Will They Announce Covid Cases Onboard?

jtwind

A good question but not simple to answer. It will depend.

Do the CDC guidelines require it?  Then yes, if ship is sailing from/calling at a US port.

Is it a fully vaccinated voyage not sailing from the US?  Then I suspect they will not announce a single case, but may announce if there is some threshold of cases aboard.

(A caveat to the above is that ships may be required to announce to port authorities if there are any COVID cases on board, and if so, how many. As a result, passengers may also hear of it.)

If it is a non-vaccinated sailing, it may be announced along with repeated and strong emphasis on the need for masking and social distancing. I also expect contact tracing would be likely, which you've mentioned in a different post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

No clue what the plans will be, but if I'm vaccinated why would I care?

It could trigger changes on board ship (return to certain COVID measures like masks, distancing). I assume it would also have to be reported to ports of call -- wonder if they could refuse permission to passengers to come ashore?

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

It could trigger changes on board ship (return to certain COVID measures like masks, distancing). I assume it would also have to be reported to ports of call -- wonder if they could refuse permission to passengers to come ashore?

Good point.    Cruise Critic is going to be very entertaining once cruising starts up if things head south in a hurry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If it doesn't impact anything else on the ship - why should they?  Why would you want to know?  You are  already on the ship.

If it does impact shipboard activities - probably yes.

DON

Of course if they reported any cases to upcoming ports (which may very well be a requirement for entering those ports) and those ports denied entry - the passengers will most likely be advised.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jtwind said:

If there is a suspected case onboard, do you think they will announce it?

If the ship you are planning on cruising in the near future has cases, do you think you will be notified?

Your cruise line would be the best resource to ask this question. However, you can also consider what happens with Noro outbreaks on a ship - are pax advised when Noro thresholds are reached - No

However, if you are sailing with a cruise line using contact tracing technology, if you have been in close contact with a positive case, you can guarantee you will receive a call.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jtwind said:

If there is a suspected case onboard, do you think they will announce it?

If the ship you are planning on cruising in the near future has cases, do you think you will be notified?

As mentioned by others, if there are enough cases, they'll have no choice but to announce it.  And if you're a close contact of a case, it will be announced TO YOU.  Unless you're pinky sworn to secrecy, THAT rumor will be all over the ship within 48 hours, because cruise ship communities aren't that big.

Also as mentioned by others, if ports are skipped or changed to technical stops, and weather is not a factor, COVID-19 MIGHT be, whether the passengers are told or not.  NIMBY is alive and well during a global pandemic for reasons I hope we all can understand.

As for whether we'll be told whether there were previous cases on the ship we'll be boarding, I think it's highly unlikely.  Only if there's a need to delay or cancel embarkation would I expect notice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MissyKish said:

I think it will be like BINGO. Everyone will meet in the Theater and they will announce the rooms that have Covid. If you had that room on your card you win. 

Actually, you lose.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't see why any port of call couldn't refuse permission for passengers to come ashore. They certainly did last year!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I don't see why any port of call couldn't refuse permission for passengers to come ashore. They certainly did last year!

Yes, they did last year. But supposedly with the requirements of various regulatory authorities allowing ships to sail, ships are supposed to have arrangements with ports of call.

However, I also know that CDC proposed guidelines say that with a certain number of COVID cases onboard, the voyage is terminated and must return to the embarkation port. 

I think they might. Only from the standpoint that will want people to be extra alert to  fever/coughing/feeling unwell. They will want you to report for covid testing if you develop ANY possible symptoms. Normally you might have a cough and think cold or allergies. But if you knew that you were potentially exposed to covid you would hopefully report to the medical center. 

• Like 2

I know a guy who thinks lawsuits are the answer to everything.  Of course, he is now saying that , if he got covid on a cruise, and the previous cruise had cases, and they hadn't told him, guess what?

Hopefully, it never comes to this.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I know a guy who thinks lawsuits are the answer to everything.  Of course, he is now saying that , if he got covid on a cruise, and the previous cruise had cases, and they hadn't told him, guess what?

Hopefully, it never comes to this.

Unfortunately. law suits are the American way of dealing with things.

And Covid on a ship will bring a lot of ambulance chasers out of the woodwork. 

4 hours ago, MissyKish said:

I think it will be like BINGO. Everyone will meet in the Theater and they will announce the rooms that have Covid. If you had that room on your card you win. 

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, you lose.

Then again, those would probably be the cleanest cabins in the history of cruising!  

• Like 1

Imagine for a second...in the future...

"Alpha, Alpha, Alpha"

"Bravo, Bravo, Bravo"

"Crown, Crown, Crown"......................................as in Corona. 😉😇😬

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Unfortunately. law suits are the American way of dealing with things.

And Covid on a ship will bring a lot of ambulance chasers out of the woodwork. 

If you use TV advertising as a gauge of economic activity, you will recognize tort law firms, auto insurance companies, and pharmaceuticals as among the most prominent —— they wouldn’t advertise so much if their “products” were not highly profitable.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you use TV advertising as a gauge of economic activity, you will recognize tort law firms, auto insurance companies, and pharmaceuticals as among the most prominent —— they wouldn’t advertise so much if their “products” were not highly profitable.

Among the pharmaceuticals advertisements, ***** is very prominent. I wonder what that says.😃

33 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

"Alpha, Alpha, Alpha"

"Bravo, Bravo, Bravo""

"Crown, Crown, Crown"......................................as in Corona. 😉😇😬

Just like on Carnival today...

"Alpha, Alpha, Alpha"

"Bravo, Bravo, Bravo""

"🦀🦀🦀"................................ 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said: