The Daily for Wednesday May 12, 2021

richwmn

Today is Fatigue Syndrome Day, International Nurses Day, and Limerick Day

"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything. - William Lyon Phelps"

Meal suggestion for today - Easy Steak Fajitas

Drink of the Day - Zombie

Wine of the day - Summer Water 2019 Rosé (Central Coast) Central Coast

Port of the Day - Kiritimati (Christmas Island) Kiribati

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/13
Noordam Drifting off Tijuana MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0512USA.thumb.png.fd1e03241db40072e3877e0402685bf4.png

0512Europe.thumb.png.1e8460c91b16fb5932591929a2958337.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day.

Another frosty morning here, but sunny.🙂

A big thank you to nurses.  I'm not sure I know any limericks that I can share here.😉

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, thanks.

Another port I've never been to, maybe someday.  Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Prayers for our world.  And an extra one for @rafinmd

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Fatigue Syndrome is a malicious illness.  My prayers go out to those suffering from it.  Love horses but limericks not so much.

LOL on the Phelps quote.  Fajitas sound good.  I’ll meet you 1/2 way with beef but it will be steak.  Perhaps fajitas tomorrow with the leftovers 😉 

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

Roy (rafinmd) facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

JazzyV eye issues

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

Sharon in AZ’s DGD quick recovery from concussion

Knee replacement recovery for redbird57 DH

NextOne’s DH recovering from surgery

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s recovery from knee surgery and her challenge caring for him

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab for ger_77’s DS & appointment for her DDIL

First jab for Happily@Sea

First jab for bennybear’s DS

Last radiation treatment for superoma

First jab appointment for 3 of 4 superoma’s grandchildren & appointment for the 4th.

Plumbing all fixed for rafinmd

Belated happy birthday to kplady

57redbird’s DH’s successful total knee surgery

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

A heads up to the Garden Club participants - Be sure to check your hostas at this time of the year.  If they have a hole in the middle, it is time to split.

BC0B3ACE-4F79-4FD4-939A-29CA0AACAAF2.thumb.jpeg.8cd05441ba510fe43230168449b398a3.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout out list.

Have a great Hump Day everyone!

0EC92262-944A-495E-B1B4-D0115F38D876.jpeg.72e8d1452c1d3cd5cae487ff180c5ca9.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  I’m going to have to research fatigue syndrome day. Nurses around the world are the true heroes.  My BIL has some antique Victorian books of truly filthy limericks, couldn’t share even the cleanest ones here! Fajitas sound nice but it’s vegetarian night here so we’ll pass.  Funny quote today.  Prayers to all in need especially Roy as he preps for surgery.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations including the jabbers.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Wednesday morning.  Nurses should have a day everyday.  Some limerick's make me LOL.  The meal sounds delicious.  I had to chuckle at the quote. 

DGS is going to be 3 in July and lives in NH.  I've been troubled thinking of getting a plane.  Although fully vaccinated I'm still extremely cautious about going out and about.  Got great news yesterday, they are coming down here for a week in August.  So excited!!

Prayers and toasts for our growing lists.

Great job Jacqui on first day.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Zombie:

The Zombie is a Tiki cocktail made of fruit juices, liqueurs, and various rums. It first appeared in late 1934, invented by Donn Beach at his Hollywood Don the Beachcomber restaurant. It was popularized on the East coast soon afterwards at the 1939 New York World's Fair. Wikipedia
Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces Jamaican rum
1 1/2 ounces Puerto Rican gold rum
1 ounce 151-proof demerara rum
1/8 teaspoon Herbsaint or Pernod
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce falernum
1/2 ounce Donn’s mix*
1 teaspoon grenadine
1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: mint sprig

Steps
Add the rums, Herbsaint or Pernod, lime juice, falernum, Donn’s mix, grenadine and bitters into a blender, then add 6 ounces of crushed ice.
Blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds.
Pour the contents into a tall glass or Tiki mug, add ice cubes to fill, and garnish with a mint sprig.
*Donn’s mix: Bring 3 crushed cinnamon sticks, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and let sit for at least 2 hours before straining into a clean glass bottle. Then add 1 part of the syrup and 2 parts of fresh grapefruit juice together.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 6.59.44 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.  

