New Covid-19 Cruise Ship Rules

Just now, smokeybandit said:

There will be lawyers lining up to defend people who don't want to or can't get the vaccine should RC go that route.

Whatever and good luck with that.  Lawyers for the cruise line and those who are vaccinated and looking for some degree of protection can employ their own horde of lawyers too.  We’ll just have to see how this very hypothetical suggestion plays out over the next year or so.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

How do you feel about the new rules that have been displayed on Quantum?

• Tracelets - More curious how this actually works.
  • Limited time in the pools . I just like sitting around, getting in a pool very seldom, so ok
  • Limited tables for dining.  I'm still eating so it's good.
  • Temperature checks. Do this now going many places, like Disney. Don't really think it works well, but it's a small inconvenience.
  • Limited seating in the theatre Never really see packed theartre before, and with less people on the ship, see this as no issues
  • Muster 2.0 This is awesome
  • 1 metre social distancing Do this now, so no big deal
  • Covid testing before and after the cruise Ok with before the cruise, if done by cruiseline, but after the cruise seems a little overkill, but I'm ok if needed to get on the ship

Too strict, or fair?

I have already been on a vacation, with stricter rules, and was just fine.  I'm not giving up my life for two years, because of some rules that might be overkills, and some that really is no big deal as long as the capacity on the ship is less, than it's ok

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There will be lawyers lining up to defend people who don't want to or can't get the vaccine should RC go that route.

Those lawyers will fail. Look at all the clubs and even bars in name the American city refusing to let groups of guys in without girls.  Why has no lawsuit ever been filed? Or if it was it never got anywhere?. I know who guys who have left new york where I used to live because they can't get into many places and it has turned them into woman haters it really has. Surely they would sue if they could?

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It doesn't say much for the vaccines if you still have to take all those precautions in an environment where everyone is vaccinated.

Have to disagree here. It says a lot for the vaccines if indeed we are allowed to resume cruising because of them. At the same time the effectiveness of the vaccines, for the long term, can only be determined by initially keeping safeguards in place and gradually removing them when properly determined.

For us, the rules and restrictions are fine. As long as itineraries are not compromised and the ability to tour, even if only ship's excursions are available, we are a go.  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

14 hours ago, hallux said:

I get that they're trying to minimize risk of infection, but that will need to come with relaxed refund policies as they relate to someone testing positive.

I don't  see why they need to relax the refund policy.   

Before Covid,  many  passengers were  diagnosed with an illness or disease and  had to cancel a cruise. (I speak from experience).   Many lose  their $$, some have insurance coverage and  can get the  cruise fare back.  I paid for insurance when I booked and  got back all my money just a week or two prior  to sailing.   (I did lose the money for a non refundable pre-cruise hotel room. ) 

If anything, perhaps the cruise line  can offer to transfer funds to a future  sailing. 

M

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I don't  see why they need to relax the refund policy.   

Before Covid,  many  passengers were  diagnosed with an illness or disease and  had to cancel a cruise. (I speak from experience).   Many lose  their $$, some have insurance coverage and  can get the  cruise fare back.  I paid for insurance when I booked and  got back all my money just a week or two prior  to sailing.   (I did lose the money for a non refundable pre-cruise hotel room. ) 

If anything, perhaps the cruise line  can offer to transfer funds to a future  sailing. 

M

There is a huge difference between a passenger getting sick and a passenger being  told that they can’t sail. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is a huge difference between a passenger getting sick and a passenger being  told that they can’t sail. 

My bad.  You are correct. They are not the same.  (Understand that everyone I know who  has been diagnosed with Covid, suffered some medical issues.  Three have died.)   

To clarify - Can't sail because they won't get a vaccine or can't sail because they are Covid positive?  Or maybe there is no difference. 

M

23 hours ago, ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE said:

How do you feel about the new rules that have been displayed on Quantum?

• Tracelets
  • Limited time in the pools
  • Limited tables for dining
  • Temperature checks
  • Limited seating in the theatre
  • Muster 2.0
  • 1 metre social distancing
  • Covid testing before and after the cruise

Too strict, or fair?

You forgot the dirty little secret rule that will be announced in a month or two - requiring vaccinations! 

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Until they get hit with a class action ADA lawsuit

It will go nowhere. With all the restrictions that have been put in place on people and busnesses at this time you think the cruise lines are going to get slapped for trying to keep their passengers safe? 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why do you even bring this up? 🙄

Out of concern for the poster..if his video was against the rules he would have time to remove it before the

moderators caught it...nothing but love for this nice young man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm fine with a covid vaccine mandate just as long as they make all other modern vaccines mandatory, too.

