Start of cruising from Sydney & Brisbane?

drsel

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But USA is a rich country and they pay the lowest prices for cruises as we know.  Population base there.

I agree. It is population and competition. Another complicating factor is that cruise prices in USA are quoted without fees and taxes. Compare like with like, not a super deal with the brochure price. When I have compared a few cruises (not super 'deals') our prices were no higher. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Compare like with like, not a super deal with the brochure price.

When the exchange rate is high it's not such a bad deal, but when it's as low as now and you factor in the exchange rate, gratuities, fees and taxes, it rarely seems worth the trouble.

Although, I think what you see in the US is a lot more TAs willing to shave their margins by offering much more OBC than Aussie TAs.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. It is population and competition. Another complicating factor is that cruise prices in USA are quoted without fees and taxes. Compare like with like, not a super deal with the brochure price. When I have compared a few cruises (not super 'deals') our prices were no higher. 

Also have to calculate daily gratuities. Once you factor in all the costs the gap can close a lot 😅

A interesting article but realistic.

I think there’s going to more of the older ships go to scrap. There won’t be the business for them and maintenance will just make the a financial burden.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-cruise-industry-wont-return-to-prepandemic-levels-until-2030-analyst-113723336.html

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Today Federal Health Minister Hunt said that he expects Australians will be fully vaccinated by the end of October.

That would optimistically suggest a November start for local cruising.

Thanks for the info.

what about international tourists?

will the borders be open by Jan 2022.?

Very keen to see and experience the world's most expensive country for tourists!

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks for the info.

Very keen to see and experience the world's most expensive country for tourists!

Who knows but the Northern Territory is planning to spend big on advertising to attract overseas visitors.

Start saving your $US  for us . LOL

4 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks for the info.

If you are keen to see and experience the world's most expensive country for tourists, don't come to Australia. 🙂

I was very surprised to read your comment that implied Australia was the most expensive, so I did some research. My guess for the most expensive was Norway, but here is one list (from 2020) on the internet.

1. Switzerland

2. Norway

3. Iceland

4. Denmark

5. Sweden

6. Singapore

7. Japan

8. Bhutan

9. UK and USA

10. Italy and Australia.

Another report from 2020 lists Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Japan, Denmark, Bahamas, Luxembourg, Israel, Singapore, and South Korea. Australia is 16th on this list.

4 hours ago, drsel said:

Thanks for the info.

With the COVID vaccine now becoming available, I feel it is likely Australia will accept international visitors by late 2021. However, they might have to show proof of vaccination.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you are keen to see and experience the world's most expensive country for tourists, don't come to Australia. 🙂

I was very surprised to read your comment that implied Australia was the most expensive, so I did some research. My guess for the most expensive was Norway, but here is one list (from 2020) on the internet.

1. Switzerland

2. Norway

3. Iceland

4. Denmark

5. Sweden

6. Singapore

7. Japan

8. Bhutan

9. UK and USA

10. Italy and Australia.

Another report from 2020 lists Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Japan, Denmark, Bahamas, Luxembourg, Israel, Singapore, and South Korea. Australia is 16th on this list.

Scandinavia beats OZ for pricing. I am widely travelled and not a lot of difference in OZ/UK/USA re pricing, not including the big cities, where anything can happen. Sure Sydney is pricey but so is London, NY and San Francisco, captive audiences.

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

1. Switzerland

2. Norway

3. Iceland

4. Denmark

5. Sweden

6. Singapore

7. Japan

8. Bhutan

9. UK and USA

10. Italy and Australia.

Going on my own anecdotal evidence I would definitely rate Iceland, Norway and Japan as more expensive than Australia. Personally I found Denmark and Sweden to be on par with Australia except Danish car rentals are extremely cheap 😉. USA I would say 50/50 some things are cheaper than Australia but others once you add gratuities and taxes can end up more expensive than Australia😕. It also depends where you are in the country. States like Alabama and Mississippi were really cheap but then Florida and Hawaii was pretty expensive. I'm not surprised Bhutan is up there. I have looked into travelling there and they are determined you don't do it on the cheap 😂

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Scandinavia beats OZ for pricing. I am widely travelled and not a lot of difference in OZ/UK/USA re pricing, not including the big cities, where anything can happen. Sure Sydney is pricey but so is London, NY and San Francisco, captive audiences.

For the previous poster, 'drsel', to believe that Aust is the most expensive country for travellers, maybe he/she was simply looking at the number of dollars things cost in Aust but not considering the exchange rate between US and Aust dollars.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

For the previous poster, 'drsel', to believe that Aust is the most expensive country for travellers, maybe he/she was simply looking at the number of dollars things cost in Aust but not considering the exchange rate between US and Aust dollars.

Probably,  did not convert, i.e. US 75 cents = $1 Australian, roughly.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Plus not taking into account that there aren't taxes added to quoted prices, and tipping is not mandatory.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Plus not taking into account that there aren't taxes added to quoted prices, and tipping is not mandatory.

Like in Honolulu last year, restaurant bill, 3 boxes for gratuities, tick a box 25%, 20%, 15%.  OTT.  So Uncle Les gives them a $50 bill for the food and drink bill which was $45 and says...'Keep the change.' no tick a box, pure gold the looks on their faces. 10% is my standard tip, here and abroad, good enough I think.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the COVID vaccine now becoming available, I feel it is likely Australia will accept international visitors by late 2021. However, they might have to show proof of vaccination.

An interesting article today indicating that, even with vaccination, people coming to AUS/NZ may still need to quarantine.

None of the current vaccines provide immunity, they prevent an infection from progressing to full disease. Hence, people will still get infected — and still pass that infection onto others. 

So, add $3000 to our travel, and we do get expensive again.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Like in Honolulu last year, restaurant bill, 3 boxes for gratuities, tick a box 25%, 20%, 15%.  OTT.  So Uncle Les gives them a $50 bill for the food and drink bill which was $45 and says...'Keep the change.' no tick a box, pure gold the looks on their faces. 10% is my standard tip, here and abroad, good enough I think.

That’s only about 5% you tipped uncle Les.

I think the average now expected is 20% .
Then comes the taxes and levies parking ,resort fees,environmental and water contributions.

54 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

An interesting article today indicating that, even with vaccination, people coming to AUS/NZ may still need to quarantine.

None of the current vaccines provide immunity, they prevent an infection from progressing to full disease. Hence, people will still get infected — and still pass that infection onto others. 

So, add $3000 to our travel, and we do get expensive again.

These vaccines are still unknown and then there’s the changes in the virus.

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s only about 5% you tipped uncle Les.

I think the average now expected is 20% .
Then comes the taxes and levies parking ,resort fees,environmental and water contributions.

Hmmm.... a $5.00 tip for a $45.00 bill is just slightly over 11%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

My worst experience with tipping was last night of the season in Alaska where the girl was counting her trips loudly including our expected tip.  I can't remember what I tipped.  It used to be 10% without alcohol, but it wasn't what she was expecting!!  Like you Les, I start at 10% rounded up, not tick 15%.

And some of those suggested tips are calculated wrong, I saw one not long ago and I can recall the exact numbers but say the bill was $60 the 15% suggestion was $12.60, or a tad over 20% and the three suggestions on that bill