Refunds because of EU restrictions

Has anyone had experience with airlines and cruise lines refunding purchases because of the EU not allowing Americans to travel to their countries. If we can’t travel to an EU country how can they provide the service. Tomorrow I begin cancelling a land trip to Poland and a Transatlantic cruise from Italy.

29 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

Has anyone had experience with airlines and cruise lines refunding purchases because of the EU not allowing Americans to travel to their countries. If we can’t travel to an EU country how can they provide the service. Tomorrow I begin cancelling a land trip to Poland and a Transatlantic cruise from Italy.

I had United refund my airfare/miles to Sydney because AUS wouldn't let anyone in, and this November I have a flight booked to Rome with United.  I suspect if Italy won't let me in, United will cancel the flight and I would get a refund or airfare credit.  🍷

46 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

I suspect if Italy won't let me in, United will cancel the flight and I would get a refund or airfare credit.

I wouldn't bet on it.  There are plenty of flights flying from the US to the EU right now...they're just not carrying US citizens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising teacher said:

American Airlines has cut almost all of there international flights through to next summer.  See their statement here.  Thanks @WNcruiser for posting on another thread. I called American and was able to request a refund for my flights to Australia -- which clearly weren't going to happen anyway -- I've just been waiting for American to cancel.

• Like 1

What has been happening recently is that U.S.-based airlines have cancelled flights to some destinations in Europe but are maintaining some to partner hubs. So, if a UA flight to Italy is cancelled, UA can route passengers through Frankfurt (Lufthansa hub), Zurich (Swiss), etc.

However, that's for passengers eligible to enter the destination country, and for travelers from the U.S. and other countries not on an approved list only for specific purposes, such as returning home if there is no more direct way.

United is currently allowing changes or cancellations through July 31 for all bookings through the end of 2020, no questions asked, but mostly giving future flight credit or an electronic travel voucher. Refunds are more likely to be available if there is a substantial schedule change or no potential rerouting.

Edited by kochleffel

19 hours ago, cruising teacher said:

If the airline changes your flights by more than a couple of hours (perhaps due to cancelling some flights) then you should be able to cancel with no penalty regardless of the EU entrance problem.

18 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I wouldn't bet on it.  There are plenty of flights flying from the US to the EU right now...they're just not carrying US citizens.

Since we closed our borders to the EU a few months ago, who are they carrying back to the EU?  😕 🍷

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

If the airline changes your flights by more than a couple of hours (perhaps due to cancelling some flights) then you should be able to cancel with no penalty regardless of the EU entrance problem.

Depends on the airline.  In the US at least, I don't think there is a specific timeframe given -I think the wording says substantial change or some other vague wording.  It therefore can vary by airline.

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

Since we closed our borders to the EU a few months ago, who are they carrying back to the EU?  😕 🍷

Refer to Annex II for the answer:

pdf

5 hours ago, Wine-O said:

They are mainly cargo runs and very few fare paying passengers, a few like exchange students returning home.

2 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

They are mainly cargo runs and very few fare paying passengers, a few like exchange students returning home.

Pretty much this as above.

My understanding is that most airlines have been accommodating in allowing pax to change bookings, or take credit vouchers or get refunds. But this is being done on a rolling basis, primarily to help manage their cash flow, but also to prevent their customer service departments from becoming swamped. Each airline has its own policy but they are all similar.

One point worth noting for the OP though; if your particular flight is not cancelled, the airline are actually proving the service, it’s a case that you are not able to use it. I guess that’s why good travel insurance is necessary. I hope it all works out for you.

When is your trip? I wouldn't cancel the flights prematurely unless they are offering refunds or a voucher you would be able to use. While you may know you won't be taking the trip. I very much doubt any airline is going to fly you to a location where you would be denied entry, since they would then have to fly you back. I would expect the airlines to reach out to you shortly before the trip about cancellation/refund options. I believe their official stance is that they will re-visit this issue every two weeks so if you trip is more than two weeks away, I would continue holding out until it gets closer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

From EU Council:

In addition, essential travel should be allowed for the specific categories of travellers with an essential function or need referred to in Annex II.17 Member States may introduce additional safety measures for these travellers, especially when their trip originates in a high risk region.

The list of specific categories of travellers with an essential function or need referred to in Annex II may be reviewed by the Council, in close consultation with the Commission, depending on social and economic considerations as well as the overall assessment of the evolution of the epidemiological situation, based on the methodology, criteria and information referred to above.

Annex II

• Specific categories of travellers with an essential function or need: Healthcare professionals, health researchers, and elderly care professionals; Frontier workers;
  • Seasonal workers in agriculture;
  • Transport personnel;
  • Diplomats, staff of international organisations and people invited by international organisations whose physical presence is required for the well-functioning of these organisations, military personnel and humanitarian aid workers and civil protection personnel in the exercise of their functions;
  • Passengers in transit;
  • Passengers travelling for imperative family reasons;
  • Seafarers
  • Persons in need of international protection or for other humanitarian reasons
  • Third-country nationals travelling for the purpose of study;
  • Highly qualified third-country workers if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad.

We've had our ff miles for our flight to Copenhagen redeposited. AA is offering no penalty cancellations up to 9/30, but we booked our return flight from Paris on 9/19 via an ff web special for only 20k miles each and original booking terms were clear that no changes or cancellations were possible. We cancelled that reservation yesterday and it remains to be seen if our miles will be returned- one would think they should be given the circumstances.

We moved our RCCL NRD from the Jewel in August to the Empress in October '21 so that is no loss.

