The Daily for Wednesday May 12, 2021

richwmn

Happy day everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich!  Great mix of days.....  I've had chronic fatigue off and on since I had Valley Fever in 1985 but never was officially diagnosed as such.  Nurses are the unsung heroes of the medical field, always thank a nurse.  I couldn't write a Limerick if I tried but have really enjoyed all the ones posted today!

Thank you for the lists Jacqui @kazu.  I love your gardening tips even if I'm only a cheerleader on the sidelines in the Official Daily Garden Club.  I wouldn't know what a hosta looked like (even with pictures) let alone how to split one if it had a hole in the middle.   I'm praying and thinking of everyone on the lists today.  Thanks for putting DGD on the list.  She is doing really well and has slept a lot!  She is with me today while DS works.  For those who don't know, DS is a single dad and has had custody since she was really small.

Fajitas are good but I don't usually make them or eat them out.  I'm going to check the freezer for tonight's meal.  The wine today sounds like something I might like.  I had a lovely Rose Sparkling wine as a cocktail in Las Vegas and really enjoyed it, but I can't post a picture now because I'm on our PC right now.

@Overhead FredI'm going to post my basic quiche recipe in a separate post later today.  I've never really written it down.....  so today is the day I can do that!  Thanks for the inspiration. 

Have a great day everyone!  Happy Wednesday!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 14

On November 29, 2005, we were anchored off Christmas Island, Kiribati, aboard Amsterdam.  The first tenders to shore got into unexpected shallow areas that scraped their bottoms.  Very few passengers were able to get there, as our visit became unsafe, and we sailed away after the tenders returned.  My pictures show a long and low stretch of land, our view from the ship.  

• Like 10

My contribution to the hostas...

Doing very well and with a few flower heads.  My roses have had a difficult spring, but very happy with the  hostas.  (I almost never upload photos, so wish me luck that it’s not teeny-tiny or ginormous or sideways or upside down lol)

FC278435-EE6D-452E-A92D-6B8C7CBBCEF8.thumb.jpeg.1f0d9ced87a05506d05da348606d3a93.jpeg

• Like 20

Well I made it home from grocery shopping. Going a month in between really pushes the trip into a different realm. Half hour there, one hour shopping, half hour back home and two hours bringing into the house and putting away. 
I am praying for all our family here that need it and will raise a glass tonight to celebrate with others. 

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Well I made it home from grocery shopping. Going a month in between really pushes the trip into a different realm. Half hour there, one hour shopping, half hour back home and two hours bringing into the house and putting away. 
I am praying for all our family here that need it and will raise a glass tonight to celebrate with others. 

Yes, going a month or even two weeks does put shopping in a new dimension, but there is an up side.  You don't have to go shopping and put things away as often.

Lenda

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Hostas are risky for me because Bambi thinks that they're delicious. For the places where a hosta would make sense, I would plant brunneras.

BRJF_0_Brunnera_Jack_Frost.1489703752.jp

Very pretty!  Thanks for showing us an alternative.

• Like 8

Keeping the good vibes going - @NextOne, prayers for a good outcome for your DH; @JazzyV, prayers for an easy scan that produces nothing but good news, and @57redbird, prayers for your DH as he recuperates from his knee replacement.  I'm adding extra for you as his caregiver, because I know how taxing it can be; I was DH's when he had his multiple heart attacks, sextuple bypass, and then a few years later, his knee replacement.  Caregivers at home should be given medals - or at least an extra ration of wine now and then.

May be an image of text that says 'EARLY HALLOWEEN COSTUME? GARDEN CENTER RECEIPT Oж11 201000'

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 21
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

All this recent talk about Hostas has me adding one or two to my next garden center run.

They are an easy perennial (until you have to split them 😞- that’s hard work) but they go sometime before they need it.

They grow well in shady areas and some varieties even like sun.

Their greenery add to a garden all season long.  Some like the flowers, some don’t.  Me?  I like them and then clip off the stalks when they die.

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Hostas are risky for me because Bambi thinks that they're delicious. For the places where a hosta would make sense, I would plant brunneras.

BRJF_0_Brunnera_Jack_Frost.1489703752.jp

Very pretty.  You’re right.  Deer think hostas are like ice cream.  Just like lilies.  They love them.

Mine are behind fencing so Bambi can grumble and growl but they are out of their reach 😉 

One time one brave deer couldn’t resist and jumped my 6’ fence in the back yard.  My solution was simple.  Let the dogs out.  LOL.

I never saw a deer jump back out so fast.

Every time I think of that, I keep thinking of the chant “who let the dogs out”. 😂 

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

Good morning, all! Fatigue Syndrome is a terrible thing. The only good thing is that it is finally recognized. With all that Nurses have been through, they deserve at least a month of recognition if not more. Limericks are always fun. @POA1, well done sir. Well done.

@kazugood job on Day 1 of filling in for Roy. For his sake and yours, May it be a short assignment.

