Diamonds International

If you just take the time to look, you’ll get all the drinks you want. If you go in and says “give me the charm”, not so much. 

We buy a lot from Majesty Jewelers in St Matin. Over the years, we have got a default discount down pretty low and negotiate from there. 

Edited by BirdTravels

i worked in the gemstone business back in the day and have a friend that owns a nice mom/pop retail jewelry shop on one of the most popular islands in the caribbean......I asked him one day what it took to be a "preferred" shop in the cruise brochures?..He laughed and wrote the amount on the note pad. He said his business was blessed  with many  loyal buyers and  he did not have to pay the cruise lines to be "preferred"....enough said?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, retired dude said:

i worked in the gemstone business back in the day and have a friend that owns a nice mom/pop retail jewelry shop on one of the most popular islands in the caribbean......I asked him one day what it took to be a "preferred" shop in the cruise brochures?..He laughed and wrote the amount on the note pad. He said his business was blessed  with many  loyal buyers and  he did not have to pay the cruise lines to be "preferred"....enough said?

😄

3 hours ago, retired dude said:

What was the amount?

More sympathy here for the mom & pop stores that don't participate in the 'preferred' game with kickbacks to the cruise lines. I rather patronize businesses who don't share their revenue with cruise lines that feel the need to get a cut of everything their passengers spend.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2020 at 10:26 AM, DaniDanielle said:

Anyone else getting emails from Diamonds International?  I have gotten several, last one telling me they have a necklace and earrings to match my ring.  I feel terrible for them, they must be really hurting to be reaching out like this.😷

Don't feel too bad. They have 3 stores in Manhattan along with their home office.They also have an online business.  I'm sure Tiffany's is taking a hit too during this economy.    Email is the fastest and easiest way to advertise. I get at least 10 emails a day from Macy's and Kohl's

Edited by Iamcruzin

Much speculation about having to take a ship sponsored excursion. Have been wondering how that is going to affect stores like DI and also the locals who have kiosks/open markets and shops. Not sure how you can have tourists safely shop and if you eliminate the shopping portion of the stops that would deeply cut into the benefits of allowing ships into the ports for the locals. I would not be happy to be told that stores giving a kick back to the cruise lines are okay and locals who are struggling are not. I know that those providing the excursions would benefit, but what about the restaurant/bars who are not part of an excursion.

• Like 1