The Daily for Wednesday Mar 03, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Everyone from a rainy day at the beach.

Again thank you to all of my CC friends for your support and prayers for my family. Never thought we would be in this situation.  You all make me happy everyday with the pictures, the quotes, recipes and the genuine concern for each other. Most of all you give hope that we all will be cruising again soon.  

We went for the Covid test yesterday, waiting on results. So far, 14 family members ( all in MA) have tested positive, one hospitalized.  I dont have any symptoms but we are still in quarantine until we receive the results.

Be Safe and dont let your guard down.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, highscar said:

Kazu——- what is a hairdresser?.  Lol. 

LOL - we’ve been able to go in our zone here in NB for a number of months.  Very strict protocols in place.  The hairdressers aren’t making as much money as they used to because of it but they are complying without complaint.

Mine is very talented at working around the ears despite the mask 😉 

• Like 18

Good Wednesday morning all.  Waiting to hear what the orthopedist has to say.  Hopefully continue with the sling and it will heal by itself.  🤞

I have only one experience with mulled wine and I didn't enjoy it.  I'm not a red wine person anyway, so maybe that's why.  We were on a late in the season transatlantic and were freezing in Florence so bought some mulled wine to warm us.  I ended up giving DH mine.  

I am 3 for 3 on the ports so far.  We went to Qaqortoq in 2011 and 2018.  The first time (Sept. 2011 on Emerald Princess) DH and a friend walked to the top of the tallest hill to see what was on the other side of the island.  Turns out it was some icebergs.  

The local nursery school teachers brought all the toddlers to the "downtown" area to see all the strange people who had invaded their town.  They enjoyed seeing us as much as we did them. enhance

Here is the oldest fountain in Greenland.enhance

Next are some photos from Aug. 2018 on the Seabourn Quest.  We went over to shore in the morning for some sightseeing, then later when the fog came in we headed back to ship for lunch.  In the afternoon we had bright sunshine again and went back for a hike up to the top of the hill like DH did in 2011.enhance

Here is the fish market.  We saw something that looked like whale blubber.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

View of the town from the top of the hill during the afternoon walk.enhance

We took a shortcut down the stairs to get back down to the tender.  Last tender was in 30 minutes.enhance

I hope that there will be more ports of the day in Greenland.  So much to see there.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 30

Good morning Rich and all DAILYITES. Thanks for the fleet report meal suggestion and drink.  I love it!  A year ago today I disemarked the Koningsdam, never dreaming that it would be well over a year before I would have the opportunity to sail again.  

• Like 13

It looks like we will have temps in the 40s for the rest of the week and mid to high 50s for the weekend. I better get another propane tank for the grill!

We were in Puerta Vallarta on March 2nd, 2005. It started out rather dreary but cleared up okay eventually. We did not go into the town but did take a nice catamaran/snorkel/secluded beach excursion -

DSC02832.thumb.JPG.33a83ba742934b4bcc6a8d537fdf64da.JPGDSC02836.thumb.JPG.da4d94179e4c377350b9e927301b618d.JPGDSC02841.thumb.JPG.3b0d196f6b93f561aac181fef40c4cb9.JPGDSC02843.thumb.JPG.d17f3ec14e6b3f91811610da1909add1.JPG

• Like 24

We were in Qaqortoq in 2012 on the second half of our VOV on the Maasdam. We missed another port in Greenland on the first leg of the cruise as we were outrunning a gale.

A friend from the cruise celebrated her birthday that day. Abra was, and still is, very happy to say that not many people have celebrated a birthday in Qaqortoq. 😀

We finished the celebration that night in the Pinnacle.

Deen

• Like 19

33 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a rainy day at the beach.

Again thank you to all of my CC friends for your support and prayers for my family. Never thought we would be in this situation.  You all make me happy everyday with the pictures, the quotes, recipes and the genuine concern for each other. Most of all you give hope that we all will be cruising again soon.  

