The Daily for Monday Mar 01, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Pig Day, Peace Corps Day, and Peanut Butter Lovers' Day

Life is very short and what we have to do must be done in the now. - Audre Lorde

Meal suggestion for today - Root Vegetable Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Chichi

Wine of the day - Lingua Franca 2018 Avni Chardonnay (Willamette Valley) Willamette Valley

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/5
Westerdam Baja
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/3

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0301World.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Not quite sure why pigs have a day but we seem to love them most after they die.  Not really a peanut butter lover but the Peace Corps bets a big thumbs up.  I love the quote and the meal sounds quite nice.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Pork Piccata, and Peach Crisp, as served on MS Prinsendam March 1, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes01.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

StLouisCruisers grandson

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab for mamaofami DH

22C in New Zealand

Golden Globe winners

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Since we have been treated to pictures of various places, I thought I might add a "Port of the Day" for discussion. Today would be Georgetown Grand Cayman Island.

What do y'all think?

• Like 38
  • Thanks 3

Thank you guys for the updates.  Love the idea of Port of the Day.  I have been to Georgetown a couple of times with the sisters - I need to take DH there, he would love it.  Yum peanut butter - that is a food group in this house.  Root vegetable stew is also a favorite, done in a pressure cooker it is especially delicious.

Peace and comfort to those who are struggling,  Thankfulness for those who make our lives easier.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 23

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be chilly here, but the sun will come out this afternoon.  Then we'll have a bit of a warm up.  I'm heading to the pool this morning and will stop and get groceries on the way home.  Just a mundane work day today.   Lot's of emails to send out.

Today's meal is one most of us have done and without a recipe.   The first picture is from the regular recipe site, Taste of Home.   I would probably go with the second site, Spicy Southern Kitchen, because I like the seasonings used.   The one suggestion on Taste of Home was to leave out the tea.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/root-vegetable-pot-roast/

https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/pot-roast-with-root-vegetables/

Root-Vegetable-Pot-Roast-_EXPS_SDON17_203757_C06_30_4b.jpg

Pot-Roast-with-Root-vegetables-8.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Welcome to March.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Pig day?  Guess we'll have to have pork chops for dinner?  I love peanut butter.  And a big salute to the Peace Corp.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to  reading about the wine and drink of the day.

Port discussion - great idea.  I've never been to Grand Cayman, so I can't add anything to the conversation but I'll be happy to read all about it.

We've got a wind warning and a snow squall warning.  We could get up to 40cm of snow (15 inches) by tomorrow morning.  I hope the snow blower works.

Sending prayers for all on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Have a great Monday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning Rich. Another great idea adding ports of the day. Thank you.

Happy March to my sisters, prayers for Roy and all on his prayer list, and thank's to all who contribute to the Daily. 

I like both pot roast recipes. I made one last week and turned it into beef barley the next day. I believe I've had the wine of the day several times.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother @cunnorl

After doctor's appointment today we're meeting friends for lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Looks like it will only be raining through the morning,  but as I sit here I can hear the wind whipping around..

Have a great day. Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 25

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

National Pigs’ Day can be a great celebration of the domesticated pig with the parades and some even visiting nursing homes.  Sadly, I doubt there will be many celebrations this year with covid.

Cheers for the Peace Corps 👍 DH and the dogs love peanut butter and will all celebrate today 😄 

Love the quote by Lorde - It’s truth hits home in these Covid times.

