CDC requires face masks in ALL public areas. Pool side too...

Sam.Seattle

4 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Exactly.......  I don't get the big deal about it anyway.  I wear a mask 10 hours a day 5-6 days a week.  Just part of life now and have no issue with doing the same on a ship.

By now, wearing a mask is kind of like wearing my seat belt.   Ordering doordash is like ordering from Amazon.   I think it would be kind of uncomfortable at first when we don't have to wear a mask with people around and eating again at the restaurants...

• Like 1

I wonder if the pools themselves will actually be open when cruising begins again. Right now pool usage at hotels and fitness facilities are highly controlled with limited capacity. It's possible we'll find the pools closed during the first month or so of the restart. As others have mentioned, this would make our veranda much more appealing since we wouldn't need to worry about mask issues on our veranda.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We have not used the pool in the last 10 cruises so this has no effect for us. What happens if you do not wear a mask? Will the mask police make us walk the plank.  Also the CDC has no authority outside of the US so cruising in Europe will be under different rules. We will cruise this year if the cruises sail, and those too afraid can just stay home, locked down somewhere, we will not miss you.

The mask police (i.e. crew members) will probably enforce, since the CDC indicated that they will have observers on some cruises.  Repeated value might mean early departure.

EU has similar rules. Enforced by those countries.

8 minutes ago, nocl said:

The mask police (i.e. crew members) will probably enforce, since the CDC indicated that they will have observers on some cruises.  Repeated value might mean early departure.

EU has similar rules. Enforced by those countries.

If the hard working crew need to be mask police, that will be sad.  They will have more than enough to do, hopefully the grown up cruisers will do the right thing.

• Like 2

We wear a mask whenever we are unable to maintain the appropriate distance, or are indoors in public spaces.   We haven’t eaten at an indoor restaurant since Mar 2020. If you have to wear a mask on a cruise at the pool and around the upper outdoor decks, I find it hard to justify feeling safe eating in a dining room or drinking at an indoor bar. I can walk, bike, and swim at home without a mask and my lanai furniture is much more comfortable than the new “modern luxury” balcony furniture.  It would be much cheaper for us to order Door Dash and takeout for a week at home then have to worry about getting close to people, having our temperatures taken, or being concerned about who is eating at the next table.  We would love to sail, but we want it to be a relaxing vacation experience.  Celebrity is holding our cash as FCCs, but we are starting to ask ourselves if the $/cruising is worth uncertainty and frustration for the next couple of years.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If the hard working crew need to be mask police, that will be sad.  They will have more than enough to do, hopefully the grown up cruisers will do the right thing.

If the passengers don't follow the rules and put the ships conditional sailing certification at risk then they will.

Agree that it would be said if the passenger choose to not follow the cruise line rules, but it would not be the first time.

I'm waiting until mask requirements are gone and I see how cruises will be when they come back.  I'm really itching to cruise but too many other places to travel where I can walk down a street without a mask.  And you know, 6 months after the vaccine is widely available, most restrictions will be gone.  People want to forget.  Cruising as I've known it will be back for the most part and that's what I'll wait for,  

And no, not afraid and yes, I've traveled, I eat out in restaurants, go to the gym, go swimming, biking and running.......  Just not willing to spend the money until I don't have to wear a mask and we see if we can get off the ship on our own, room service is a go, we can sit at a bar without a mask.   They haven't reduced the prices and I'm not willing to pay inflated prices for a watered down product.

I can't wait to hear about peoples cruises but not for me this year.  Besides, we have too many trips already planned so we couldn't fit it in.... lol.

Happy sails

• Like 3

Cruises won’t be leaving the US without a ‘consent decree’ from the CDC and state governments that will include what happens if something goes wrong. Cruise lines won’t take the risk of not being able to easily return to home ports if necessary, and the price of that guarantee will be their agreement with health and safety protocols.     If booked cruisers decide not to cruise because they don’t want to wear a mask, get vaccinated, or whatever else they come up with, they will be doing the cruise lines a favor as the lines seek to reduce occupancy and not make refunds. 

