The Daily for Saturday Feb 13, 2021

richwmn

today is Get a Different Name Day, Global Movie Day, and International Natural Day

Good day for a change of scene.  Repaper the bedroom wall.

Meal suggestion for today - Spaghetti & Meatball Skillet Supper

Drink of the Day - I Love Rock & Roll

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen 2018 Eroica Riesling (Columbia Valley (WA)) Columbia Valley

at Sea English Channel
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 3/2
Oosterdam destination Baie De Sein

at Sea Pacific
Noordam destination Long Beach today
Westerdam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Koningsdam

San Ignacio Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam

Great Stirrup Cay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen Anchorage
Zaandam

Torquay
Volendam at sea off Torquay, to return

0213world.thumb.png.70397c87fc37ac8f11b49058d6c765c4.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I think International Natural Day could be taken 2 ways.  Here's a salute to movies and Ryndam being renamed Rotterdam.  The quote seems especially relevant today with all the travel restrictions.  The Spaghetti and Meatball Skillet Supper sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho and Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast as served on MS Maasdam February 13, 2015.

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

My brother having another surgery

Seasick Sailor in Quarantine and friend with Covid pneumonia

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rich doing double duty

Mrs Vmax free of cancer

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Me home temporarily

Himself in Florida

Jabs for Cruise Suzy and DH
and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Please let me know of anything that needs to be corrected

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

I had to look up International Natural Day - it’s all about strengthening one’s self esteem & acknowledging the innate beauty within and around you.

I suspect we have all been watching a lot of movies during the pandemic 😉 

LOL on the quote - that’s about the only change of scene a lot of us are having right now 😉 Unless of course, you have a dog who helps paper in the bad way:

25F33040-1E69-4985-A065-B5016570157F.jpeg.7ea6015ef2543192e52a78acffee2a20.jpeg

Looks like more severe freezing weather & snow or ice is going to affect many down south (and us up North) from coast to coast.  A good reminder in severely cold weather:

71E80B9E-772C-4A2A-8DD9-71AB8B66E8AA.jpeg.ff5298bf906377dedba5694613a30d2e.jpeg

That drink sounds interesting - looking forward to the description from summer.

I think my dogs got this advice already.  One of Marley’s favourite tricks to get a cookie.

AF4E911D-0431-423A-AAC2-F9CBB14816CB.jpeg.c8d5e94b61555e23dff563c19b1071f1.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list (nice to see him back) & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday all.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 31

Roy, glad to see you back, but concerned that you are facing cardiac surgery.  As you had mentioned earlier you knew something wasn't right and visited the doctor for some tests.  Glad that you did that, and our thoughts and prayers are with you for your surgery.   We all hope that your surgery goes well and that you are soon back to your own self.

Neil

• Like 22

Good morning all and thanks rich and Roy for the lists. Weather network tells me that all 10 million square kilometres of Canada is below freezing and will be for  one more day. According to them all our provincial capitals (including Victoria which rarely gets there) and our federal capital are below freezing. That is cold. You would think that could kill this dog gone virus! Hope everyone has a good day. Stay warm, stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning.  Got a different name in HS when we all picked nicknames.  I've used mine the rest of my life.  Love movies and now that I understand it, Natural Day.  Quote is interesting, no wallpaper anymore.  Yum on the Meal, look forward to Debbie's recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. So happy to hear Mrs Vmax's recovery.  Roy, take care of yourself, we need you here in our special place.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

I Love Rock & Roll:

Ingredients

• 45 ml Blackcurrant Juice
  • 40 ml Vodka
  • Sprite
  • Lemon slices

Instructions

Prepare a highball glass with ice cubes and lemon slices. After that add the vodka and then the blackcurrant Juice. Fill the class with Sprite. Add a straw and mix the drink. Cheers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 7.31.56 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

Just got back from walking the dog, it's a chilly -13C (9F) here, I may have to put on a heavier coat if it gets any worse.  Bertie Woofster doesn't seem to mind the cold.

Interesting collection of days.

No re-papering here, I can't go out and pick out any supplies because of the lockdown.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, but we had meatballs subs the other night, so I'll have to think of something else.  I think I'll put a couple of steaks in the crockpot with potatoes and green beans.

The drink of the day looks good, looking forward to reading about the wine.

@kazuBertie and Marley have the same trick.  Go out and come back in and look for a treat.  This morning I had to push on the flap on his doggie door because it had frozen shut over night.  He thinks he should get an extra treat because of the hard work.😉

Hope everyone has a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone.   We have a high of 27 F today.  I don't think that is too bad considering it is February in a northern climate.   Big storm rolling through Monday into Tuesday.  So glad my sister is coming on Sunday.   I'll be working to get ready for her visit today.  

