The Daily for Thursday Mar 18, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  An excellent selection of days.  Eminem nailed it.  I've been to Belize City twice but at least not directly with HAL.   I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Raspberry Soup, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast, and Apple Cinnamon Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam March 18, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes18.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Cunnorl’s BIL hospitalized and declining

RIP Ger-77's Freind

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including SirPMP

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Prompt delivery of Debbie’s new appliances

Mary229's brother with open heart surgery

Jabs for StLouisCruisers DD, Vict0riann and DH. Ger-77's DH, NextOne DH, Horizon Chaser 1957's DH

Road trip for USN59-79 and DS

Nieuw Statendam in Everglades Sunday

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:

It will be nice to see the Nieuw Statendam in Ft. Lauderdale.  Thanks for the "heads up."

• Like 6

The anniversary and date stuff got me intrigued on this miserable stormy morning.

Since I found a way to find when Rich started the Fleet Report (now the Daily).  It took a bit of time so since I was that far along I decided to check to see when I started doing the Bon Voyage and FCL threads.

OMG This is scary 😱. July 5th will make it 8 years!  😬 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We were in Belize City two years ago and had much the same experience as ger-77.  The bus ride was quite an adventure, but the docent was outstanding and made up for the bumps and bruises with her wonderful stories and geography lessons.  Should have said we too went on a tour to the Xunantunich Mayan ruins.  We also stopped for lunch at the local restaurant and experienced some of the local menu.  I had the fish (wish I could remember what kind) and my husband had the beef.  He loved the local beer, and asked for it on board but alas it was not stocked.  It was a very hot day so climbing to the top of the ruin was quite a challenge, but well worth it.  Many people on other tours complained about the long waits at the port.  Our tour was the longest so we got preferential treatment and no waits at all.  I need to get out the door so will share pictures later.

I wonder if the hurricane flooding damage has been restored.  I hope the port if still okay.  It was a tender port so maybe.

• Like 18

Good morning, all.   Sure hope no one here feels like @ger_77’s hangover cat !

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful thread.

We have only been to Belize City once, November 22, 2018.  It was the second port on our 11 day Cuban Explorer (Veendam).

We did not go into the city, but chose to just hang out close to the tender pier.  

We had lunch at the Wet Lizard (a unique experience).

DSCF3509.thumb.jpg.caefab6dfad72c79f14380bfbffe9a96.jpg

DSCF3514.thumb.jpg.2ccacbae8b52697c51af4df4a88a926a.jpg

DSCF3510.thumb.jpg.2822487bf830f2b4da1923d2037120c4.jpg

DH had the fried snapper – yummy.

DSCF3520.thumb.jpg.b2a43f7ebab469f2d2403a6fa0162292.jpg

I had fish tacos which were very good (but not as good as his fish).

DSCF3519.thumb.jpg.56b67a8fe475c89c489ed4fe530c670b.jpg

DSCF3515.jpg

• Like 24

Awkward moments aren’t always sharable. Here’s one that is: As a teacher of children with special educational needs, I liked to go out to the front of the school and meet the children as they were dropped off to make sure they were able to get safely to the room (I was teaching a group of preschool children with autism at the time). One of the student’s parents was always in a hurry because getting a young child with autism ready for school brings certain challenges and his boss at his work wasn’t interested in excuses.

Because he was in a hurry, he didn’t seem to care where he stopped his car, and often ended up in the bus zone. One morning I noticed he was just sitting in the bus zone in his car with the engine turned off and no son in the passenger seat, which was unusual. Since I knew this man well and a lot of big busses were trying to pull in to drop off students, I thought I could jump in the vehicle, share a little banter with him about him falling asleep at the wheel while he blocked the busses from unloading and give him a gentle reminder to move his car.

I jumped into the passenger seat and began to say something to him when I realized it wasn’t his car and I was looking at a total stranger while invading the sanctuary of his private vehicle.

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, kazu said:

The anniversary and date stuff got me intrigued on this miserable stormy morning.

Since I found a way to find when Rich started the Fleet Report (now the Daily).  It took a bit of time so since I was that far along I decided to check to see when I started doing the Bon Voyage and FCL threads.

OMG This is scary 😱. July 5th will make it 8 years!  😬 

It  was  always  very  special  to  receive  the  "Bon  Voyage"  after  being  on  the  FCL. Thanks  Jacqui.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites! It's a dreary rainy day in Central Virginia. I like to remind our neighbors that 'you don't have to shovel it!' You can take the ol' gal out of the Ottawa Valley, but ya can't take the Valley out of her!

