The Daily for Saturday Jun 19, 2021

richwmn

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Muga Rioja Seleccion Especial Reserva - Spain - Red

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Muga Rioja Seleccion Especial Reserva

This Rioja has superb ratings and a reasonable price. I used the 2015 vintage since it had the most reviews. Other vintages have similar ratings, but you might need to wait to drink them. Several online distributors offering the 2015 with prices starting at $35.99. But if you are willing to wait, the 2017 vintage is available for $27.99.

Winemaker Notes

A deep, very dense black-cherry color. The nose reveals ripe, red berry fruit aromas together with notes of spices (pepper) and forest floor against a backdrop of coffee variations, such as milk coffee toffee and roasted coffee beans mingling with subtle well-integrated oak. Silky on the palate with tannins showing through, indicating the wine’s youth and good aging potential and providing an elegant and balanced structure.

JS96 James Suckling: The balance and purity to this wine is really impressive with blackberries, black truffles and dark fruit. Wet earth. Full body. Tight and compact. Structured, long and powerful. Superb length. Compressed and polished texture. Drink in 2022.

WS93 Wine Spectator: Velvety yet vivacious, this red has a lovely texture. Expressive flavors of maraschino cherry, red currant, orange peel, clove and vanilla are supported by round tannins and citrusy acidity. Fresh and focused, in the traditional style. Drink now through 2030.

WW92 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com:The 2015 Muga Selección Especial is a classic example of a high-end Rioja. TASTING NOTES: This wine packs plenty of primary fruit in its aromas and flavors. A hint of savory spices joins in at the end, making it an excellent pairing with highly-seasoned, grilled pork ribs.

Adding my $.02 worth on today's wine.

Spanish wines are just amazing and SO REASONABLY priced.  Also, because of Spanish labeling laws. the word "Reserva" or the words "Gran Reserva" actually mean something.  In Spain, however, "Reserva" means the wine has been aged at least three years, with at least one of those in barrel. “Gran Reserva” means that it was aged at least five years, with a minimum of two years in oak.  So, to a very large extent, when a Reserva wine is made available to the consumer, it is "pre-aged." This is much different that U.S. wines in which there is no legal meaning to the word "Reserve" (or words such as "Proprietor's Selection" or "Vintner's Choice").  In the U.S. these words mean whatever the marketing team says it means.

For U.S. readers who are Costco members. I consistently grab a bottle of Marqes de Riscal Rioja Reserva on every visit to my local store--$12 and it would be hard to find a better $12 wine.  Also, for travelers to Spain, the Marques de Riscal Vineyard Hotel, designed by Los Angeles architect Frank Gehry, is absolutely magnificent.

1762337105_downloadijijiji(1).jpg.829462c6b124a7321614cb2681e92148.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

While on the Koningsdam in October 2019 we again hit Koper and made another wonderful tour again with our guide Marco and our good friends Ann and Pat @VictOriann  and this is another very nice tour to take from Koper .

Slovenia is a very pristine, green , fresh  country member of the EU and one of the more successful countries which were part of the former Yugoslavia .  An independent country now it has through the ages multiple long times been occupied by Italian and Austrian - Hungarian regimes.

We arranged a different tour from when we were on the Prinsendam and went this time to Bled and the capital city of Ljubljana 

IMG_1753.thumb.JPG.0de93781178ce44f1e8667d33c328ff2.JPG

IMG_1654.thumb.JPG.9df236d81a88763fd5b87e94777512ca.JPG

IMG_1656.thumb.JPG.dd647fe106d781b2d0d8fb9f7e9109dd.JPG

We first visited the Bled Castle right at Lake Bled 

IMG_1696.thumb.JPG.84dc631d9b09f62c31a36dc8d1c33c47.JPG

Sharing this day with Ann , Pat @VictOriann   and family .

IMG_4159.thumb.JPG.9f20d3724def4855fc542176aefc79ce.JPG

On former visits to Slovenia we have been to this little island seen here in the middle of the lake and have rung the church bells . No motorized vessels are allowed so you can book to go on a rowboat to this beautiful little island seen here over Martha’s head .

