Jump to content

Passenger Vaccine Requirement up next?


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Totally agree on this.  I just feel it means we have much more work to do to make it fair and equitable for all, a great start, but tweaks need to be made for sure.

The current Covid vaccine situation in the US now is that the states and federal government control everything and it is a complete mess.  So if this is an example of a more socialized medicine approach in the US then count me out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harrylinden said:

Ok, Let's just wait and see,When the news say's hackers are copying  The CDC card and making fake vaccine cards so they can go places and the Covid-19 rage's even more!!!  I'm just posting what the CDC said!!!  You have your opinion and I have mine on this subject!!

I think that this issue could be easily resolved if you would simply post a link to the page in which the CDC warned people not to post photographs of the vaccine cards on the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think that this issue could be easily resolved if you would simply post a link to the page in which the CDC warned people not to post photographs of the vaccine cards on the internet.

Not sure that would help.  While the cards do have a security feature, they are not a really secure document or intended to be secure.  If the validity of a card was questioned a phone call could check on the card.  Here they are provided in over 200 locations.

If someone wants to fake a card - they will do it.  Same with a passport or ??

What would be the gain?  To not get vaccinated?  If the forger caused illness or worse things would be ugly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not sure that would help.  While the cards do have a security feature, they are not a really secure document or intended to be secure.  If the validity of a card was questioned a phone call could check on the card.  Here they are provided in over 200 locations.

If someone wants to fake a card - they will do it.  Same with a passport or ??

What would be the gain?  To not get vaccinated?  If the forger caused illness or worse things would be ugly.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that the issue of forgery would be resolved, just the question of whether or not the CDC ever requested that photos of a blank card not be posted as @Harrylinden has claimed. With hundreds of photos already on line, including at least one included on a State website, it's hard to believe that the CDC would take such a step.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I think that this issue could be easily resolved if you would simply post a link to the page in which the CDC warned people not to post photographs of the vaccine cards on the internet.

Ok, I  Misspoke about the CDC saying this.Sorry!What I should have said was the Better Business Bureau! Anyway here it is!

https://www.channel3000.com/heres-why-you-shouldnt-post-pictures-of-your-covid-19-vaccination-card-to-social-media/

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

Ok, I  Misspoke about the CDC saying this.Sorry!What I should have said was the Better Business Bureau! Anyway here it is!

https://www.channel3000.com/heres-why-you-shouldnt-post-pictures-of-your-covid-19-vaccination-card-to-social-media/

It's all good, thanks for getting back to us with the link. Interestingly, the article's concern was over the risk of identity theft, and any reminder not to post photos of cards that have been filled out is positive. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

Ok, I  Misspoke about the CDC saying this.Sorry!What I should have said was the Better Business Bureau! Anyway here it is!

https://www.channel3000.com/heres-why-you-shouldnt-post-pictures-of-your-covid-19-vaccination-card-to-social-media/

Correct.  Not posting filled in CDC cards.

And from the article you posted:

Schultz also recommends posting a blank card as an alternative.

Which is what I did and where this all started. 

 

So, let's move on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ECCruise said:

It has nothing to do with opinion.  I can find nothing about a such a CDC proclamation, but the FDA has asked people not to share CDC vax cards completely filled out with personal information on social media.  Which is quite obvious. 

You  chastised me for sharing, as I said, what thousands of media and others have shown: a blank CDC vax card, so people will know what a legitimate card looks like. 

 

You are 100% correct: LINK

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the cruise lines will keep in mind there could be positive cases even if everyone onboard is vaccinated - just not sure what their plan will be for that 😉

 

"Four people in Oregon have tested positive for the coronavirus after receiving both doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, health officials said.

 

There are two cases each in Yamhill and Lane counties, the state's Health Authority said in a series of tweets on Friday. The cases are either mild or asymptomatic.

 

"We are working with our local and federal public health partners to investigate and determine case origin," the agency said. "Genome sequencing is underway, and we expect results next week."

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/four-people-oregon-who-received-both-doses-vaccine-test-positive-n1257886

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

There are two cases each in Yamhill and Lane counties, the state's Health Authority said in a series of tweets on Friday. The cases are either mild or asymptomatic.

 

 

So the vaccine worked? That's what it was tested to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, markeb said:

 

So the vaccine worked? That's what it was tested to do.

 

Yep, and that's good news - just wondering what the cruise lines will do with a positive case onboard if everyone has had both vaccines, i.e. will it make a difference in their response they currently have posted etc.? Because right now Celebrity's wording is:

 

"If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard your cruise ship during your voyage, your voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed".