Other things that people get vaccinated for aren't a global health issue.  If it bothers you then wait several years until the vaccine is no longer a requirement

• Like 3

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Other things that people get vaccinated for aren't a global health issue.  If it bothers you then wait several years until the vaccine is no longer a requirement

I have no issue with the vaccine itself. I just have an issue with the utter hypocrisy surrounding the vaccine and covid in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Have to disagree here. It says a lot for the vaccines if indeed we are allowed to resume cruising because of them. At the same time the effectiveness of the vaccines, for the long term, can only be determined by initially keeping safeguards in place and gradually removing them when properly determined.

For us, the rules and restrictions are fine. As long as itineraries are not compromised and the ability to tour, even if only ship's excursions are available, we are a go.  

Just the fact that cruising resumes says nothing about the vaccines. It is only when other restrictions can, and are, removed will it demonstrate that the vaccines are providing the desired affect.

I do however feel this demonstrates the benefit of 100% vaccination requirement. If there are exceptions and an outbreak occurs on a ship, the first thing the skeptics will point to is vaccine failure.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just the fact that cruising resumes says nothing about the vaccines. It is only when other restrictions can, and are, removed will it demonstrate that the vaccines are providing the desired affect.

I do however feel this demonstrates the benefit of 100% vaccination requirement. If there are exceptions and an outbreak occurs on a ship, the first thing the skeptics will point to is vaccine failure.

And there will be positives on board, even with 100% vaccinations since the vaccine won't be 100% effective (especially in older people) and there will be false positives.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm fine with a covid vaccine mandate just as long as they make all other modern vaccines mandatory, too.

It is ridiculous to cast the same net onto every infectious disease and every available vaccine. Covid is a current world health crisis. When the day comes that it isn't then any vaccine requirement will go away. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And there will be positives on board, even with 100% vaccinations since the vaccine won't be 100% effective (especially in older people) and there will be false positives.

Do you know the difference between a case and an outbreak?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Until they get hit with a class action ADA lawsuit

With the massive suspension of civil liberties that we have seen in the last year and with many courts siding, with few exceptions, with public health officials  don't bet on these lawsuits going anywhere fast.  

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Just watched the video.  I actually dont mind reservations for the gym.  I used to hate trying to find a treadmill or elliptical and people not wiping down equipment.  I have friends in St. Louis area telling me that one of the gyms requires this and its nice because it isn't crowded.  I dont care about the covid testing pre cruise since I have already done this pre travel and it is not the end of the world.  I didn't see the current travel rule where you have to have a negative covid test 72 hours before coming back into US or proof of recovery from virus within 90 days.  And I know Canada has similar restrictions.  Also, I didn't see anything about vaccines.  I dont like hottubs or pool on ship so really dont care about those restrictions.  Looking at everything, overall for me it limits my time to enjoy the ship freely and spontaneously and I would probably spend my time in my room maskless or in a shaded area outside isolated with mask on.  This is not that big of an issue if you have a suite or balcony because you could just hang there.  I also didn't see anything about excursions.  I think all of these restrictions for thousands of dollars will make a lot of people rethink cruises and go to land vacations.  I'm going to Cozumel next month to stay at an AI and plan to visit Chankanaab and Punta Sur on our own with a rental car and our masks.  Yes, maybe we need these restrictions for 3000 people inside a ship.  But maybe it isnt worth paying thousands of dollars when there are other places and ways to vacation.  I love cruises and really miss it and I am hoping that this will only be temporary.

You are correct. I’m not willing  to spend thousands of dollars to hang out on the balcony in my room. I have more sq ft at home and a yard. I can actually get in the car and drive to a wine vineyard or the beach. There is no reason to book a cruise under these conditions.

• Like 6

I think the restrictions/policies are reasonable. Not fun, not my ideal way to cruise, but acceptable. Now, that being said, I would feel very different if it weren't for 2 other facts: 1. Where I live, we have restrictions EVERYWHERE, so Royal's policies aren't much different from where I live. If I have to deal with masks and social distancing, I'd rather be on a cruise ship than stuck at home. My wife and I have seen 3 cruises cancelled and 3 land-based vacations cancelled, too, so enough is enough. 2. The travel industry is getting hit with more bad news all the time, including a new travel ban set to begin tomorrow that will effectively stop most international travel to and from the US. If the cruise lines want to implement these measures and it's a choice of staying home or cruising with them, then bring on the masks! I know others feel differently. Everyone has to make up his/her own mind.

• Like 3