BD22DB66-7094-4B4E-9D0B-4F81C0FF8AEA.thumb.png.fe84486172140f8384d880d4b68f9131.png

The meal suggestion sounds like a good one since March is going to come in like a lion here.  Snow, freezing rain and high winds all day and night.  And more storms to come this week.  I hope that means March is going to go out like a lamb  🤞 

558AEBAA-1827-478A-85FB-5CB62100A80B.thumb.jpeg.b6a1b22683981262b970eeae3fc0d0e1.jpeg

Love the Port of the Day idea.  I remember being struck by how clean Grand Cayman was and how many banks were there 😉 

Looking forward to hearing about the drink of the day and the Chardonnay - yay!  White wine 😄 

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And a big toast to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a good Monday & 1st day of March, everyone.  Stay safe and warm and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

0CA7281E-9C43-49D3-9DD6-8CFE8152AD20.jpeg.6cba9061bdf23876eb5619465c3fe868.jpeg

• Like 32

Good Monday morning.  I’ll substitute bacon day for pig day.  Of course some do have pigs as pets and I have heard they are quite intelligent.  

As long as my peanut butter can be chunky, I am good there as well.

• Like 16

Good  morning.  Happy March 1.  Thank you Rich, Roy, and all the dailyites who contribute to this wonderful thread.  Love, love, love peanut butter.  Congrats to the Pigs and Peace Corps on their special day.  We used to have Pot Roast every Sunday when my MIL was alive.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Chichi:

3 ounces vodka,  4 ounces pineapple juice,  2 ounces cream of coconut,  1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar (or more),  1 cup crushed ice,  2 slices pineapple, speared with 2 maraschino cherries, on toothpicks, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Into a blender, combine the vodka, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, sugar, and ice. Blend on high speed until frothy and well combined, about 30 seconds.
Pour into 2 chilled Collins glasses, and garnish with the pineapple slices and umbrellas.
Serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 7.33.31 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Since we have been treated to pictures of various places, I thought I might add a "Port of the Day" for discussion. Today would be Georgetown Grand Cayman Island.

What do y'all think?

Great Idea!  Make it so.

• Like 9

Today's sunrise is the first of yet another string of cruises.  In 2014 The Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony were meeting in Singapore and I made the switch starting on Symphony in Bali and leaving Serenity in Cape Town.  I was dreading the long flight home when I discovered Amsterdam had a World Cruise segment leaving Cape Town for Ft. Lauderdale just 3 days after I arrived.  On March 1 the Symphony left Bali:

dawn0301.jpg

Roy

• Like 35

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Pigs are great - pork chops, bacon, etc., but I don't think I'd want one as a pet.  Great respect for all who are in the Peace Corps.  Love peanut butter - it's a staple in our pantry.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman - they have a nice Hard Rock Cafe there.  DH collects HRC pins, so we check out every location when we cruise.  It's always a great place to settle in for a burger and a drink after wandering the streets.  I have a lovely wind chime from Georgetown that has a couple of blue lucite dolphins that I love to hear tinkle in the wind during the summer.

Welcome to March on the "frozen tundra" where it appears to be coming in like a lamb.  We're supposed to get above freezing today with similar daytime temperatures for the next few days.  Sorry @kazuto hear you're getting slammed a-g-a-i-n!  

I like both menu suggestions for today, especially since the pot roast is so easy to do - you just toss everything into a pot and let it cook.  However, DH has requested that we have bbq chicken wings in the air fryer, so I'll go along with that.  It's easy and quick, and while the wings are cooking, he'll make up garlic mashed potatoes while I put together a salad.  When it's all done, we'll sit down to a nice dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! The letter of the day is “P”! Pigs, Peace & Peanut! Another great combo of days. And I love the idea of Port of the Day! I am going to learn so much! I have been to Georgetown, but just went to Seven Mile beach, since that is what the 11, 8 & 4 year old wanted to do. We did use a variety of water toys, but it was super windy that day. I remember how friendly everyone was. And I too, remember how clean it was.

Roy, thank you for our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy, did you like the wine du jour? It sounds great. Poignant quote. Debbie, thank you for the recipe options. Summer, I have had the drink du jour at a Hawaiian luau. Go figure.  It is another lovely morning here. We expect rain the next few days, which is good, because we are due. Just a normal day. I will be having roasted veggies for supper, since my weekend was a bit “wilder” than usual.😎 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone! 

