Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

11 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

NC does have a state Covid vaccine database.  The provider who administers the shot registers all recipients.  After they submit the registration you receive an email with an invitation to logon (email includes your username and instructions).   I got my first shot 2 weeks ago and have not received my invitation yet.  DW had hers earlier and got a login and it displays her verification of vaccination.

From what I've read on the state system, providers are required to register everyone as that's how all the federal reporting is handled.  I believe the providers get $$ for doing the dose administration as well.

My info is showing in the providers MyChart records.

When I go for my second shot I'm going to confirm with the provider they have my correct email etc.

https://covid-vaccine-portal.ncdhhs.gov

Are you with Duke Health or Wake Med?  Where in MyChart do you see confirmation of vaccination?

I somehow got a login to the portal BUT it takes me to a helpdesk, not virus results.

Edit:  Your wife's login.  Is it first.lastname, email address or ???

Edited by zitsky

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are you with Duke Health or Wake Med?  Where in MyChart do you see confirmation of vaccination?

I somehow got a login to the portal BUT it takes me to a helpdesk, not virus results.

Edit:  Your wife's login.  Is it first.lastname, email address or ???

Duke,   You have to look under Health and Immunizations

Yes the state portal the username is a combination of first,last,email.  

You should have received an invitation in the email with the subject "Welcome to the North Carolina Vaccine Management System Recipient Portal".    In that email there is a link "click here" where you go to setup your password.   Then you should be able to login to the portal.   I called to inquire about why I hadn't receive an invite email and they were very helpful.

I believe you have to click on something in the invitation

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

My comments on the oral antiviral were specific to the case of a cruise ships keeping them on board.  And their use (if approved by regulatory agencies) would be for treating COVID-positive individuals and would then apply to passengers on board during a cruise.  Let the clinical trials and FDA (or EMEA) decide if oral antivirals have merit to COVID-positive people and at what stage of disease.  That is all I am saying here.  An option beyond what we have now.   Assuming vaccinated-only cruises for awhile.  And what to do with breakthrough cases on board after testing.

I would think that would be a huge step forward to getting back to cruising if that type of oral antiviral was made available on ships.

I just had to post the latest "Flattening the Curve" link as it's not too often I see my state as the only one in the green. But from this chart it definitely looks like there has been an uptick in new infections.

Have we flattened the curve in the US? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

Note: I accidently posted this on another thread when I thought I was posting it here. I tell ya, it's tough getting old! 🙃

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just had to post the latest "Flattening the Curve" link as it's not too often I see my state as the only one in the green. But from this chart it definitely looks like there has been an uptick in new infections.

Note: I accidently posted this on another thread when I thought I was posting it here. I tell ya, it's tough getting old! 🙃

I tell ya, it's tough getting old(er)!  🍷

• Like 1

Yes, getting old means going to more doctors for checkups, etc., slowing down, perhaps taking a nap in the afternoon, but looking forward to each new day.

One thing about getting old, we have learned to be efficient with our time.   We know what we like and don't like.  NOW, we like cruising......

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Saw your post on the other thread.

The green status for your state can probably be attributed to the firm Covid 19 mandates put in place by your governor. 

Would that we all should be so lucky to have a governor to take a stance on the side of public health ....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Saw your post on the other thread.

The green status for your state can probably be attributed to the firm Covid 19 mandates put in place by your governor. 

Would that we all should be so lucky to have a governor to take a stance on the side of public health ....

The vaccines are also starting to flow, which have also been a big help, especially now that they are starting to have all day "no reservation" clinics with the help of the ANG in many of our rural counties. 

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

My state (PA) is actually surging again according to your link.  I wish we could get off our buttocks and get more vaccinations going!  

• Like 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

My state (PA) is actually surging again according to your link.  I wish we could get off our buttocks and get more vaccinations going!  

