Please sell me on Quantum Class

Quantum class is our favorite class for reasons others have already mentioned.  We love 270 (our favorite RCI venue on any class), the Music Hall, and a multitude of other reasons.  We have our next two cruises scheduled on this class right now.  Well, Odyssey is 'Quantum Ultra class'.  🙂

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

270 was great for entertainment...Not for dining from Park Cafe...JMHO

But a TERRIBLE location to have The Quest.  Too awkward having to run through the levels/tables/etc.

• Like 2

Actually, we did not really care much for Anthem.  The venues seemed too closed in (with the obvious exception of the SeaPlex). The decks didn't seem to have any flow from back to front. And - this is purely my opinion/observation - but sailing out of Bayonne rather than Florida, seemed to have a MUCH different vibe with regard to passengers. People just didn't seem to be as easy-going and cheery (like one would expect of someone on vacation), and there was no respect for personal space (something that certainly wouldn't be acceptable today). It was just an all-around odd cruise for us.

• Like 1

I can’t sell you on Quantum class. Other than being newer, that’s all I think is going for them. I don’t like the (lack of) flow and don’t like the pool areas being enclosed and awkward among other things. 

Would I sail on one if it was the only option? Yeah. Was it ever a fan favorite like Voyager and Oasis class? No, look at the overall consensus of reviews. 

Edited by kruzerci
  • Like 1

I said it 2014 when I posted one of the first Quantum reviews here on CC, and I'll say it again now....

Most cruisers, especially experienced (older) cruisers, are very much unadaptable to change. There were so many complaints on Quantum for the stupidest reasons, based solely on expectation of the new RCL ship being exactly like every single other RCL ship they have sailed on a thousand times before.

Well Quantum Class is totally different. Be honest with yourself... if you don't like doing different in other aspects of your life, then don't sail a Quantum Class ship.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I said it 2014 when I posted one of the first Quantum reviews here on CC, and I'll say it again now....

Most cruisers, especially experienced (older) cruisers, are very much unadaptable to change. There were so many complaints on Quantum for the stupidest reasons, based solely on expectation of the new RCL ship being exactly like every single other RCL ship they have sailed on a thousand times before.

Well Quantum Class is totally different. Be honest with yourself... if you don't like doing different in other aspects of your life, then don't sail a Quantum Class ship.

Agree.  People don't like change.  We thoroughly enjoy this class.  We also like Radiance class.  Each class has it's pluses and minuses.  I just enjoy cruising so being on any ship is better than staying home.

• Like 2

Our first return to Royal after Disney cruising was on Ovation in Alaska. We had only ever done warm weather cruises, so I think we appreciated the design of Ovation especially in Alaska. We loved the Solarium, and the Solarium Bistro. We loved our very large JS balconies. We enjoyed 270, even the cafe at 270. We weren't big fans of the MDR, and decided we will forego the MDR on any larger ships in the future.   We liked Fish & Ships. We found the entertainment to be quite varied. We wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on Ovation.

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Oasis was quite different on arrival from its predecessors and won over long timers pretty quickly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ramja96 said:

Actually, we did not really care much for Anthem.  The venues seemed too closed in (with the obvious exception of the SeaPlex). The decks didn't seem to have any flow from back to front. And - this is purely my opinion/observation - but sailing out of Bayonne rather than Florida, seemed to have a MUCH different vibe with regard to passengers. People just didn't seem to be as easy-going and cheery (like one would expect of someone on vacation), and there was no respect for personal space (something that certainly wouldn't be acceptable today). It was just an all-around odd cruise for us.

Agree....except our cruise sailed from Cape Liberty. The flow of the Promenade seemed just off when it seemed (felt) to dead end in front of Sorrento's. Loved our itinerary Canada N/E but not too excited to book this class of ship again.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, zekekelso said:

I’m a Voyager/Freedom class guy. They just feel right to me. Perhaps it’s the balance of stuff/space/people. The small ships have charm; the Oasis ships have the Wow. I didn’t see the “hook” for Quantum, which is why I was asking. Thanks to everyone for the answers so far. 