Thankfully, we do not feel like the cat @ger_77 shared with us. Our 2nd Hermit Life St. Paddy's Day was very nice with smoked salmon appetizer, followed by rack of lamb and salad. And not so surpassingly, there was wine too!

Our dentist says the chompers are still going strong, which is always good to hear. Two of them are implants and I work very hard to ensure the 'investment' is worthwhile, LOL!

Yesterday, I had a substantial To Do list, so I didn't get to yesterday's Daily. Heading over now.

It's wonderful to read that so many are being able to access the vaccine!. Maybe, just maybe, our Alaska Cruisetour scheduled for May 2022 will happen. HAL Navigator tells informs us that it's 'only' 429 days until the journey starts!

-Cat

• Like 17

Yesterday my wonderful “kid” showed up with my grandkids. He did almost everything on my list of chores I’m not able to do. Including removing all of the jerry rigged wiring left by the last owners in my storage building and putting in new outlets and lights. Now I can safely plug in my new freezer. He bought a Japanese imported four wheel drive motor home and rewired it for US electric. Very different then most motor homes here and he updated the whole inside. They are just returning from two weeks driving the length is our state’s coastline. And he planned two days helping his mom. 

3ED74AB9-FAD7-462A-8EB1-5A30D6F51FFF.jpeg

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 25

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days.  I have an incredible son and daughter, I'll have to let them know they have a special day!  

Will pass on the meal today, and have never been to Belize but IF our Celebrity cruise happens in November, I'll be there on Nov. 30 on the brand new Apex.  So I'm looking forward to more photos.

The big news here today is that I'll be seeing my sister who I haven't seen in 16 months (Thanksgiving 2019).  We're both fully vaccinated now, it will be a wonderful reunion!  It's a 90-minute drive each way, almost into Canada LOL.  She's making lunch, I'm bringing Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits and the wine. I'll even sacrifice and bring her favorite wine, sweet (eww) Riesling. 😉  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days and quote.

I like Roy's meal, but will have leftover corned beef and cabbage tonight.

It's rainy here today, but going to be a nice weekend. Prayers for those having tornadoes. 

I've never been to Belize.

Congrats to those getting to see family!

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe!

• Like 14

Good morning.  We have two incredible kids who we celebrate everyday.  They are no longer kids, but very accomplished women, but they will always be my kids.  Don’t get me started on awkward moments.  I’d rather forget them instead of celebrate them.

While we don’t use biodiesel in the motorhome, it worth celebrating.  Willie Nelson started BioWillie at Carls Corner, which is about 20 miles from our place in Texas.  Willie was also born in our county.  In 1999, when funds to rebuild the county courthouse after a devastating fire ran short, he held a concert at the courthouse to raise the money. 

We have been to Belize, but only to a small island near the Blue Hole.  In 1989, were on an old NCL ship that had been converted into a dive boat/cruise ship.

@dfish Today’s meal suggestion looks interesting, and I’ll keep it for another day.

If the weather forecast holds, we will leave to here head to Texas a week from today.  We are slowly organizing and putting things on the motorhome, and doing the chores needed to close this place up for the summer.  Yesterday’s big chore was washing and waxing the car we keep here, so I’m a little sore today.

Lenda

• Like 15

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is .............................., and National Biodiesel Day

Eco Area | Car Talk

Better Biodiesel | Weizmann Wonder Wander - News, Features and Discoveries

Biofuels Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 13
  • Haha 8

Since we are doing a bit of "anniversary reminiscing", I first started posting regularly on the Daily (usually with pictures) on July 24, 2020. I haven't run out of photos yet but I better get the camera out soon! And I might have to go back into the hard copy archives (which are quite large) and start scanning old pictures to post.

I didn't make anything Irish last night but I did have a green drink (Last Word - Gin, Maraschino, Green Chartreuse, & lime) and listened to The Pouges and The Cranberries.

Road Trip! - Tomorrow, I will drive our son Niall (Irish name don'tcha know) to Cloquet, MN for his first Moderna shot. It is 2 hours north of the Twin Cities, almost to Duluth. He is a Public Defender and his office arranged the appointment - it was the closest one available! We will be able to stop at Toby's in Hinkley for their famous cinnamon rolls. 