1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

We wear a mask whenever we are unable to maintain the appropriate distance, or are indoors in public spaces.   We haven’t eaten at an indoor restaurant since Mar 2020. If you have to wear a mask on a cruise at the pool and around the upper outdoor decks, I find it hard to justify feeling safe eating in a dining room or drinking at an indoor bar. I can walk, bike, and swim at home without a mask and my lanai furniture is much more comfortable than the new “modern luxury” balcony furniture.  It would be much cheaper for us to order Door Dash and takeout for a week at home then have to worry about getting close to people, having our temperatures taken, or being concerned about who is eating at the next table.  We would love to sail, but we want it to be a relaxing vacation experience.  Celebrity is holding our cash as FCCs, but we are starting to ask ourselves if the $/cruising is worth uncertainty and frustration for the next couple of years.

Agree 100%.Where is the science in wearing a mask out in the sun, (where the virus is killed within a minute or two), vs. sitting at dinner inside without a mask?  Does the virus take a rest when you are seated at dinner??

Need to be scientific and logical....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tnt10 said:

Agree 100%.Where is the science in wearing a mask out in the sun, (where the virus is killed within a minute or two), vs. sitting at dinner inside without a mask?  Does the virus take a rest when you are seated at dinner??

Need to be scientific and logical....

The science is actually quite clear.  First of all in the summer sun the length of time for the virus to degrade is about six minutes vs 19 minutes in winter sun and 125 minutes without sunlight.

The problem is that it is now known that the virus mostly transmit by droplets and aerosols directly from person to person.  For someone talking loudly without a mask up to 12 feet with the droplets taking far less than 6 minutes or for that matter even one minute to travel. 

Now clearly there are advantages to being outdoors but more from the point of view of air currents and winds impact upon virus dispersal.  With the original strain it was felt that a viral load requiring extended contact in proximity of the infected person was needed.  With the new B.117 strain, which is more infectious, the view is that transmission can take place with much less time in close proximity and that transmission can take place with even passing contact.

The science is also very clear that masks reduce the distance that the virus will travel from the infected person, and will reduce the amount of virus reaching a potential recipient.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Geez... here we go again!

Literally that ship has sailed already 🙄

Instead of spreading rumors and incorrect interpretations of the regulations all you need to do is to look at the ships already sailing. TUI, MSC, Costa, Aida, Hapag-Lloyd and even Royal Caribbean have done or are doing  cruises under the covid guidelines. Some of them for months already.

The regulations and procedures are 99 % the same on all of them. And although they are not sailing under the jurisdiction of the CDC, they are also pretty identical to the CDC guidelines. When it comes to the topic of masks they are 100 % identical on all of them. For one simple reason: IT MAKES SENSE! 

NONE of the guidelines or cruise lines require you to wear masks while sunbathing at the pool or even swimming!!!
The procedure is simple and pragmatic and the same as in restaurants - while you walk around, go to a bar, while you are looking for a deck chair etc. it´s masks ON.

Once you are seated, sunbathing etc. it´s masks OFF.

So people, please look at the guidelines and the facts (I know, I know... I am sooo old school) before spreading rumors or debating about rumors. 

To those of you not willing to cruise under the guidelines - easy solution, stay at home.

To those of you trying to impress with their ´coolness´ by saying they won´t wear a mask once the ship has left the port. Sure, go ahead. You will be asked to leave the ship at the next port - applauded by the rest of the passengers who are reasonable. It has happened on all the mentioned cruise lines...

We did a cruise on TUI Cruise´s Mein Schiff under the regulations and it was fine. The only part of guidelines I personally don´t like is the restriction in regards of tours.

However, that´s the way it is and nobody is twisting my arm to book a cruise.

If you are interested how cruises under the guidelines really are and how it´s handled on board, here´s the report I posted while doing the cruise:

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 5

PS:
If you don´t feel like reading the full report, here´s the part where I explained the mask procedures. Those regulations are identical on all lines and the CDC.

Covid Policy Cruise - Mein Schiff 6 - The elephant in the room

129AA641-4133-46DB-B706-26A612ECD497.thumb.jpeg.fb5306d189d8f378b797a8551fee512f.jpeg

In an attempt to show you what life is like on a cruise ship under Covid guidelines I also want to cover the most disputed topic, the elephant in the room - Masks.

