The Daily for Thursday Jun 24, 2021

richwmn

24 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@kazu  Happy Anniversary 

@Sharon in AZ  Happy Birthday and as far as collapsible vases go, I have several that I’ve used and keep in my documents folder,    Modgy has a great variety and reasonable prices.

Thanks @kazu and @1ANGELCAT for the collapsible vase ideas. And @Cruising-alongtoo!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Added cruising-along
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

How did it work with the shade? Were you happy/unhappy with it?   Our window slides right to left (not up and down) if that makes any difference.  Even though I like a dark room, I like a cool room even more.

We are the same with left to right,  we have two patio doors in our bedroom so I’ve had room darkening sheers with solid vanes but they didn’t block enough light.  I bought darkening drapes for over top and that helps.  I think I will bite the bullet when we next renovate for custom made ones that go floor to ceiling like on the ship.   We like the window open at night as well.   Even In January🤷‍♀️

We never thought we really needed the AC but this year are so glad we did it.  So if you’re thinking about it, it may be worth it.    The big box store still gets our money, since we’ve saved so much not cruising, lol!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We are the same with left to right,  we have two patio doors in our bedroom so I’ve had room darkening sheers with solid vanes but they didn’t block enough light.  I bought darkening drapes for over top and that helps.  I think I will bite the bullet when we next renovate for custom made ones that go floor to ceiling like on the ship.   We like the window open at night as well.   Even In January🤷‍♀️

We never thought we really needed the AC but this year are so glad we did it.  So if you’re thinking about it, it may be worth it.    The big box store still gets our money, since we’ve saved so much not cruising, lol!  

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear -- were you happy with the room A/C?  DH says it could be a problem, as there's a hose that goes out the window??  Sorry to sound dumb, I haven't looked into it myself. Or do you mean you put A/C in the whole house and not just a portable room one?  

We love our room darkening shade, but if a hose has to go out the window...not sure how that would work.  

• Like 9

Good Morning.

Happy Birthday @Sharon in AZ

Happy Anniversary @kazu

It is going to be a long hot day here.  I tried pulling weeds for about 20 minutes before giving into the heat and retreating to the coolness of the house.  I guess I will have to get out later this evening or very early tomorrow morning to get rid of the few remaining pesky weeds.

Val

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear -- were you happy with the room A/C?  DH says it could be a problem, as there's a hose that goes out the window??  Sorry to sound dumb, I haven't looked into it myself. Or do you mean you put A/C in the whole house and not just a portable room one?  

We love our room darkening shade, but if a hose has to go out the window...not sure how that would work.  

We found it didn’t seal well,  we put it in the far window.  To be fair, our bedroom is quite large and on the west side of the house.  So we decided to return it to the big box store and we just put  the central AC upstairs.  We were pleasantly surprised that the cost wasn’t as bad as we expected.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

We found it didn’t seal well,  we put it in the far window.  To be fair, our bedroom is quite large and on the west side of the house.  So we decided to return it to the big box store and we just put  the central AC upstairs.  We were pleasantly surprised that the cost wasn’t as bad as we expected.  

Thanks, I appreciate your input!   -- that's what worries DH, that it won't seal.  Our bedroom is fairly large and western exposure too.  

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

The upper floor of my house, where the bedrooms are, has all ranch windows -- helpful for arranging furniture but not hospitable to window AC of any kind. I also ended up installing central AC for the upstairs. But it has been cold enough overnight recently to have the heat on.

• Like 11

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days, although I'm not shaking hands these days and won't be swimming today.

Funny quote!

As much as I've tried to like it, salmon is not for me. I like the drink and wine. And Roy's soup.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for pictures from those who have been there.

Late today, as I had an eye appointment this morning. The right eye has been quiet long enough from the uveitis that she thinks it's ok to go ahead with cataract surgery. She did say that the cataract has gotten hard, so it will be somewhat more technically difficult. Also my uveitis may flare after, and more concerning I could develop macular edema as a post-op complication. But I have very little sight in the eye to start with, so I will proceed and pray for a good outcome. I'm scheduled for July 20, barring any significant flares in the eye before then. Now to get an appointment with my PCP for clearance.

@Sharon in AZ Happy Birthday!

@Mr. Boston, @StLouisCruisers Safe travels.

@mamaofami Hoping Sam is feeling better and that he gets the CT today. I also hope life gets less stressful for you.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana.

@cunnorl Enjoy your niece's visit.

@kazu Happy Anniversary!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

The right eye has been quiet long enough from the uveitis that she thinks it's ok to go ahead with cataract surgery.

