction. Just as I begin to have some hope, it is dashed again, when I see covid on the rise. Without US getting a grip on this, we will not be sailing in the near or far future. 

• Like 4