IMG_1678.thumb.JPG.b236fc4e16e5f4217204758342f30c09.JPG

In the distance Mount Triglav , at 2863 metres the highest peak in Slovenia and the Julian Alps .

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.b8c2f59841dc8c56045c64ee4319ffdd.JPG

IMG_4160.thumb.JPG.7f4e3f9e37931bdf997768b898b61e0c.JPG

IMG_4167.thumb.JPG.08ba958dbf5c286b1db6db762e3da144.JPG

IMG_1701.thumb.JPG.c0885013eee2d5614689d820f96b5c76.JPG

Coffee time with a special Slovenian  only at Lake Bled treat ! 

IMG_4173.thumb.JPG.18f7be88f7d7f5bc62a275473ed24553.JPG

Time to go to Ljubljana 

IMG_1707.thumb.JPG.908b3130d37f5a81cebb8c38f445efa7.JPG

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG.adee067a6563640daf5443499ab87f9f.JPG

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.405b01de545abc28e2f1ca637b844cb2.JPG

Hey stop .....just stand there Martha ………. Why ? ..........  you'll find out after I develop my pictures ......

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.0d2b435f21118b549af33ad8dcfa6bda.JPG

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.c2182ec3175ed89172db83e61d421e71.JPG

Nice market 

IMG_1724.thumb.JPG.5e0a471fdbdd5a3221758333fa3ac9ab.JPG

IMG_1725.thumb.JPG.59d4a0e48b08d85973f3ffbcf70bd07c.JPG

IMG_1730.thumb.JPG.baf7e8a65077f7a747940723d7d74f75.JPG

Door of the cathedral ......... the pope has been here …...

IMG_4195.thumb.JPG.b7816e90c63b31e79f9e5d69eccd0cd7.JPG

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.1c8caa09dbf28ccd8d58307ebc6dfe9e.JPG

IMG_1739.thumb.JPG.e4f82487a2958b10d177ed3b6e1d099e.JPG

Is this OK Ann ? 

IMG_4202.thumb.JPG.3d94312cf99c575cc9dd0ad1121f985e.JPG

And how do you say the name of this place …………

IMG_E4201.thumb.JPG.75ffaa155f28c0533ea7cb6e3a91e95b.JPG

A wonderful day was had by all and when we got back to the Koningsdam and DW heard the music , accordion and guitars , she could not control herself and danced the polka ………..  hija hija hija hooo ! 

IMG_1746.thumb.JPG.8f5cfbe2c7b5e986c3c05e7909efab4f.JPG

IMG_1748.thumb.JPG.68ebed4d4d2d2f659031266773e36d9b.JPG

IMG_1749.thumb.JPG.f1aac5e148c3a68fd6dd8ba628cb8bf5.JPG

Thank you Slovenia ......... Hvala Slovenija  !  We will be back ......Vrnili se bomo  ! 

Tony 😃😃

Edited by sailingdutchy
My spelling of coarse
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Junteenth has been a long time coming, and kissing may still be risky for the unvaccinated.  My aging vocal cords no longer support hollerin'.  I have never been to today's port, and actually never to Croatia.  I love the Plato quote.  I'll take the salad without the dressing, please.  My alternative is Pineapple Boat, Rack of Lamb with with Tomato Couscous, and Garlic Pearls, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Veendam May 15, 2015.  I did not post it on May 15 because I started the day in the hospital.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Crew of Odyssey of the Seas

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

Colorado wildfires

Strength for St.LouisCruiser reading a passage at Nancy’s funeral (Friday-Sunday)

From the rotation:
Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 7/4

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

smitty34877 helping Tana

Sam working hard on his rehab

Surprise second jabs for HorizonChaser1957

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:  Thank you for both the Care and Shout Out lists.   By the way I have never come across Sabine.

• Like 4

Dinner tonight is going to be take-out, but I started with salad from my garden. I think I planted too much lettuce at the same time and now it is all ready for harvest.

It looks as if a thunderstorm will start right around the time for picking up dinner.