My grandson (age 25), had his 1st Moderna shot & developed uveitis in his right eye only ---- been on several steroid drops & oral steroids....off & on improvement in the blurriness & his eye pressure varies from normal to fairly high.....needless to say, he cancelled his 2nd shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

My grandson (age 25), had his 1st Moderna shot & developed uveitis in his right eye only ---- been on several steroid drops & oral steroids....off & on improvement in the blurriness & his eye pressure varies from normal to fairly high.....needless to say, he cancelled his 2nd shot.

Oh, I hadn't heard of that association, although the vaccine revs up the immune system and most uveitis is thought to be autoimmune.

I've had the uveitis since January 2018, so not associated with my Moderna vaccines. I've been through the steroid drops, oral steroids, Plaquenil, Cellcept, Methotrexate and Humira, which either didn't work or gave me intolerable side effects. Now just on steroid drops and low dose oral steroids and doing pretty well. Fortunately my eye pressure doesn't go up with steroid drops. I hope his uveitis resolves soon. 

• Like 11

Just now, kb4683 said:

@kazu wishing you many more!  (If only that was a BHB out there!)

image.png.a1d31e7f4758a801c68bc347662532c1.png

ahh thanks.  I know.  We were supposed to be on a BHB for our 25th - that didn’t happen.  I fear by the time we can celebrate our 25th on a BHB it may be our 27th 😢 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love the Fairy day. Do not do handshakes right now, and while I float in the pool, I don't do laps.  Sorry about the loud music Debbie, they need to listen to their patrons.  I hope you find another one soon.  The Lincoln quote is great!  Will save the meal for another day, DH loves Salmon but I don't.  I do like Roy's chilled soups.  Have not been to today's port.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.  Happy Birthday to those celebrating today.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and continue to wear your mask.

Banana Daiquiri:

2 large bananas, sliced, divided

1 cup coconut milk, divided

1 lime, juiced, divided

1/2 cup sugar, divided

6 cups ice, divided

4 ounces white rum, optional, divided

Directions
1479690021844.jpeg 

1. Into a blender add 1 banana, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 of the lime juice, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and 3 cups of ice and add 2 ounces of rum if desired. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into 2 tall glasses.

I have heard of the drink but I have never had one.

• Like 2

@JazzyVso sorry about your eye troubles.  Our DD who lives with us has ocular rosacea and really severe dry eye.  She wears goggles around the house and the only thing that really helps her now is the steroid drops.  She tries not to use them too often and has her pressures checked regularly.   I think she is so brave (and you, too), because I really can't bear to have anyone come near my eyes.  I had to have laser surgery once  - iridotomies because I have narrow angles...  (??)  and just about had a nervous breakdown around it!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

@JazzyVso sorry about your eye troubles.  Our DD who lives with us has ocular rosacea and really severe dry eye.  She wears goggles around the house and the only thing that really helps her now is the steroid drops.  She tries not to use them too often and has her pressures checked regularly.   I think she is so brave (and you, too), because I really can't bear to have anyone come near my eyes.  I had to have laser surgery once  - iridotomies because I have narrow angles...  (??)  and just about had a nervous breakdown around it!  

I had an Epiretinal Membrane pealed from my eye in a Vitrectomy operation in February.

The consultant put in an intra ocular lens for a cataract at the same time.

For the first time in 20 years I can drive without varifocal glasses and only need glasses for reading.

I was wary but it turned out brilliantly for me.

The consultant agreed to put me on a short waiting list to do a cataract op on my other eye.

Graham.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I had an Epiretinal Membrane pealed from my eye in a Vitrectomy operation in February.

The consultant put in an intra ocular lens for a cataract at the same time.

For the first time in 20 years I can drive without varifocal glasses and only need glasses for reading.

I was wary but it turned out brilliantly for me.

The consultant agreed to put me on a short waiting list to do a cataract op on my other eye.

Graham.

I can’t bear the thought of it!

• Like 8

Happy Anniversary Jackie and Jose;  Happy Birthday Sharon.

We had a cool day yesterday with a little bit of much needed rain.Today seems like it will be quite hot again. Oh well, that is the trade off for not having cold and snow.

My son is here visiting from Tulsa. I hadn't seen him in almost 2 years because of Covid. Tomorrow we  plan to go to Sedona and stay for a week so I will be reading but not posting.

Update re Kakalena:  She has decided to undergo radiation and will be fitted for the bracing and whatever goes along with radiation tomorrow.  She is hopeful that the treatments will begin within the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4