Our Easyjet flight cost from Barcelona to Bordeaux won't be refunded unless the airline cancels. Not a big loss as it was @$120 for both of us.

VRBO downpayment for a house the Dordogne will be refunded. Holiday Auto Rental prepayment will be too. Hotel reservations were not prepaid and are cancelled.

My only glitch is the timeshare trade we made via RCI (not to be confused with the cruiseline- it stands for Resort Condominiums International) into the Royal Regency Paris. Since not all possible exchangers are from barred countries, I am thinking we will be out @$600-$700 as I doubt RCI will give any break to US citizens who are banned from France.

On 7/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, cruising teacher said:

I had flights going to/from Italy mid July w/Aer Lingus and I knew it would eventually be canceled or rerouted.  They just canceled and I called and asked for a refund.  I had a trip booked to Sardinia for Sept. and that was w/Lufthansa and they canceled and I have a refund on that as well.  My hotel was canceled and no $$ lost there either.  Now, just waiting for the $$$ to hit the CC.  Good luck☺️I followed conversations on TA as well to aid me w/information.  I was really looking forward to these trips (LAND only) and it is sad this has happened.

We were booked to go to Italy in October and American. They canceled our TALT flights back in May and when I called about it they quickly offered a full refund and processed it in 10 days.  We were booked to go to Ireland in May on United.  When it because obvious to me that we were not going and UA was offering no penalty changes or ETCs good for two years it was a nice, easy thing to just cancel and get the ETC. IHad I wait for to see if UA would cancel the flight I could have gotten a refund.  

Many companies are using the EU legislation that allows them to issue a voucher rather than a refund. We are having issues getting refunds even when the hotel/tour operator has cancelled the booking. Only in Europe is that deemed ok to mess with the customer. 

27 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Many companies are using the EU legislation that allows them to issue a voucher rather than a refund. We are having issues getting refunds even when the hotel/tour operator has cancelled the booking. Only in Europe is that deemed ok to mess with the customer. 

Slight correction: 
First, this regulation was only implemented a short while ago to adapt to the current situation to avoid bancruptcies in the travel industry - which would eventually cause more problems to the customers.

Second, if a trip is canceled by the airline/travel company they can offer a voucher - but every customer has the right to deny the voucher and get a refund.

Third, even if a customer chooses to accept a voucher and the voucher is not redeemed within the "use by" date, a refund has to be offered at the later time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Slight correction: 
First, this regulation was only implemented a short while ago to adapt to the current situation to avoid bancruptcies in the travel industry - which would eventually cause more problems to the customers.

Second, if a trip is canceled by the airline/travel company they can offer a voucher - but every customer has the right to deny the voucher and get a refund.

Third, even if a customer chooses to accept a voucher and the voucher is not redeemed within the "use by" date, a refund has to be offered at the later time

I am talking of the current policy. I have not been given the option of a refund. I have only been offered the voucher. I actually cancelled the small cruise before cancellation penalties kicked in but they took so long to process it so that by the time they returned to the office the new law had kicked in. And the cruise was cancelled by them later as well. They are adamant they won't refund me. Given Aussies are being told not to expect vacations overseas before end of next year I refuse to wait over 18 months for a refund of a deposit I made a year ago. 

Edited by Pushka

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I am talking of the current policy. I have not been given the option of a refund. I have only been offered the voucher. I actually cancelled the small cruise before cancellation penalties kicked in but they took so long to process it so that by the time they returned to the office the new law had kicked in. And the cruise was cancelled by them later as well. They are adamant they won't refund me. Given Aussies are being told not to expect vacations overseas before end of next year I refuse to wait over 18 months for a refund of a deposit I made a year ago. 

They will always try to give you a voucher! If they cancelled (first), you still have the right to choose, no matter how hard they try.
Just had the same issue with two companies. After setting a deadline according to EU consumer protection laws they refunded the money.

If you/the passenger cancelled it´s a different matter. Regardless if the cruise was cancelled anyway at a later point. That´s why we did not cancel two cruises and waited for them to cancel. By European law the payments are protected - so I didn´t mind making the final payment.

Edited by Miaminice

I have a BA flight booked U.K. to LA for an October cruise that is likely to be cancelled, or if it isn’t, we will cancel. If I had booked my flights after the 3rd March, I could get a voucher to use later. However because I booked my flights early (last year) this does not apply and so I am likely to lose the money 😔

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I have a BA flight booked U.K. to LA for an October cruise that is likely to be cancelled, or if it isn’t, we will cancel. If I had booked my flights after the 3rd March, I could get a voucher to use later. However because I booked my flights early (last year) this does not apply and so I am likely to lose the money 😔

1. Only if you cancel. The case is clear if BA cancel.

2. As long as there is still a travel ban you should be eligible to a refund / voucher.

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

They will always try to give you a voucher! If they cancelled (first), you still have the right to choose, no matter how hard they try.
Just had the same issue with two companies. After setting a deadline according to EU consumer protection laws they refunded the money.

If you/the passenger cancelled it´s a different matter. Regardless if the cruise was cancelled anyway at a later point. That´s why we did not cancel two cruises and waited for them to cancel. By European law the payments are protected - so I didn´t mind making the final payment.

I have tried so many times to get my money refunded. I did cancel prior to the penalty period and they agreed to refund at the time but said it might take a while as they had to work from home. By the time they got back to the office they used the EU new law to escape refunding. So damn annoying as deposit was about $1500 USD. Anyway, I'm hoping Insurance that covers pandemics will cover the loss.