I've been in a gloomy mood for several days, mostly because of an issue at work for which there is no resolution (two entrenched camps that are both willing to fight to the death, and since they're volunteers I can't fire them, which I would otherwise be more than ready to do). The gloom has spread into other things, such as plans for a transpacific cruise in the spring that I now suspect will be cancelled because Japan, with only 6% vaccinated, will probably remain closed to tourism. If there is no winter cruise season, the ship won't be there for a TPAC in April. I've been looking at alternatives from U.S. ports and there is nothing that fits my narrow window for travel and that I also want to do.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy Juneteenth!! Yes, definitely a long time coming.

where it is 113 degrees of HOT and trust me when the sun goes down it is still HOT!! 

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for the Daily, and to Jacqui @kazu for the Care List and Roy @rafinmd for the Celebrations and Shoutouts.

The weeks and days are flying by, with being retired from my finance job but my days seem to fly by even faster than before. Time definitely speeds up the older one gets.

This week was another week of lots of cruise news for us cruise fanatics but as week get closer to July 24th I feel more confident every day 😃

Happy Father's day to all the Guys out there!!

We are taking Tom out to dinner tonight, he wants BBQ and our Son went and bought him a Marie Callendars Cherry Pie. 

• Like 16

@mamaofami Carol - I'm so glad Sam wasn't injured and also glad that you had a good cry. That can help! Praying that you only get good news from here on!

I took a big step (for me, anyway) yesterday and changed the reservations for our February Pride of America B2B - removed DH's name and added my sister. Much easier than I expected! POA cruises are canceled through October, so I hope we actually sail! Hawaii is the only state that DSis hasn't visited, so I'm glad to help her complete the list. This will also be her first time on a cruise ship!!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I did forget to mention one thing that made me very happy this morning. A few days ago I applied to Renew my Global Entry, it does not expire till November but you can renew up to 12 months prior. My husband was lucky enough to not need to have another interview when he renewed his in January. I though I would go ahead and try renewing mine now to see if I needed to go to a new interview or do the new interview via video chat or they would just approve with no interview. I was thrilled that I was approved like my husbands. So my Global Entry is now good till 2026!! My passport was renewed in January this year so look out we are ready to travel!! 

• Like 19

10 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Koper, Slovenia:

6f5506873896661942bf0b366e3ce8a3.thumb.jpg.2607189f71a9d3fb8d76919dc737a4e4.jpg

What a great photo!

Thank you everyone for the Daily and all the beautiful photos! I visited Koper on a family cruise in 2019 but it was a rainy day and I took just 3 photos....not nearly as nice as those posted!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Love the beach said:

What a great photo!

Thank you everyone for the Daily and all the beautiful photos! I visited Koper on a family cruise in 2019 but it was a rainy day and I took just 3 photos....not nearly as nice as those posted!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

Wow is that Koper ? 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

This evening the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra will be celebrating the tenure of Marin Alsop with a Gala concert at 8:30 eastern time.  There will not be a live audience but it will be broadcast on Maryland Public Television and I will "be there".  Should anyone be interested it will also be livestreamed on their website:

https://www.bsomusic.org/galalivestream

Roy

As indicated earlier I am "there":

bs02.JPG.f3f31c7688afd903412c99ed5b8d2f69.JPG

I am in good company, second row shown below on the aisle.  The Mayor of Baltimore is one row ahead of me 2 seats in (blue jacket) and a major news anchor is across the aisle, one row behind "me".

678402605_C-JKL(Medium).thumb.jpg.ca5958c4ccaf1024179ffd0f7caf4fc9.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

As indicated earlier I am "there":

bs02.JPG.f3f31c7688afd903412c99ed5b8d2f69.JPG

I am in good company, second row shown below on the aisle.  The Mayor of Baltimore is one row ahead of me 2 seats in (blue jacket) and a major news anchor is across the aisle, one row behind "me".

678402605_C-JKL(Medium).thumb.jpg.ca5958c4ccaf1024179ffd0f7caf4fc9.jpg

Roy

Neat!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of today’s port!