 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert


I know right now the CDC says no need to quarantine if you are vaccinated and exposed (if no symptoms) - so do you think with all vaccinated people they will they allow the cruise to continue instead (after whatever they will do with the positive case)? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

 

Yep, and that's good news - just wondering what the cruise lines will do with a positive case onboard if everyone has had both vaccines, i.e. will it make a difference in their response they currently have posted etc.? Because right now Celebrity's wording is:

 

"If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard your cruise ship during your voyage, your voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed".

 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert


I know right now the CDC says no need to quarantine if you are vaccinated and exposed (if no symptoms) - so do you think with all vaccinated people they will they allow the cruise to continue instead (after whatever they will do with the positive case)? 


At some point, and I don’t know when, the emphasis on a negative test is almost certain to decrease. As vaccination reduces the risk of severe disease, the whole exclusion concept has to be reevaluated. When and how that happens is the big question. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I'm sure the cruise lines will keep in mind there could be positive cases even if everyone onboard is vaccinated - just not sure what their plan will be for that 😉

 

"Four people in Oregon have tested positive for the coronavirus after receiving both doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, health officials said.

 

There are two cases each in Yamhill and Lane counties, the state's Health Authority said in a series of tweets on Friday. The cases are either mild or asymptomatic.

Interesting that the mainstream news failed to mention these were just 4 cases  among MILLIONS already administered WITHOUT ANY symptoms. Oh wait....then it wouldn't allow them to pose this as  "news". Vaccines work, have been proven to work, and will be the foundation for getting past COVID - crew and passengers alike - that much is known and announced as real news.

 

 

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

"If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard your cruise ship during your voyage, your voyage will be ended immediately and the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed".

 

This text was mandated to be included in marketing materials by the CDC starting on page 31.

 

"Retaining a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate.

(a) As a condition of obtaining and retaining a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate, a cruise ship operator must meet the following minimum standards:

(1) The cruise ship operator must in marketing materials, on its website, and in offerings for voyages, notify prospective passengers prior to accepting a reservation of any CDC travel advisory, warning, or recommendation relating to cruise travel. Such notification must further advise prospective passengers that, if a threshold of COVID-19 is detected on board the cruise ship during a voyage, the voyage will be ended immediately and the ship returned to the U.S. port of embarkation, and their subsequent travel, including their return home, may be restricted or delayed."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K.T.B. said:

And I posted it before I saw it. Sooooo....

Sooooo nothing, wasn't posting it to be adversarial, just saying he/she corrected it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Interesting that the mainstream news failed to mention these were just 4 cases  among MILLIONS already administered WITHOUT ANY symptoms. Oh wait....then it wouldn't allow them to pose this as  "news". Vaccines work, have been proven to work, and will be the foundation for getting past COVID - crew and passengers alike - that much is known and announced as real news.

 

 

We also all know that the vaccine is not 100% effective.  So even with two shots and time for them to ramp up to capacity, there will be a certain percentage (currently estimated to be 4-5%) of people who are vaccinated who will get the virus.  That is not news, and should not be headlined like this which does nothing but stir up anxiety and make vaccine doubtful people even more doubtful.  I am so tired of the news looking for stories to create scare headlines.  This virus provides enough fear in and of itself without creating fear with irresponsible headlines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

We also all know that the vaccine is not 100% effective.  So even with two shots and time for them to ramp up to capacity, there will be a certain percentage (currently estimated to be 4-5%) of people who are vaccinated who will get the virus.  

Fear mongering is foolish...

 

It's probably no accident that the Chicago area is among the highest resistant population to accepting vaccines and also highest infection rates per capita. 

 

The 94-95% effectiveness pertains to symptoms as well as immunity.  All the "experts" have said for more than a year that 75% or higher immunizations in the general population effectively eradicates this virus, as transmission (the biggest problem) is virtually eliminated. Yet another example of how governments and people both tell either part of the story or have their facts messed up.

 

If passengers and crew are both mandated to have documentation of being vaccinated...I suspect nearly all passengers will be quite comfortable knowing that their risk is <0.1%.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
Link to post
Share on other sites

The US is vaccinating 1 million people per day right now.  At that rate (and especially since the older population should be 100% vaccinated by the Spring), I can't see this being the lever that gets cruising going again.

 

Maybe that's why the CDC hasn't started allowing test cruises because they know by the Spring, enough people should be vaccinated to restart cruising.  Just my thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MrCoachRentz said:

The US is vaccinating 1 million people per day right now.  At that rate (and especially since the older population should be 100% vaccinated by the Spring), I can't see this being the lever that gets cruising going again.

 

Maybe that's why the CDC hasn't started allowing test cruises because they know by the Spring, enough people should be vaccinated to restart cruising.  Just my thoughts.

I believe the latest 7 day rolling average for vaccinating folks in the US is now at 1.7 million per day and steadily growing more each day with Feb 16th's count at over 2.3 million.

 

Covid-19 Vaccine Rollout: State by State - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Edited by Ken the cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...