Who remembers strolling musicians in dining room?

jsf

We started cruising in the 1991  and recall when musicians roamed the dining room and played requests. It was a treat to be so entertained while dining, can't seem to recall when they stopped doing this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jsf said:

We started cruising in the 1991  and recall when musicians roamed the dining room and played requests. It was a treat to be so entertained while dining, can't seem to recall when they stopped doing this.

I would guess  that they stopped around the time that they introduced anytime dining.

I remember a few young ladies playing the violin at the top of the stairs on the Independence in the main dining room . We were at the big table at the foot of the stairs in the lower dining room ( deck 3 if i remember correctly) .

It was very nicely done , but they did not roam the dining room.

I too am not a fan of the roaming waiters singing in the dining room . Some of them dont seem to be enjoying themselves either.

Our first cruise was in 1973.There was only one place to eat on the ship.

There were no lounges for entertainment. The only musicians were in the theater.

It was a much simpler time,no fitness centers,no shore excursions .The only outside activities were shuffleboard,skeet shooting and a pool.

No towel hogs .

This was a Cunard ship.

15 hours ago, gmerick said:

Could be the cruise industry outgrew the "Strolling Strings".  in 1991 the largest cruise ship was Sovereign of the Seas.  (unless you wish to quibble about the SS France / SS Norway).

Loved both Sovereign and Norway did both multiple times , our honeymoon was on Norway on the new cabins added on to make Norway larger that was 1991. 

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks goodness that was before my time. Wouldn't want that coming by my table while trying to eat and possibly talking to others.

The Paul Gauguin used to send their "Gauguines" around the main dining room on the ship to serenade the passengers while they ate dinner.  It was supposed to be very Polynesian we guess, but it was awkward to say the least. 

• Like 1

I remember the musicians,  the baked Alaska, reserved deck chairs (1971 Oceanic) where your deck steward brought your afternoon tea to you, and so much more.  Yes, I'm dating myself. While I miss some things I don't miss boarding in a dress, the tiny cabins with port holes, etc.  You get some things and lose others.  Mostly I just enjoy being at sea.  Someone is making my meals, cleaning my cabin, entertaining me.  I thank all those people. Can't wait to sail again.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I remember them and I hated them. I like to have a nice, quite dinner where I can have a relaxing conversation with my tablemates. That can't be done with someone playing music 3 feet away from you.

As the OP I forgot to mention those pesky camera people interupting dinner every night for pics

13 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I remember the musicians,  the baked Alaska, reserved deck chairs (1971 Oceanic) where your deck steward brought your afternoon tea to you, and so much more.  Yes, I'm dating myself. While I miss some things I don't miss boarding in a dress, the tiny cabins with port holes, etc.  You get some things and lose others.  Mostly I just enjoy being at sea.  Someone is making my meals, cleaning my cabin, entertaining me.  I thank all those people. Can't wait to sail again.

AH! Home Lines, fond memories of cruising from the days of reserved deck chairs. and deck stewards.

19 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks goodness that was before my time. Wouldn't want that coming by my table while trying to eat and possibly talking to others.

Actually back then you they didn't throw the food in front of you all at once. There was actually time between each course and that's when the musicians came around to the table. It was very civilized unlike the bums rush service we receive now.