I was busy this morning cleaning up after our company last night so I’m late posting today. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 11

We're back in our hotel tonight after a busy day.  Before we headed out to the visitation and church service, DH and DS went to visit she whom we refer to on the Daily as DMIL.  She was awake and chatty!  YAY!  When I saw her 3 weeks ago she was out like a light and did not even know I was there talking to her.  The guys had a nice visit with her, then came back and dressed in their suits to attend the funeral services.  

Some of the photos displayed brought me to tears. 😪  Mom in her upswept pompadour with two white gardenias in her hair cuddling up to a 5 year old Nancy with her Shirley Temple ringlets and her sailor suit dress.  A classic 1940's photo.  And Nancy as a child on the front steps with a tall, lean movie star handsome Dad, fresh from his WWII stint in both Europe and Japan.  Those did me in!  At the services I read my psalm and made it through with no tears.  The eulogies were tough though.  😭

Later we went to dinner with the two nieces and their sons and everyone enjoyed being "Family".  

Tomorrow is Father's Day.  DD heads out early to Ohio to make her dinner out with her in-laws on their 50th wedding anniversary.  DS gets dropped off at the airport to head back to Michigan and home.  And we drive leisurely to Ohio to relax at DD's house while they celebrate with his side of the family.  We can use a few days to adjust to all this travel and turmoil.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad to hear everything went well.  Saying goodbye to a loved one is never easy, and emotions are always close to the surface.  I'm sure your sister would have enjoyed her send-off and the words you shared.   Take the next few days to regroup and refresh yourselves as you look toward a brighter tomorrow.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We're back in our hotel tonight after a busy day.  Before we headed out to the visitation and church service, DH and DS went to visit she whom we refer to on the Daily as DMIL.  She was awake and chatty!  YAY!  When I saw her 3 weeks ago she was out like a light and did not even know I was there talking to her.  The guys had a nice visit with her, then came back and dressed in their suits to attend the funeral services.  

Some of the photos displayed brought me to tears. 😪  Mom in her upswept pompadour with two white gardenias in her hair cuddling up to a 5 year old Nancy with her Shirley Temple ringlets and her sailor suit dress.  A classic 1940's photo.  And Nancy as a child on the front steps with a tall, lean movie star handsome Dad, fresh from his WWII stint in both Europe and Japan.  Those did me in!  At the services I read my psalm and made it through with no tears.  The eulogies were tough though.  😭

Later we went to dinner with the two nieces and their sons and everyone enjoyed being "Family".  

Tomorrow is Father's Day.  DD heads out early to Ohio to make her dinner out with her in-laws on their 50th wedding anniversary.  DS gets dropped off at the airport to head back to Michigan and home.  And we drive leisurely to Ohio to relax at DD's house while they celebrate with his side of the family.  We can use a few days to adjust to all this travel and turmoil.  

You had a tough, trying day.  But believe me when I say, you will be glad you went and those memories later will be special.  Hang in there - there is a rainbow at the end of the rain (tears) and you sure deserve one.

• Like 10

Thanks to Rich for the Daily and to Roy for the lists.

Have not been to the port, enjoyed seeing all the photos, thanks for sharing.

Another wet  foggy day here, temperature 7 C.

@mamaofami sorry that Sam had a fall, but thankfully no injuries, when will you be able to visit him again?

@StLouisCruisersthanks for your update, please take some healing time for yourself.

@kazu so pleased to see the Bon Voyage thread, thank you for all your work to maintain the lists.

Take care everyone.

• Like 12

15 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is .................and National Kissing Day

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Hey Rich, a heads up:

I've kissed my wife 😉

Nieuw A has collected close to 300 crew during her 10-day stay in San Pedro. She's waiting for some late joiners that Alaska Airlines are flying into Burbank Airport 🤓

then departing tonite/early Sun morning around midnight (or a bit later) sailing with a little less than half of her normal crew complement.

She'll be back in L.A. (Long Beach anchorage on Wed & Thu and again in Pedro on Fri & Sat) to take on even more crew to get herself ready for Alaska in July  

Maria 1995 Ryndam.jpg

• Like 16