I hear ya! Has your governor activated the ANG yet to help with vaccine sites in your rural areas? I've got to say here in my state, the "no reservation" drive-through lines seem to really help to get the vaccines out. I know that's how we got ours a month earlier than the appointment we had reservations for at our local county health department. Being retired we just treated it as an all day excursion and brought a deck of cards to keep us entertained for the 6 hours it took waiting in line to get the shot. 😉

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I hear ya! Has your governor activated the ANG yet to help with vaccine sites in your rural areas? I've got to say here in my state, the "no reservation" drive-through lines seem to really help to get the vaccines out. I know that's how we got ours a month earlier than the appointment we had reservations for at our local county health department. Being retired we just treated it as an all day excursion and brought a deck of cards to keep us entertained for the 6 hours it took waiting in line to get the shot. 😉

Our state National Guard  and FEMA was activated in Philadelphia for no appointment vaccines for about 3 days but only for 22 zip codes I believe based upon socioeconomic criteria.

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-walk-up-fema-covid-19-vaccine-site-pennsylvania-convention-center-covid-19-zip-codes/10423187/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Our state National Guard  and FEMA was activated in Philadelphia for no appointment vaccines for about 3 days but only for 22 zip codes I believe based upon socioeconomic criteria.

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-walk-up-fema-covid-19-vaccine-site-pennsylvania-convention-center-covid-19-zip-codes/10423187/

Sounds like it's starting to ramp up in Philadelphia. Here's what the current Alabama plan is.

The COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Plan in Alabama (aarp.org)

26 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds like it's starting to ramp up in Philadelphia. Here's what the current Alabama plan is.

The COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Plan in Alabama (aarp.org)

Chicago (Cook county to be exact) is about to open up appointments for 25,000 doses of Pfizer in about 10 minutes or so as of this typing.  Hopefully I can get my wife an appointment!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Chicago (Cook county to be exact) is about to open up appointments for 25,000 doses of Pfizer in about 10 minutes or so as of this typing.  Hopefully I can get my wife an appointment!

It's funny how we have to play the browser refresh game to get an appointment.  I was watching in my area and found lots of appointments.  But when I was ready to schedule, I couldn't find any for a day or two.  I don't know what happened.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for the link... checked out our 2 states.  Fl and NY...

Happy ( and lucky)  we were able to get Moderna  while in Florida  for our 1/2  time there. A few of  our Fl neighbors who were a bit more laid back about it all,  just got their second shots today.

In N.Y,, it is likely we would still be waiting  for an appt, despite being in the senior sector. Scarcity and focus on other groups make appts difficult to make; and the drive throughs are not very close to home,

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for the link.  I was wondering why some people were saying that the numbers were going up.  They are going down in some states and back up in others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks for the link.  I was wondering why some people were saying that the numbers were going up.  They are going down in some states and back up in others.

I read somewhere that 20 states have had no fatalities  for some days.   If you look at the CDC chart, most states numbers are dropping or leveling, but some have gone up.   Here in our local county, we went over two months without a fatality until having one recently.

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Cases are increasing in some states, but even in those states, hospitalizations and deaths are dropping as the vulnerable people are becoming vaccinated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D C said:

Cases are increasing in some states, but even in those states, hospitalizations and deaths are dropping as the vulnerable people are becoming vaccinated. 

The overall number for the US are also showing an increase in hospitalizations as well as overall cases.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

It's funny how we have to play the browser refresh game to get an appointment.  I was watching in my area and found lots of appointments.  But when I was ready to schedule, I couldn't find any for a day or two.  I don't know what happened.

Actually I didn't need to do the refresh, I got placed into a virtual waiting room.   Finally got her an appointment though!  By May 1 we'll both be fully vaccinated and rarin' to go!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nocl said:

The overall number for the US are also showing an increase in hospitalizations as well as overall cases.

Where do you see the information on total Covid related hospitalizations across the US?  

Thanks

Edited by jagoffee

It's been in the Executive Order released January 21st. Hardly new...

(e)  International Certificates of Vaccination or Prophylaxis.  Consistent with applicable law, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of HHS, and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the TSA), in coordination with any relevant international organizations, shall assess the feasibility of linking COVID-19 vaccination to International Certificates of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP) and producing electronic versions of ICVPs.

• Like 1