Actually, if you prefer those 2 classes of ship over Oasis, then you might like the Ovation as you won't miss the Aqua theater, the Boardwalk, Central Park, Rising Tide bar, dedicated comedy club, etc

What Ovation has over Voyager/Freedom is more dining options, outdoor dining in WJ and a better WJ period,  a far better solarium by a mile, the 270 lounge - an area I spent way more time in than I thought I would -and all the entertainment/activities mentioned in post #14.

Oh, and it's a newer, more modern ship.

The only thing missing is a ice skating rink. Not a deal breaker for me. Not a big fan of the 4-room MDR, much prefer the multi-level MDR.  And if you're a fan of the Royal Promenade, you might be disappointed in the Royal Esplande. It's the same concept but a bit smaller, like 3/4 size and a bend/curve at one end that seems to throw people off. Still, most of the RP features are there. 

I never thought the crowds were worse than any other Royal ship. I think max capacity is 4,200/4,500 vs 4,900 for Ovation, which too me doesn't seem that significant. The Oasis-class is the only ships that handle the crowds well. 

JMO

On 6/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, zekekelso said:

I’m a Voyager/Freedom class guy. They just feel right to me. Perhaps it’s the balance of stuff/space/people. The small ships have charm; the Oasis ships have the Wow. I didn’t see the “hook” for Quantum, which is why I was asking. 

I agree with the charm of small ships and the Wow of Oasis ships! Freedom was my favorite ship for five years until I sailed on Allure and she stole my heart. I've been on Anthem once and that was enough. I was transferred to Odyssey in August and look forward to cruising again.

Ahhh yes, when I think of Quantum Class I remember being on the Anthem out of Bayonne N J four winters ago, namely late January. We left port at the usual time and was told by the Captain  after the muster that we could feel a little motion about 2:00am, but not to worry because we'd all be asleep. Well, let me tell you we were on the ride to hell getting caught in one of the named Atlantic winter storms that make all the news accounts world wide. The ship couldn't use the stabilizers because one wasn't working. Cut to the chase when we were leaving St. Kitts to head back north the Captain said that he was changing course and going to slow the ship and hug the coast back to New Jersey as another Atlantic storm was making its way off the Atlantic coast just north of Jacksonville into New England. We didn't have as bad of a ride going back as we did going south. The waves were hitting the eleventh deck while decks 2-3-4 were consistently under water going south. When we returned to Bayonne there was four feet of snow on the ground waiting for us. The Captain was later relieved of his duties on the Anthem and in six months sent to the Mariner operating in the Orient. Before that was questioned by Coast Guard officials on why he stayed that course going south. While on a bridge tour I found out from a young officer that the Quantum class are a tall and narrower ship compared to the Oasis class. These ships have no problem swinging like a pendulum and are not suited for the North Atlantic waters particularly in ocean storms that are customary in the winter months. Choose your selection wisely, if storms and a lot of motion doesn't bother you then take your chances.

2 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

These ships have no problem swinging like a pendulum and are not suited for the North Atlantic waters particularly in ocean storms that are customary in the winter months.

As if any other ship class would have done any better?

Biker, who wondered how long it would be before someone trotted out that one time event.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Biker, who wondered how long it would be before someone trotted out that one time event.

An Oasis class ship under a better Master of the Ship would be my choice, Biker.

If you need to be "sold on" a particular ship or class then that ones not for you. Find one you LOVE the look of, and can't possibly wait to cruise on!

You'll be far more excited in the lead up rather than possibly dreading the fact you might not like the ship.

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

People that were on "that" cruise and the inaugural TA (I was on it *) said the TA was rougher, yet the TA got zero media coverage.

* Someone at the Captain's Corner asked the Captain (same one for both cruises) where he learned to "drive", since they had been on XXX number of cruises and it had never been that rough.  I forget what the Captain's response was but the answer was a good one.  🙂  Obviously the guy had never been on a September NY to Bermuda cruise.  I personally thought the ship handled the 40+ foot swells well.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

young officer that the Quantum class are a tall and narrower ship compared to the Oasis class. 

