Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?

jonthomas

10 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

back to the OP's original question, I think in late Fall, very limited in Europe, possibly NZ with no-one from the US allowed.     For U.S. pax, maybe next February

My SWAG is that your timetable may be pretty accurate.  Although I think any OZ/NZ cruising will be in the bubble only, no pax from any other country, not just US.

• Like 1

We just hit over 50,000 new cases in one day.

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Unless people here in the U.S. start wearing a mask and social distancing, I'm going with never, at least for the U.S. and it's citizens. By they come up with a cure, or vaccine, the cruise lines will be bankrupt and out of business

The ignorance/arrogance is much worse than I thought.

off my own topic but want to ask ...

no crowds, social distancing, but protests are allowed...can anyone explain that one to me...

I think the sharp rise in covid is not from beach goers, it is from protesters, the age 20 to 29 seems to confirm that...

anyone agree with that, or enlighten me why you think I am wrong..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

no crowds, social distancing, but protests are allowed...can anyone explain that one to me...

I think the sharp rise in covid is not from beach goers, it is from protesters, the age 20 to 29 seems to confirm that...

Peaceful protests are a constitutionally protected right, and it would require extraordinary measures to disrupt that right.  Eating out at restaurants, going to bars, and getting your hair cut is not a constitutionally protected right.

It's not that it's peaceful protests are hunky dory, it's that the relative risk (outdoors spread if everyone wears masks may turn out to be relatively low), was not worth violating this constitutional right.

The albeit limited data that has come out has shown that protests seem to be linked with a low chance of infection.  It is true that young people are driving up the current numbers, but it does not seem to be from protests.  Again, correlation does not equal causation.  It's like saying: young people are more likely to be infected. Young people are the ones listening to Taylor Swift, therefore listening to taylor swift causes COVID infections.

It seems more that young people are 1) essential workers that cannot work from home and need money to live, 2) engaging in relatively higher risk behaviors since their personal risk is low (bars, restaurants), and 3) having get togethers in large numbers in private places.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

We just hit over 50,000 new cases in one day.

The ignorance/arrogance is much worse than I thought.

I am sorry, I should have added that the over 50,000 cases is in the USA.

43 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

*I live where the protests started*

They are able to trace backwards and the majority of the 20-29 year olds getting Covid have been partying. That is bars and house parties. They were very worried about the rise in cases because of the protests, but are now surprised it didn't take off. The belief is that the protests were outside and that played a major factor. People going to bars are not even trying to social distance, let alone wear a mask.

Edited by Mike981
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

There is conjecture, which everyone is entitled to.

And there are research and facts.  Which should carry much more weight than conjecture.  Since you asked, there a number of studies showing the error of what you assert.

This is one of the most extensive:

Research Determines Protests Did Not Cause Spike In Coronavirus Cases

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ktuluorion said:

Can we roll that back a week, i'm booked for 11/27 🙂  Still holding out hope!

I don't know.  What are you offering?  I'm partial to Veuve Clicquot.  It's not expensive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jonthomas said:

That is a good hint.

Sorry, don't agree with you.

In the article Celestyal states that their core cruising season is from March to December. Due to Covid 19 they weren’t able to sail, so they made the decision to postpone cruising until the start of their next season which is in Spring 2021.

Major cruise lines sail year round around the world. Celestyal operates 2 ships in the Eastern Mediterranean. Personally, I don’t see what influence, if any, Celestyal's decision would have on the much larger cruise lines. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Sorry, don't agree with you.

In the article Celestyal states that their core cruising season is from March to December. Due to Covid 19 they weren’t able to sail, so they made the decision to postpone cruising until the start of their next season which is in Spring 2021.

Major cruise lines sail year round around the world. Celestyal operates 2 ships in the Eastern Mediterranean. Personally, I don’t see what influence, if any, Celestyal's decision would have on the much larger cruise lines. 

Good analysis. No comparison at all.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:46 AM, ECCruise said:

My SWAG is that your timetable may be pretty accurate.  Although I think any OZ/NZ cruising will be in the bubble only, no pax from any other country, not just US.

What bubble country would the workers on the ships come from?

1 minute ago, UnorigionalName said:

What bubble country would the workers on the ships come from?

Pacific Islands, perhaps, which are also being considered for the bubble process.

Or, ships could be crewed as currently but crew not permitted to disembark (which may not be a desirable contract for many).

Or, NZ and OZ could make special provisions for crew.  But, like everything, who knows how it would shake out, if at all.

First would be P&O Australia, Carnival Australia, Sea Princess and Sun Princess, all Oz based.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:51 PM, grandgeezer said:

Unless people here in the U.S. start wearing a mask and social distancing, I'm going with never, at least for the U.S. and it's citizens. By they come up with a cure, or vaccine, the cruise lines will be bankrupt and out of business

Agreed.  Until people make mask wearing a science and right vs wrong issue, and not be about politics, we’re stuck with this Covid thing for a few years at the least.

I’m so disappointed in the people of this nation and very proud for foreign nations that get it (about mask wearing)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Agreed.  Until people make mask wearing a science and right vs wrong issue, and not be about politics, we’re stuck with this Covid thing for a few years at the least.

I’m so disappointed in the people of this nation and very proud for foreign nations that get it (about mask wearing)

Sure you can show me people here who don't wear masks.  I bet I could show you some that don't wear masks over there.  Nobody's perfect. 

Masks are still mandatory here- I once forgot to don my mask before entering a bank- the lady behind the counter was rather rude when reminding me to get my mask- otherwise i have to leave the premesiss at once.

Who would have thought it- forced to wear a mask in bank... ! LOL!

My daily sorce of the newest cases:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It can give a good hint were cruises may start first...!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Masks are still mandatory here- I once forgot to don my mask before entering a bank- the lady behind the counter was rather rude when reminding me to get my mask- otherwise i have to leave the premesiss at once.

Who would have thought it- forced to wear a mask in bank... ! LOL!

My daily sorce of the newest cases:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It can give a good hint were cruises may start first...!

I live in Ontario Canada and went to a shopping mall the other day, was amazed that just about everyone was social distancing and had a mask on ...

Even the young people. GO CANADA!

• Like 6

On 7/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, jonthomas said:

I think social distancing and wearing masks most important.  I listen to scientists not politician's 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I think social distancing and wearing masks most important.  I listen to scientists not politician's 

Scientist Fauci said in late January that the US had nothing to worry about and didn't need to change anything in regards to daily life.

16 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Scientist Fauci said in late January that the US had nothing to worry about and didn't need to change anything in regards to daily life.

Clearly a mistake- perhaps he was required to say that!!  Things keep getting worse now!  We are back to square one!