Would you wear masks survey

janewe

12 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Since we live in Germany (and at the moment we are pretty happy about it 🙂) I can contribute to that.

Except for the certain number of unreasonable people and conspiracy theorists which can be found anywhere, people in Germany are actually pretty disciplined about the regulations.

I wonder about the statement above because wearing masks in the typical (open) street markets is not mandatory - and yet, still most do. Keeping the distance is, of course, mandatory. Wearing masks in restaurants, on street or not, is not mandatory either - and unpractical. Tables have to be set apart, guest have to sanitize their hands, tables and menus have to be sanitized, while walking to your table a mask needs to be worn - but not while sitting at the table. Additional to that every guest has to fill out a form with name, time contact data etc. to provide tracing if needed.

Glad to here from someone who lives there because all we have to go on is what we see in the media:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53622797

and

54 minutes ago, Lazz said:

Glad to here from someone who lives there because all we have to go on is what we see in the media:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53622797

I can just say that the 99% reasonable people here are ashamed and freakin p... off about the 1% of nutcases. 

The main problem in Germany is the so called prevention paradox .  Since we handled the situation well, many many people never came into real contact with Covid-19. So now some say that all preventive actions are overdone... 😞

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I live in Toronto, but have worked in Florida, Texas, and Kentucky in the past 3 months and can say the mask participation is much higher in the states than in Toronto. However, the participation goes down the farther you are from the big cities.

So while we have lower numbers, I'm never proud to say we're doing a good job.

6 minutes ago, GateGuardian said:

I live in Toronto, but have worked in Florida, Texas, and Kentucky in the past 3 months and can say the mask participation is much higher in the states than in Toronto. However, the participation goes down the farther you are from the big cities.

So while we have lower numbers, I'm never proud to say we're doing a good job.

One of the posters living in Toronto had the opinion approx 70% were masking and he didn't think that was very good.  100% isn't realistic knowing human nature.  Not sure what you're basing the 'participation' opinion on re farther from the big cities....are you referring to the cities in the US or Canada...do you travel a lot outside Toronto?....in my limited experience, most in our smaller city follow the recommendation re masking.  It may be 'where' you live in Toronto and 'where' you go for entertainment (I know the bar scene isn't really taking masks too seriously per my DGD); ...conversely where are you working in the 3 states mentioned?  If you're travelling from city to city (wherever your job takes you - highway or midtown, dining in smaller centres, etc), you would have more insight than I.  Can only go by the numbers and count per population is working here in Canada, so far.  Sorry you're not proud of our effort.  Do you wear a mask when you're 'away'?

1 minute ago, oceangoer2 said:

One of the posters living in Toronto had the opinion approx 70% were masking and he didn't think that was very good.  100% isn't realistic knowing human nature.  Not sure what you're basing the 'participation' opinion on re farther from the big cities....are you referring to the cities in the US or Canada...do you travel a lot outside Toronto?....in my limited experience, most in our smaller city follow the recommendation re masking.  It may be 'where' you live in Toronto and 'where' you go for entertainment (I know the bar scene isn't really taking masks too seriously per my DGD); ...conversely where are you working in the 3 states mentioned?  If you're travelling from city to city (wherever your job takes you - highway or midtown, dining in smaller centres, etc), you would have more insight than I.  Can only go by the numbers and count per population is working here in Canada, so far.  Sorry you're not proud of our effort.  Do you wear a mask when you're 'away'?

Sorry, "not proud" is not the right word, but yes I do travel in Ontario and the US. I do a lot of site visits located in large cities and tiny ones with populations less than 100, which usually requires an overnight stay. 

17 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I can just say that the 99% reasonable people here are ashamed and freakin p... off about the 1% of nutcases. 

The main problem in Germany is the so called prevention paradox .  Since we handled the situation well, many many people never came into real contact with Covid-19. So now some say that all preventive actions are overdone... 😞

Those nutcases were given a nice nicname- " The Covidiots" - and rightly so. There was much confusion in Berlin with these Covidiots themselfes- some did no even know what they were prostesting at. I read one elderly Lady hold up a banner stating:

" Let me plant the plants I like in my own court " - some even followed her...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Those nutcases were given a nice nicname- " The Covidiots" - and rightly so. There was much confusion in Berlin with these Covidiots themselfes- some did no even know what they were prostesting at. I read one elderly Lady hold up a banner stating:

" Let me plant the plants I like in my own court " - some even followed her...!

We have those too... IMO and IMO only....

bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

We have those too... IMO and IMO only....

bon voyage

29 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Unfortunately, there are far too many of them.

The problem in some countries is that they are on top of the "food chain" 😉😰
Also IMO and IMO only...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 8/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, Shadow9612 said:

Respectfully disagree. I'd rather be in Ontario than Florida.

There are rural areas of Florida with little or no COVID. Same with Arizona.  No everyone is a bar hopping yuppie who cares little about others.

