15th Anniversary Cruise - Need Suggestions!

pgerbphoto

Hey everyone, my husband and I are thinking about doing a cruise for our 15th anniversary. We’re looking for something nicer and less crowded than Royal Caribbean, but not super high end. We didn’t like how crowded Royal Caribbean was, how loud the promenade was, and didn’t think food was that great. We really liked Holland America, especially how nice/large the staterooms were, the quality of food, and the smaller crowds, but they don’t have anything less than 7 days and we’re looking for something around 5 days. Hope you guys can offer us some suggestions. Thank you! 

1 minute ago, pgerbphoto said:

Hey everyone, my husband and I are thinking about doing a cruise for our 15th anniversary. We’re looking for something nicer and less crowded than Royal Caribbean, but not super high end. We didn’t like how crowded Royal Caribbean was, how loud the promenade was, and didn’t think food was that great. We really liked Holland America, especially how nice/large the staterooms were, the quality of food, and the smaller crowds, but they don’t have anything less than 7 days and we’re looking for something around 5 days. Hope you guys can offer us some suggestions. Thank you! 

I was ready to suggest a Premium line like Oceania (smaller ships with excellent food, great space and crew ratios) and excellent value for a quality product. However, when you’re saying “5 days,” you’ve pretty much eliminated all the premium/luxury lines. Oceania has a few 7 day itineraries in the usual short cruise locations like the Med and Caribbean. But, 5 days? Nope.

As an alternative, why not consider a yacht charter? (Not as expensive as you may think). Contact a yacht broker (e.g., Ed Hamilton) who may have a way to fit you in with someone in the BVIs between two longer crewed charters. 

If it’s in your budget consider upgrading to a suite for your 15th , I love celeberty suite perks , butler , great suite dinning room and lounge , rccl also has suite dinning room on there newer ships , also look at MSC yacht club.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, George C said:

also look at MSC yacht club

I think this is a good idea.  5 day cruises are the domain of the mass market lines and the "ship within a ship" is great if it is affordable.  NCL and MSC are the two that I think of in this regard but more may be available.

To the OP - the crowds you experienced may be a function of when you cruised.  Off school holiday times are going to be less crowded.  Departures during the week may also to be less crowded  Finally, good luck and congratulations on your anniversary!

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pgerbphoto said:

We really liked Holland America, especially how nice/large the staterooms were, the quality of food, and the smaller crowds, but they don’t have anything less than 7 days and we’re looking for something around 5 days. 

On occasion, both Princess and Holland America will have a short cruise, i.e. a coastal cruise positioning their ships from/to Alaska.  Once when the Super Bowl was played in Jacksonville, the Zuiderdam was used as a hotel ship in Jacksonville and had a 4 or 5 day cruise to return her to her "usual" schedule from Port Everglades.  So, the odd-ball itineraries do happen and are almost always very well priced.  

If your budget would allow, MSC Yacht Club offers the best of two worlds.  A private enclave with its own Lounge with light evening entertainment, Restaurant, Pool Deck, all inclusive, large suites, and excellent service.  If one would want a bit more activity or a change of dining scene, step outside the YC enclave and there are a plethora of options.  The ships are very large, but their decor is beautiful.

Queen Mary 2 has in the past offered a short cruise from New York each 4th of July week-end to one or two Canadian ports.  Fireworks in either Boston or New York Harbor are always a part of the itinerary.  Those cruises are, I think, usually around 5 days in length.

Happy Planning for a significant Anniversary!  

• Like 1

We totally loved msc yacht club,  the yacht club area was never crowded loads of tables in there lounge , live music was really good , outside area had loads of pool loungers with pool , hot tubs and another restaurant, drink package is included along with WiFi. If you are diamond on rccl or have another status with another cruise line they will match your status. Veterans and some other occupations can get a ten percent discount. 

I’m in the Calabrian and MSC camps.  Even outside yacht club the balcony cabins are roomy.  I also picked up a short 4 day on Island Princess in December 2019 and was upgraded to a mini-suite.  Too bad I was solo on that one.  We’ve sailed on MSC Armonia, and she is much more subdued than the newer MSC ships.  Cabins smaller, too.  But it was a very enjoyable cruise nonetheless.  Of course, it was lengthened two days by a hurricane...  EM

Basically..... first step... is set a budget  and how long 4 -7 nights    ( 7 would be nice )

Then you have a starting point.... Balcony or Suite ( check the perks you get )

Planing is the best part,    so look at what you can get for money..... and go from there.

Don 

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m in the Calabrian and MSC camps.  Even outside yacht club the balcony cabins are roomy.  I also picked up a short 4 day on Island Princess in December 2019 and was upgraded to a mini-suite.  Too bad I was solo on that one.  We’ve sailed on MSC Armonia, and she is much more subdued than the newer MSC ships.  Cabins smaller, too.  But it was a very enjoyable cruise nonetheless.  Of course, it was lengthened two days by a hurricane...  EM

How the heck did Celebrity become Calabrian?  Just love autocorrupt...

• Haha 1

The problem with a 5 day cruise,  is that you only get 3 full days on board ship. It's hardly worth unpacking! 

As others have said, at the very least, try and go for 7 days.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

The problem with a 5 day cruise,  is that you only get 3 full days on board ship. It's hardly worth unpacking! 

As others have said, at the very least, try and go for 7 days.

Five days is a boat ride - not a cruise. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

It’s a great cruise line with the most beautiful ships at sea.

I agree that it is a great cruise line, but beautiful ships?  No way.

IMHO, no cruise ship with more than 1000 pax can ever look beautiful. 

• Like 1

I think beauty must be in the eye of the beholder......even in the cases of ships🙂. What one person thinks is beautiful, someone else may think is ugly.........and there you go. It just depends on the person and what they like and don't like. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree that it is a great cruise line, but beautiful ships?  No way.

IMHO, no cruise ship with more than 1000 pax can ever look beautiful. 

Celebrity ships seem to have perfected an industrial-ugly look for their promenade decks -- Their hull paint is unimaginative -- they are better than most mass market ships overall, but their ships fall far short of "beautiful".

• Like 2

Check out Windstar. Windstar’s sailing ships are small and romantic- they go to ports that the larger ships can’t get into. It’s not quite a luxury line, but the service is wonderful, and food is very good. You can often find great deals in the Caribbean. We did a week on the Windsurf in Dec, 2019 for $999/person. 

• Thanks 1