Celebrity needs to offer a World Cruise in 2022

kelmac

Okay -- everything is different now.  We did a World Cruise in 2019 on Cunard's Victoria and it was wonderful.  Celebrity needs to step it up and join the big boys and girls!  How about using the Constellation, or the Millennium, for a 100 night cruise from San Diego to Miami.  Post Covid, things need to change.  

Who's in?

Enjoy!

Kel😁

14 minutes ago, kelmac said:

Post Covid, things need to change.  

Why? If X wanted to do world cruises, they would have done so. If you want a world cruise, there are other lines that do them. While we enjoy our cruises,  I don't see us doing a world cruise, ever.

Edited by mom says

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Sounds appealing, but not on the ships you are suggesting. We would prefer an S class ship.

We would do it in a New York minute on an S class ship

We love cruising and our favourite cruise ever was the longest (TP) but I can’t see us wanting to be on a ship much longer than 20 days without a break...Much prefer to choose a cruise with different start and finish port and enjoy a stay in those with a cruise of 12/14 nights in the middle. 

I can’t remember the name of the poster now but a few years ago someone had a land stay in Hawaii, did the TP on Solstice, got off in Australia for a two week land tour, got back on Solstice for the New Zealand cruise and then finished with a New Zealand land tour. Always thought if you fancied a really long holiday doing a HOHO on a cruise ship would be perfect!!!

It would be nice if Celebrity added some new ports of call, however...

• Like 3

Agree with the other posters; I’m still working so a 100 day anything is out of the question. Not sure if I would feel differently if I was retired. The idea of being away from home for months is a bit unsettling. Too many things to break...

We've considered world cruises when they have been offered (Oceania, Azamara, HAL) but when it gets down to it we pass because we have been to the vast majority of places it would visit and really not interested in a stretch of 100+ days on a ship. 

We did around 90 days in about a 120 day period late 2019/early 2020 but that was on 4 different ships.  And the breaks were actually refreshing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Based on responses from the Celebrity faithful, you can see why Celebrity doesn't offer a World Cruise.

People are missing the point.  World cruises are split up into segments, as well as a packaged deal.  Want a 14 or 28 days journey?  Get on in Fiji, disembark in Sidney or Singapore.

We've still got a few more decades of work-life ahead so we are out.  Many people would disagree, but we don't even have a desire to do a European cruise. The drive by experience just doesn't cut it. A world cruise would be fun if you had the time, money, and willingness to be on a ship that long, but I can't ever imagine that would be an appealing goal for us at any point. 

7 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Based on responses from the Celebrity faithful, you can see why Celebrity doesn't offer a World Cruise.

I am part of the Celebrity faithful (33 Celebrity cruises and 306 days onboard) and not all of their clients want to stay home and play with their dog, or wash the car, or ride the lawnmower.  My wife and I are both retired, and I asked her if she wanted a new car, or a World cruise.  Possessions or experiences?  I'm sure we could fill an S or M class ship with like minded people that would feel right at home onboard a ship for a 100 days.  We've done it and the people onboard were amazing.

Enjoy!

Kel😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity is trying to attract a younger clientele, not retirees. The majority of that target demographic simply can't walk away from their jobs for 100 days or so, and probably don't have the interest in doing so. HAL does a good job with its world cruises, but caters to a different demographic. I don't see Celebrity entertaining this concept, at least not under current management and its stated future direction.

If X were to offer a World Cruise, it would not be on an E class ship if Gen X is really their target market for those ships. More than likely it would be an S class, imo. Not too convinced that all of the M class will still belong to X post pandemic.

57 minutes ago, kelmac said:

I am part of the Celebrity faithful (33 Celebrity cruises and 306 days onboard) and not all of their clients want to stay home and play with their dog, or wash the car, or ride the lawnmower.  My wife and I are both retired, and I asked her if she wanted a new car, or a World cruise.  Possessions or experiences?  I'm sure we could fill an S or M class ship with like minded people that would feel right at home onboard a ship for a 100 days.  We've done it and the people onboard were amazing.

Enjoy!

Kel😁

I think a car would be considerably cheaper. I wouldn’t want either. 

I AGREE with the OP!! I would sign on to a world cruise in a heartbeat if I had the time or money! LOL (and I know plenty of X cruisers who have expressed similar thoughts to world cruises.)

Royal "group" has not stepped into the world cruise market much but with the aging baby boomers I definitely think the demand will be there, yet they haven't made any inclination to longer cruises, in fact most are short. 

I think like MSC they would use one of the smaller ships, so probably an M Class.

12 minutes ago, yorky said:

Would love it if we won the lottery. But I think we would do it on a proper ocean liner like the QM2.

That's a great ship for long journeys and big seas!

We  are now preferring shorter cruises up to 7 days ( used to prefer 15) and prefer itins close to home and  healthcare

As Gen Xers, we have many working years before we could go on a world cruise, but we still dream about it someday.  We're supposed to go on our first Celebrity cruise April 2021.  We've been on about a dozen cruises with other lines, but one of the reasons we've shied away from Celebrity was it felt like we would "waste" loyalty days.  It seems to make more sense to accumulate loyalty days to the same line where we might take a world cruise.  That said, from what I've read and pictures that I've seen, Celebrity feels like a good fit for us--  except for the ultimate dream trip.

As another poster said the world cruises are broken into segments and one could select what segments they would like. I'm booked on the first segment (Miami to LA) of the Crystal World cruise scheduled to begin on January 5, 2021. I believe that it will most likely be cancelled, but I only selected the segment that I could take. I really don't know how many selected the entire cruise, but I know that some have. Crystal really doesn't need to depend on people staying on for the entire cruise so long as cabins are filled in each segment.

Edit: I don't believe that Celebrity "needs" to offer a World Cruise, but they should consider it.

Edited by Life Buoy