Would you wear masks survey

janewe

Thanks for the 125 replies to my thread  “would you cruise if you had to wear a mask most of the time?”.  It got closed down yesterday before I could say thanks to the responders, perhaps it got too contentious.

The replies were helpful for me in coming to a decision.  I tabulated the answers I got and 64% said they would not cruise with a mask on.  

I was out yesterday, a little north of Toronto, Ontario and although we have a mandatory mask law, must have on inside businesses, a person in my demographic walked into a small convenience store without a mask and was served.  I stayed in my car until he left.  So even although we have it under a semblance of control, less than 100 cases a day now in a population of 14 million there are some that don’t adhere to it. I am concerned about complacency as things improve somewhat and we have a reversal.

So, at 70, my wife a little younger, we are high risk to have serious problems if we were to get covid 19 on a plane, at a hotel or on a cruise ship from one person who doesn’t follow the rules.   To use a stock market analogy, the risk reward is not in our favour.

Some don’t mind wearing a mask and I do all the time when going to the store etc but I really don’t like them and can’t get my head around to wearing them for hours on end on planes, ships, excursions.  I asked myself, would it be fun?  The answer was no.

As a result, we just cancelled our January cruise.  We will wait for a vaccine that is proven to be effective and has broad distribution.  Thanks again for your input.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I guess I wonder why would someone who goes to a grocery store, out in public, and so on have an issue wearing one. You are protecting yourself and others. Possibly your dear grand parents or parents and others grand parents too. If we all stick together this can be beat. But not with the rebels who refuse to wear them. It’s only for a short time if we all wear them if not a long time.

As far as cruising with a mask. Not sure. If we had a true vaccine that actually was successful not something Trump wants to ram through then maybe we would cruise and the actual information comes from the experts not from the people that know nothing about it. Government openingS was way too early. If they would have kept everything locked down it would have been a shorter effect. Now it can go on forever. We are looking at a 2022 cruise.. Darn!!!

• Like 8

I participated in your original thread and was one who said they would have no problem at all wearing a mask in public areas on a ship.  I didn't like them either when we first had to wear them but have no problem now and I have to wear one 8-10 hours a day at work.  If someone on a ship defied the rule I am sure it would be addressed by staff, but more importantly I would simply avoid that person.  Unless on a tiny ship there are few areas that are so tight on a ship that one would be forced to be close to someone without one.  

I just want to get on a ship and hope to do so as soon as they set sail again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, janewe said:

I really don’t like them and can’t get my head around to wearing them for hours on end on planes, ships, excursions.  I asked myself, would it be fun?  The answer was no.

It's even worse for the millions and millions of employees everywhere who have to wear them all day long every day........😞

• Like 1

We have the same thing. Masks are mandatory in my State and have been for the last few weeks. I would say 99% of people adhere to it but if you walk into the grocery store you will still find someone without a mask on. While every store has a policy of no mask, no service; I've never seen someone turned away for not wearing a mask.

OP, i generally agree with you. While my person feelings about COVID change from time to time based on the fact that I keep hearing stories of false positives and all the fears of the "overrun" health system haven't come to pass - I am willing to do my part and distance and wear a mask. But, I don't enjoy it, I live that way because there are things I have to do in live - buy food, go to work, get gas, etc. But, I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars for a vacation experience where a mask is required. I'm young, and have plenty of years to travel when this is all over. I'm willing to wait it out.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will not wear a mask on a cruise ship.

I am in the Toronto area and I am disheartened to see so many people Not wearing a mask indoors as required by law - there are many, many who do not - particularly the 20 somethings and very elderly.

I also traveled to Ottawa area last week for business, many people with no masks. Stopped at Kempville on the 416 for gas and food (a more rural community), just about half had a mask on.

I would say that the mask uptake in these parts of Ontario are no where near 100%.

Now that summer is here in Ontario, many reports of crowded beaches with no social distancing and no masks and the Mayor of Ottawa and Public Health Officer scolded young people misbehaving at bars etc with no social distancing and masks.

