International Covid Passport?????

hcat

41 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Could you maybe explain a little more. When I click on the link it states that EU (not now EU, but that’s another story) cannot access the page. Thanks

25 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I had the same problem will not let EU citizens view

One airport Orlando is looking at covid passports producing it's own app and whether airlines and hotels will accept them.

similar discussions as we are having on here many different organisations are looking at this but I think it will fall down unless we can have 1 unifying covid passport for world travel. 

Hopefully they will accept the vaccination card. If it is shown alongside a passport. It’s not going to be PC but I think the airlines may follow Quantas and only allow travellers who have been vaccinated to fly. I would be a whole lot more confident about a 10 hour flight to MIA knowing my fellow passengers were safe to travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Hopefully they will accept the vaccination card. If it is shown alongside a passport.

Highly unlikely I would have thought.

The card being used has no security features and is trivial to forge if one were so inclined.

The only purpose is to track which one you had and to remind you to go for the 2nd shot...

To help explain a bit, maybe: The article linked above is about the Orlando, Florida, airport trying to be in front of the IATA Travel Pass Initiative (https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/) by developing their own system, with a phone app. Problem is that the airport has no authority or significant input outside of its own operations, so whatever they do will almost certainly be revised to match the IATA program, whenever it goes into effect.

And there are so many problems with the idea of the universal passport. Let’s start with the idea of having it be an app.  We all know that not everyone has a smart phone, that smart phones sometimes run out of charge, that sometimes there’s no signal or you’re out of data, etc. etc. Then there is the issue of the vaccination itself. They are still hedging their bets in regards to its ability to keep you from giving the virus to someone else. In other words you may not get Covid because you receive the vaccine, but you might still be a carrier.   And let’s not forget that the vaccine is contra indicated in a few cases. It’s not recommended if you are pregnant. It’s not recommended if you are allergic to any of its components. They are just so many hurdles along the way to making this “ vaccination  passport” a feasible idea.

Part of the problem is that all countries need to participate in this.

From the US, you can board almost any flight you want without any covid test or temp check.  Upon landing is where you would encounter a countries or states (like Hawaii) entry requirements where some require Covid tests and other requires you register that you are quarantining.  Unless something changed this December, you could board a flight from the US to Ireland and while you were supposed quarantine for two weeks, many continued on to France or England via non-flight skirting their requirements. 

Since the mid-1930s and what is today the "Yellow Card" or Carte Jaune, has provided this for international travelers.

The Carte Jaune or Yellow Card, officially called the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP), is an official vaccination record created by the World Health Organization (WHO). It is a kind of 'medical passport' that is recognised internationally and may be required for entry to certain countries where there are increased health risks for travellers. The Yellow Card should be kept in the holder's passport.

We last used ours traveling in Africa several years ago.  Post WWII in Europe the Yellow Card was asked for at borders before they asked for passports.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Since the mid-1930s and what is today the "Yellow Card" or Carte Jaune, has provided this for international travelers.

The Carte Jaune or Yellow Card, officially called the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP), is an official vaccination record created by the World Health Organization (WHO). It is a kind of 'medical passport' that is recognised internationally and may be required for entry to certain countries where there are increased health risks for travellers. The Yellow Card should be kept in the holder's passport.

We last used ours traveling in Africa several years ago.  Post WWII in Europe the Yellow Card was asked for at borders before they asked for passports.

I still have one and have it completed whenever I'm vaccinated, but haven't needed to show it when travelling for many years.

6 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The Yellow Card IS the internationally recognized record of vaccination. Yes, it can be forged. But it is and has been the record of vaccination for decades. It would be better if if contained a peel off sticker with manufacturer and lot number, but that's kind of archaic in this day and age...

BTW, this thread has now been visited by a troll who has only posted on vaccine related threads on CC for months. Ignoring and not replying has proven useful on other threads. Replying and applying logic will do nothing...

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I still have one and have it completed whenever I'm vaccinated, but haven't needed to show it when travelling for many years.

I have one too. Today really simple on renewal to attached any desired data to a passport.  Any document can be forged- so let's move on from that.  Not hard to set up.an app of some sort that you use to send the data to the airline, county or cruiseline or whomever.

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I have one too. Today really simple on renewal to attached any desired data to a passport.  Any document can be forged- so let's move on from that.  Not hard to set up.an app of some sort that you use to send the data to the airline, county or cruiseline or whomever.

Any document can be forged but apps are 100% secure? Besides, if international travel is going to require proof of vaccination, they are going to have to devise a system that isn't dependent upon technology not readily available to underdeveloped, poverty-stricken, and marginalized regions and populations of the world. 

On 12/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, Fouremco said:

Any document can be forged but apps are 100% secure? Besides, if international travel is going to require proof of vaccination, they are going to have to devise a system that isn't dependent upon technology not readily available to underdeveloped, poverty-stricken, and marginalized regions and populations of the world. 

Tattoos, maybe?

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 5:53 AM, sandancer said:

Hopefully they will accept the vaccination card. If it is shown alongside a passport. It’s not going to be PC but I think the airlines may follow Quantas and only allow travellers who have been vaccinated to fly. I would be a whole lot more confident about a 10 hour flight to MIA knowing my fellow passengers were safe to travel. 

Having the vaccine doesn't mean you are safe to travel.  It just means your symptoms will allegedly be less severe should you contact covid.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:16 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

I had one of those once upon a time.  No clue where it is now.

• 2 weeks later...

New Article  about Travel/Event Passports in local news...WFLA

https://www.wfla.com/ask-the-expert/travel/want-to-travel-in-2021-you-may-need-a-vaccine-passport/

We are becoming a bit concerned about the whole vaccine issue. Dh has a strong shellfish / coral allergy.  Recent news reported  those allergies could 

Indicate   potential for a serious alleric reaction to  two of the current vaccines.

We hope to hear more... 

We fly to Fla frequently and of course hope to cruise in 2022..using up our fcc!

18 hours ago, hcat said:

https://www.wfla.com/ask-the-expert/travel/want-to-travel-in-2021-you-may-need-a-vaccine-passport/

We are becoming a bit concerned about the whole vaccine issue. Dh has a strong shellfish / coral allergy.  Recent news reported  those allergies could 

Indicate   potential for a serious alleric reaction to  two of the current vaccines.

We hope to hear more... 

We fly to Fla frequently and of course hope to cruise in 2022..using up our fcc!

Does dh carry an Epipen?  Or need one if exposed to shellfish?  Hopefully there will be a lot more data on allergic reactions as the vaccines continue to be rolled out.  Then you can decide with your doctor if this is a risk or not.

"Spain’s health minister has said the country will create a vaccination registry that will include those who refuse to be vaccinated against Covid-19, yielding a document that could potentially be shared with other countries in Europe."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/29/spain-to-keep-registry-of-people-who-refuse-covid-vaccine

22 hours ago, hcat said:

We hope to hear more... 

I’m hoping there will be a system in place for those who cannot have the vaccine, or even those who’ve already had covid and are not recommended to be vaccinated. My son will be under age when we travel so he won’t be vaccinated. I have similar concerns.