Lido

jimbo5544

Hi

My thoughts, and possibly theirs as well.

Why do anything before there is an understanding that it is "needed", whether it is required by law, or more economical (cost cutting). The people who do get to make these decisions have to work with what they are given. 

Right now, things change day to day, week to week, nobody knows what will be "needed" when they actually start up again. Nobody knows when that will be either. Doing something that could possibly have to be undone a short time later, unless specifically required, would not make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 2

Arnold Donald has said they don't plan to get rid of buffets. There will probably be safety measures put in place, like crew serving items. They were already doing that aboard their ships right before the shutdown. On the Horizon in March, just about everything was served by the crew, to include soft-serve ice cream. The only things that weren't were the buffet salad bar and the condiments stations for Guy's & Blue Iguana. It wasn't bad at all, still very quick service. The ice cream lines got kinda long at mealtimes or when they only had one machine running at night. Granted, the Horizon has the newer style food stations as opposed to one long buffet line, but even for those, I don't think it'll be too bad.

To eliminate the buffets entirely would mean they'd have to perform a complete overhaul to a huge part of their food service. I don't think any of them want to do that.

• Like 3

Just as we had "bacon police" on Carnival, I would not doubt they will have crew serving passengers if/when the buffet is to continue.  I feel this would be a welcome change sanitation-wise, as I cannot tell you how grossed out I was at times seeing passengers cough/sneeze into their hand and then grab the tongs, or see a child reach into the food and take a choice piece that they wanted.  It would also help with portion control and wasted food.  So much food was wasted as people filled their plates and then just didn't eat what they took.  Smaller stations (such as they had on Sensation) spaced out will help also, instead of the giant conga lines that formed each meal.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 2

I think it was pretty obvious that the buffet would not go away. You can't have all those people going to a menu dining format.

I am fine with a non "cattle call" buffet (staff served). I enjoy eating but the buffet has always been my least favorite place to eat. Wife and I eat most breakfasts in the mdr, lunch is usually Guy's or the mexican place. I find myself eating the pizza more than buffet.

Besides, I am usually too full of booze to eat. 🙂

Crew serving the buffet food is the best of both worlds.  Passengers who like the buffet still get to choose from a wide assortment of items.  Passengers who are concerned about contaminated public utensils won't have to worry about it any more.  I hope that happens.  I like the buffet, but not so much the thought of dirty hands touching utensils and possibly food items that they decide not to put on their plates.  I always wash my hands before getting my food and after getting my food, but before eating.  This would save the time of a second hand washing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi Nic6318,

The understanding of what is needed does exist.

Covid-19 prevention requires:

1. No self-service.

2. No lines (social distancing).

RCI is able to stop self-service easily.

But what about the lines?

A cruise line executive calls the Windjammer "iconic". RCI cruisers often call it "a zoo".

What "is needed" is on the surface.

Whether cruise lines will decide to (will be allowed to) ignore what is needed - this is a different story.

Happy cruising!

Hi

That is the understanding today. There are no cruises today. You can say anything you want today. Tomorrow it will be different. 

If you think someone really knows what will be needed in October you are dreaming. Over these last few months, haven't you noticed the most common response or non response on topics revolving about Covid19 are that "we don't know yet". Planning today for an unknown future is likely a waste of time. You might get lucky, but it is very similar to shooting at a moving target that is not going in a straight line. 

The only sure way of getting there from here is by first getting the "problem" under control. Then you can make plans that actually make sense. All I was saying in my first post was that until cruises can start, nothing "needs" to be done. If cruising can't start again, nothing needs to be done. So, these financially strapped companies wouldn't be looking at doing anything until they need to, because they might have to undo it tomorrow, or worst case it will never have to be done. 

• Like 1

My preference is the MDR, but there are times when the Lido is handy and the only reasonable option.  None of the ships with MDRs and a Lido are set up for all passengers to eat in one or the other.  It's based on passengers using a combo of both, along with room service, Guy's, pizza place, etc.

To me the worst experience in the Lido is lunch on embarkation day.  😒

My strategy now is to stay at the hotel until check-out time, board the ship, walk around the ship to acquaint myself with the deck plan and layout,  and then after it's announced cabins are available, head to the Lido.  Tables open up once people can get to their cabins.  I'll grab a salad 🥗 and then head outside to the grill for a burger 🍔.  

Surprised there were no more illness with the old LIDO concept. I've seen cruisers licking their fingers, picking up the communal serving spoons and keep on truckin down the Lido Line. And social distancing? We've been on a few cruises where a lady (?), insisted on not waiting in line, excused herself to get a tray, and proceeded down the line saying "excuse me" as she pushed into the line. Whew........some people.

They just need to do it like Luby's with no self-service, with a sneeze guard between people and the food, and have people stand 3 feet apart.  1 meter (3 feet) reduces spread by 82 percent.  Have people wear masks in line. Masks reduce spread by 85 percent. (These stats are per metanalysis of 172 study published in recent Lancet medical journal.) People can take masks off when they sit down to eat on the Lido.  Space tables further apart.  The only time I have ever been on a Carnival cruise where this would not have been possible was on the Vista on a Christmas sailing that was literally sailing at capacity...nearly 5k people. I even sailed another time on Vista and this would not have been an issue, but we weren't sailing at capacity. I feel like if they sailed even 10 percent below capacity it would enable people to socially distance. In the theatre, ask people to leave a seat between them and anyone not in their party.  This could even be accomplished by requiring reservations and having reserved seats.  I would think that sailing below capacity would have to be better than not sailing at all. Frankly, I think that we will have a vaccine if not by next summer then definitely by 2022. Thankfully, unlike many other vaccines that took decades to develop, they weren't completely starting from scratch because research for vaccines for other viruses has proved helpful. 

• Like 1

Guy's, Blue Iguana, Pizza, etc. are all also Lido. The lines for those can be long as it is.

If Carnival wants to get closer to this decade, they could add ordering of food to the Hub app. Put numbers on the properly distanced tables and a server could bring you your grub.

• Like 2

People seem to be putting a lot of faith in a vaccine that is unlikely to be 100% effective, and certain that not everyone will get one. If 75% effective and 1/3 of the people refuse to get one, that doesn't get us to herd immunity.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Guy's, Blue Iguana, Pizza, etc. are all also Lido. The lines for those can be long as it is.

If Carnival wants to get closer to this decade, they could add ordering of food to the Hub app. Put numbers on the properly distanced tables and a server could bring you your grub.

Not a bad idea... you can "browse" the food virtually and then have it delivered to the table.

I would hate to lose lido, as a food option, but certainly understand the need for adjustments in serving. 

I will have no problem observing the distancing, ie feet here, and behind the next person here etc.   I also have no problem being served my food at lido by staff.  I am not considering a cruise anytime soon, nor another type of vacation,  but I do hope some day to get back to enjoying travel, as i think it is sadly something that we are missing now very much.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

I swear, you guys must have been a riot to behold in 2012.

Excuse my ignorance, but what happened in 2012?  I don't get it.

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Along with this, Carnival would have to put time limits on sitting at tables.  There are people who park their butts and don't move all day.  Especially family groups.

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

People seem to be putting a lot of faith in a vaccine that is unlikely to be 100% effective, and certain that not everyone will get one. If 75% effective and 1/3 of the people refuse to get one, that doesn't get us to herd immunity.

No vaccine is 100%; got it.  Maybe refuse boarding to those who can't produce a vaccination certificate?