Laundry facilities on Oasis class ships

shadbrew

5 minutes ago, coordinator23 said:

I don’t understand why Royal doesn’t include laundry facilities for guests. I too am Diamond+, and I have done some “hand” laundry on board. Having said that, my first Alaska Cruise Tour was with Princess. I was so grateful that they had self serve laundry. We began phase two of our trip with clean clothes. 
Made the mistake of cruising with celebrity the next time to Alaska. No laundry facilities. Wasted time on shore doing laundry. Will not cruise with Royal or Celebrity on a long cruise/cruise tour again. 
(Did Panama Canal with Princess partly for this reason. When you fly to port, baggage becomes an issue)

Simple answer...laundry facilities take space that a cabin that generates revenue occupies

I realize laundry facilities take up space, however, from my observation they also generate revenue.  You pay for the use of the machines and laundry products. We have since gone on several Princess cruises, so the availability of a laundry facility certainly generated revenue for them. The facilities are roughly equal to two inside rooms on each floor. I have found, at times, that they are kind of like the Diamond Lounge without the perks.  You meet people from all walks of life and cruising experiences. Great place to talk about upcoming ports and cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coordinator23 said:

I realize laundry facilities take up space, however, from my observation they also generate revenue.  You pay for the use of the machines and laundry products. We have since gone on several Princess cruises, so the availability of a laundry facility certainly generated revenue for them. The facilities are roughly equal to two inside rooms on each floor. I have found, at times, that they are kind of like the Diamond Lounge without the perks.  You meet people from all walks of life and cruising experiences. Great place to talk about upcoming ports and cruises. 

two inside cabins on week long cruise would be somewhere between 3 and 4 thousand dollars plus whatever the guest spend on board.  I doubt that a laundry facility would generate that much revenue.  

Princess by and large also offers longer itineraries that Royal where the typical itinerary is 7 days or less and laundry is not an issue for the majority.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, shadbrew said:

FYI:  Additionally, upon attending some Mix and Mingle meetings a year or two ago, I remembered several people were inquiring about whether it would be feasible to have public use of a few washers and dryers onboard because RCCL frowns on guests using their balconies to dry their clothes.  

If the conversions you were having with other CC members on board was to imply having RCCL allow guest to use the onboard Laundry facilities themselves that would pretty much be a non starter. There's absolutely no way a cruiseline would allow passengers to use back of the house facilities and to even suggest that borders on the ridiculous. That would be similar to allowing passengers to use the ship's galley facilities to make their own food. 

RCCL has a solution to the problem; you have to pay for your laundry to be done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Over the last 4 Decades Royal Ships pack more people in them but actual public square feet per person(open space) has also increased from 20's, 30s, 40's to more then double what was 30yrs ago. Couple Decades ago that was a selling point with Royal... Wash and Fold should be called Wash in HOT, Fade and Fold. Had many my Tshirts and underwear come back couple shades lighter. But being on B3B and longer I still use it. Adding self service Machines, hasn't happened yet it's never going to.

V/F/O class ships have all had cabins added to them during dry docks. I haven't seen any additions to public space.

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

V/F/O class ships have all had cabins added to them during dry docks. I haven't seen any additions to public space.

Even with added Cabin's Public Space average square ft  per person is Double what was in 1970-80's

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Even with added Cabin's Public Space average square ft  per person is Double what was in 1970-80's

I'm not going argue against that point. I was on the Pacific Princess (original Love Boat). It was pretty cramped in there compared to today's ships. My point was that cabins have been added since the original builds cutting down on public space. I don't think you can argue against that point.

3 hours ago, coordinator23 said:

I don’t understand why Royal doesn’t include laundry facilities for guests. I too am Diamond+, and I have done some “hand” laundry on board. Having said that, my first Alaska Cruise Tour was with Princess. I was so grateful that they had self serve laundry. We began phase two of our trip with clean clothes. 
Made the mistake of cruising with celebrity the next time to Alaska. No laundry facilities. Wasted time on shore doing laundry. Will not cruise with Royal or Celebrity on a long cruise/cruise tour again. 
(Did Panama Canal with Princess partly for this reason. When you fly to port, baggage becomes an issue)

This cracks me up  What does your C&A status have to do with doing some hand laundry? 