We went for the Covid test yesterday, waiting on results. So far, 14 family members ( all in MA) have tested positive, one hospitalized.  I dont have any symptoms but we are still in quarantine until we receive the results.

Be Safe and dont let your guard down.

You were all put into an awful situation by an unforgivably inconsiderate and uncaring individual. If I were you, I would be really angry. The whole thing is disgusting. We wish you the best as you try to deal with it.

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, Himself said:

Good morning Rich and all DAILYITES. Thanks for the fleet report meal suggestion and drink.  I love it!  A year ago today I disemarked the Koningsdam, never dreaming that it would be well over a year before I would have the opportunity to sail again.  

My friend and I were on that voyage with you....we were all so lucky to have taken it and to have gotten home before all broke loose. We enjoyed meeting you!

Good morning everyone and thanks to all for the daily....loving all the pictures...we are getting to "travel" again!

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 16

Good morning Dailyites.

Caregivers certainly deserve appreciation. I want all to be happy. I like mulled wine, especially the Glühwein – German Mulled Wine from the Christmas markets. I have a collection of cups from a Christmas market tour in 2014.

The meal and drink of the day sound tasty.

Greenland is another place I've never been. It's nice seeing everyone's pictures.

It's sunny and going up to 50°F today! Yay, even if only temporary.

I heard from the Health Dept. yesterday. They acknowledged I received my 1st dose of the vaccine between February 8-13. They are receiving limited vaccine. Rather than schedule appointments that may have to be canceled if there is further delay, they will be scheduling appointments once vaccine is received. They said that any delay in when the second shot is administered remains in line with guidance from the CDC which recommends that vaccines may be administered up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose.

@cunnorl Prayers for your family. I hope your results are negative. I'm still angry at this selfish person who put others in danger!

@StLouisCruisers Hopefully the sling is all that's needed.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. I'm surprised that Texas is completely opening up and hope it's not a mistake.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21

Good morning from a sunny southwest Arizona.  Unfortunately, our winds are supposed to pick up later this morning. ,In addition to the high wind warning, we are under a red flag warning.  It is so dry here, there is a danger of wildfires even in the desert, but not very likely.

@cunnorl  I was sorry to read that even more of your family was infected by a that very inconsiderate person.  Good thoughts that your tests will be negative.

@Seasick Sailor  We were surprised too that Gov. Abbott lifted the mandates.  Grocery shopping before he put the mandates in place on June 2, was always a challenge trying to avoid the unmasked.  We will be heading back to Texas in a few weeks, and I need to see the dentist, so I hope he'll still be extra cautious.

We have been lucky enough to visit Qaqaortog twice, once in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess and again in 2017 on the Prinsendam.  The weather the first time was cold and rainy, but in 2017, we had a nice sunny day.

This is one of the buildings as it was in 2009.

IMG_6091.thumb.JPG.22e34c033c3fbd28cd62b2d07862d639.JPG

And the same building in 2017.

DSC09665.thumb.JPG.0f6754f918d543b0f25b4c4d2ead98ea.JPG

We were looking forward to seeing that car again.

A stone statue..

DSC09641.thumb.JPG.e643ce2a88b696b491a56d3b911f130d.JPG

An overview of the town.  Like most towns in Greenland, the houses are brightly painted.

DSC09656.thumb.JPG.7c1400aacac3c0a0fc7d5728d8b7a994.JPG

On the westbound  passage through Prince Christian Sund, we anchored in an open area, and the Capitan (who can't be named on CC) and several others from the ship went ashore to visit with the villagers.  On the eastbound passage, we again anchored and were allowed to go ashore in groups of about 250 for no more than an hour.  Aappilatiog was a very small village and you could see everything in the allotted time.  Many of us were disappointed that very few of the villagers were around.  We found out later, the entire village except a few people were on the Prinsendam enjoying pizza and hamburgers.  While their grocery store had a good variety of provisions, they did return with several boxes of goodies.

Inside the grocery store, which was also a general store.