I feel deeply for those with fatigue syndrome.   I suffer from fatigue when my thyroid decides to take a rest.  Nurses always deserve our thanks.   My dad loved limericks and enjoyed trying to write them.  He had quite the collection.  His last limerick was the following:

Turning 90 isn't bad

When I remember all the fun I had

My six kids will all agree

The finest trait displayed by me:

I am the world's greatest Dad.  

We learned what was most important to him and I suspect to most people - the relationships they have with others, be it kids, parents, spouses, siblings, life long friends.

Today's meal looks really good.   I could do this and leave off the tortillas.  Or look for the low carb ones in the grocery store.  Some times it is quite a hunt.  

https://damndelicious.net/2019/10/24/easy-steak-fajitas/

Easy-Steak-FajitasIMG_0418.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich, and Kazu for the lists.  I've been feeling like I have Fatigue Syndrome lately but checked and it is "for no known cause".  Limericks are great.  I'll be depending a lot on nurses over the next week.  I love the Phelps Quote.  I hope we'll have some photos of Christmas Island, never been there.  The meal suggestion sounds interesting.  My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Garden Wedge Salad with Grilled Chicken, and Strawberry Ice Cream, my embarkation lunch on MS Veendam May 14, 2016.

Roy

• Like 28

On October 21, 2020 @summer slope posted this recipe for a Zombie:

1 part Apricot brandy
1 part Dark rum
1 part Golden rum
1 part white rum
1 part lime juice
1 part pineapple juice
1/2 part 151-proof rum

Mix ingredients other than the 151 in a shaker with ice. Pour into glass and top with the high-proof rum.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cherry

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thinking of you Roy, looking forward to your speedy recovery! Cheers to the nurses of the world - I thank you!

Thank you for stepping in, Jacqui! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! 
Fun quote. Meal sounds good. Pass on the drink. I have never heard of today’s port before today, though I have heard of Christmas Island. It is going to be wild here today. My neighbors are having a new roof installed. The removing the old roof is one thing, but Bindi hates the sound of the nail gun when the shingles are installed. And she barks as if we are being invaded, when they roofers talk or sing. Sigh. I may send her to Daycare, on that day. 

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

A dry rosé with excellent ratings and a price starting at $13.88! I do not usually gravitate towards rosés, but I would love to try this one. After all it is a “serious wine”. 

Winemaker Notes

#56 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

This dry rosé reflects the pale pink promise of the perfect warm-weather wine. It’s delightfully crisp, lighthearted, and destined for a good time. The grapes for this Central Coast Grenache and Syrah blend were picked early in the season to achieve a natural acidity that’s ideal for summer drinking. To ensure as little extraction from the skins as possible, we used the direct press method, retaining the delicate fruit aromas and pale color rosé is known for. The result is light, aromatic, and dry - with notes of melon, peach, rose, and citrus. Summer-friendly fare like shellfish, ceviche, and salads will pair swimmingly or just drink it chilled with the ones you love.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast: A pale salmon-pink color in the glass, this widely available bottling of 85% Grenache and 15% Syrah delivers a fantastic nose of melon, bubblegum and soft rose petals. It's clean and chalky on the palate, with a light cantaloupe flavor and a surprisingly long finish.

WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The 2019 Summer Water® Rosé is an excellent example of a well-made, serious wine. This wine is bright and fresh with aromas and flavors of lively, red fruits, and savory spices. Pair it with a serving of crispy skin, pork belly, and a side salad of red leaf lettuce and arugula. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Fatigue Syndrome is a malicious illness.  My prayers go out to those suffering from it.  Love horses but limericks not so much.

LOL on the Phelps quote.  Fajitas sound good.  I’ll meet you 1/2 way with beef but it will be steak.  Perhaps fajitas tomorrow with the leftovers 😉 

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

India

JazzyV eye issues

First jab appointment for 3 of 4 superoma’s grandchildren & appointment for the 4th.

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

A heads up to the Garden Club participants - Be sure to check your hostas at this time of the year.  If they have a hole in the middle, it is time to split.

BC0B3ACE-4F79-4FD4-939A-29CA0AACAAF2.thumb.jpeg.8cd05441ba510fe43230168449b398a3.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout out list.

Jacqui:

Thank you for pinch hitting for Roy.  Thanks for the care and shout out list.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

On October 21, 2020 @summer slope posted this recipe for a Zombie:

1 part Apricot brandy
1 part Dark rum
1 part Golden rum
1 part white rum
1 part lime juice
1 part pineapple juice
1/2 part 151-proof rum

Mix ingredients other than the 151 in a shaker with ice. Pour into glass and top with the high-proof rum.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cherry

This sounds so sweet.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

The removing the old roof is one thing, but Bindi hates the sound of the nail gun when the shingles are installed. And she barks as if we are being invaded, when they roofers talk or sing. Sigh. I may send her to Daycare, on that day.