M

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

two inside cabins on week long cruise would be somewhere between 3 and 4 thousand dollars plus whatever the guest spend on board.  I doubt that a laundry facility would generate that much revenue.  

Princess by and large also offers longer itineraries that Royal where the typical itinerary is 7 days or less and laundry is not an issue for the majority.

Plus all the headaches of people doing crazy stuff with washers/dryers that lead to plumbing issues too!

Not worth it!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 2:39 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

This cracks me up  What does your C&A status have to do with doing some hand laundry? 

M

What cracks me up are people who don't want a laundry because they aren't using one while on vacation... then they turn around and teach you how to wash clothes in the bathroom sink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 3:15 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Plus all the headaches of people doing crazy stuff with washers/dryers that lead to plumbing issues too!

Not worth it!

Agree, look at Plumbing and what people Flush. Always getting clogged up with personal stuff. Besides Public Laundry Facilities on Royal never going happen anyway

Admittedly, we have been to a few ports way too many times. When on long cruises on lines that we don't get free laundry,  we know where the port convenient laundry mats are located.  It's been a while since we used one of these spots, but nice to have a back up plan. On short cruises, it's usually easier to hand wash as the laundry(or should that be---Stateroom Attendant) doesn't always returns items so quick.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What cracks me up are people who don't want a laundry because they aren't using one while on vacation... then they turn around and teach you how to wash clothes in the bathroom sink.

Very true!    Laundry is the last thing I want to do when on vacation.   But I do like to wash our bathing suits from the salty caribbean sea in the sink or shower.    a problem I wish I had right now!!!

• Like 1

Everybody has a story...I tend to book a few cruises in a row, sometimes 25-30 days total in length. I’m a self confessed laundry snob, and won’t send my clothes out to have somebody else do them. I pack a clothesline and magnetic hooks (love those magnetic walls), and I have doing my laundry down to a science. I have cruises for extended periods of time on other cruise lines, and the laundries on board do come in handy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Probably part of the reason that RCCL doesn't install public laundry facilities is the the fact that a dryer is a fire hazard if the lint filter is not cleaned out regularly. While in the Navy we usually had a fire in the laundry at least once a trip when the lint in the lint filter caught fire. 

Plus there is the obvious revenue difference between a paying cabin and a self serve laundromat. 

6 hours ago, Subman738 said:

Probably part of the reason that RCCL doesn't install public laundry facilities is the the fact that a dryer is a fire hazard if the lint filter is not cleaned out regularly. While in the Navy we usually had a fire in the laundry at least once a trip when the lint in the lint filter caught fire. 

Plus there is the obvious revenue difference between a paying cabin and a self serve laundromat. 

Not buying that reason. RC would clean those filters in the passenger laundry room like they do the ones in ships laundry room.  Self laundry works fine on Princess. But we never used it on any of our Princess cruises. 

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with doing your own laundry on a ship.

We have use the washer/dryers  plenty of times on the ships that have it.

On RC I wash things in the shower and put on balcony to dry.

Not sure why people all of a sudden become to good to do laundry just because they are on a cruise?

38 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

There is nothing wrong with doing your own laundry on a ship.

We have use the washer/dryers  plenty of times on the ships that have it.

On RC I wash things in the shower and put on balcony to dry.

Not sure why people all of a sudden become to good to do laundry just because they are on a cruise?

For us it's all about personal choices and nothing to do with all of a sudden becoming to good to do laundry. 

10 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not buying that reason. RC would clean those filters in the passenger laundry room like they do the ones in ships laundry room.  Self laundry works fine on Princess. But we never used it on any of our Princess cruises. 

Well, it's part of the reason.  The ship's main laundry has dryers that exhaust into a common "room" where the lint filters are, which are cleaned about twice a day, and you get about a 35 gallon trash can full of lint each time.  They are not individual dryer filters that can clog after about 2 uses.  Also, the dryer ducts that take the hot air out of the ship are large enough to crawl through, and this is done on a monthly basis to clean them.  The self-service laundries have much smaller ducts, so are more likely to build up lint in corners.  Finally, the main laundry ducts have steam smothering systems, which introduce steam into the duct to extinguish any fire, while the smaller self-service laundries do not have this feature.  The self-service laundries are a man-hour quicksand pit, taking up more maintenance hours due to abuse by passengers than nearly any equipment outside the engine room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2