Jump to content

Anyone want to make a prediction..new CDC mask guidance coming?


Recommended Posts

Now that Royal has come out with new Vaccination rules (everyone 16+ must vaccinated, goes to 12+ on Aug 1), I am wondering if this came from behind the scenes negotiations with the CDC. All indications are that the CDC will be issuing CSO changes soon, removing the 8 day rule as well as other changes.

 

Do you think we will see new Mask and social distancing rules that tie in to the 16+/12+ vaccination rule? In the current CSO rules, the only thing vaccination did was help skip test cruises.

 

My money is on new guidance that says if 100% of age-eligible passengers (not 100% of the ship, but 100% of 16+/12+) are vaccinated, masks are either no longer required, or mostly not required.

 

What do you think, will we see new mask and social distance rules specifically tied to vaccination rates this week?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not expecting or betting on anything until people actually set foot on a ship, it leaves the port and returns after a successful 7, (or more), days.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

absolutely shocking... to ask for young people like teens to get the vaccination when no one knows long term side effects 

well my husband and I  have had had ours but I will not be getting our teen getting it 

so royal caribbean I will see going under cos it is not viable to keep going with those restrictions

there will be some people who will get their children vaccinated but we are not one of them for nothing and certainly not for cruising 

imo absolutely ridiculous and not needed 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, I am cruising said:

absolutely shocking... to ask for young people like teens to get the vaccination when no one knows long term side effects 

well my husband and I  have had had ours but I will not be getting our teen getting it 

so royal caribbean I will see going under cos it is not viable to keep going with those restrictions

there will be some people who will get their children vaccinated but we are not one of them for nothing and certainly not for cruising 

imo absolutely ridiculous and not needed 

I respect your decision not to vaccinate your kids, however there are plenty of other threads to voice this in, why does every thread need to devolve into people attacking. We get it, you think it's ridiculous, criminal, insane that people would vaccinate their kids. Got it.

 

Back to the question for this post...Who thinks we will see new mask and social distance rules specifically tied to vaccination rates this week?

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, I am cruising said:

absolutely shocking... to ask for young people like teens to get the vaccination when no one knows long term side effects 

well my husband and I  have had had ours but I will not be getting our teen getting it 

so royal caribbean I will see going under cos it is not viable to keep going with those restrictions

there will be some people who will get their children vaccinated but we are not one of them for nothing and certainly not for cruising 

imo absolutely ridiculous and not needed 

Welcome to CC and thank you for making a new account and first post has nothing to do with cruising

Didnt you get vaccinated as a kid?  

 

to the OP anything here  about mask and distance rules would be pure scuttlebutt 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I should have asked what do people WANT to see happen next week...sigh. Yes it's speculation. Just thought some people would have some new ideas other than "masks everywhere" or "no masks at all!"

 

Sorry I started the thread. Carry on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I respect your decision not to vaccinate your kids, however there are plenty of other threads to voice this in, why does every thread need to devolve into people attacking. We get it, you think it's ridiculous, criminal, insane that people would vaccinate their kids. Got it.

 

Back to the question for this post...Who thinks we will see new mask and social distance rules specifically tied to vaccination rates this week?

omg this is a cruise critic site ..... I am entitled to express my opinion .... I was not attacking anyone at all....as your post suggests

why is it that when people voice their opinion they are attacked for expressing their opinion.... I wouldn't attack people for expressing their opinion

I am a parent of a teen and I dont think it Is necessary to get them vaccinated... the thread was about  masks but with most people being vaccinated I feel children wouldn't need which is why I have responded so why did you think it is okay to make me feel that I am not able to express my opinion...

I am doing no harm to anyone .... just saying that the vaccines are only new and I would think that most parents ... not all as there will be parents who will give their children the vaccine and that is up to them.. however like I said that will not be me as a parent 

Edited by I am cruising
changed
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, I am cruising said:

omg this is a cruise critic site ..... I am entitled to express my opinion .... I was not attacking anyone at all....as your post suggests

why is it that when people voice their opinion they are attacked for expressing their opinion.... I wouldn't attack people for expressing their opinion

I am a parent of a teen and I dont think it Is necessary to get them vaccinated... the thread was about vaccinations of that age group as well as mask which is why I have responded so why did you think it is okay to make me feel that I am not able to express my opinion...

I am doing no harm to anyone .... just saying that the vaccines are only new and I would think that most parents ... not all as there will be parents who will give their children the vaccine and that is up to them.. however like I said that will not be me as a parent 

I am sorry, I wasn't attacking you for expressing your opinion. This thread was intended to be "Do you think mask rules will be changed now that RCCL required vaccines", not "Do you think its right for cruise lines to require vaccines for children"

 

But every thread seems to turn into that. 

 

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Welcome to CC and thank you for making a new account and first post has nothing to do with cruising

Didnt you get vaccinated as a kid?  

