EU Canada yes, USA no.

Oville

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

It's the EU's loss....

No - it's their gain. I completely agree with the decision and support it. They have successfully flattened their curve and do not want to see the spike that the US is seeing right now. Does that not make sense to you? Sincerely asking.

• Like 29

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- No need to send anyone-- We have TV in Canada now and very soon we are getting color television up here.

Enjoy your day at the beach .

Yeah, but do y'all have flush toilets yet?  Or that internet hickey?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Wine-O said:

It's the EU's loss.  Their tourist industry will take years to recover.  Meanwhile, back here in the U.S., you can't sustain an economy if you stay in lock down.  Deal with it, like we dealt with the flu that killed thousands.  Take the normal precautions you did with the flu outbreak.  Go ahead and flame, but you're not going to change my mine.  🍷

American tourists add little to the overall EU tourist industry.  The vast majority comes from internal EU travel, north to south.

Wear your mask and it will help reduce the rapid spiking of the virus in the US.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Asking for a friend.

Last week I traded in my two tin cans connected by a length of waxed string for something called a cell.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Last week I traded in my two tin cans connected by a length of waxed string for something called a cell.

No!

Don't even tell me you got one of the very newest models.  Heard they are incredible.

old cell phones | Any Old Cell Phone Collectors Out There? | Old ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I doubt anyone can change your mine, oops, mind .

It's easy to recognize the number of folks with the same view , disregarding advice from " professionals'' and following the  " I got my rights " activists.  There appears to be a few " I got my rights " individuals on CC as well.

The wearing of a mask for Americans is both a duty and responsibility.  It benefits the whole country, reduces exposure for all to the virus, and shows patriotism. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The wearing of a mask for Americans is both a duty and responsibility.  It benefits the whole country, reduces exposure for all to the virus, and shows patriotism

We can all be healthy and patriotic!

image.png.aaedf4af888f68aabe42b740c8c1db97.png

image.thumb.png.81a256859eb339831c43cb448d46424f.png

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I wonder why this isn't dependent on reciprocity.

EU included Canada on the clearance list yet Canada apparently doesn't welcome EU citizens, let alone without quarantine.

This is based on the number of cases. It is not political

this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

After taking a vacation in mid-2016 that was nearly ruined by martini fueled political discussion that you literally could not get away from...I think not cruising may be a nice reprieve from endless discussion from the endless amount of infectious disease experts, statistical engineers and political aficionado's 🙂

I read without emotion, staying away from non-credible sources and people who like to engage in "stupid."  It has been working so well, that my DH and I have learned to just smile and walk away!  Not allowing anything or anyone to control you is a fantastic way to deal with everything...my next cruise is in the middle of 2021/Galapagos, with b2b's in September of 2021.  I am anxiously looking forward to both!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Canada has done a better job of managing the pandemic and our cases and number of deaths are much lower than the US. You can Google it - you'll understand the reason for this decision by the EU.

The USA has 10 times the population of Canada, in fact California has a larger population than Canada.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

The USA has 10 times the population of Canada, in fact California has a larger population than Canada.

That’s  why the graph above is adjusted per million. So no excuse.  

And if the world largest city Tokyo with the population of Canada can do it.....

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

And if the world largest city Tokyo with the population of Canada can do it.....

Beat me to it. :classic_smile:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

For the record, I believe Tokyo has 1/3 the population of Canada.

I understand that the graph is adjusted per million.  But I do think there is something to be said for the fact that controlling 10 times more people (than Canada) does present additional challenges.  For the good and the bad, the fact that the US places a considerable amount of value in the freedom of the individual states also makes it more complicated.  In this case, it's a shame we are all considered as a whole, although I understand it needs to be that way.  Many states, like mine, have actually done a very good job of controlling our cases.  Overall, we've followed the health experts guidelines around re-opening and most people do a good job of following the rules about things like face masks and social distancing and so on.  But as a country?  Not good enough.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Asking for a friend.

I'm told by a poster that you meant internet 'hockey'...yes?  BTW, if hockey, your friend should be told no one has it right now unless it's re-runs.

16 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I understand that the graph is adjusted per million.  But I do think there is something to be said for the fact that controlling 10 times more people (than Canada) does present additional challenges.  For the good and the bad, the fact that the US places a considerable amount of value in the freedom of the individual states also makes it more complicated.  In this case, it's a shame we are all considered as a whole, although I understand it needs to be that way.  Many states, like mine, have actually done a very good job of controlling our cases.  Overall, we've followed the health experts guidelines around re-opening and most people do a good job of following the rules about things like face masks and social distancing and so on.  But as a country?  Not good enough.