I printed another scarf yesterday. I played a bit with the leaves and tannins, so the colouring is different. The new one is pale gold, although in the pictures it looks white or beige. I like how it looked before the secondary soaking. Next time I’ll remember that combo.

DH is off to the dentist shortly to get a crown on the tooth that had root canal work last week. My poor sweetie! He had a video visit with his brother in ICU in Montreal this morning. He had a list of things to tell him and reminisce about. His brother can’t talk, or really respond, but his eyelids and lips move when he finds something funny or moving, so we know he can hear and understand.

DD in Taiwan got an appointment for her first jab. It isn’t until June 4, so it’s lucky their numbers are so low. Vaccine is in short supply there, as China is blocking their access and pressuring other countries not to supply Taiwan. The only vaccine they have been able to get is Astra Zeneca - I’m not sure where they’re getting it from. I’m happy she was able to get an appointment at all!

The Rieslings have finished the destructive stage, and just sort of play through as they travel between the doghouse and the neighborhood. Life is happy again.

The new scarf.

6186DB2E-B01A-4D1E-B868-1BFB2FCAF7CD.thumb.jpeg.c649dc8dd70e69d3e43418291be928ca.jpeg

6B07BBF3-AB83-44D4-A034-CA128D5F1402.thumb.jpeg.a7cf9d605087a35fa5c4e57b19481a1f.jpeg

Both scarves together. The peach one is off to its forever home in the morning.

0B92AFFF-43B5-44C4-A8E7-EBF2F2840D13.thumb.jpeg.ee17d3dd71afc0e041068089776993c7.jpeg

In lieu of a limerick. It would make a good subject for one.

DB6802FD-D75D-431B-8F0E-D38EC0AF01E5.thumb.jpeg.8cdaff54e844e71c54ec82051e7dbb5f.jpeg

And of course, Happy Wednesday, as our BHB’s await our return!

546B3803-CAF4-4FA7-8C24-2E922CFE6B25.thumb.jpeg.bdcc15db14606da4964a669c376d48f9.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, NextOne said:

Happy Wednesday,  friends!

Jacqui, I have an update on DH for the Care List. Yesterday, he had more MRIs of the brain. The two lesions detected two weeks ago have grown aggressively,  so the doctors are recommending five days of targeted intense radiation to shrink them to the point of elimination.  DH agrees, so the treatments will start tomorrow.  Prayers welcomed!!

Thanks!

I’m so sorry this has happened. My prayers are with you and your DH indeed! Wishing for great success with the targeted radiation and a speedy recovery!

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Fatigue Syndrome is a terrible thing. The only good thing is that it is finally recognized. With all that Nurses have been through, they deserve at least a month of recognition if not more. Limericks are always fun. @POA1, well done sir. Well done.

@kazugood job on Day 1 of filling in for Roy. For his sake and yours, May it be a short assignment.

I printed another scarf yesterday. I played a bit with the leaves and tannins, so the colouring is different. The new one is pale gold, although in the pictures it looks white or beige. I like how it looked before the secondary soaking. Next time I’ll remember that combo.

DH is off to the dentist shortly to get a crown on the tooth that had root canal work last week. My poor sweetie! He had a video visit with his brother in ICU in Montreal this morning. He had a list of things to tell him and reminisce about. His brother can’t talk, or really respond, but his eyelids and lips move when he finds something funny or moving, so we know he can hear and understand.

DD in Taiwan got an appointment for her first jab. It isn’t until June 4, so it’s lucky their numbers are so low. Vaccine is in short supply there, as China is blocking their access and pressuring other countries not to supply Taiwan. The only vaccine they have been able to get is Astra Zeneca - I’m not sure where they’re getting it from. I’m happy she was able to get an appointment at all!

The Rieslings have finished the destructive stage, and just sort of play through as they travel between the doghouse and the neighborhood. Life is happy again.

The new scarf.

6186DB2E-B01A-4D1E-B868-1BFB2FCAF7CD.thumb.jpeg.c649dc8dd70e69d3e43418291be928ca.jpeg

6B07BBF3-AB83-44D4-A034-CA128D5F1402.thumb.jpeg.a7cf9d605087a35fa5c4e57b19481a1f.jpeg

0B92AFFF-43B5-44C4-A8E7-EBF2F2840D13.thumb.jpeg.ee17d3dd71afc0e041068089776993c7.jpeg

DB6802FD-D75D-431B-8F0E-D38EC0AF01E5.thumb.jpeg.8cdaff54e844e71c54ec82051e7dbb5f.jpeg

546B3803-CAF4-4FA7-8C24-2E922CFE6B25.thumb.jpeg.bdcc15db14606da4964a669c376d48f9.jpeg

Another pretty scarf.

I imagine your DH will be glad to put the dentist behind him for a while.  It is good that he can visit with his DB and that his DB can understand him.  