DSC09689.thumb.JPG.ab7af976ecf3ec98055b4a3c0f39f0bb.JPG

DSC09690.thumb.JPG.0f508e55436a36b86bf268b1ff9d0093.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26

Good morning all!

What a great collection of days. Caregivers should be honored every day, as should wanting others to be happy. 🙂  DD gifted us some mulled wine last Christmas -- it was quite tasty even though it's not my favorite (red wine) 😉   The quote is so true. That pork chop dinner looks like a winner, and very much like a recipe I've made before.  @dfishI love balsamic vinegar too!!

@richwmnwhat a great cruise that was!  Is my memory wrong, or wasn't @Himselfon that cruise too?  It could have been another cruise, but I remember him telling us that the fog horns made it hard to sleep (his cabin was near them).

@cunnorlI have been shocked and saddened to hear about what your family is going through.  Prayers that all will be ok and your tests will be negative.  

@StLouisCruiserswe took the same walk the day we were in Qaqortoq -- great day!

@ger_77the way I heard the name pronounced was "calk-or-talk"  ("l" silent)

Here are some photos I took of our day there, starting with a view from the ship and ending with icebergs seen from the tender back.  It was a beautiful bright sunny day in July 2018, about 45-50F.  We didn't take any tour that day, we enjoyed walking through the town and up into the hills.  The only problem was the tiny black flies.  Thankfully I'd been warned, maybe by @dfishand others, so I had lots of insect wipes and used them.  They flew in my face but never landed.  I did see a few people with the hats with netting, they were smart. 

I hope to do the VOV again some day, loved every minute of it.  The thing that looks like a blurry flying saucer in the photo of the village is a tiny black fly coming at me. 😄

view from water.jpg

off tender.jpg

fish carvings.jpg

face carvings.jpg

town.jpg

looking down from hillside.jpg

school house.jpg

bar.jpg

icebergs from tender.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser do you mean Captain D. D.?  😂  We also love to look inside grocery stores when in port.  You find the most fascinating things!

@Cruising-alongthat pronunciation was the way we were told, too.  After a while it becomes second nature to be able to pronounce it.  I'm sorry you had the flies there.  We never experienced that problem but maybe because we were later in the season both times (Sept. and August).  The worst biting fly issue we ever had was in Red Bay, Canada.  Or in another of our ports in Greenland.  I will have to check where.  Actually, I think I remember the fly issue in both Canada and Greenland.  It really makes you miserable.

• Like 15

I just heard back from DS about DGS.  He has to wear his arm sling for 4 more weeks and no activity for 6 weeks.  I'm thankful the bone didn't break completely through or that would have been a disaster.  He is off ibuprofen and was only on hydrocodone over the weekend.  His real season of soccer begins in 6 weeks, so he will be rusty but will get back in shape quickly I would bet.  Thanks for thinking about him everyone.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily!😊

Yes, we have been to Greenland ( as well as Iceland as a port stopand can even pronounce Qaqortog, LOL.🤓

Caregivers are such special people...a big thanks to them!

👍Remembering the mulled wine from the Christmas Market river cruise and hoping to return this December? 🤞

🙏Prayers to all in need.

16147884328537930013366044254632.png

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Cruising-alongthat pronunciation was the way we were told, too.  After a while it becomes second nature to be able to pronounce it.  I'm sorry you had the flies there.  We never experienced that problem but maybe because we were later in the season both times (Sept. and August).  The worst biting fly issue we ever had was in Red Bay, Canada.  Or in another of our ports in Greenland.  I will have to check where.  Actually, I think I remember the fly issue in both Canada and Greenland.  It really makes you miserable.

Thanks -- I had a hard time writing the pronunciation, CC didn't like my first choice lol.

That port was the only one we had the fly problem on the whole 38 days thank goodness.  But we weren't able to get to Red Bay because of the weather. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@richwmnwhat a great cruise that was!  Is my memory wrong, or wasn't @Himselfon that cruise too?  It could have been another cruise, but I remember him telling us that the fog horns made it hard to sleep (his cabin was near them).