I seems the US gets a bad rap, well I would not support the impression that the area of Canada that I live in is much better. Perhaps we have less people per geography and that is helping the numbers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

It's even worse for the millions and millions of employees everywhere who have to wear them all day long every day........😞

As one of "those people" you REALLY do get used to it and it's no longer a big deal...........just have to find one good enough for elegant chic night!!!!😁😁😅

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

As one of "those people" you REALLY do get used to it and it's no longer a big deal...........just have to find one good enough for elegant chic night!!!!😁😁😅

I know a lot of people wearing them at work who REALLY feel otherwise.  Just because you've managed to get used to it doesn't mean everyone has.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

I know a lot of people wearing them at work who REALLY feel otherwise.  Just because you've managed to get used to it doesn't mean everyone has.

I did not say that everyone has, it's no longer a big deal FOR ME and I have to wear one for 8 to 10 hours 6 days a week.  It's a heck of a lot better than getting sick. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

A little humor --- No " agitation " intended . It's just for fun.

Here's a " Guarantee " ---Take it from someone who knows (  LOL---nothing ) .

Ya think, this thread will evolve into the exact ( means the same ) as previously discussed " once or twice " ???

" I asked myself, would it be fun?  The answer was no ".    Agree .

" the rebels who refuse to wear them".   Idiots that claim " It's by body, it's my Right " !!! --- They deserve a " You know what " .

I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars for a vacation experience where a mask is required ".   Agree.

" Will not wear a mask on a cruise ship".   Agree . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't pay to cruise if I had to wear a mask.    

Wearing a mask while doing an hour on the exercise cycle or running on a treadmill would not be healthy.

Would you have to wear a mask while in your cabin?

Would you have to wear a mask while in the main dining room, while not eating or drinking?

Even if I didn't have to wear a mask in those cases, I still wouldn't pay to cruise.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I wouldn't pay to cruise if I had to wear a mask.    

Wearing a mask while doing an hour on the exercise cycle or running on a treadmill would not be healthy.

Would you have to wear a mask while in your cabin?

Would you have to wear a mask while in the main dining room, while not eating or drinking?

Even if I didn't have to wear a mask in those cases, I still wouldn't pay to cruise.

No one in any of the cruise lines has indicated you would have to wear a mask in your room (why would you?) or while eating or drinking.  Not going to speak to the treadmill although the gym I belong to has many people wearing them on a treadmill, I've worn one on an ellipitical.  But to each his own.   This is why it probably won't be hard for lines to lower their census because it's just not something some people want to do, even long time cruisers.   For me it's fine, as long as I can sit on my balcony and watch the ocean with a glass of wine in my hand I'm good, a little inconvenience is well worth it.  

• Like 4

I tried hard to ignore and do not post- but I could not resist. I wore my mask on my little blue journey- yes the cruise was different- as is everything in our daily life these days. Yes- the cruise was still wonderful- however short i was-  and with no shore excursion. I looked for a little  time out and a little change of sceenery- that is excatly what I got!

It is really very simple- WEAR YOUR MASK WHEN SOCIAL DISTANCING CAN NOT BE ADHERED

NO NEED TO WEAR YOU MASK WHEN YOU ARE SITTING BY YOURSELF- YOUR PARTNER; WIFE; WHATEVER!

The treadmills in the fitness thing ( I just had a quick look inside how it works- I prefer to walk in the fresh air when on board a ship) where put further apart- those who worked out- DID NOT WEAR A MASK WHILE DOING SO!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

I am in the Toronto area and I am disheartened to see so many people Not wearing a mask indoors as required by law - there are many, many who do not - particularly the 20 somethings and very elderly.

I also traveled to Ottawa area last week for business, many people with no masks. Stopped at Kempville on the 416 for gas and food (a more rural community), just about half had a mask on.

I would say that the mask uptake in these parts of Ontario are no where near 100%.

Now that summer is here in Ontario, many reports of crowded beaches with no social distancing and no masks and the Mayor of Ottawa and Public Health Officer scolded young people misbehaving at bars etc with no social distancing and masks.

I seems the US gets a bad rap, well I would not support the impression that the area of Canada that I live in is much better. Perhaps we have less people per geography and that is helping the numbers.

Respectfully disagree. I'd rather be in Ontario than Florida.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Very interesting post.  I have seen all too many comments from our friendly neighbors to the north being very condescending and critical of what is happening here in the US.   Many comments about how wonderful it is being handled in Canada and how awful it is being handled here.  We have a population that is 10 times bigger than Canada.  The size alone presents additional challenges, as does the fact that our population incorporates many more dense cities whereas Canada's is more spread out and rural.  That does not excuse a higher positivity rate, but too many people just look at the overall number of cases and make judgements.  We also are all not the same here in the US.  In my state, we have done a very good job IMHO in flattening the curve and keeping the case count lower (although sadly when we opened things up a bit many of the younger people took that as a signal to start partying at bars and the like and the cases are beginning to rise again).  I'm not saying we are doing a great job - far from it - but I am getting tired of the condescending attitudes of some folks from other countries.  It is easy to sit in judgment when you don't bother to look at all the facts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Simply put, yes I would wear a mask.