Two thoughts. Cruising for some with a mask is not an option.  My DW has asthma and her blood oxygen levels start dropping after just a few minutes with a mask.

Second, if the vaccines are not very effective what happens to areas like Vancouver Island with almost no COVID?  Do they continue their current policies of restricted entry or open again to tourism?  I think about BC ski areas for instance and the effects of being closed for the coming year vs. opening and having a resurgence of COVID.  Think about 1918 and the following year when all that stopped the flu was herd immunity.

I wouldnt want to risk going to find myself feeling insecure on a ship with people on board who arent complying and putting others at risk by their behaviour...so,

I wouldn't cruise unless onboard measures, hand cleansing, social distancing mask wearing were compulsory and part of the cruise contract. Everyone should have to comply, no excuses or exceptions etc. otherwise, like other behaviour issues they would be offloaded.  It would be for the safety of everyone on board, crew and cruisers. If this meant some couldnt cruise for now, then they might have to live with that and chose another type of vacation. Just like those who are badly seasick wouldnt choose to cruise.

Her in the UK we are now starting to go out, but are choosing to go where we are sure of high standards, and compliant behaviour by those who frequent those places. Its working out well for us so far. 

Wash (hands frequently)

Face  (covering or mask)

Space (around 2 metres)

Stay safe,

Act like you've got it and stop the spread

• Thanks 1

When you see how people are behaving at Walmart or how they used to behave at the buffets, there is zero hope for us that everybody will obey to hygene concepts during Covid times and that will mean that we are getting pretty much upset several times a day about the lack of discipline of others.

What kind of vacation will that be for us?

We‘d rather wait until it‘s really safe to cruise again and that means after a vaccine works.

Edited by Yoshikitty

On 8/7/2020 at 1:45 PM, Gracie115 said:

No one in any of the cruise lines has indicated you would have to wear a mask in your room (why would you?) or while eating or drinking.  Not going to speak to the treadmill although the gym I belong to has many people wearing them on a treadmill, I've worn one on an ellipitical.  But to each his own.   This is why it probably won't be hard for lines to lower their census because it's just not something some people want to do, even long time cruisers.   For me it's fine, as long as I can sit on my balcony and watch the ocean with a glass of wine in my hand I'm good, a little inconvenience is well worth it.  

If it meant cruising again, well, heck yes!!  And like you say, it won't be hard to cut the capacity, which is also a plus!  I don't think it will come down to that ... it will either be a vaccine or nothing, but given the choice of cruising with a mask or not cruising at all, I'd wear one in a heartbeat.  

• Like 3

On 8/9/2020 at 4:22 PM, oceangoer2 said:

3 goals in last 4 minutes and win in OT.

The Leafs are a great team . UMM ?? When was the last time they won the Stanley Cup ?

The Ottawa Senators are another great team .They draw 8000 fans to a game and some even pay for a ticket.

Can't tell you my team---Hint--- The Rocket, Boom Boom, 

19 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

The Leafs are a great team . UMM ?? When was the last time they won the Stanley Cup ?

The Ottawa Senators are another great team .They draw 8000 fans to a game and some even pay for a ticket.

Can't tell you my team---Hint--- The Rocket, Boom Boom, 

Oh dear, you are truly dating yourself. I wasn't even born when Maurice started playing for les Canadiens, and was still a baby when Bernie joined their ranks. A couple of great players, though, and the first two NHL players to score 50 goals in a season.

Returning to the subject of this thread, les Canadiens' Jacques Plante was the first goalie to wear a mask in an NHL game. 😷

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Oh dear, you are truly dating yourself. I wasn't even born when Maurice started playing for les Canadiens, and was still a baby when Bernie joined their ranks. A couple of great players, though, and the first two NHL players to score 50 goals in a season.

Returning to the subject of this thread, les Canadiens' Jacques Plante was the first goalie to wear a mask in an NHL game. 😷

LOL---To stay on topic--- Let's say any of those guys were interviewed about whether they would wear a mask on a cruise or maybe the game they just played, they would give you an answer -- Yup, an answer , unlike listening to the typical same old same old from the players today. ( John Tortorella not included ) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 7:59 AM, Miaminice said:

Except for the certain number of unreasonable people and conspiracy theorists which can be found anywhere, people in Germany are actually pretty disciplined about the regulations.

Totally agree, they are very disciplined.  That's why the autobahn works so well.  Change lanes, pass car, get back in right lane.  We loved living in Germany in the early 90's (Kalkar)!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, drsel said:

Both are definitely going to be required until the virus becomes extinct like smallpox

Well I guess we will have Space Cruises instead of Ocean cruises. Smallpox was reported for at least 3000 years.  The smallpox vaccine was used for worldwide eradication from the 1940's and finally the last case was reported in 1977.  So we would have a very long wait to cruise hoping for COVID to be fully eradicated (extinct).😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1