The Crew Getting Vaccinated

miched

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Agree but then why are the Canadian snowbirds getting vaccinated in some places.  
We live in a rural county and so far, from what is reported 1clinic received 100 doses  2 weeks ago and tonight the news said the hospitals in the county (3) received 300 doses which will go to health care workers.  Glad that some of the health care workers will be vaccinated. But so far we have received vaccine for less than 1% of the population and there is no structure in place to register for or find who may have the vaccine.  First responders have not been given any idea of when they can be vaccinated. 

I've this a lot of personal thought, reading so many articles provided here as well as on my own.  I've moved to the thought that, if one is here whether a snowbird, potential crew member, whoever, it behooves us a society to vaccinate all who want to be.  Regardless of getting on a ship, what matters most is we offer the ability to reduce the spread of this dreadful virus.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I've this a lot of personal thought, reading so many articles provided here as well as on my own.  I've moved to the thought that, if one is here whether a snowbird, potential crew member, whoever, it behooves us a society to vaccinate all who want to be.  Regardless of getting on a ship, what matters most is we offer the ability to reduce the spread of this dreadful virus.

I too have given this a lot of thought as a Florida resident.  Our county, which includes where we live-Naples, was allocated 3,000 vaccines this week which sold out in a nanosecond.  I agree that it is best to inoculate as many people as possible but I sure would like to think some consideration would be given to those of us paying county/city taxes but alas that’s not the case.  We’ve been careful here as well as on Cape Cod so we’ll be patient until our time comes.  I’m in my 60s, use a daily inhaler, Breo, as I have asthma.  Sadly it means nothing, first come first served.

37 minutes ago, Oville said:

I too have given this a lot of thought as a Florida resident.  Our county, which includes where we live-Naples, was allocated 3,000 vaccines this week which sold out in a nanosecond.  I agree that it is best to inoculate as many people as possible but I sure would like to think some consideration would be given to those of us paying county/city taxes but alas that’s not the case.  We’ve been careful here as well as on Cape Cod so we’ll be patient until our time comes.  I’m in my 60s, use a daily inhaler, Breo, as I have asthma.  Sadly it means nothing, first come first served.

Are you positive?  I thought it is front line hospital staff, long term facility residents and staff, and anyone over 65 years old.  Are you saying anyone at any age can be vaccinated at this time?

Edited by jagoffee

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

While we agree frequently, on this I’m of the opinion that citizens of the country,  state or county should have priority.  If there is excess after that then open vaccinations to others.  Unfortunately, at least in Texas, there isn’t a register so finding  the vaccines is like finding a needle i a haystack.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Oville said:

If that is what is happening - truly shocking.  Understand organization at the county level by prioritization is with the state.

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I agree! Every vaccination on the planet is a win, even if it's not you. If you are delayed in getting vaccinated, count yourself as lucky that you can see how it unfolds before you get your shot. I appreciate the "guinea pigs" immensely but am also happy I don't have the opportunity to be one.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Obviously, those countries that went into to this with a coordinated plan are making strong progress quickly.  Best example is Israel, where about 12% of the total population, and approaching 50% of 65+ have had the first jab. 

Maybe when they are up to 100% of those who desire it the crew can head there. 🙄

Population of Israel is 8.6 million in 8500 Sq Miles, about the size of NJ.  The population of just the NYC metro area is 20 million in 322 Sq Miles.    I am happy for Israel.  But the logistical problems are at very different scales.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Population of Israel is 8.6 million in 8500 Sq Miles, about the size of NJ.  The population of just the NYC metro area is 20 million in 322 Sq Miles.    I am happy for Israel.  But the logistical problems are are very different scales.

Exactly. So metro areas with large populations in limited real estate could be vaccinating in similar ratios. 

It's not even close.

14 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Why the heck would florida vaccinate crew members?

They aren't US citizens, they aren't Florida residents, and the cruise lines are not US companies.

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking too.  Also we tend to think here on CC about cruising being Florida-centric maybe particularly in the winter,  But much of the cruise industry has ships and crews based worldwide not just in Florida.  So vaccinating crew on ships just in Florida does very little for cruise industry operations resuming overall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Exactly. So metro areas with large populations in limited real estate could be vaccinating in similar ratios. 

It's not even close.

Except in the US there is also a severe limit in the number of doses right now, ratios aside.  And doses of course not being used. And inconsistent bureaucracy.  In Israel 12% of the population is 1 million first doses in a small area with one government.  That is doable.  If we want the same ratio in the US, ie., 12 % of the population, then we would need about 40 million first doses administered by 50 different governments.  So far only about 5 million people have had a first dose in the entire US.  Yes it is not even close.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Except in the US there is also a severe limit in the number of doses right now, ratios aside.  And doses of course not being used. And inconsistent bureaucracy.  In Israel 12% of the population is 1 million first doses in a small area with one government.  That is doable.  If we want the same ratio in the US, ie., 12 % of the population, then we would need about 40 million first doses administered by 50 different governments.  So far only about 5 million people have had a first dose in the entire US.  Yes it is not even close.