Why?  Because I care about my health and the health of others.  Period. 

And I'd wear one even after I've been vaccinated, too.  Why?  Because I care about my health and the health of others.  Period. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

To wear or not to wear, on a cruise, is something that I do not need to consider because if there is a stipulation (to wear) then this infers there is risk and, if there is risk, it is a risk I prefer not to take. I'm not averse to wearing a mask in situations where social distancing cannot be achieved but, so far, I have managed to avoid such situations.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I invite you to read this post from last weekend:

I have read articles the indicate wearing a mask will doing intensive exercise would not be advisable and could be harmful.  

At 72, I don't do 60 mile bike rides or 10 mile runs anymore, but I do speed walk 5K four times a week.   Even doing that, I would not want to wear a mask.  I don't need to do so, since I can avoid the occasionally walker by moving to the opposite side of the street.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/is-it-safe-to-wear-a-face-mask-during-intense-exercise/

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

To wear or not to wear, on a cruise, is something that I do not need to consider because if there is a stipulation (to wear) then this infers there is risk and, if there is risk, it is a risk I prefer not to take. I'm not averse to wearing a mask in situations where social distancing cannot be achieved but, so far, I have managed to avoid such situations.

Just like wearing a seat belt when flying infers a risk?

Just like getting a shot from polio or chicken pox infers a risk?

Just like going to a muster drill infers a risk?

Shall I continue...?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

I have read articles the indicate wearing a mask will doing intensive exercise would not be advisable and could be harmful.  

At 72, I don't do 60 mile bike rides or 10 mile runs anymore, but I do speed walk 5K four times a week.   Even doing that, I would not want to wear a mask.  I don't need to do so, since I can avoid the occasionally walker by moving to the opposite side of the street.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/is-it-safe-to-wear-a-face-mask-during-intense-exercise/

In this example, a university researcher ran indoors on a treadmill for three minutes wearing full fencing gear, both with and without a cloth face mask under the fencing mask. Based on her decrease in oxygenation wearing both masks, the researcher concluded that "Any further decreases in oxygen concentration – by exercising longer or harder – would have a large effect on the physiological responses to exercise". How relevant this test is to the average person exercising in normal workout gear remains to be seen. In my estimation, the doctor who ran 35 km outside on a humid summer day with a negligible decrease in oxygenation seems to present a more typical picture, but as with all things COVID-related, I'm sure we will see further studies to advance our knowledge on the subject.

• Like 2

I’m currently on vacation in Madrid and mask wearing is mandatory everywhere. I have not seen one person not wearing a mask walking around the city. 
We went to a 28th floor hotel roof top bar last night and you keep your mask on until your drinks arrive. Then you can remove them whilst seated. I made the mistake of walking to the edge to take a picture of the city view and was quickly told to return as I forgot to put my mask back on.
The night was excellent and not spoilt at all by adhering to the mask rules.
Back in the UK I am pretty disgusted the requirement to wear a mask is so blatantly ignored, particularly by those our Government deem at most risk.

• Like 2

MSC has now been cleared by Italy to start sailing on two of their ships.  It will be interesting to hear how those sailings go, I'm sure all crew and guests will be wearing masks in all public areas.  I hope for everyone's sake that these cruises go on without incident.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Just like wearing a seat belt when flying infers a risk?

Just like getting a shot from polio or chicken pox infers a risk?

Just like going to a muster drill infers a risk?

Shall I continue...?

Yes please.

Getting out of bed each morning infers a risk but I can make the judgement on what risks I wish to take.

I ride a motorcycle, this involves risk.

We all have choices and my choice on the question of wearing a mask on the a cruise is not the wearing of the mask but being on a ship where there is a risk of becoming infected. Not only that but the risk of acquiring an infection of which there is a possibility of unknowingly passing it on to someone else. My choosing to wear a seat belt does not have the potential to harm or even kill others.

BTW, I am well aware of health risks of polio and chicken pox, I have had both. (OT).