It’s seems to be one of the most talked about and controversial issues - at least in some parts of the world -  and I’ve read some very abstruse myths on Facebook and CruiseCritic. So let me be the myth buster…

Brace yourselves 😉

Yes, masks are required to be worn! 

Are you required to wear a mask 24/7 or anywhere on the ship at any time?

No, of course not!

In a nutshell – masks have to be worn where distancing is difficult or cannot be guaranteed. Naturally this would be in elevators, corridors, queues etc.

Do you have to wear a mask in a restaurant or a bar all the time? 

Now, if some of you shake your head while reading this question, I have read such rumours! The answer is again: no, of course not!

Just like we are used to it by now on land – at least in Germany – you wear the mask when entering a restaurant or bar and while walking to your table or seat. Then it’s mask off and time to enjoy a drink or a good meal.

Once you’re done, you put your mask back on and walk out of the restaurant or bar.

Should you choose to get a drink at one of the counters instead of waiting for a waiter to serve you, you put your mask on and order the drink at the bar. Since obviously you are moving closer to the bartender at that moment, you wear the mask for his or her protection. All the bartenders and staff wear masks from morning to nighttime.

At the buffet you wear a mask while walking around and choosing your food. Not once you are seated.

What about the sun deck or the pool?

In outside spaces like the sundeck or the pool deck there is no need to wear a mask all the time. Of course you’re obligated to keep a distance to your neighbour.

Let me tell you how people on this ship do it. While relaxing in the sun, they don’t wear a mask. When they get up and walk somewhere, they automatically put on the masks. It has become and automatism to all of us.

So they even wear masks in places where they wouldn’t even need to. This also goes for inside spaces. Although there are many places where they would not have to wear masks, you really don’t see anybody without. 

Basically it comes down to this: no mask outside, and always inside (with the explained exceptions).

Does this impact the feeling of a cruise in any way? 

My personal answer would be: no, of course not! Why should it? 

It’s a necessity, a sign of our time, and it doesn’t bother me or most of the other people here at all. It’s simply the right thing to do. 

In a conversation with staff or with fellow passengers you can smile with your eyes. You can be friendly with words and the tone of your voice.

So the only problem in regards of masks I can think of is packing... have I packed enough socks? Have I packed enough underwear? Now we have to add: have I packed enough masks?

This humorous look at it brings me straight to the answer of another question: on this ship masks were provided. We found two packs on our bed after embarkation.

So just to give you an image: does this look any different to you? Maybe less crowded - so not less but more fun!

34147C91-CD43-47DF-B02D-011774D4F3C9.jpeg.03684b3e08fc1f2afd5256ac753b2fe4.jpeg

Edited October 1, 2020 by Miaminice

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Yes, that is correct, but the cruise lines can make their own rules as well.  Trust me, when cruising resumes, a strong mask policy will  be in effect.  They will NOT risk another situation like Feb 2020.

I could be wrong but it appears the wearing of maks on cruises is here to stay. Not a deal breaker for me.  I can.still enjoy my time at the pool, go for a quick dip, etc. I love laying on a lounger and reading a book, lots of nooks and crannies to distance when you have to. Dining may present a challenge as I enjoy socializing with my tablemates, however, even that could work. 

Here is my thought.  In the future,  if everybody on board is required to have a vaccine (passengers and crew) then having to wear masks on board should not be required.  Yes for quite some time everybody will still need a mask in port and on excursions and anywhere off the ship (at least until the transmission data says otherwise).  But the ship itself should be a vaccinated bubble.  

Let's take the simple example of everybody being vaccinated with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine and sailing a month after the second dose.  At least 95% of the people on board will have no COVID symptoms at all.  Possibly a few of the remaining 5% might experience mild cold-like symptoms.  That is it.  No Medivac, No hospitalization, No Deaths.  That is what the vaccines do.    The other vaccines like J&J  that have lower efficacy at 70% still prevent 100% of hospitalizations and deaths. Even for the variants.   In all aspects of society going forward whether on a ship or not that will be what we are dealing with.  For years to come.  Cruises will possibly be safer than general society since they will be 100% vaccinated as a requirement.  A vaccinated bubble on ship.  We will all need to get used to the idea that post-vaccines, we will be managing COVID infections like colds and Flu.  