When I was cutting my hair it almost looked like the picture, but without the palm tree. 😁

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The new scarf.

Your scarves are beautiful, Laura. I still want the blouse you showed us last year. 

• Like 9

For @Overhead Fredand anyone else who is interested:

thumbnail?appid=aolwebmail&size=400w

Spinach Gruyere Quiche

1 store-bought pie crust 

10-ounces  frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed to remove extra water 

6 ounces shredded Gruyere

1 1/2 cups half-and-half 

8 eggs 

Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Press the pie crust into a 9 inch springform pan (you can also use a deep dish pie pan). Layer the spinach into the crust and top with the cheese.  Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet.

Whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the crust so as not to mix or disturb the ingredients too much. 

Lightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until set and the crust is golden brown, another 10 to 15 minutes. Let the quiche sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from the pan, slice and serve.

Notes:

I use a pre-grated swiss/gruyere combo in a bag that I buy at TJ’s.  I’m sure you could use any cheese or combo of cheese you love.

It always looks like the crust in the springform pan is too small (it doesn’t come up the sides far enough) and it seems like a lot of eggs but it works perfectly when using the springform pan.  Just don’t overfill it above the pie crust.

I hardly ever have half and half on hand so I substitute with a combination of half milk and half cream.

You can use any combination of ingredients you like. I’ve even made it with crab as a splurge.  Spinach is just one of my favorite ways.

Enjoy!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Back from the CT. I held my breath as this was with contrast. I'd had a big water loss after I finished a course of high dose steroids last week, and I was concerned my kidney level might not pass muster for the contrast, although I've been drinking fluids. But it was fine. So now to wait for the results. They want to make sure there's nothing behind the eye (which of course is worrisome) or in the sinus below the eye socket like a mucocele or if the plate in my eye socket has shifted.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Beautiful scarves

@Sharon in AZ I'll have to try your quiche recipe, maybe crustless as I'm doing low carb right now.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NextOne said:

Happy Wednesday,  friends!

Jacqui, I have an update on DH for the Care List. Yesterday, he had more MRIs of the brain. The two lesions detected two weeks ago have grown aggressively,  so the doctors are recommending five days of targeted intense radiation to shrink them to the point of elimination.  DH agrees, so the treatments will start tomorrow.  Prayers welcomed!!

Thanks!

Prayers for your DH that the treatments work and he is well soon.

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I'll have to try your quiche recipe, maybe crustless as I'm doing low carb right now.

Crustless would be just as yummy!!  Good to hear your scan is done. Hopefully the results will be back soon. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Back from the CT. I held my breath as this was with contrast. I'd had a big water loss after I finished a course of high dose steroids last week, and I was concerned my kidney level might not pass muster for the contrast, although I've been drinking fluids. But it was fine. So now to wait for the results. They want to make sure there's nothing behind the eye (which of course is worrisome) or in the sinus below the eye socket like a mucocele or if the plate in my eye socket has shifted.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Beautiful scarves

@Sharon in AZ I'll have to try your quiche recipe, maybe crustless as I'm doing low carb right now.

I’m glad you were able to get through it.

Praying the results hep you. 🙏🏻.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Horizon chaser 1957 Are the natural “dyes” in the scarves permanent?

(I’ve had it in the back of my mind to try this when you first shared your work.)

Part of the art is learning which ones are permanent and which are fugitive and just leave you with a slightly dirty looking blank scarf a few months later. And some give you colours you don’t expect. Avocado pits give you pink, which will fade on its own unless mixed with something permanent. Leaves with lots of tannin work best.

If you do give it a try, I’m happy to answer questions!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

For @Overhead Fredand anyone else who is interested:

thumbnail?appid=aolwebmail&size=400w

Spinach Gruyere Quiche

1 store-bought pie crust 

10-ounces  frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed to remove extra water 

6 ounces shredded Gruyere

1 1/2 cups half-and-half 

8 eggs 

Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Press the pie crust into a 9 inch springform pan (you can also use a deep dish pie pan). Layer the spinach into the crust and top with the cheese.  Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet.

Whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the crust so as not to mix or disturb the ingredients too much. 

Lightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until set and the crust is golden brown, another 10 to 15 minutes. Let the quiche sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from the pan, slice and serve.

Notes:

I use a pre-grated swiss/gruyere combo in a bag that I buy at TJ’s.  I’m sure you could use any cheese or combo of cheese you love.

It always looks like the crust in the springform pan is too small (it doesn’t come up the sides far enough) and it seems like a lot of eggs but it works perfectly when using the springform pan.  Just don’t overfill it above the pie crust.

I hardly ever have half and half on hand so I substitute with a combination of half milk and half cream.

You can use any combination of ingredients you like. I’ve even made it with crab as a splurge.  Spinach is just one of my favorite ways.

Enjoy!

I make this exact recipe. Most times I add sauteed mushrooms and onions. Sometimes add artichoke. Once made with shrimp (not again)

• Like 6