 

to the OP anything here  about mask and distance rules would be pure scuttlebutt 

thanks for your welcome 

with regards to me getting vaccinated as a kid ... yes I presume I did but im sure my parents would have made sure that it had been around for sometime before they thought it was acceptable for me to get it.... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I am sorry, I wasn't attacking you for expressing your opinion. This thread was intended to be "Do you think mask rules will be changed now that RCCL required vaccines", not "Do you think its right for cruise lines to require vaccines for children"

 

But every thread seems to turn into that. 

 

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

thanks for your apology ... apology accepted 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, I am cruising said:

 

with regards to me getting vaccinated as a kid ... yes I presume I did but im sure my parents would have made sure that it had been around for sometime before they thought it was acceptable for me to get it.... 

 

I'm not sure how old you are, but back in the 50s polio was a huge issue. Research had been done, but wasn't a priority until Salk came along and pushed it. The vaccine was relatively quick in development and roll-out. Yes, it had some hiccups along the way, but people clamored to get it......so it could possibly be that your own parents, wanting what was best for their children would have gotten it for you without making sure it had been around for sometime.

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I'm not sure how old you are, but back in the 50s polio was a huge issue. Research had been done, but wasn't a priority until Salk came along and pushed it. The vaccine was relatively quick in development and roll-out. Yes, it had some hiccups along the way, but people clamored to get it......so it could possibly be that your own parents, wanting what was best for their children would have gotten it for you without making sure it had been around for sometime.

I love the 50's era

but seriously, no I wasn't born in the 50s. 

I am in 2021 and I will not let our children get vaccines that are not necessary....I want the best for our children as does my husband and I dont think the covid vaccine is necessary for children ...but that is just my opinion and I know other people have other opinions and respect their decisions

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I am cruising said:

absolutely shocking... to ask for young people like teens to get the vaccination when no one knows long term side effects 

well my husband and I  have had had ours but I will not be getting our teen getting it

so royal caribbean I will see going under cos it is not viable to keep going with those restrictions

there will be some people who will get their children vaccinated but we are not one of them for nothing and certainly not for cruising 

imo absolutely ridiculous and not needed 

What we do know are the long term effects of getting Covid. You obviously don't remember Polio vaccine, which was also rushed through. My parents were so excited that we stood on line for hours to get the Salk vaccine.  If your kids are going to go to college, they'll find it hard to find one that doesn't require the Covid vaccine, as well as a raft of other vaccines.  Luckily cruising is not mandatory, so we won't see you on a ship for a while.

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just an opinion -therefore worth little, but I feel like the CDC is trying to dig out from under the rock they dropped on themselves without losing face. They have staked out a dogmatic position that the science no longer justifies, they are knee deep in at least two lawsuits that allege they exceeded their authority (one on eviction moratoriums they’ve already lost, and another on the CSO that is going to mediation), and if they lose that one as well, they risk becoming bureaucratically impotent. Much more logical to cut their losses and make like they’re following their own data to let cruising resume. I expect that within the next two weeks they will terminate the CSO as it currently exists and replace it with proactive vaccine/distance/mask/capacity guidance that will free up the cruise lines to sail wherever they want by July1.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

... I expect that within the next two weeks they will terminate the CSO as it currently exists and replace it with proactive vaccine/distance/mask/capacity guidance.

 

I agree. They've been gradually modifying the CSO quite frequently lately.  It's going to come to a point when the original CSO looks nothing like any near future guidance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I predict the CDC will come out with new guidance next week. Then another statement the week after that. When people get confused they will clarify that the second statement doesn’t change anything; the first statement still stands. Then further clarify that the 2nd statement also still stands. Even though it seems to contradict the first statement. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

I agree. They've been gradually modifying the CSO quite frequently lately.  It's going to come to a point when the original CSO looks nothing like any near future guidance. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  I think the "no vaccine no sail" will be around much longer as it's a good middle ground to stand on, but the masks everywhere will be gone soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

I predict the CDC will come out with new guidance next week. Then another statement the week after that. When people get confused they will clarify that the second statem

That's so funny, so true, so sad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

I predict the CDC will come out with new guidance next week. Then another statement the week after that. When people get confused they will clarify that the second statement doesn’t change anything; the first statement still stands. Then further clarify that the 2nd statement also still stands. Even though it seems to contradict the first statement. 

Now that makes perfect sense. 😵

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To the OP, the MSC Virtuosa is currently sailing out of Southhampton U.K.  There are quite a bit of videos on YT that show some of the protocols being used.  Might be indicative of how things will be when/IF cruises sail from the U.S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

Now that Royal has come out with new Vaccination rules (everyone 16+ must vaccinated, goes to 12+ on Aug 1), I am wondering if this came from behind the scenes negotiations with the CDC. All indications are that the CDC will be issuing CSO changes soon, removing the 8 day rule as well as other changes.

 

Do you think we will see new Mask and social distancing rules that tie in to the 16+/12+ vaccination rule? In the current CSO rules, the only thing vaccination did was help skip test cruises.

 

My money is on new guidance that says if 100% of age-eligible passengers (not 100% of the ship, but 100% of 16+/12+) are vaccinated, masks are either no longer required, or mostly not required.

 

What do you think, will we see new mask and social distance rules specifically tied to vaccination rates this week?

You will be able to return to cruising as it was in 2019 in July 2023.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...