• Like 2

I do think the title of the thread is a bit misleading.  The order as far as I can tell doesn't call out cruise ships or swimming pools specifically.  It just says masks are required for the duration of travel.  So I guess the post title could just as easily said mask will be required while in your stateroom or on your balcony.  I suspect clearer guidance will come with the actual cruise line rules which will be negotiated with the CDC before sailings resume.

"A conveyance operator transporting persons into and within the United States3 must requireall persons onboard to wear masks for the duration of travel."

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Here is my thought.  In the future,  if everybody on board is required to have a vaccine (passengers and crew) then having to wear masks on board should not be required.  Yes for quite some time everybody will still need a mask in port and on excursions and anywhere off the ship (at least until the transmission data says otherwise).  But the ship itself should be a vaccinated bubble.  

I'm fine with that, I'm just not old enough to get the vaccine....which is suppose is a good thing.  🙂

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I do think the title of the thread is a bit misleading.  The order as far as I can tell doesn't call out cruise ships or swimming pools specifically.  It just says masks are required for the duration of travel.  So I guess the post title could just as easily said mask will be required while in your stateroom or on your balcony.  I suspect clearer guidance will come with the actual cruise line rules which will be negotiated with the CDC before sailings resume.

"A conveyance operator transporting persons into and within the United States3 must requireall persons onboard to wear masks for the duration of travel."

Going to be some hungry dehydrated people if they can't remove the masks for the duration of travel...not to mention some bad breath.  

20 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Wearing a mask when relaxing pool side or any other outside deck locations seems to be in our future CDC sailing restrictions effective Feb 1, 2021.

With this restriction and sailing at reduced capacity, it will be very interesting to see if cruising will be as "engaging" as it was in the good Ol' days?

Making new friends while keeping 6-feet apart and wearing a mask for me is very unlikely.  What say you? 

Cheers 🥂 

CDC Order to Require Passengers to Wear Masks on Ships - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I'm ok wearing a mask around the pool as long as they let me in the pool.  I promise to keep my social distance.

11 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Cruises won’t be leaving the US without a ‘consent decree’ from the CDC and state governments that will include what happens if something goes wrong. Cruise lines won’t take the risk of not being able to easily return to home ports if necessary, and the price of that guarantee will be their agreement with health and safety protocols.     If booked cruisers decide not to cruise because they don’t want to wear a mask, get vaccinated, or whatever else they come up with, they will be doing the cruise lines a favor as the lines seek to reduce occupancy and not make refunds. 

Those RULES are likely to be determined in the next few weeks when CLIA, the CDC and the rest have their meeting.  The cruiselines are hoping to receive clarity in how to implement the rules.

The port agreements will probably be the most difficult as many countries have almost zero ICU beds.

18 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

And then those couple of dozens of unmasked vaccinated but now mildly sick (but not seriously ill or dead) go to ports or home (throughout the world) and take with them Covid to people who are not vaccinated.  Until the world is protected there's really no vaccination bubble. 

First off I did not say they were unmasked anywhere but on the ship where everybody has been vaccinated.  And 100% of passengers and crew would mask and travel to go home- or anywhere they go off the ship.  So how is this different than if they were not on a ship to begin with but living in your town and were aymptomatic or had the sniffles?  It is what we all face everyday everywhere. In fact the ship would be guaranteed to have everybody vaccinated.  Not so for anywhere you currently go in the general population.  My whole point is that some time in the next year or two we will have to start managing coronavirus in a non-pandemic world.  Including cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Doctors and scientists have pointed out that masks will still need to be worn for a period of time even after people have been vaccinated because the vaccine does not prevent infection. As you pointed out people who have been vaccinated can contract the virus, be asymptotic, and pass it on to others who are not vaccinated.

Oh? do you have evidence of that?

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Doctors and scientists have pointed out that masks will still need to be worn for a period of time even after people have been vaccinated because the vaccine does not prevent infection. As you pointed out people who have been vaccinated can contract the virus, be asymptotic, and pass it on to others who are not vaccinated.

The vaccines have not been shown to prevent infection. That's different from they do not prevent infection. The trials were not designed to demonstrate that one way or another.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1