Google is your friend, Tokyo actually has more people than Canada! 

J37 million people live in the massive Tokyo-Yokohoma conglomeration. That’s a quarter of the population of Japan or 0.52% of all the world’s 7.1 billion people. It makes it larger than Canada, over a hundred over countries and in fact the majority of countries in the world.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't buy that line of reasoning.  Look at like, the vast majority of the rest of the world other than the "special" countries (US, Russia, Brazil, Sweden)

Dozens upon dozens of countries, ranging from east asia, south east asia, western europe, asutralia/NZ, with vastly different cultures and different governments, and they all managed to actually do something.

like, i don't think the fact there are 50 states is the problem, it's that all 50 states have basically the same people.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I don't buy that line of reasoning.  Look at like, the vast majority of the rest of the world other than the "special" countries (US, Russia, Brazil, Sweden)

Dozens upon dozens of countries, ranging from east asia, south east asia, western europe, asutralia/NZ, with vastly different cultures and different governments, and they all managed to actually do something.

That is what is so horribly frustrating.

When I look at a country like Vietnam, which shares a 1000 mile border with China and has had a total of 355 cases and 0 deaths, I wonder how much better the US would have done with a proactive and coordinated response.  

And we still are arguing on the first of July whether or not a face covering is an affront to your constitutional rights.

And for those of us who love and want to cruise, seeing that wish pushed further and further into a very uncertain future.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

For the good and the bad, the fact that the US places a considerable amount of value in the freedom of the individual states also makes it more complicated.  In this case, it's a shame we are all considered as a whole, although I understand it needs to be that way.  Many states, like mine, have actually done a very good job of controlling our cases.  Overall, we've followed the health experts guidelines around re-opening and most people do a good job of following the rules about things like face masks and social distancing and so on.  But as a country?  Not good enough.

I really don't think that your individual states value their freedom any more than individual provinces do here in Canada. There are constant differences of opinion between the individual provinces, between the individual provinces and the federal government, and between the provinces collectively and the federal government. There are very distinct federal and provincial powers. I think that the major difference between the US and Canada over the past number of months was the ability of our leadership and governments at all levels to pull together, no egos detracting from the process. While different provinces took varying approaches, there was a collective agreement in what needed to be achieved, even if they took sometimes different approaches to get there.

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I understand that the graph is adjusted per million.  But I do think there is something to be said for the fact that controlling 10 times more people (than Canada) does present additional challenges. 

Maybe that's the key: Canadian authorities have led their citizens through the pandemic to date, not attempted to control them. Just a difference in mindset perhaps, but a telling one.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

j -  LOL, I cannot imagine the reason to leave the discussion!

You mean to say that they are not 'licensed' in their respective fields to discuss???

Oh yes, we have a few of those types here on CC, too...

bon voyage

I was on a cruise during the 2016 U.S. election - the captain made an announcement during his departure talk from port that day and then came to the theater shows telling all guests that he had instructed all crew to NOT discuss politics at all. He said he did it to make everyone’s vacation more enjoyable. He asked guests to try and consider that others may not want to hear about it and would like to “get away” from it for a while. In general people did stay quiet about it - both sides - and it did make things better.

I hope maybe once cruises start again that it isn’t all coronavirus and country bashing and politics. I would like to be able to relax and even reading the tension on these boards for the last few months has me concerned that it cannot stay unheated.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

@Fouremcocould you tell me where you are monitoring that chart.   It's great.   I think you might have posted a link somewhere, but I can't recall. Would appreciate it,  thank you.

I downloaded the chart from one of my morning media feeds, but I don't recall which one. The chart was based on the extensive information held by the John Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu  The website is well worth visiting.

This chart was taken directly from the website. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases It shows the daily number of new cases for the 10 most affected countries, based on the reported number of deaths by COVID-19 per 100,000 population and having more than 1 million inhabitants. The information was update today, July 2:1762245538_ScreenShot2020-07-02at8_30_19AM.thumb.png.97303da137270c177a6db4309ea6f1e8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure when the border will open without quarantine. I think we are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place almost literally. For the safety of the citizens on both sides of the border we must keep our normally open border with the US closed. Unfortunately even with the best efforts of the many millions of Americans that have taken this seriously there are also millions who do not. So it become a very hot political potato if we would open our border to the EU yet keep it closed for non essential (tourist) travel from our closest neighbour, even though we still maintain essential trade.

So do we open our border to the EU and the other nations on the "list" but remain closed to the US? Imagine the ensuing name calling if we did

Since you are both independent sister countries under the Queen, how is the border situation with the UK which now does not fall under the EU?  Just wondering.  I have not seen anything about this.

Edited by TeeRick