Today's meal sounds good.   Not too many alternative suggestions in the comments today.  Just be sure to break up the spaghetti into smaller pieces so it doesn't clump together.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spaghetti-meatball-skillet-supper/

Spaghetti-and-Meatball-Skillet-Supper_EXPS_SDON17_191148_D06_30_4b-11.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I got a different name when I turned 18; I hated the long form (Geraldine) and never used it, so with my parents blessing, legally changed it to Gerry.  We haven't watched a movie in a long time, there's too much other stuff to do and see.  Wallpaper - the true test of a marriage!  LOL 

I want to wish @DeeniEncinitasand her DH a very Happy Anniversary; 50 years is a wonderful milestone to celebrate!  Image result for Happy 50th anniversary images

What a lovely surprise yesterday mid-afternoon when our doorbell rang.  Friends of ours had made a Costco run and picked up boxes of individual onion soups, leaving a box on the doorstep.  Friends are our lifeline during these harsh times.  We have another cold day on the "frozen tundra", so the spaghetti & meatballs sounds appealing, but I'm pretty sure we're going to be ordering in from our favourite Italian restaurant tomorrow, so will enjoy some of the onion soup from yesterday's delivery with a side salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list *clink*.  Be safe, stay well, stay warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! Great combo of days. I got a different name when I joined CC. What a wonderful idea with International Natural Day! Love good movies, though haven’t been to an actual movie theater in awhile. 

Welcome back Roy! Thank you for keeping our lists. Hope your surgical plan gets you back on track quickly. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Happy 50th Anniversary Denise & David! What an amazing milestone. 🥂

I am looking forward to joining a couple of friends for some wine & cheese tonight. Love the quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Washington off-dry Riesling has excellent ratings and is reasonably priced. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $15.99. Though not a fan of sweet Rieslings, I would love to try this one. 

Winemaker Notes

#81 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Eroica Riesling offers sweet lime and mandarin orange aromas with subtle mineral notes. The mouth-watering acidity is beautifully balanced by flavorful Washington Riesling fruit. To achieve the Eroica style, the winery strives for bright fruit with crisp acidity and enhanced minerality. A good match for Asian dishes, Indian curries, crab, and scallops.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast: The aromas are vibrant, with notes of lime leaf, whole lime and wet slate. Medium-bodied, off-dry lime and white-peach flavors follow, with mouthwatering acidity upping the interest. Editors' Choice.

WS91
Wine Spectator
A lovely wine, appealingly off-dry and boldly expressive, with honeysuckle, peach, grapefruit and spice flavors that linger on the lush, crisp finish.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

It has been quite the week for many Dailyites....

8230DC27-9E99-4A25-879C-73AB44FC8544.jpeg

Oh so true!

I really like my job -- most of the time. Occasionally I get these really busy periods -- worked last weekend, worked until 11:00 pm or later 3 days this week. And I will work some today, and on Monday (a US holiday for most...). And this morning I had set aside some time to go to the post office and make a few returns (perils of online shopping), but it's raining and in the 30s, just don't feel like doing it!

Drink of the day sounds good to me. I'm not normally a huge drinker of Riesling, I'll be honest, but that one sounds good. More likely any wine I have today will be from my stash of NZ Sauvignon Blanc or a nice Italian Verdicchio.

I am also waxing a bit nostalgic today as it was about a year ago that I was leaving for my trip to Campania. Little did I know it'd be my last trip for a while. 

On one of the days we went to Paestum to see the Greek temples; the light at that time of year was wonderful and of course the site was virtually empty:

image.thumb.png.58c77032584c3eff4f802a8986a6125c.png 

Also empty: Pompeii in the early morning.  A shot of one of the streets just outside the city walls, lined with tombs, and an uncrowded street inside Pompeii:

image.thumb.png.c068196e93e83d768ec33328b442b2c7.png 

image.thumb.png.e1050fe08dc00e16705d8a98d0c52396.png

And one of several reasons why I wanted to take this trip -- this house in Pompeii, owned by brothers best described as nouveau riche, which had been closed for decades for renovation, had reopened just the month before I visited. The colors and quality of the frescoes were unbelievable:

image.thumb.png.537b9990091348d3c11a022b73fede33.png 

• Like 29

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I got a different name when I turned 18; I hated the long form (Geraldine) and never used it, so with my parents blessing, legally changed it to Gerry.  We haven't watched a movie in a long time, there's too much other stuff to do and see.  Wallpaper - the true test of a marriage!  LOL 

I want to wish @DeeniEncinitasand her DH a very Happy Anniversary; 50 years is a wonderful milestone to celebrate!  Image result for Happy 50th anniversary images

What a lovely surprise yesterday mid-afternoon when our doorbell rang.  Friends of ours had made a Costco run and picked up boxes of individual onion soups, leaving a box on the doorstep.  Friends are our lifeline during these harsh times.  We have another cold day on the "frozen tundra", so the spaghetti & meatballs sounds appealing, but I'm pretty sure we're going to be ordering in from our favourite Italian restaurant tomorrow, so will enjoy some of the onion soup from yesterday's delivery with a side salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list *clink*.  Be safe, stay well, stay warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I  disliked  the  long  form(Theresa) as  well  and  12  years  of  Catholic  schools(no  nicknames) reinforced  that. I  never  changed  it  legally  to  Terry  but  I  just use  Theresa  when  forced  to!