That’s a really good idea if I may say so.  It will spare Bindi the noise and stress.  One of the reasons my dogs are temporarily at their “vacation home”.   Too many restrictions and risks with the staining.  They can enjoy their equine view and their walks with the horses instead 😉 

• Like 16

Taking a crack for Limerick Day...

I wish that we'd get back to cruising.

The travel, sightseeing, and boozing.

We're all stuck at home,

But wish we could roam...

And make up for trips we are losing.

Pretty sure that I got the meter right.

• Like 44
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Taking a crack for Limerick Day...

I wish that we'd get back to cruising.

The travel, sightseeing, and boozing.

We're all stuck at home,

But wish we could roam...

And make up for trips we are losing.

Pretty sure that I got the meter right.

That sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 12

Good Wednesday morning everyone!  It's a rainy day in Georgia, so a good day to read, watch TV, do housework, or read the Daily on CC.

Prayers to all on our care list today, especially @rafinmd.  Roy, we have your back and will be happy to see you back when you are ready.  Thanks go out to @kazufor taking over Roy's lists for him.  Cheers for all on the celebration list today.  So glad when there is good news.

Happy belated birthday to @kplady.  I'm sorry but I didn't read about it until this morning!  Hope you had a great day!

First of all I haven't been to Kiritimati, known as Christmas Island, before so I have no photos to share.  Hopefully someone here has been there once and can help us out.  Another place to put on our Bucket List, eh?

The quote of the day is cute, and the fajitas sound and look so good.  Fatigue Syndrome day is something I'm not familiar with.  Love to hear all the limericks, and of course nurses should be celebrated every day.  Thank you to those who are currently caring for DMIL and DS!

Enjoy your day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Fatigue is an awful feeling. Lately, I haven’t been sleeping too well and I seem to be tired when I wake up. It’s partially because my nose is stuffy and I’m not sleeping through the night.

Now that the FDA has given approval for the 12 to15 year olds to be vaccinated, my two 15 year olds will be next in line. 

Thanks for filling in for Roy, Jacqui. I know we all appreciate it.

Prayers for all who need them, and stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 15

49 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My neighbors are having a new roof installed. The removing the old roof is one thing, but Bindi hates the sound of the nail gun when the shingles are installed. And she barks as if we are being invaded, when they roofers talk or sing. Sigh. I may send her to Daycare, on that day. 

Mine took a week, they ended up having to replace the whole platform. Hope your neighbor's is only one day. 

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 10

As soon as the announcement was made about 12-15 year old children being approved for Pfizer, my DS and DDIL made an appointment for their 14 year old to get his shot on Monday.  They're waiting until after his weekend soccer games so he can recuperate from aches, pains, etc. without affecting his playing ability.  His team recently won the Great Lakes regional championship and next up is Michigan state championship in early June.  Their family of 4 will be completely vaccinated very soon!💉

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 22

Good  morning  to  all. I  am  happy  to  salute nurses  every  day  and  love  limericks. Chronic  Fatigue  is quite  debilitating  and  still  misunderstood   at  times. The  type  of  arthritis  I  have  had  most  of  my  life  can  produce  periodic  fatigue  with  flare ups  and  made  me  very  aware  of this  problem.

The  recipe  of  the  day looks  festive  and  may  be  tried  when  the  ingredients  are in   the  house.

Thanks  for  the  lists   Jacqui!  I  went  outside  and  looked  at  the  hostas  and  the  only  holes  were  the  one's  the  Bronx woodland  creatures  are  digging  nightly. We  have  a  very  fat  possum  and  several  raccoons   that  check  out  the  flowers  and  bushes  nightly. As  a  garden  club  cheerleader I  take  my  responsibilities  seriously  and  passed  on  the  info to  DD. She  asked  if  anyone  had  suggestions  about  rosebush  illness causing  spotted  leaves. We  can't  blame  the  roguish  woodland  creatures  for  that  one!           Terry

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

India

JazzyV eye issues

Good morning Jacqui. Thank you for Roy Report. Great job on your first day in office!  One of my hosta has a healthy root system but the leaves are thumb sized. The rest are flourishing..

• Like 13