Are you going to be giving more & bigger tips on your upcoming cruises?

I have worked in retail since I was 16. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a $2 bill being used to payment. On the rare occasion when we did get one nobody wanted it for their change.  Last week a customer paid in 25 Susan B Anthony dollars. We thought he was a ****. Nobody wants them for change either.  If you want to be cute fold a dollar bill into an origami swan.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

What a dumb comment.  I have never had Any issue with two dollar bills and no store has ever refused them.  

let me guess - is it because you are in the States? Ever tried that in, say, Costa Rica? Croatia? 

And, no, my knowledge is not second hand. In some countries I've been to they won't even take $20 bills unless they are crisp and new looking.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

let me guess - is it because you are in the States? Ever tried that in, say, Costa Rica? Croatia? 

You got me.

Since I only sail from the U.S. and have no desire to go to Costa Rica or Croatia I can wholeheartedly agree with you.

I believe every country has unwanted cosmetic currency. $2 bills seem cute but they don't spend well here...imagine trying to do that in a foreign country. Remember they often send this money back home to their families.

Since about June of 2020 I have been managing, also occasionally filling in with service, a restaurant. My deal is if you get provided a service you should tip accordingly. Some of my servers work hard and receive nothing, while still having to pay out the busser, bartenders and host. RCG has a daily gratuity that is added to services. As long as you don't remove this, I still think you are a decent human being....not that my opinion matters🤣

I always tip a little extra because I start at 20% and go up or down based on service. I believe an extra $20 per person to the room steward based on a week or less of occupancy is fair. $10-15 pp to the waitstaff and $1 per drink if you don't have the DBP. I may or may not be tipping more, it really all comes down to service. But when I do tip its in regular USD paper money. No Sacagawea coins or $2 bills....also who is carrying that much change around?

2 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

What a dumb comment.  I have never had Any issue with two dollar bills and no store has ever refused them.  

Outside of the US  you will have a hard time using them.   We are regulars at a few bars and restaurants in Cabo.  Since the waiters know us, they come over with 2 dollar bills, ripped USD and US coins (that they we given as tips) - none of which can they use in Mexico.  I give them either USD or Pesos depending on how much I have with me.

I have a bank account in Mexico and tried to deposit them, and the bank would not accept them either.  

I would guess the ship would take them, but high probability  the Caribbean islands would not.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

100% virtue signaling.  Nothing like being magnanimous on a message board...

Tipping extra on ships works....some of y'all should try it.  Tipping threads always bring out the best in folks.  IYKWIM.  

The $2 bill thing...Clemson fans do that crap when they travel.  Stamp tiger paws all over them.  There is a reason many banks don't even keep them around..you have to ask them to get them for you.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

3 hours ago, BND said:

We always tip well and will continue to.

As for $2 bills there have been reports of crew not liking them because they can be hard to use.  Even harder in other countries that normally take US dollars.    While people consider it unique to give $2 bills and dollar coins, the crew just wants cash and they're not looking for cute or unique.

Can crew go to guest services and exchange the $2 bill for $1 bills?

5 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Can crew go to guest services and exchange the $2 bill for $1 bills?

I don't think they can utilize "guest" services as they aren't guests, but they possibly have a way to exchange money/get change in the crew spaces, but all I've ever seen online/videos is that they have non-cash accounts just like guests and they can add money to them.  Haven't seen anything about any type of onboard "bank".  

Edited by BND

Both my adult sons are over tippers. They found out on our first family cruise that they had been tipping on top of the 18% service fee, and they looked at each other and said, "No wonder there's a thundering herd of bar waiters coming at us all the time!".  Then, they kept on doing it.

Younger son used to give out my spare cash to homeless people all the time.  He also would put extra cash on a table where he thought the waiter/waitress wasn't getting tipped enough. This is when he was 9 years old..........

Older son pays for everything for everybody he's with.

It's just their natural way of being.

I'm not bragging; just explaining that some people are just inclined to do this because of their nature, and it doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else.  We all have our own inner guidance system.

P.S.  Their father was a horrible tipper until our son starting working as a busboy when he was 14.  Dad got a BIG lecture about it, and changed his ways.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pcur said:

Both my adult sons are over tippers. They found out on our first family cruise that they had been tipping on top of the 18% service fee, and they looked at each other and said, "No wonder there's a thundering herd of bar waiters coming at us all the time!".  

This....I like their style...a little cash left for a drink works wonders.  18% that the cruise line collected be damned.  

I have found that I have been more aware of how much tip I've left since returning to dining after covid. Try to be more generous. But, I still have a hard time with the entire tipping concept. No one tips me if I do a superior job in my profession. To me, these people should be paid better wages to start with, or include the cost of the tip in the charges to the customer. Expecting everyone to understand that they don't receive what they should is not evenly divided. Some I know still think $1pp for dinner is an adequate tip.

To me the dsc should be included in the cruise cost. Then if I want to tip more I will.

54 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

A lot of people like Two Buck Chuck, but some frown on Two Dollar Bill.

The crew like money, be it two dollar bills or toonies, matter of fact they will take Loonies and Toonies.

Two buck Chuck is up to $3 now.  

@vswan I agree and disagree, usually in the service industry you are paying someone to do something you could do for yourself. My belief is if you cannot afford to tip then get your food to go. I agree that people should be paid living wages but my aforementioned reasoning is why they get paid so little. If you are an engineer, doctor, accountant etc. you are providing a service that most people cannot do themselves.....thus you are paid a fair wage. A restaurant makes the same per meal regardless of dinning status, but they have more overhead when it comes to dining in. While some people would say they wouldn't mind paying more to avoid tipping, many would not.

I like that many of the cruise lines include a daily gratuity as there are many people, who you don't often see, making the cruise amazing. Baring the reasonable expectations when dinning in, a tip should be only given freely or for exceptional service. It seems like everyone wants a tip with very little service provided......cough*cough* Starbucks cough*cough*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Tipping extra on ships works....some of y'all should try it.  Tipping threads always bring out the best in folks.  IYKWIM.  

The $2 bill thing...Clemson fans do that crap when they travel.  Stamp tiger paws all over them.  There is a reason many banks don't even keep them around..you have to ask them to get them for you.  

I've never received sub-par service based on tipping or not. 

I've seen bartenders give preferential treatment on busy times to people they allow to jump the line.  Just let them know that you read their nametags and you'll get the same level of service.  An extra $100 in tips isn't worth as much as a couple of complaints at the end of the week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

A lot of groups will flood an area (relatively speaking) with $2 bills.  It demonstrates that they are spending their money in your community and you ought to respect it.

Americans are irrationally stubborn about $2 bills.  Canada uses them without any problem, and uses dollar coins a lot more.  $1 bills are not a cost effective way for the government to print money.

18 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

A lot of groups will flood an area (relatively speaking) with $2 bills.  It demonstrates that they are spending their money in your community and you ought to respect it.

Americans are irrationally stubborn about $2 bills.  Canada uses them without any problem, and uses dollar coins a lot more.  $1 bills are not a cost effective way for the government to print money.

Canadians have to accept the $2 bill, thete is no $1 bill anymore. Heck, the Euro smallest bill is a 5.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

I hate both Loonies and Twoonies!  The weight in your pockets becomes unbearable!  I wish Canada had never gotten rid of the 1 and 2 dollar bills.  

• Haha 1

Just now, CSHS1979 said:

Canadians have to accept the $2 bill, thete is no $1 bill anymore. Heck, the Euro smallest bill is a 5.

There are no more $2 dollar bills anymore.  It's all loonies and twoonies now.

• Thanks 1