That is exactly my point.

So how long after a good percentage of folks have the vaccination do you think the Govt lifts their thumb off of the people?  CDC Travel restrictions, Concerts, Funerals, etc?  

I'm not holding my breath on that one.  

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

not any one of our 50+ governments is anywhere close to 10%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

So how long after a good percentage of folks have the vaccination do you think the Govt lifts their thumb off of the people?  CDC Travel restrictions, Concerts, Funerals, etc?  

I'm not holding my breath on that one.  

The answer really is "which government?".  Many if not all restrictions that affect me directly have been at the local, county and state level where I live in PA.  No federal restrictions apply except whatever the CDC is doing like making it near impossible to cruise. I do feel affected by some federal impact on international travel and borders.  But mostly states and their governors and health departments rule the roost.  Since the pandemic started.  And they are all doing their own thing.  Same now with vaccine rules and distribution and priorities.  I find it interesting to watch NFL games where some states have fans in the stands and some do not.  Just the stupid people cutouts!  

21 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Are you positive?  I thought it is front line hospital staff, long term facility residents and staff, and anyone over 65 years old.  Are you saying anyone at any age can be vaccinated at this time?

I thought that it had been established that Florida has a policy of frontline hospital staff and those 65 and over are now eligible to receive vaccines on a first come first serve basis.  Obviously those in long care facilities are not included in the drive up vaccines.

2 hours ago, Oville said:

I thought that it had been established that Florida has a policy of frontline hospital staff and those 65 and over are now eligible to receive vaccines on a first come first serve basis.  Obviously those in long care facilities are not included in the drive up vaccines.

I misunderstood what you meant about first come, first serviced.  You meant it within the first group. 

Since 80% of the deaths that are reported as COVID are people that are over 65 years old, I think it is good that they are included.  Most states are using 75 years old as the starting point.  I believe some states are not yet including them in the first group.  

33 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I misunderstood what you meant about first come, first serviced.  You meant it within the first group. 

Since 80% of the deaths that are reported as COVID are people that are over 65 years old, I think it is good that they are included.  Most states are using 75 years old as the starting point.  I believe some states are not yet including them in the first group.  

No problem but there are so few doses available anywhere in the States we will continue to be extremely careful.  We live in a county of well over 300,000 people, this weeks vaccines doses for drive up, 3,000.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:13 AM, verizon said:

This really upset me as their own citizens are fighting for the one dose and it was given to foreigner.

This was worded a little strongly, by using the term "foreigner", but I totally get your point.  Vaccines are being distributed to each state based on their population.  I don't think that snow birds are counted in those population numbers.  Therefore, actual citizens of Florida are at a real disadvantage, as the percentage of them who will be able to get the vaccine is decreased by the number of non-residents that secure a spot in line.  That really is not fair.  My comments apply whether it is someone from another country, or simply someone from another state.  Other states like Arizona are likely having similar problems (or are they checking residence?). 

And if you really want to rile up people, consider that at least these snowbirds are here legally.  Dosages are also not adjusted to account for people here illegally, which is a pretty large number for states like California, Texas, and Arizona (at least I'm presuming not - please correct me if I am wrong).  I'm not going to get into the moral questions this represents, just stating that allocated doses of vaccine to states affected like this are not adjusted accordingly so the residents of those states are at an unfair disadvantage.

Friends in Ft Myers Fl ( here 50 % of year, homeowners and taxpayers) lucked out and  got their 1st dose and have appt for second dose. If they were in  NY they would never have a chance.

Very diff priorities up there!

Newspapers  today reported Srs sleeping in their cars overnight in Citrus Co  Fl,  so they could be in line for a 9 am first come first served drive through clinic.  Others arrived at 8:30  am and were sent away  including  2 who were on a cruise ship with Covid and reported on their ordeal

We click onto various sites each day but no luck yet.  We are now  pre registered at a  local hospital..and hopeful that it will work out.  Still trying to register elsewhere as another potential.

We will keep trying..sooner the better as Covid spreads.

As I understand it, the results of the US 2020 census have not been published as yet, so I'm just wondering what population numbers the distribution is actually based on. Census Bureau estimates? I imagine that whatever base numbers were used, there were additional doses slated for every state to account for possible population growth. Then there are the doses that aren't used because of the anti-vaxxers and others who will choose not to be vaccinated. I doubt that anyone will be deprived of a vaccination because of snowbirds. That said, I would consider limiting doses to state or county residents to be a very reasonable initiative.

• Like 1