What will happen today with the CDC?

cruise-4-ever

1 hour ago, cruise-4-ever said:

Well, we can only wait for the news if cruising will start up In November.  We can only hope.  

You all stay safe and be well.

We can only hope that it doesn't start up in November, or December or early 2021.  We can only hope that the CDC doesn't give cruising a green light until covid is under control.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They will do nothing till tomorrow to show they still have control 

Will they bother to wait for a Saturday?  I would expect a late-day announcement today.

But I've been plenty wrong about stuff recently, so this will just be one more wrong guess...

28 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Will they bother to wait for a Saturday?  I would expect a late-day announcement today.

But I've been plenty wrong about stuff recently, so this will just be one more wrong guess...

I have no idea.  I doubt with the current virus conditions they will allow ships to sail.  They could always be proactive.....naw, that would be stepping up to do their job proficiently.  That said, they are failing our country big time, so one more announcement in that light will not hurt.  

58 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

We can only hope that it doesn't start up in November, or December or early 2021.  We can only hope that the CDC doesn't give cruising a green light until covid is under control.

Or you can just decide to go when you feel it is safe and not try to control others from going.  smh 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Or you can just decide to go when you feel it is safe and not try to control others from going.  smh 

Oh...not true at all.

The rhetorical "you" get sick on a cruise or anywhere else....and your germs can infect me.

The people who are so anxious to cruise now (look at the statistics) aren't the kind of people I'd trust to self quarantine after coming into contact with people from "high risk states".

ETA....In my opinion, you're not going to have the option to cruise when "you feel safe".  

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If I read it correctly, I think JH said that we would know today.  From his FB page this morning, "Good morning everyone and here we are on tender hooks waiting to see what the CDC will say today so my morning coffee video will wait until we have the news."

Edited by naxer

57 minutes ago, naxer said:

If I read it correctly, I think JH said that we would know today.  From his FB page this morning, "Good morning everyone and here we are on tender hooks waiting to see what the CDC will say today so my morning coffee video will wait until we have the news."

I never caught fish with a " tender hook " and I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the announcement from the government.

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I never caught fish with a " tender hook " and I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the announcement from the government.

JH said "tender hooks"?  I thought is was tenter hooks.

If I used a "tender hook" when fishing, I don't think I could catch any fish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, evandbob said:

JH said "tender hooks"?  I thought is was tenter hooks.

If I used a "tender hook" when fishing, I don't think I could catch any fish.

Tenterhooks are nails and it's one word 🙂  As fisher people it made us smile when we saw the post by JH this morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have no idea.  I doubt with the current virus conditions they will allow ships to sail.  They could always be proactive.....naw, that would be stepping up to do their job proficiently.  That said, they are failing our country big time, so one more announcement in that light will not hurt.  

The CDC has stood by its recommendations for resuming sailing, right from the April 9th update to the no sail order.  They list specific requirements needed to restart cruising, and require the cruise lines to promulgate "appropriate, actionable, and robust" plans to meet those requirements.  So, the CDC has met its mandate in its area of expertise, infectious disease.  Where is the cruise lines' "robust" and "actionable" plans in their area of expertise, operating cruise ships?

• Like 7

I don't believe the malarkey coming from the CDC. Their explanations do not cite accepted scientific proof and are patently circular. They argue all dogs are animals, and all cats are animals, therefore all dogs are cats.  

The management is a bunch of quacks. Judge for yourself, the head of the agency has said wearing a mask is more effective than a vaccine. Ever see anyone wearing a mask to prevent measles or polio? Both are airborne viruses.

Masks are good to control dust and pollens, but next to worthless against viruses. Walk through the perfume department or down the soap aisle in a market. Smell all the fragrance coming right through your mask, and those molecules are huge alongside a virus. Wearing a mask is Kabuki theater, and we are all performers in that show. Those who forcefully promote their use are cynically trying to show their "concern" to fight the virus, and wag their "shaming" finger at the actual science.

With the safety protocols compiled by the CLIA and the FDA accepted therapeutics, it will make cruising as safe as a trip to Home Depot. Because of close observation and  rapid testing the cruise industry in Europe has show sailing is safe, and able to deal with any positive tests in a safe and humane manner. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The CDC has stood by its recommendations for resuming sailing, right from the April 9th update to the no sail order.  They list specific requirements needed to restart cruising, and require the cruise lines to promulgate "appropriate, actionable, and robust" plans to meet those requirements.  So, the CDC has met its mandate in its area of expertise, infectious disease.  Where is the cruise lines' "robust" and "actionable" plans in their area of expertise, operating cruise ships?

Until someone shows definitive proof based on extensive testing, no one is going to convince me sailing on a cruise ship is any more “dangerous” when it comes to this virus than being in extremely close proximity of other people on an airplane, a train, a subway, a bus, etc. I know from your previous posts you are a big supporter of the CDC, but it appears the CDC just has a personal vendetta against the cruise industry. I still have not seen one study proving being on a cruise ship significantly increases your chances of catching this virus. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

cruises lines do have robust, actionable plans. that is why they are able to sail out of Germany and Italy. The cruise lines can re-use those sames plans to sail out of USA but it appears either the CDC or some other company does not like that plan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If the CDC waits until COVID is under control, there will be no cruise industry left in North America. Hopefully at some point people will realize the obvious, the overwhelming majority of people who catch this virus have little to no symptoms. I am not trying to downplay this virus, but the statistics indicate over time this virus is going to be like the flu virus. It isn’t going to go away, it will kill people every year, but it shouldn’t result in countries taking drastic measures like they have been doing this year. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I’m curious if you would feel different should your primary residence be located in an open state like Florida instead of one like New York.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

There's a huge difference between a noro outbreak and a COVID infection spread. 

Tell that to the media. This is why they call cruises "A Floating Petri dish" even thought you are much as likely to get noro on land than on a cruise. 

I think when cruises start back up they will be much safer than on land. Just think about it, is there any place else in the world where you know with confidence that everyone around you has tested negative for the virus? No its not fool proof, but it does catch most of the asymptomatic infections who spared it the most.  

24 minutes ago, shof515 said:

cruises lines do have robust, actionable plans. that is why they are able to sail out of Germany and Italy. The cruise lines can re-use those sames plans to sail out of USA but it appears either the CDC or some other company does not like that plan

The big difference between any plan formulated to meet European requirements and US requirements, is that the European model allows the ship to land both infected and quarantined (contact traced) individuals into the public health system, while the US model wants them to handle all infectious persons and quarantined persons privately.   While the Healthy Sail board has recommended using private facilities ashore rather than the use of full ships for this, and this is reasonable, have any contracts been let with service or facility providers to meet these needs, and to what scale?

And, I don't know that the EU has required the cruise lines there to submit action/response plans, or just agreements to meet the regulatory requirements.  Nothing I've seen released by any cruise line comes close to an action plan.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Until someone shows definitive proof based on extensive testing, no one is going to convince me sailing on a cruise ship is any more “dangerous” when it comes to this virus than being in extremely close proximity of other people on an airplane, a train, a subway, a bus, etc. I know from your previous posts you are a big supporter of the CDC, but it appears the CDC just has a personal vendetta against the cruise industry. I still have not seen one study proving being on a cruise ship significantly increases your chances of catching this virus. 

Why would studying cruise ships be a priority? It is such a small population. Close proximity to more people for a much longer exposure time is a given for cruise ships.