We had 3 Clergy on that cruise that all attended the M&G. I don't remember if it was @Himself but someone did mention that the foghorn disturbed their sleep.

• Like 12

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

We had a New England/Canada/Greenland cruise scheduled for this past September and I believe Qaqortoq was one of the ports.  It wasn’t a full VOV but I was so excited about it, bummed that it isn’t offered again.  The full VOV is too long for us right now.   I’m enjoying all the pictures. Maybe someday!

Great combo of days but will pass on the mulled wine. The meal suggestions both sound good but I would really like to have Roy’s dessert. 

We didn’t have lamb yesterday, I ended up making mussels which are DH absolute favorite. 

758E5574-4905-44DE-BD7E-5BBA0FB95987.thumb.jpeg.5a61333065fb26a13a24fa99bce84b29.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich, Roy, sweet sisters Ann and Denise, fellow Daily-ites. 

Thank you for gifting us with the Daily Rich.

Well, I'm pretty surprised Gov Abbott announced the reopening of Texas. We're still sticking with our protocols..

The guys really accomplished alot of the stonework on the patio. They didn't leave til after 6:30. They snacked off the sausage, cheese and crackers and a few cans of beer we left for them.. that must have kept them going 😉

I had a haircut planned for this afternoon but friends invited us to lunch, so I rescheduled my cut. It's supposed to be 71 today and sunny. A great day to enjoy lunch on Pappadeaux's patio. 

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

Love Pappadeaux!  Sigh! Our restaurants just reopened but we can only go with people we live with. 

• Like 13

I just ran across a photo taken in Qaqortoq in the Brugseni grocery store parking lot.  There is a church right there next to the grocery store.  As you can see you have to pay close attention while backing up or even driving forward with that huge rock they left in the middle of the parking lot.  It must have been too big to move, so no texting and driving please!

enhance

How exciting!  We just got the mail which included a fancy brochure for the 2022 Seabourn World Cruise.  It says if 2022 is too soon for us we can book the 2023 World Cruise.  Anyway, it begins in Los Angeles and ends in...Piraeus!  You'd think they'd end up back in the U.S.  It's 145 days long and does Hawaii, South Pacific, New Zealand, Australia, Philippines, Japan, China, Southeast Asia, Sri Lanka, Middle East and Holy Land.  At their prices I'll just have to dream about it.  

• Like 20

36 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

We had a New England/Canada/Greenland cruise scheduled for this past September and I believe Qaqortoq was one of the ports.  It wasn’t a full VOV but I was so excited about it, bummed that it isn’t offered again.  The full VOV is too long for us right now.   I’m enjoying all the pictures. Maybe someday!

Great combo of days but will pass on the mulled wine. The meal suggestions both sound good but I would really like to have Roy’s dessert. 

We didn’t have lamb yesterday, I ended up making mussels which are DH absolute favorite. 

758E5574-4905-44DE-BD7E-5BBA0FB95987.thumb.jpeg.5a61333065fb26a13a24fa99bce84b29.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Yum!  Love your dishes! 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, richwmn said:

We had 3 Clergy on that cruise that all attended the M&G. I don't remember if it was @Himself but someone did mention that the foghorn disturbed their sleep.

I think it was Himself, I remember talking to him in the Lido about it -- hopefully he sees this and can confirm. 🙂 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Yum!  Love your dishes! 

Thank you!  I do too. I wish they made more than just these bowls. I do have matching mugs. Blue is my favorite color. 

5851D54F-03DD-4461-A637-777470CE247F.thumb.jpeg.4f448df31e95c3fb43739acf6ee6ab64.jpeg

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Picture
  • Like 13

Good morning and thanks all!

We love big Italian reds like Amarone, Brunello but haven’t tried this one!  so another one to discover.   

Hmmm,  does flying over Greenland count?  Those photos make me want to go there!  I’m a fair weather sailor, wondering generally how are the seas?  

AA4CEE45-42CC-4CCC-B2B2-658CEA0178E2.jpeg

• Like 19