All vintages of this Oregon Chardonnay have excellent ratings, though the 2018’s is a bit higher. You can find this wine with many online distributors, starting for less than $30. So you might be able to find it for less locally. And who can resist something aged in “new puncheons and neutral barriques”?
Winemaker Notes

#17 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Complex with layers of lemongrass, honeycomb, citrus and spice. On the palate, the wine is silky, round and supple, with a long finish.

This is a pairing with crab, lobster, clams, oysters and ceviche. It also works well served slightly warmer with trout or salmon, and roasted chicken. 
WE95 Wine Enthusiast: This is a stunning wine and a sensational value. Succulent, tangy and concentrated in ripe fruit, it explodes with flavors of lemon, peach, apricot and papaya lifted by a squeeze of lime. Fermented in a mix of concrete and neutral barrels, it was then aged in new puncheons and neutral barriques. Editors' Choice.

• Like 26

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I was already planning on leftover pot roast beef and mashed potatoes and asparagus for dinner tonight.

Love Grand Cayman, swimming with the stingray and visiting HELL😀

I remember HAL having chichi’s on the drink list years ago.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 17

Love Georgetown!  It is a favorite walking port.  We get off/wander for awhile and then have lunch.  Good clean port and friendly people. (Wish I could say I visit my bank acct. there!)  Last time we stopped on a Sunday and enjoyed people watching all the big hat ladies coming to and from church.

• Like 18

It  is  nice  that  pigs, the  Peace  Core  and  peanut  butter  all  get  a  day. They  deserve  it.

I  like  the  recipe  from  the  second  website  but  would  need  to  import  both  the  meat  and  the  parsnips as  well  as  the  beets  but  I  will  save it  for  another  time. DH  tasted  my  mother's  pot  roast  almost  45  years  ago  and  asked  me  if  I  knew  how  to  make  it. I  did and  have  made  it  many  times . He  gets  concerned  when  I  try  a  new  recipe  but  usually  finds  it  acceptable.

Terry

• Like 18

Good Morning all. Thanks for the daily rich and Roy. Love the idea of port of the day. We were in Georgetown on our very first cruise (rccl) in 1989. My only clear memory of it, however, is a really bad tasting margarita. It was part of our tour and served in a styrofoam cup! Salt on the rim! Yuck! For years I couldn’t touch tequila.

we had a great day yesterday celebrating our 51st wedding anniversary with our daughters and their families. We were 10 outside. The sun was shining and it was quite lovely for much of the afternoon. weatherman has promised 50f for Wednesday so hopefully we can do a driveway Happy Hour with our next door neighbours. 

flowers are from anniversary celebration.

Eva

0939796F-63A2-4397-8A6A-D87E12BDF83C.jpeg

• Like 34

2 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good Morning all. Thanks for the daily rich and Roy. Love the idea of port of the day. We were in Georgetown on our very first cruise (rccl) in 1989. My only clear memory of it, however, is a really bad tasting margarita. It was part of our tour and served in a styrofoam cup! Salt on the rim! Yuck! For years I couldn’t touch tequila.

we had a great day yesterday celebrating our 51st wedding anniversary with our daughters and their families. We were 10 outside. The sun was shining and it was quite lovely for much of the afternoon. weatherman has promised 50f for Wednesday so hopefully we can do a driveway Happy Hour with our next door neighbours. 

flowers are from anniversary celebration.

Eva

0939796F-63A2-4397-8A6A-D87E12BDF83C.jpeg

Happy belated anniversary! 51 years is quite the milestone!

• Like 12

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Thank you all for the warm and heartfelt messages you sent me yesterday, Truly appreciated. My brother was a wonderful person and even though he lived in Boston and I am in Florida, we saw each other often. He was scheduled to be my golf partner for a tournament on March 18th.

This is a wonderful thread and I wonder if people really know how much peace and happiness it brings to all of us. 

Stay safe.

• Like 28