Narrower yes... taller no. 

Quantum fits under the 200' span of the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver.

Oasis Class is 236' high

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I always laugh at these people who think two grains of sand (Quantum & Oasis) in a swirly bathtub (the Atlantic Ocean) would fare differently then one another under the same conditions.

I have been on 2 Oasis sailings with barf bags out. 

40 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

* Someone at the Captain's Corner asked the Captain (same one for both cruises) where he learned to "drive"...I personally thought the ship handled the 40+ foot swells well.

Agreed, Btw, anyone can still find some of these Capt Corner's on youtube.... takes 30 secs to search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=captt+srecko+captains+corner+quantum&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=captt+srecko+captains+corner+quantum&aqs=chrome..69i57.6558j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

DJLDRUMS should have a chat with Capt Srecko Ban vs the "young" officer, as Capt. Srecko did the sea trials on Quantum, the initial TA movie/documentary as well as the Discovery Channel documentary on the sailing I was on (Dec 1, 2014). I can only paraphrase (I do not have any quote's handy), he said it was the best handling cruise ship he's ever mastered.

In DJLDRUMS defense, many cruisers on that sailing, predominantly those who were in forward and higher balcony cabins, told me specifically that the movement of the ship was more than normal. I agree (and even reported this on my review back in 2014).... this ship "moves" differently than any other ship in the fleet, in what I describe as a figure 8 type of motion (roll, pitch, yaw, etc) rather than just up and down. I think that specific/different movement caused a whole lot of people to think the ship does not perform well in inclement weather.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Capt. Srecko did the sea trials on Quantum, ..., he said it was the best handling cruise ship he's ever mastered.

I was also on the Quantum [maiden voyage] transatlantic and I remember him saying he did the sea trials and was told to "ease up", but he said he wanted to see how the ship would handle extreme situations.

I loved the quantum class ship we were on in Alaska.  I am mid 30's and went with my parents and uncle.  I was able to get a solo room (YAY!!) nd it even had a balcony- normally I'm stuck in an inside to save money, and use my parents balcony.  iFly was great to do once (not my thing) but everyone loved the bumper cars in the SeaPlex.  270 was also a super lot of fun to hang out in.  I hate heights (like I don't like to climb on chairs) but went back for a second round on the North Star because it gave such great views of the ship and port- we did it in both Juneau and Skagway so we could see the land as well as the ship.

We are going back, and are even getting the Key so that we can use the bumper cars more often (the line was usually pretty long).  Maybe the lines for most things were a little longer than the smaller ships- we usually have gone Radiance class- but I really enjoyed it.  I would venture to say that I like the activities on Quantum better than Oasis.  However, the look on my VERY stoic dad's face as he did the bumper cars was amazing.  He looked like a kid again!  You have to imagine a close to retirement age principal, who normally wears a suit every day to work, and getting a glint in his eyes as he turned the car to my mother.... Simply priceless.  And that's what vacations are all about.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

In DJLDRUMS defense, many cruisers on that sailing, predominantly those who were in forward and higher balcony cabins, told me specifically that the movement of the ship was more than normal. I agree (and even reported this on my review back in 2014).... this ship "moves" differently than any other ship in the fleet, in what I describe as a figure 8 type of motion (roll, pitch, yaw, etc) rather than just up and down. I think that specific/different movement caused a whole lot of people to think the ship does not perform well in inclement weather.

Thanks for this info.  I'll make sure hubby has plenty of dramamine, just in case.  We've leaving out of NJ early November, so hopefully will have good weather, but anything can happen.

So far my favorite class of ship has been the Radiance.  I've been on three of that class and it just feels the perfect size and the perfect configuration, definitely sea-focused.  But, each class of ship has pluses and minuses and I'm eager to try out the Anthem.

• Like 1