• Like 8

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipes ladies. 

We have our inch of ice that is still slowly falling here in Oregon.  I won't be taking a walk as I would probably slide down the hill and not be able to get back up.  It will be a good day for movies.

Prayer for those who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 14

Top of the morning Rich. Thanks for the Daily and helping Roy for a few days.

Dear Roy, it was so sweet to see your post today. I know you are in good shape with walking and watching your diet. Allen had a new heart valve and aneurism repaired a few years ago and he's doing so much better. We are out of isolation so please remove me from the care list. Thank you. 

A sad few days. Our friends and her 100 year old mom got Covid early this week. Her mom passed away Thursday. Our friend Gary went by ambulance to hospital Thursday evening and is not expected to survive. 

Our ice storm has wreaked havoc on our new trees and shrubs. Expect zero temps which is especially unusual for Central Texas. Crazy!

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

want to wish @DeeniEncinitasand her DH a very Happy Anniversary; 50 years is a wonderful milestone to celebrate

❤️Oh my goodness!! Woke up this am and went to my email!! Thank you kindly for wishing us happiness on our day!!

It has been a long time LOL! BFF❤️

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Welcome back Roy! Thank you for keeping our lists. Hope your surgical plan gets you back on track quickly. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Happy 50th Anniversary Denise & David! What an amazing milestone. 🥂

❤️Good morning Ann!!! It is a milestone hun? It’s funny both David and I can not imagine it has been that long! We grew up together on the same street!!! He used to call me curly top!! 😆 LOL
image.png.b3c42713808cfbf6e805e3702f189f01.png

❤️Oh 🥲 what a beautiful cake!! Now this is a memory!! It brings me back to the day. Got married on a Sunday and David left a week later on The USS Enterprise going to Vietnam. We had a small wedding cake that reminded me of this one! So young and we were so scared at the same time!! ❤️Thankyou!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING RICH!! WOW “GET A DIFFERENT NAME DAY!!” 😊I DID!!!!!

🌺Roy, so happy your back!! So happy!

🌺Jacqui, thank you for the funny cartoons! I love them! And inspirational messages.

🌺Debbie, like the dinner 👍👍 We are ordering from our favorite Italian restaurant for our dinner! So looking forward to it!! No inside dining here at all!

🌴🌴

Have a beautiful weekend everyone! 
I will enjoy mine and am so grateful for all of my CC friends!

❤️Now David and I start our day!

Champagne with peaches 🍑 Eggs Benedict!! Yum!! 
HAPPY SATURDAY!

Denise😊

image.png

• Like 21

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Bertie Woofster doesn't seem to mind the cold.

I got a laugh out of this since I am currently reading a bunch of P. G. Wodehouse books on my Kindle!

@rafinmd - Good to hear from you Roy, best of luck with your medical challenges!

Here are a couple more butterflies from Key West -

DSC_0133.thumb.JPG.8a20b25ac6297271ebff06ee0c348d26.JPGDSC_0135.thumb.JPG.81bcecc2fb55163007d2991b3d619cb9.JPG

• Like 18

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your lists Roy @rafinmd and so happy your doctors made a quick diagnosis and plan for your cardiac surgery. 

I have always had my same name, but my mother tells a story that I was almost named Honey. I half way think it’s a joke because it was a play on my last name (maiden name). 

I love a good movie, we watched Hello Dolly last night. I think I celebrate Natural Day every day. The meal suggestion sounds good but I think we might have mussels tonight, DH favorite. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily.

Roy, wishing you good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery.

After getting up in the middle of the night and getting DH a vaccine appointment, we found out it didn’t go through because he never got a conformation. When getting the appointment, I neglected to write down the time of the first jab, put in everything for the second jab, went back to the first one and hit the time that was available then , so somehow I must have given him two times to wind up,with none. So frustrating, especially since this was with CVS and they wanted so much info so they can bill insurance. Will try again next week.

I named our son David and always told him not to let his friends call him Dave. In high school, they gave him the nickname of Sprout. My nickname in college was Bells because my maiden name was Bellin.

Forecast is for freezing rain and snow showers. Wish I was in Florida.

Carol

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1