Here are a couple of shots from our 1999 trip To Bisbee, AZ - 

026_24.thumb.jpeg.5e84e6c09adb5f6c0cf42c97530c7a2e.jpeg039_37.thumb.jpeg.5a3019bf2e49c515069e063acf56d619.jpeg037_35.thumb.jpeg.d532285a217f9df4a061d95be1278a2f.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

It's a 90-minute drive each way, almost into Canada LOL. 

Good thing it is just "almost" into Canada. One of our neighbors in Skykomish is a Canadian citizen and his 90 year old mom lives just over the border. He hasn't been able to visit her since last March.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Interesting day--and I need to quit hanging out with all of you people!!!! Yesterday I joined the appliance cursed households!  My dishwasher started leaking all over the floor.  Seems the bottom of it is full of water.  (Hadn't run it since Sunday).  After talking to a plumber this morning, I found out that the dishwasher is so old there won't be parts for it!  So, I conveyed the good news to my landlord's daughter.  So a new dishwasher is in my future.

Just 3 months after my DH died, I sailed on NCL to Belize.  My middle step-son lives in Belize and no one in the family had seen him in over 7 years since he moved there.  Went to NCL private island and at that time only way off it was to take their shore excursion.  So, I took the one to the ruins and he and his wife met me there.  I got to visit with them for about 4 hours, because they followed the tour bus to a spice farm.  Nice reunion.  (But I am not fond of NCL cruises.  Ship was way too big).

Bright sunny day here.  Guess they are still digging out in the mountains, with another storm predicted for Sunday.  All I can say is that the snow helps the drought conditions.

It is always nice to read that more and more folks are getting the vaccine.  Hope that is moving the cruise line's sailing dates closer!

Have a great day everyone.  I am so thankful that all contributors keep this wonderful site going.  I am sure that it brightens other's lives as it does mine.

• Like 18

Good morning, all. Another quiet and sunny day here. My allergies are telling me that Spring is in the air. We shall see.

I am enjoying all the port pictures and discussions. Makes me realize how much more traveling I need to do.

I have been tied up with the local Humane Society the last few days. Our phone system went out - not only for the shelter but also for the Thrift Store. Turns out a water leak had taken out a major component of our our equipment. We have managed to set up call forwarding to some private cell phones and upon investigation, it was decided that it was time to just invest in a new system. It should be in place in about a week. Meanwhile, we improvise.  And today I have a scheduled Zoom meeting to discuss kennel renovations. I suspect that when we start moving walls and pulling up flooring we are going to find more plumbing issues. And we have to keep the shelter open as we have contracts with the city and county for dog rescue and care. Methinks we will be hitting our reserves pretty hard. I am learning more about building than I really wanted to know.

Take care.... wear masks .... keep distance and get those vaccines when available as soon as you safely can. I am finding more friends who have had or have this nasty....

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone at the daily.  This really is a great place to visit during the day.

Just a rainy day here but not as chilly this am as it has been. 

Left over corned beef and veg tonight will most likely be hash.

Prayers to those on the care list and those who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Interesting day--and I need to quit hanging out with all of you people!!!! Yesterday I joined the appliance cursed households!  My dishwasher started leaking all over the floor.  Seems the bottom of it is full of water.  (Hadn't run it since Sunday).  After talking to a plumber this morning, I found out that the dishwasher is so old there won't be parts for it!  So, I conveyed the good news to my landlord's daughter.  So a new dishwasher is in my future.

At least you shouldn't be stuck with the bill.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich and Roy, and everybody for posting!  My arm is just a bit tender this morning, where I got my shot, but no redness or swelling and so far, no other side effects.  The nurse had said we should take it easy the next day, so that is my plan.  I even have leftover stew from a few nights ago sitting in the fridge, so that will be dinner tonight. Haven't been to the port of the day, so I'll add a few pictures from Butchart's, from a few days ago.  Not too much colour, but things are coming along.

IMG_5531.thumb.JPG.32abf74e32917075a63ba73e7bc724dc.JPG 

IMG_5549.thumb.JPG.8eba8c8afae262ea0fbf2c1319cdecae.JPG

IMG_5554.thumb.JPG.4f95bf20d20048a9854ccfcfb1660da4.JPG

IMG_5558.thumb.JPG.a0ef8b142ea2263e4964087505fc3e00.JPG

It is overcast right now, but we are due for a week of rain and slightly warmer temperatures, so things should start growing madly...

So interesting seeing all the dates when things started on this thread.  Great research!  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1